• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who will control the Senate in 2022; Democrats or Republicans???

Who will control the Senate in 2022; Democrats or Republicans???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
After President Biden signed his $1.9 trillion Covid relief legislation into law back in March, political observers were calling him a transformational president.

Since then, however, there hasn’t been a lot of transformation in Washington
— at least when it comes to Biden’s legislative agenda.

On infrastructure, Senate Democrats don’t have 50 votes to go it alone, given Sen. Joe Manchin’s desire for a bipartisan deal. And there still isn’t an obvious path forward to cut a bipartisan infrastructure deal with Republicans.

On voting rights, Manchin said he’ll vote against the For the People Act that the Senate will take up later this month(because he says it has no support among Republicans).

And last month, Senate Republicans even filibustered
a bill to create an independent commission to investigate the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol.

how is taking less of my own money a gift to me?
I guess you are in the ole "Let's jerk the ole LOWs chain" today
You know very well the meme and Bernies statement is about
Passing NON-bipartisanship Legislation (a Trillion Dollars worth)

But in this case, I think his wrath should be directed toward the weak-kneed Dems.
-Peace / Saw the Grands and the new GreatGrands(2) this weekend

After President Biden signed his $1.9 trillion Covid relief legislation into law back in March, political observers were calling him a transformational president.

Since then, however, there hasn’t been a lot of transformation in Washington
— at least when it comes to Biden’s legislative agenda.

On infrastructure, Senate Democrats don’t have 50 votes to go it alone, given Sen. Joe Manchin’s desire for a bipartisan deal. And there still isn’t an obvious path forward to cut a bipartisan infrastructure deal with Republicans.

On voting rights, Manchin said he’ll vote against the For the People Act that the Senate will take up later this month(because he says it has no support among Republicans).

And last month, Senate Republicans even filibustered
a bill to create an independent commission to investigate the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol.

Don't sleep on Biden. An infrastructure bill will be passed this year, with or without Republicans.

1623150143060.png

Manchin represents West Va, that had the largest MOV for trump in 2016, 40 points, so his hands are tied on paying a political price for supporting Democratic policies.
UnTrue

Their tRump support is true, but they support Democratic policies.

Manchin is opposing his own voters.

You might have heard rumors that 'even West Virginians support HR1'.
This is an understatement. THEY LOVE HR-1

West Virginians support Democratic policies.
They supported the Covid relief bill by 64%.
They support the infrastructure bill even more.

But on HR1, they support it far more.
You'd expect Democratic support to be highest,
then Independents, and then Republican,
and you'd be right.
But I said shockingly, and here it is:
  • Democrats support it 81-15,
  • Independents support it 79-15, and
  • *Republicans* support it 76-16.
What's going on, WTF Manchin.

1623156462734.png

Last edited:
With their gaming of the system, I suspect the Republicans will "win."

I think this is the most likely answer just in terms of the Senate races (not commenting on the House ones since this thread only asked about the Senate).

The GOP seats are more likely to be in danger here than the Dem seats that are up but that doesn't mean that there still isn't risk, especially being so close.
1623189239667.png

With voting rights under attack in 48 of the 50 state legislatures across the country, the timing has never been more urgent, and it will take all of us to make sure Congress passes the voting rights protections our country has to offer. and democracy is desperately needed,

Supporters in every state to “ensure that EVERY US senator hears his constituents about the urgent need” to pass the legislation.

A summer-long advocacy campaign
to rally voters to support
the For the People Act,
a federal election bill.

As temperatures rise this summer, we are turning up the heat and calling our Senators to demand that they pass the For the People Act as it heads to a vote this month.

This bill would block efforts to suppress the right to vote and protect the freedom to vote for every eligible American.

The effort, called Hot Call Summer, will be anchored in a campaign, in which we aims to reach millions of voters in battlefield states that have either passed new laws with restrictions on the vote or propose such bills.

You can get involved by calling your
Senators at 888-453-3211 / and Zipcode
or any Senator??? Just get their Home Zipcode

(Normal Business Hours) to discuss the current attacks on voting rights
and how you want to protect our freedom to vote.

