• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who won the midterms?

Who won the midterm elections?

• I'm a Democrat and think the Dems won.

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • I'm a Republican and think the Dems won.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • I'm a Democrat and think the Reps won.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a Republican and think the Reps won.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • I belong to no party but think the Dems won.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • I belong to no party but think the Reps won.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MTAtech

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
According to a recent article, "[t]he poll's most unusual finding is that six-in-ten Republicans, even after their party lost 40 seats and control of the House, join thirds of Democrats in calling the mid-term elections positive for the country. After the Democratic Party suffered similar wipeouts in 1994 and 2010, majorities of Democrats felt negatively about the outcomes."

The Dems obviously won and I think if there had been a lot more GOP seats up in swing districts they'd have taken the senate too.

This is not however general praise to the Dems for being 'better', but fairly standard midterm trouncing: these elections are always a referendum on a sitting president and his party. Trump's approval has dipped and he has legal woes; people are feeling hurt by some policies such as cuts to obamacare and stagnant wages; and after two years of being in power the GOP hasn't really helped them as they'd hoped when they voted them in. If voters don't see promises kept they go the other way.

We can quite reliably expect the pendulum to swing in the opposite direction in midterms, just as it did under Obama, when the Dems took a 'shellacking'.

According to a recent article, "[t]he poll's most unusual finding is that six-in-ten Republicans, even after their party lost 40 seats and control of the House, join thirds of Democrats in calling the mid-term elections positive for the country. After the Democratic Party suffered similar wipeouts in 1994 and 2010, majorities of Democrats felt negatively about the outcomes."

Keeping the Senate majority was a positive outcome for republicants, while taking the House majority was a positive outcome for demorats - I voted that the demorats won overall since having a simple majority in the House is better than having a simple majority in the Senate for 'budget' control power.

Need a "who cares?" option.

That's a no brainer -- even for us Independents.

It was a tsunami for the Democrats.

Give the Devil his/her due.

The Democrats may wisely decide not to impeach the President, for that might in some way weaken their chances to win back the White House in 2020.

But the House (along with vindictive elected officials in the liberal states) are going to harass President Trump for the next two years. They will do everything possible to bring him up on some trumped-up charges after he leaves the White House.

Yes, sir/ma'am. The Dems won big, big, big. They are now in the driver's seat. The media love it, for the next two years will be unprecedented for political venom on both sides of the aisle.

I can only weep for our poor country.

Last edited:

Red:
Altruism perhaps inspired that sentiment among the polled individuals?

I voted the Dems won BUT the Republicans had a tsunami in Obama's first midterm and this was a moderate wave for the Dems in Trump's first midterm. In other words, the Dems did far worse in this midterm compared to the Republican tsunami in 2010. So, one could argue that the Dems lost in comparison. Still, 40 house seats turned here in 2018 compared to Reps picking up two Senate seats is definitely a win for the D's, not to mention state and local race pickups, which also far lagged what Reps did in 2010. So, if I were the Dems, I wouldn't be dancing in the streets. As much as liberals believed that Trump is the biggest most obnoxious idiot on the planet they couldn't even come close to what the Republicans did to Obama in 2010. Trump is president now because of the left's total and complete arrogance and if they return to that form after this midterm, they haven't learned one damn thing.

Manipulation of the gullible who think that a 2 party system still makes sense?

Manipulation of the gullible who think that a 2 party system still makes sense?

How many electoral votes did the Green Party get in the 2016 election?

How many electoral votes did the Green Party get in the 2016 election?

You are making my point. The manipulation seems to work, because most of us are too reluctant, too scared to vote for any but the 2 mayor parties and are taken for granted by both sides.

I don't know who won, but I sure know who lost.

You are making my point. The manipulation seems to work, because most of us are too reluctant, too scared to vote for any but the 2 mayor parties and are taken for granted by both sides.

We the sheeple are expected to choose a candidate from either the party for a bigger federal government or the party for a huge federal government. We typically end up with a mix and thus get the bipartisan compromise of increased federal power and expense.

