• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who will control the Senate in 2022; Democrats or Republicans???

Who will control the Senate in 2022; Democrats or Republicans???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HangLow

BUFF 52 Nav
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

Who will control the Senate in 2022;

Democrats or Republicans???​

Senators up for re-election in 2022 / Democrats (14)
  • Michael Bennet (Colorado)
  • Richard Blumenthal (Connecticut)
  • Catherine Cortez Masto (Nevada)
  • Tammy Duckworth (Illinois)
  • Maggie Hassan (New Hampshire)
  • Mark Kelly (Arizona)
  • Patrick Leahy (Vermont)
  • Patty Murray (Washington)
  • Alex Padilla (California)
  • Brian Schatz (Hawaii)
  • Chuck Schumer (New York)
  • Chris Van Hollen (Maryland)
  • Raphael Warnock (Georgia)
  • Ron Wyden (Oregon)
Senators up for re-election in 2022 / Republicans (20)
  • Roy Blunt (Missouri) Has announced he will retire at end of term.
  • John Boozman (Arkansas)
  • Richard Burr (North Carolina) Has announced he will retire at end of term.
  • Mike Crapo (Idaho)
  • Chuck Grassley (Iowa)
  • John Hoeven (North Dakota)
  • Ron Johnson (Wisconsin)
  • John Kennedy (Louisiana)
  • James Lankford (Oklahoma)
  • Mike Lee (Utah)
  • Jerry Moran (Kansas)
  • Lisa Murkowski (Alaska)
  • Rand Paul (Kentucky)
  • Rob Portman (Ohio) Has announced he will retire at end of term.
  • Marco Rubio (Florida)
  • Tim Scott (South Carolina)
  • Richard Shelby (Alabama) Has announced he will retire at end of term.
  • John Thune (South Dakota)
  • Patrick Toomey (Pennsylvania) Has announced he will retire at end of term.
  • Todd Young (Indiana)

Last edited:
United States Senate elections, 2022
Great Resource...

Ballotpedia: The Encyclopedia of American Politics

Elections to the U.S. Senate will be held on November 8, 2022, and 34 of the 100 seats are up for regular election.

Special elections may be held to fill vacancies that occur in the 117th Congress.

Those elected to the U.S. Senate in the 34 regular elections in 2022 will begin their six-year terms on January 3, 2023.

Fourteen seats held by Democrats and 20 seats held by Republicans are up for election in 2022.

Republicans are defending two Senate seats in states Joe Biden (D) won in the 2020 presidential election: Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

Democrats are not defending any Senate seats in states Donald Trump (R) won in 2020.

Following the 2020 Senate elections and the January 2021 runoffs in Georgia, Democrats and Republicans split the chamber 50-50.

This gave Vice President Kamala Harris (D) a tie-breaking vote, and Democrat's control of the U.S. Senate via a power-sharing agreement.

Thirty-two of the 34 seats up for election in 2022 were last up for election in 2016.

Georgia and Arizona have seats up for election in 2022 that were up for special election in 2020.

During the midterm election, one-third of the Senate and all 435 seats in the House of Representatives are at stake.

In the 21 midterm elections held since 1934, only twice has the president's party gained seats in both the Senate and the House: Franklin Delano Roosevelt's first midterm election and George W. Bush's first midterm election.

On four other occasions, the president's party gained Senate seats and once it was a draw. On one occasion, the president's party gained House seats. The worst midterm losses tend to occur in a president's first term.

Advantage:GOP

I think there is a chance for the Dems to pick up a few or at least keep it 50/50 but not willing to take a stab until I see who is running for the GOP seats being vacated because or retirements.

During the midterm election, one-third of the Senate and all 435 seats in the House of Representatives are at stake.

In the 21 midterm elections held since 1934, only twice has the president's party gained seats in both the Senate and the House: Franklin Delano Roosevelt's first midterm election and George W. Bush's first midterm election.

On four other occasions, the president's party gained Senate seats and once it was a draw. On one occasion, the president's party gained House seats. The worst midterm losses tend to occur in a president's first term.

