• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who will cave on shutdown?

Skeptic Bob

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
The more I think about this the more I think Trump could win on this. What does Trump have to lose by leaving the government shut down indefinitely? His base will think it shows strength. And I don’t think Trump understands or cares about the damage it would do, where as most people in Congress do.

It is like playing a game of chicken with a crazy person.

I think there will have to be a mutual caving. Schumer will give him his $5B but there will have to be extra concessions to make up for it.

Both sides will claim victory when it happens but the losers will still be the American people.

I think there will have to be a mutual caving. Schumer will give him his $5B but there will have to be extra concessions to make up for it.

Both sides will claim victory when it happens but the losers will still be the American people.

The “American people” have been losers for a while now........

What should happen, and won't, is for the senate to make it clear they will over-ride a veto from the cheeto.

At this point, the wall will be funded with the gofundme page.

The more I think about this the more I think Trump could win on this. What does Trump have to lose by leaving the government shut down indefinitely? His base will think it shows strength. And I don’t think Trump understands or cares about the damage it would do, where as most people in Congress do.

Possibly. The thing I’m thinking is Trump is at bottom on popularity, the people who approve of him will approve of him no matter what, but the suburban voters who delivered the Democrats the house might grow tired of them holding up the government.

The problem for the Dems is though, if they cave they have a lot to lose for their base and Trump gains popularity for winning.
In my estimation, Trump can only gain by holding strong, and the democrats can lose for taking either path, but Trump loses by caving.

In pure odds, the democrats can’t win, but Trump can definitely lose

Trump has always been willing to make a deal...but I don't think he will budge on the 5 million. The longer this goes on, the worse for Chuck.

It's worked before.

Nikki Haley: Trump and I Ratcheted Up the Crazy for U.N. Negotiations
‘He’s pretty upset, I can’t promise you what he’s going to do or not,’ the ambassador told ‘Today’ she’d say. ‘But if we do these sanctions it will keep him from going too far.’

https://www.thedailybeast.com/nikki-haley-trump-and-i-ratcheted-up-the-crazy-for-un-negotiations

We will reach faster to 1b than the do-nothing politicians will in doing their job.

Could be.

Let's pretend the goal of $1B is reached.

What then?

I prefer to think of this as a good marriage where the woman has the husband thinking that he rules the roost. Husband thinks he is in charge and is none the wiser.........I think Nancy can pull it off. Disclaimer: I am not a Pelosi fan, but you gotta work with what you have available.....

If Trump did not care he would not be trying to bury his "I will own the shutdown" statement. So clearly he does care about the optics of a shutdown. Nobody but nobody is going to suddenly forget the actual words coming out of his mouth and the House passing a Bill by adding Disaster Relief Funding just to get it out of that end of The Hill is not going to buy him any mileage either.

I think Trump gets his $1.6B. He has no argument for getting more than that at this point. He does not even have an argument for the $1.6B. He has not even spent the $1.3B he got last year and when it comes to spending the entire system is based on an agency using the funds it have been appropriated to it that have been earmarked for specific tasks. The Trump Administration has not used all of the $1.3B it got in a previous CR and STILL has not made a proposal to Congress for what it actually wants to do. Trump blathering endlessly is not a proposal.

Come January 3, he gets a Dem House. I'm sure he is looking forward to that.

Last edited:
Trump has always been willing to make a deal...but I don't think he will budge on the 5 million. The longer this goes on, the worse for Chuck.

It's Billion. For someone who always criticizes the MSM for getting information wrong. You should be more careful!

Could be.

What then?

$1B is just the max Gofundme allows. They are currently working with Gofundme to raise the cap. My guess is Gofundme won’t do anything until the amount raised actually approaches the $1B mark. Gofundme isn’t going to say no to their 2.9% of that money.

I just don’t think it is a feasible number to reach.

Could be.

What then?

If? All it takes is $80 from everyone that voted for Trump and the wall will be paid for. Every voter can then get their money back via taxes when Trump gets the money back from Canada and Mexico.

Except Democrats get more power in Jan and Schumer already said he isn't getting a dime. What is the incentive for Democrats to give Trump what he wants???

Could be.

What then?

As far as I am aware there is no plan to actually get this money to the government, and IDK even how that would work. Besides for some shady right wing operative that the other shady right wing operative in charge of the GOFundMe says is his connection to Trump. The shadiest of them all!!! Merry Christmas!

$1B is just the max Gofundme allows. They are currently working with Gofundme to raise the cap. My guess is Gofundme won’t do anything until the amount raised actually approaches the $1B mark. Gofundme isn’t going to say no to their 2.9% of that money.

I just don’t think it is a feasible number to reach.

I hate to flood the board; but you have not heard of Creflo Dollar and his congregation paid Citation Jet..........

https://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/creflo-dollars-ministry-says-he-will-get-his-65-mi/nmTpk/

If? All it takes is $80 from everyone that voted for Trump and the wall will be paid for. Every voter can then get their money back via taxes when Trump gets the money back from Canada and Mexico.

Is the bolded part a joke or...?

If you think Nancy and Chuck are acting any less 'crazy' then you arent paying attention. This battle is idiotic and childish and frankly I hope neither side caves and the government stays shut indefinitely.

69% of Americans Don’t Think Trump's Border Wall Is a Priority, Poll Says

Americans, reality generally disagree with Trump’s strategy on border wall funding

Voters Say It Again: Trump’s Wall Isn’t Worth a Shutdown

Plus a gain of 40 midterm seats in the House. Trumps hard-core base is only ¼ of the population. Why should Schumer and the Democrats cave? They have the strong hand.

Trump said he would own it.....

Donald J. Trump on 11 December 2018 said:
“I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I’m not going to blame you (Democrats) for it.”

"We need to spend more money" said no conservative, ever.

https://twitter.com/tarapalmeri/status/1076576918261190656

Tara Palmeri@tarapalmeri

Sen Graham just told me it will destroy the conservative movement if the President accepts less than $1.6 billion for the wall w/ @benyc

12:35 PM - 22 Dec 2018 from Washington, DC

Back
Top Bottom