Flipping the House was a pretty big deal. And, considering all the red state Dems up for re-election, losing only two net senate seats was probably the best outcome the Dems could have hoped for. None of that happens if Hillary is president.

Flipping the House was a pretty big deal. And, considering all the red state Dems up for re-election, losing only two net senate seats was probably the best outcome the Dems could have hoped for. None of that happens if Hillary is president.

Perhaps, yet it won't likely result in any major legislative changes. Federal deficit spending will continue regardless of which party has the congressional majority. It does take some pressure off of Trump and the republicants since it can no longer be said that republicants control congress freeing them up to paint Pelosi and her demorats as the true boogie (wo?)men preventing ever more MAGA.

With a 40 seat house pick up, I can see no other choice that the Democrats won the midterms in a big fashion. Call it a blue wave. The classic definition of a wave election is when one party gains 30 or more seats and regains control of the house. That is exactly what happened.

We've actually had four wave elections, 1994 Republicans gain 54 seats and control of the house for the first time in 40 years. 2006 when the Democrats gained 33 seats and regained control of the house. 2010, a 63 seat pick up for the Republicans and gaining the house once again. Then this year's 40 seat pickup for the Democrats.

We've had 3 wave elections by the classic definition in 12 years, four since 1994. Prior to 1994, you have to go all the way back to 1948 for the next wave election. A span of 46 years between wave election. What's amazing about right after WWII you had two wave elections in a row, 1946 when the Republican picked up 56 seats and 1948 when the democrats pickup 75 seats.

So why so many wave elections recently? 3 in 12 years or 4 in 24. Could it be the rise in independents, the swing voter who are not affiliated with either major party. In 1946 and 48 independents made up 23% of the total electorate. In 1994 independents had increased to 33% as the two major parties shrunk. 2006 independents remained at 33%, increased to 37% in 2010 and now stand at 41% today. That a lot more folks who can swing back and forth as they have been known to do.

So the next question, why no wave election between 1948 and 1994? Probably because prior to the 1990's both parties had their liberal and conservative wings. The Republicans their liberal Rockefeller Republicans of the Northeast, the democrats their conservative solid south. Today one party was moved to the far right, the other to the far left which creates a gulf, a canyon effect. When the Republicans take over, they try to shift the country to the far right. When the democrats take over, they try to take the country to the far left.

1994 the Democrats controlled all branches of government, congress went Republican. But were held in check by President Bill Clinton from moving too far right. Under Bush, no such restraint. 2006 happened when the GOP controlled both the congress and presidency. 2010 happened when the democrats controlled both the presidency and congress. Independents rebellion against a push too far right in 2006 and too far left in 2010.

2018, a rebellion against Trump. What do you think? The Republican had controlled both congress and the presidency. Not any more.

flipping the House paled in comparison to the red tsunami of 2010. In other words, Obama was far, far more unpopular at his first midterm than Trump is now.

Perhaps, yet it won't likely result in any major legislative changes. Federal deficit spending will continue regardless of which party has the congressional majority. It does take some pressure off of Trump and the republicants since it can no longer be said that republicants control congress freeing them up to paint Pelosi and her demorats as the true boogie (wo?)men preventing ever more MAGA.

It's a big deal to Calamity because it means nonstop investigation of Trump. That is all they really want to accomplish. Screw Americans.

It's a big deal to Calamity because it means nonstop investigation of Trump. That is all they really want to accomplish. Screw Americans.

Actually, that is not bad political strategy at all. Trump won in 2016 by taking a good share of the "please not Hillary" vote and the demorats want to do the same in 2020 by taking a good share of the "please no more Trump" vote.

With a 40 seat house pick up, I can see no other choice that the Democrats won the midterms in a big fashion. Call it a blue wave. The classic definition of a wave election is when one party gains 30 or more seats and regains control of the house. That is exactly what happened.