I agree with you Blue Dog, Advantage GOQP...
I voted 50/50, but the Dems are looking like the gang that can't shoot straight...
The RePukes are ramming their agenda thru at the state level...
I can see the GOP have a strong win...
-Peace

I think there is a chance for the Dems to pick up a few or at least keep it 50/50 but not willing to take a stab until I see who is running for the GOP seats being vacated because or retirements.
Have you had a good track record with prior predictions? ;)

I think this is the most likely answer just in terms of the Senate races (not commenting on the House ones since this thread only asked about the Senate).

The GOP seats are more likely to be in danger here than the Dem seats that are up but that doesn't mean that there still isn't risk, especially being so close.

Democrats pick up PA, NC, and WI while losing in GA. 52-48. Tester joins Manchin and Sinema in the filibuster hot seat.

I agree with you Blue Dog, Advantage GOQP...
I voted 50/50, but the Dems are looking like the gang that can't shoot straight...
The RePukes are ramming their agenda thru at the state level...
I can see the GOP have a strong win...
-Peace
I do think that the Dems will lose some House seats (hopefully not control though), and this is going to be partially due to GOP state level gerrymandering and election rules that are trying to make voting harder. But I think it is harder to do this with the Senate because the Senate is voted for by the whole state. This means that my own state could possibly see a Dem Senator be voted into Burr's place, despite voting for Trump as they did.

I'm working overtime to see that the Democrats keep their control a and increase their Majority. in the Senate.

I am doing this because of their notion that they can tax cut for the rich to get out of debt.

I am doing this because of how they treated Obama at our expense.

I am doing this because of their tenacity to Trump.

Democrats pick up PA, NC, and WI while losing in GA. 52-48. Tester joins Manchin and Sinema in the filibuster hot seat.
No reason we should lose GA, we pulled it in 2020.

• Mark Kelly (Arizona)
  • Brian Schatz (Hawaii)
  • Ron Wyden (Oregon)
  • Mike Crapo (Idaho)
  • Chuck Grassley (Iowa)
  • Mike Lee (Utah)
  • Jerry Moran (Kansas)
  • Rand Paul (Kentucky)
  • Marco Rubio (Florida)
  • Todd Young (Indiana)
Your poll is actually not quite correct. The Senate is not 50-50. It rarely is. There are 101 US senators.

Still too early in the election cycle for me to tune in intensely and prognosticate.

The last election cycle produced results that pleased me! Biden won. The DEMs held onto enough seats in the House to maintain their Majority. DEMs flipped a Senate seat in AZ and two in GA producing 50/50 Senate and Majority control by virtue of VP Harris.

I wake up happy with the status quo every day! At some point, probably no sooner than the one year mark from Election Day, I expect to donate time and money to influence election outcomes.

We can't have a Republican Majority, because they will overturn 2024.

So you better all work that mind to only plant that result.

This is my fearmongering, be afraid of that.

1623079425597.png

Anybody's guess. i'm not comfortable predicting anything in this insane political climate.

If you follow history, history says the Republicans will gain majorities in both the house and senate.

Who knows, though?

Something odd might happen this time around.

Thing is with ramped voter suppression tactics in play and the dems being traditionally poor at getting out the vote in mid terms I can see the Republicans taking back the House at least. I hope I'm wrong - a stronger Dem majority than now would be nice - but the R voters are more motivated and their state legislatures are getting better at tampering with election laws.

I tend to think Democrats will take Penn and Wisconsin. They also have a good shot at NC. The only seat I can see Republicans stealing away might be Georgia if their voter suppression efforts are successful.

• Mark Kelly (Arizona)
  • Brian Schatz (Hawaii)
  • Ron Wyden (Oregon)
  • Mike Crapo (Idaho)
  • Chuck Grassley (Iowa)
  • Mike Lee (Utah)
  • Jerry Moran (Kansas)
  • Rand Paul (Kentucky)
  • Marco Rubio (Florida)
  • Todd Young (Indiana)
I think its still early but unless theres massive mutation and covid comes back in a big way I think the dems take the senate.

Now thats the issue it should be based on but American politics is funny like that and if 2022 is a basically normal summer I think thats what happens

Back
Top Bottom