There is an all-out assault on our freedom to vote. In 2021 alone, more than 400 anti-voter bills have been introduced in 48 state legislatures, and they have already signed 22 anti-voter bills into law in 14 states setting a new record

—all part of a coordinated, nationwide effort intended to silence voters of color.

Supporters in every state to “ensure that EVERY US senator hears his constituents about the urgent need to pass the legislation.
I think there is a chance for the Dems to pick up a few or at least keep it 50/50 but not willing to take a stab until I see who is running for the GOP seats being vacated because or retirements.
1623347941691.png

US midterm elections historically favor the party out of power and it wouldn’t take much to flip the current situation.

US midterm elections historically favor the party out of power and it wouldn’t take much to flip the current situation.
Good chance the House flips depending on how "Trumpy" the challengers are in swing districts, moderates will fare much better. I think there is a real shot the Dens gain in the Senate.

I
Good chance the House flips depending on how "Trumpy" the challengers are in swing districts, moderates will fare much better. I think there is a real shot the Dens gain in the Senate.
In 2022, I expect the US House majority will diminish but the US House will remain Democrat. I would be very surprised to see the US Senate remain Democrat.

12 out of 22 say: Democrats.

if the Democrats can't find their collective ass and voter suppression works, it will probably be the Tweetyists. that will suck, but at least i won't have to hear about Manchin's bowel movements multiple times a day.

Exactly.

I'm hoping Dems pick up a couple of seats so that the party can tell Manchin and Sinema to go **** themselves as they so richly deserve, but I plan to be disappointed, thanks in large part to Manchin and Sinema being so indispensable to GOP stonewalling.

Oh, and one other thing; there may not necessarily be an end to internal Dem treachery assuming we have enough votes to get Manchin and Sinema to **** off; consider the forced vote on 15 / HR and the eight Dems who voted against.

Now, that's not a definitive smoking gun, but it is suggestive of Dems that will work to impede the party agenda assuming their votes against are absolutely required; in the meanwhile they're happy to let these two take the heat and political fallout.

Who will control the Senate in 2022;

Democrats or Republicans???​

Senators up for re-election in 2022 / Democrats (14)
  • Michael Bennet (Colorado)
  • Richard Blumenthal (Connecticut)
  • Catherine Cortez Masto (Nevada)
  • Tammy Duckworth (Illinois)
  • Maggie Hassan (New Hampshire)
  • Mark Kelly (Arizona)
  • Patrick Leahy (Vermont)
  • Patty Murray (Washington)
  • Alex Padilla (California)
  • Brian Schatz (Hawaii)
  • Chuck Schumer (New York)
  • Chris Van Hollen (Maryland)
  • Raphael Warnock (Georgia)
  • Ron Wyden (Oregon)
Senators up for re-election in 2022 / Republicans (20)
  • Roy Blunt (Missouri) Has announced he will retire at end of term.
  • John Boozman (Arkansas)
  • Richard Burr (North Carolina) Has announced he will retire at end of term.
  • Mike Crapo (Idaho)
  • Chuck Grassley (Iowa)
  • John Hoeven (North Dakota)
  • Ron Johnson (Wisconsin)
  • John Kennedy (Louisiana)
  • James Lankford (Oklahoma)
  • Mike Lee (Utah)
  • Jerry Moran (Kansas)
  • Lisa Murkowski (Alaska)
  • Rand Paul (Kentucky)
  • Rob Portman (Ohio) Has announced he will retire at end of term.
  • Marco Rubio (Florida)
  • Tim Scott (South Carolina)
  • Richard Shelby (Alabama) Has announced he will retire at end of term.
  • John Thune (South Dakota)
  • Patrick Toomey (Pennsylvania) Has announced he will retire at end of term.
  • Todd Young (Indiana)
Since there are more Republicans than Democrats up for re-election, I'll guess that Democrats will gain a seat or two.

Democrats pick up PA, NC, and WI while losing in GA. 52-48. Tester joins Manchin and Sinema in the filibuster hot seat.
The good news is republicans will win in the house so the filibuster wont be a big deal then. This will keep anything extreme from passing.

I think it depends heavily on how effective the Democratic party is at stopping the restrictive voting laws that Republicans are trying to create across the country.

Back
Top Bottom