We've actually had four wave elections, 1994 Republicans gain 54 seats and control of the house for the first time in 40 years. 2006 when the Democrats gained 33 seats and regained control of the house. 2010, a 63 seat pick up for the Republicans and gaining the house once again. Then this year's 40 seat pickup for the Democrats.

We've had 3 wave elections by the classic definition in 12 years, four since 1994. Prior to 1994, you have to go all the way back to 1948 for the next wave election. A span of 46 years between wave election. What's amazing about right after WWII you had two wave elections in a row, 1946 when the Republican picked up 56 seats and 1948 when the democrats pickup 75 seats.

So why so many wave elections recently? 3 in 12 years or 4 in 24. Could it be the rise in independents, the swing voter who are not affiliated with either major party. In 1946 and 48 independents made up 23% of the total electorate. In 1994 independents had increased to 33% as the two major parties shrunk. 2006 independents remained at 33%, increased to 37% in 2010 and now stand at 41% today. That a lot more folks who can swing back and forth as they have been known to do.

So the next question, why no wave election between 1948 and 1994? Probably because prior to the 1990's both parties had their liberal and conservative wings. The Republicans their liberal Rockefeller Republicans of the Northeast, the democrats their conservative solid south. Today one party was moved to the far right, the other to the far left which creates a gulf, a canyon effect. When the Republicans take over, they try to shift the country to the far right. When the democrats take over, they try to take the country to the far left.

1994 the Democrats controlled all branches of government, congress went Republican. But were held in check by President Bill Clinton from moving too far right. Under Bush, no such restraint. 2006 happened when the GOP controlled both the congress and presidency. 2010 happened when the democrats controlled both the presidency and congress. Independents rebellion against a push too far right in 2006 and too far left in 2010.

2018, a rebellion against Trump. What do you think? The Republican had controlled both congress and the presidency. Not any more.

Pretty good analysis. Both sides make the mistake in thinking that their base has something to do with them being elected. Independents are the one who decide elections, not anyone's base. We have been stuck in this never ending see saw for quite a while now. Independent voters have been making sure that no one party keeps control for very long.

That argument reminds me of those that believe in a secret society that control the country. There supporting evidence is that they aren't publicly visible.

Likewise, if the Greens did well, that would be support abandoning the two-party system, while them losing support abandoning the two-party system.

I agree. But the point brought out in the poll is that many Republicans are deluding themselves into thinking that they won. Doing that eliminates the postmortem that useful for the next election. In essence, they learned nothing. What they should have learned was that they are in trouble when the only way Republicans can win is when they have their thumb on the scale -- gerrymandering and suppressing opposition voters.

I agree. But the point brought out in the poll is that many Republicans are deluding themselves into thinking that they won. Doing that eliminates the postmortem that useful for the next election. In essence, they learned nothing. What they should have learned was that they are in trouble when the only way Republicans can win is when they have their thumb on the scale -- gerrymandering and suppressing opposition voters.

Many Democrats are deluding themselves that they won. The fact is, midterm voters rejected Obama to a much larger degree than midterm voters rejected Trump. Democrats need to stop and assess that fact. And, the reason that Trump is president today is due to the massive arrogance of the left who thought Trump could never win and the Republican party was dead forever and here they are yet again, believing that very same thing.

Many Democrats are deluding themselves that they won. The fact is, midterm voters rejected Obama to a much larger degree than midterm voters rejected Trump. Democrats need to stop and assess that fact. And, the reason that Trump is president today is due to the massive arrogance of the left who thought Trump could never win and the Republican party was dead forever and here they are yet again, believing that very same thing.
My point exactly -- Republican denial of reality. (Just as they deny science.)

Rejected Obama, who wasn't running? I guess that's why 41% of voters felt that health care was the #1 issue. What was that health care plan called "whats-his-name-Care?"

Republicans lost women, minorities and suburban areas. They won when they cheated (see below).

Kemp lied about Democrats hacking the Georgia voter registration system to create a last-minute explosive issue to sway the election

Now, you can wallow in denial that the Dems didn't actually give the Republicans a whipping and you can choose to not learn anything.

Back
Top Bottom