• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who would replace a Trump if he quits?

haymarket

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Lots of speculation that Trump should or may step down as GOP nominee over the last 24 hours. I do NOT think this will happen - but lets play along and pretend it does.

Here is the Republican Party rule on this matter

According to Rule 9 – Filling Vacancies in Nominations” -- of the Rules of the Party on the GOP website:
“(a) The Republican National Committee is hereby authorized and empowered to fill any and all vacancies which may occur by reason of death, declination, or otherwise of the Republican candidate for President of the United States…as nominated by the national convention, or the Republican National Committee may reconvene the national convention for the purpose of filling any such vacancies.
“(b) In voting under this rule, the Republican National Committee members representing any state shall be entitled to cast the same number of votes as said state was entitled to cast at the national convention.
“(c) In the event that the members of the Republican National Committee from any state shall not be in agreement in the casting of votes hereunder, the votes of such state shall be divided equally, including fractional votes, among the members of the Republican National Committee present or voting by proxy.
“(d) No candidate shall be chosen to fill any such vacancy except upon receiving a majority of the votes entitled to be cast in the election.”

In other words, the GOP could convene another convention (unlikely), or it could ask state delegates to vote again. There has been a debate within the party about whether delegates can be “bound” to a candidate, but Rule 16 says they are.

So who do you think we would then get?

I suspect they would go to Ted Cruz but Pence is not out of the logical reasoning as well.

And this does not take into consideration the individual ballot access laws in each of the 50 states.

Thoughts on the possibilities are encouraged.

Last edited:
Lots of speculation that Trump should or may step down as GOP nominee over the last 24 hours. I do NOT think this will happen - but lets play along and pretend it does.

Here is the Republican Party rule on this matter

In other words, the GOP could convene another convention (unlikely), or it could ask state delegates to vote again. There has been a debate within the party about whether delegates can be “bound” to a candidate, but Rule 16 says they are.

So who do you think we would then get?

I suspect they would go to Ted Cruz but Pence is not out of the logical reasoning as well.

And this does not take into consideration the individual ballot access laws in each of the 50 states.

Thoughts on the possibilities are encouraged.

I don't think it will ever happen either.

But if it does and it's given to Cruz, do you think he has to keep Fiorina as VP? I think he could do much better.

Ummmm.....what?

Link maybe? Source?

This thread was motivated by a lengthy discussion on Morning Joe on MSNBC this morning where Scarborough quite clearly said that in the last 12 hours it has become a topic conversation among Republicans he knows from his days as a Florida GOP US Representative.

I don't think it will ever happen either.

But if it does and it's given to Cruz, do you think he has to keep Fiorina as VP? I think he could do much better.

Now that would be an interesting wrinkle in the whole situation. I wonder if Cruz would insist on Fiorina or if that would also be open for something new?

This thread was motivated by a lengthy discussion on Morning Joe on MSNBC this morning where Scarborough quite clearly said that in the last 12 hours it has become a topic conversation among Republicans he knows from his days as a Florida GOP US Representative.
Let me guess? Was one of them Romney? Kinda tells me that a third party candidate resulting from disaffected-to-Trump GOP voters is still not in the works. Will this activity ever gain any traction? Some of Scarborough's friends in Florida must think so. Jeb!? Rubio? Aw heck, all they can do is elect Hillary.

I would think Pence would still be in the picture. It would be smart to pair him with a less flamboyant nominee like a Kasich. Most Trump supporters will probably still vote because of the hatred of Hillary. A Kasich could win over independents and lockdown traditional republican votes.

Now that would be an interesting wrinkle in the whole situation. I wonder if Cruz would insist on Fiorina or if that would also be open for something new?

Idk. I think he picked her just because she's a business woman and he was up against Trump. I don't think any smart politician thinks that Carly Fiorina is ready to step in as president should something happen to Potus.

I would think Pence would still be in the picture. It would be smart to pair him with a less flamboyant nominee like a Kasich. Most Trump supporters will probably still vote because of the hatred of Hillary. A Kasich could win over independents and lockdown traditional republican votes.
You think Kasich will lock down traditional Republicans? With his stance on illegal immigration? What are you smoking?

You think Kasich will lock down traditional Republicans? With is stance on illegal immigration? What are you smoking?
Like he can't change his rhetoric on immigration? Kasich hasn't been dragged through the mud all that much. He has a fairly clean slate to build a run on. He is the best republican candidate for independent voters and has at least been seen in the primaries. Older republicans are very pro Kasich from what I've seen.

Like he can't change his rhetoric on immigration? Kasich hasn't been dragged through the mud all that much. He has a fairly clean slate to build a run on. He is the best republican candidate for independent voters and has at least been seen in the primaries. Older republicans are very pro Kasich from what I've seen.
How many GOP primaries or caucuses did he win other than his home state of Ohio?

You think Kasich will lock down traditional Republicans? With his stance on illegal immigration? What are you smoking?

Kasich would crush Hillary in the general. But you are right, Republicans won't nominate him.

How many GOP primaries or caucuses did he win other than his home state of Ohio?
Who cares? Do you think that with Hillary Clinton running against him republicans wouldn't turn out for Kasich? I understand that the ever expanding "rightness" of the GOP makes Kasich seem like a moderate at best, but he could actually win the election. What would your choice be?

What insipid tripe coming from MSNBC. Why in any scenario would Trump step down? He systematically crushed all his opponents. Why would he just all of a sudden step down to be replaced by a loser?

Jeb Bush? Does ANYONE really want another Bush in the White House?
Kasich? Who? The guy carried ONE state. Most voters didn't even know he existed.
Rubio? The annointed one? He probably won't get re-elected in his own state, he crashed and burnt so hard.
Cruz? Again...tainted.

I can only think of two individuals who could replace Donald Trump. Bernie Madoff, of course, but I don't think he could run from prison. That would leave Rep. Hank Johnson. He's a lifelong Democrat like Mr. Trump and is Donald Trump's intellectual equal. They have similar views of the Constitution and both think debt is great.

Back
Top Bottom