• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who won the Delaware Senate debate?

Who won the debate?

• Christine O'Donnell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Christopher Coons

Votes: 15 100.0%
  • draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BCR

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
I know it's not over yet so this thread is premature but I have to leave and was only able to catch a few minutes, those few minutes were entertaining though.

"Do you believe evolution is a myth?" that question clearly made O'Donnell uncomfortable and she refused to answer the question though she did say she thought creationism should be taught in schools.

That idea is outrageous, when will they learn..Evolution=loads of evidence, Creationism= absolutely no evidence. Why would a science class teach something with zero evidence to support it?

Last edited:
I do think Coons won but there were some comments and perspectives that O'Donnell raised that brought up good points and she scored with them. One was the issue of education and taking reforms down to the classroom/teacher level. On the other hand, she flopped with her attempt to score comic relief with the comment about her SNL appearance. Overall, she might have made more of an impression if she did not get flustered so easily in the beginning of the debate - she was not well coached, or so it seemed.

I did appreciate Coons' use of some specifics with regard to spending cuts (getting rid of some DOD programs that even DOD does not want).

So I have to give it to Coons but O'Donell did not completely flop. Just not sure she has much of substance at this point to back up her opinions.

The great thing about debates for the so-called declared loser or underwhelming performer is that it might not make a dent in the polls. Then, a debate (though, we could use the term loosely because of how debates these days are conducted) rarely matches up with the demands of the job position. It is mostly a reflection of our campaigning demands rather than our job performance demands. However, that does not mean a voting public will not consider a poor debate to be a reflection upon a particular candidacy.

Last edited:
O'Donnell Calls Coons 'a Marxist' During Senate Debate - NYTimes.com

Pressed by CNN anchor Wolf Blitzer, Ms. O’Donnell refused to say whether she believed evolution was a myth, saying that “what I believe is irrelevant.” As she did throughout the first half of the debate, Ms. O’Donnell quickly tried to return the focus to Mr. Coons, saying, “I would argue there are more people who support my Catholic faith than his Marxist belief.”

I think that says it all. She is a candidate for public office, so her beliefs are relevant. She is some one who cries about personal attacks, them stoops to them. She failed on any kind of specifics when asked about policy. Coons was not great, but he did far and away better, which considering his lead in the polls, is more than good enough.

Who knew that looking pretty, memorizing far right wing talking points and accusing your opponent of not adhering to said talking points would get you national attention as a candidate? It won't get you elected, however; but that is par for the course for O'Donnell, ain't it.

Regards from Rosie

Debates are like a boxing match. Your boxer landed the most effective punches while the other camp thinks their boxer landed the most effective punches.

Rarely will you hear a camp admit their boxer got his lunch handed to him.

I have to say O'Donnell did a lot better than I thought she would. But she was not specific a lot of the time, often resorting to the typical BASIC fiscally conservative ideals... cut spending, make government more efficient, reduce taxes, etc... that's great and all, but how would she actually do those things?

Coons didn't do amazing either, but I'd still say he was the better of the two during the debate.

I think she secured her spot as a Fox News contributor and a book deal with Regnery.

She couldn't name a single recent SCOTUS decision she disagreed with. "I'll put it up on my website."

I was pretty neutral until O'Donnell couldn't even name a Supreme Court decision she disagreed with. I actually heard a Republican stradegist say that making fun of her is the "sexist media"; are you kidding me?? It's like we can't make fun of dumb people anymore. Any politician can run on lower taxes and theocratic neo-conservative cookie cutter views; a strong politician holds their own personal beliefs and knows what they're talking about.

I was pretty neutral until O'Donnell couldn't even name a Supreme Court decision she disagreed with. I actually heard a Republican stradegist say that making fun of her is the "sexist media"; are you kidding me?? It's like we can't make fun of dumb people anymore. Any politician can run on lower taxes and theocratic neo-conservative cookie cutter views; a strong politician holds their own personal beliefs and knows what they're talking about.

Along as she has Google, she will be fine...............

I didn't even hear this debate, but I had Limbaugh's show on for a bit otw to work today, and he was all like.

"Yeah, she ripped up the other guy, did great, damn, she was good".

And such.

Analyzed a few sound clips and the like, all with positive spin.

Which seems counter to most comments here :D.

Not really surprising, that.

But I'm reserving judgment until (if ever) I see a recording of the debate...

Dear God.

I just watched the debate in its entirety -- up to now, I had only seen bits and pieces.

Is that woman serious? With such views, how can she possibly hope to win any more votes than the Tea-Party minority? I suppose I shouldn't have asked -- it may turn out that the Republicans vote for her just because she's not a Democrat, even if they recognise her views are taken from Glenn Beck's book series word-for-word.

My God.

With political viewpoints like yours, I'm sure you could understand how it would go. If a few ideas of yours carry political weight during a given election season, you could see some serious pull in your direction.

I don't think it would take much imagination.

Jim Rash would have won the debate, woot! :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom