• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who will win the first debate?

Who wins the first debate?

• Donald Trump

Votes: 33 33.0%
  • Joe Biden

Votes: 45 45.0%
  • Tie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trick question, they'll both underperform

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Chris Wallace

Votes: 14 14.0%

• Total voters

BrotherFease

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Kind of an odd question. Who do you think who perform the best at the first round of debates?

Keep in mind the following things:

The 1960 presidential debate between Kennedy and Nixon set the tone for the rest of the debates. Nixon was recovering from a knee injury on the campaign trial. He was constantly sweating and looked exhausted after trying to campaign in all 50 states. Kennedy looked rested and articulate.

George W. Bush in 2000 and 2004, struggled in his first debate against Gore and Kerry, and then gradually got better.

Barack Obama pretty much won all the debates between McCain and Romney. Although Romney had a strong third debate on foreign policy.

Donald Trump in 2016 didn't win any of the debates, but still able to get the competitive advantage at the end.

Despite Biden's speech impediment and stutter, he tends to do extremely well in one-on-one debates. He had the upper hand against Palin and Ryan.

How do you think it'll go this time around? Who will come out on top the first

Kind of an odd question. Who do you think who perform the best at the first round of debates?

The 1960 presidential debate between Kennedy and Nixon set the tone for the rest of the debates. Nixon was recovering from a knee injury on the campaign trial. He was constantly sweating and looked exhausted after trying to campaign in all 50 states. Kennedy looked rested and articulate.

George W. Bush in 2000 and 2004, struggled in his first debate against Gore and Kerry, and then gradually got better.

Barack Obama pretty much won all the debates between McCain and Romney. Although Romney had a strong third debate on foreign policy.

Donald Trump in 2016 didn't win any of the debates, but still able to get the competitive advantage at the end.

Despite Biden's speech impediment and stutter, he tends to do extremely well in one-on-one debates. He had the upper hand against Palin and Ryan.

Addressing just your thread title question and the options you provide, it is impossible for me to make a guess. There are simply too many known and unknown variables involved...most important is the question of what kind of role and actions the moderators decide to take.

If I HAD to make a guess under these conditions, I would say Trump has the edge.

I had a hard time deciding between a tie, both would underperform, or Chris Wallace. Since I am a Wallace fan because he is as close to fair as you can get, I voted for him. He's libel to make them both look silly.

The moderators are all anti Trump including Wallace, a biased lefty in disguise. Trump, he will get tough gotcha questions and Joe will be asked about his morning bowel movement and his diaper change. Regardless, Trump will stomp dementia Joe.

Trumpers will believe trump won no matter what fake news and everyone else says

It won't change my vote one way or the other

I don't think I could stand watching trump lie for however it last anyway. I never watch anything while he is talking. I despise the scumbag.

I guess that depends.

Will Biden get to use a teleprompter or have an earpiece for a coach?

If not, then IMO I don't think he will do that well. ;)

That was in 2008, I don't see how that's relevant today.

In every presidential debate in my lifetime, the media has initially declared the democrat as winner of the debate. In truth, it's the voters who decide. Reagan for instance was declared the debate loser in all of his debates with Carter and Mondale. In both of those elections, Reagan won by landslides.....after which the pundits would walk it back and point out a specific debate moment where Regan put it on ice. Against Carter, it was "
"Are You Better Off Than You Were Four Years Ago?" Against Mondale, when the moderator questions his worthiness based on age, he responded: " I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience,".

Both of them will perform terribly. Biden will show his age and Trump will just do his normal rambling garbage.

Both of them will perform terribly. Biden will show his age and Trump will just do his normal rambling garbage.
Sounds very partisan of you. Like it or not, Trump has an impressive list of accomplishments to run on. Biden has been in politics for 47 years and has very little to show for it....not to mention he is in serious cognitive decline.

Sounds very partisan of you. Like it or not, Trump has an impressive list of accomplishments to run on. Biden has been in politics for 47 years and has very little to show for it....not to mention he is in serious cognitive decline.
How is it partisan? I said Joe was old and Trump rambles like an idiot. They will both perform horribly.

The moderators are all anti-Trump including Wallace, a biased lefty in disguise.

Chris Wallace does not disguise any of his feelings about Donald Trump. He knows how to play fair and do his job. After his 2016 performance, I hoped Wallace would do it again this year.

I will never forget Lester Holt. He reportedly is a registered Republican, but his questioning, interrupting, and fact checking with Donald Trump made him sound like a Democrat.

I don't think the debates should even happen without a fact checker. With all the Biden medical issues djt talks about, what will djt say when VP Biden asks him why he's gone to Walter Reed twice for unscheduled visits?

What time will you all turn your televisions on?

Trumpsters will say Trump won
Democrats will say Biden won
Others opinions will depend on how they perform

Chris. Hands down. He can’t wait until all the accolades come in about what a great job he did.

I think Trump will absolutely destroy Biden. But, I also think that the spin from the media will be how "poised" Biden was and how he held is own because he didn't studder or say "look" as often as expected.

<- Not a fan of either

I don't think the debates should even happen without a fact checker. With all the Biden medical issues DJT talks about, what will djt say when VP Biden asks him why he's gone to Walter Reed twice for unscheduled visits?

Joe Biden has no more medical issues than Donald Trump.

I think Trump will absolutely destroy Biden. But, I also think that the spin from the media will be how "poised" Biden was and how he held is own because he didn't studder or say "look" as often as expected.

<- Not a fan of either
At this point all Biden has to do is show up. That in itself might throw Trump off his game.

Trump supporters believe Trump to be a great orator and a master debater. Expectations are high for Trump, he has to knock it out of the park for a victory.

The expectations for Joe Biden are so low that if he doesn't trip and fall on his face, he wins.

When you make fun of someone for being senile, it comes with a price.

How is it partisan? I said Joe was old and Trump rambles like an idiot. They will both perform horribly.

You lacked objectivity. Trump actually did fairly well in the debates against Hillary. Did he ramble on at times? Sure....so did Hillary. However Trump had a good command on the issues. That's where he won me over. he also showed that he was not intimidated by the political establishment or the media. And you are being soft on Joe. Biden's problem is not his age...it's his cognitive decline. Even with a teleprompter, he cannot keep up.

At this point all Biden has to do is show up. That in itself might throw Trump off his game.
I also firmly believe that if there really are voters that havn't decided by now (funny concept) and watch with intent that they will be shocked at how well Trump actually speaks because all they see are snippets on the news that are out of context or edited. Again, not a fan but Trump hasn't been given a fair shake.

Back
Top Bottom