• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who won the midterms?

Who won the midterm elections?

• I'm a Democrat and think the Dems won.

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • I'm a Republican and think the Dems won.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • I'm a Democrat and think the Reps won.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a Republican and think the Reps won.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • I belong to no party but think the Dems won.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • I belong to no party but think the Reps won.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I understand. This is mine:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida's_4th_congressional_district#/media/File:FL04_115.png

I think the dems bothered to run in this district 3 times since Y2K. It's that much of a Republican lock. If they added in the city that sits in the donut hole, it would be purple or blue. It actually went purple in 2018 - Trump effect.

Why let voters pick their House representatives when the House representatives' party's buddies can pick their voters instead?

The absurd conclusion is that when Republicans chase out Democrats from every aspect of politics for eight years that it is all attributed to gerrymandering. I'm still waiting to hear how the presidency, the Senate, and the governorships are gerrymandered.

Some 3 million more Americans voted for the Democratic candidate in 2016 than for Trump. In the 2018 election, Democratic senatorial candidates received 40 million votes in total while Republican senatorial candidates received 31 million votes in total. Even a majority of the American population is governed by Democratic governors. https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/11/democrats-governors/575185/

If you actually look at votes casts by citizens of the United States, the Republican Party has been a minority party for years. The only reason why Republicans have power is that our system gives a hugely disproportionate amount power to rural areas. Example, Wyoming gets 2 senators, California, with 77 times the population, gets 2 senators. A Democratic governor of a state with 20 million people is governing more people than 5 Republican governors are of states with 2 million people in each.

However, you are only fooling yourself if you don't accept the fact that our nation's rapidly changing demographics will end up being the deathknell to the Republican Party if they continue down the road of courting racists and bigots in the parties base, rather than being a party whose base actually looks like America. The Republican Party's base is just 3% black. The country is not just 3% black. Only 14% of Hispanics identify as Republican. Only a small minority of Asians identify as Republican. The Republican Party is old, white, rural and largely evangelical - all demographic groups that are declining. That is not a winning formula for the future.

Some 3 million more Americans voted for the Democratic candidate in 2016 than for Trump. In the 2018 election, Democratic senatorial candidates received 40 million votes in total while Republican senatorial candidates received 31 million votes in total. Even a majority of the American population is governed by Democratic governors. https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/11/democrats-governors/575185/

If you actually look at votes casts by citizens of the United States, the Republican Party has been a minority party for years. The only reason why Republicans have power is that our system gives a hugely disproportionate amount power to rural areas. Example, Wyoming gets 2 senators, California, with 77 times the population, gets 2 senators. A Democratic governor of a state with 20 million people is governing more people than 5 Republican governors are of states with 2 million people in each.

However, you are only fooling yourself if you don't accept the fact that our nation's rapidly changing demographics will end up being the deathknell to the Republican Party if they continue down the road of courting racists and bigots in the parties base, rather than being a party whose base actually looks like America. The Republican Party's base is just 3% black. The country is not just 3% black. Only 14% of Hispanics identify as Republican. Only a small minority of Asians identify as Republican. The Republican Party is old, white, rural and largely evangelical - all demographic groups that are declining. That is not a winning formula for the future.

Spin doctor.

Back
Top Bottom