• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who will be the Republican nominee?

Who will be the Republican Nominee?

• Total voters
The Far Right hates Kasich. I saw a FB meme the other day saying he was pro-abortion, gay marriage, assault weapons bans, etc. Of course, he's not. But, you know how they are.

IMO, they deserve saying President Sanders or Clinton for the next 4 years.

I agree.

I see them pushing for Kasich. He's been in the race the whole time (as in technically participating, but never had a chance to win it), he has some crossover/independent appeal, and polls well in hypotheticals. They know they might as well throw in the towel if Cruz or Trump end up with the nomination. Ryan .... I mean I know they can pick him, but I just remember him as Romney's sidekick and being a "christian first american second" type. Santorum-lite maybe. As much as a portion of the base wants that type of candidate, its poison in the general. I think they're smart enough to know that and will go with Kasich, who doesn't have that issue at all. They may see Ryan as having some appeal to millenials, who are already miffed at Shillary. I'd still call that a bad move though, no ones getting excited about Ryan, and if Bernie loses most millenials won't bother to vote.

I'm pulling for Kasich. I didn't vote for him in NH but my husband did. I easily could have voted for him (I voted for Rubio). I am a big Kasich fan. Not thrilled with the idea of Ryan although he'd be 1000% better than Trump. My pet rock would be 1000% better than Trump.

I'm pulling for Kasich. I didn't vote for him in NH but my husband did. I easily could have voted for him (I voted for Rubio). I am a big Kasich fan. Not thrilled with the idea of Ryan although he'd be 1000% better than Trump. My pet rock would be 1000% better than Trump.

Can't help but agree with the three way comparison between Trump, Ryan, and your Pet Rock. I'm not thrilled with Ryan either but he'd even be better than Cruz imo. But realistically Kasich is the only option they have if they want to win.

The Republican nominee will be the person that the old White men who rule the GOP choose.

Watch the GOP convention and you'll be one of the first to know.

My guess is that it will be someone who's too far to the right to win.

I believe the candidate will be Cruz.
And here is why. Cruz last night showed that he could do well in all demographics and in a state where not even 60% of the voters were registered Republicans.
Another thing last night showed is how insignificant Kasich has become. He couldn't even garner 15% of the vote in a Midwest state. This is the second Midwest state that Kasich has come in third. Sure he won Ohio 1. because he is a sitting governor with a well oiled political machine already in place and 2. there are a lot of anti Trump folks in Ohio who supported Cruz and Rubio over Kasich and at the last minute switched their vote to Kasich to keep Trump from getting 66 delegates. Latest polling out of PA has Kasich in third another bordering state. He lost the GOP Leadership Conference straw poll last weekend coming in a far distant 3rd. Cruz won it in a landslide. This is significant because PA only issues a small portion of their delegates to the winner and the rest are free agents. GOP Leadership + free agent delegates = a Cruz advantage.

Cruz has had a very good week starting with his win in ND and sweeping the first two congressional districts in CO which this Saturday expectations are he will do very well in CO. And then the following Saturday he is expected to pick up the rest of WY delegates. All this before NY primary. NY closed primary as all the others in the NE except RI. That benefits Cruz. He will peel some districts from Trump keeping his delegate count down. Cruz has a good shot at Maryland and Delaware. One things for sure he will not leave the NE empty handed.

There is little doubt that this will be a contested convention and Cruz team has been preparing for it. In all the states that Trump has won so far, Cruz has managed to pick up 100+ delegates that will switch from Trump to Cruz on a second vote.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter.

Either Trump will be the nominee, which will lose the race for the Republicans, or....

Trump will stomp off muttering about how unfair it all is, run as an independent and split the vote, thus losing the race for the Republicans.

Face it: Trump has already lost the race for the Republican Party.

It doesn't matter.

Either Trump will be the nominee, which will lose the race for the Republicans, or....

Trump will stomp off muttering about how unfair it all is, run as an independent and split the vote, thus losing the race for the Republicans.

Face it: Trump has already lost the race for the Republican Party.

Trump can not run as an independent now. There are too many states with sore loser laws that if he loses the Republican nomination, he would not qualify to run as an Independent.

Trump can not run as an independent now. There are too many states with sore loser laws that if he loses the Republican nomination, he would not qualify to run as an Independent.

Really?

Then there is hope for the Republicans after all.

This is a colossal mess, but I honestly think it will be Trump. He'll lose in a general, but I still think it will be the Orange Wonder.
i dont know. The delegates in the GOP seem to be working there way for an open convention. One thing is for certain, this RNC is gonna be sooooo interesting.

I believe the candidate will be Cruz.
And here is why. Cruz last night showed that he could do well in all demographics and in a state where not even 60% of the voters were registered Republicans.
Another thing last night showed is how insignificant Kasich has become. He couldn't even garner 15% of the vote in a Midwest state. This is the second Midwest state that Kasich has come in third. Sure he won Ohio 1. because he is a sitting governor with a well oiled political machine already in place and 2. there are a lot of anti Trump folks in Ohio who supported Cruz and Rubio over Kasich and at the last minute switched their vote to Kasich to keep Trump from getting 66 delegates. Latest polling out of PA has Kasich in third another bordering state. He lost the GOP Leadership Conference straw poll last weekend coming in a far distant 3rd. Cruz won it in a landslide. This is significant because PA only issues a small portion of their delegates to the winner and the rest are free agents. GOP Leadership + free agent delegates = a Cruz advantage.

Cruz has had a very good week starting with his win in ND and sweeping the first two congressional districts in CO which this Saturday expectations are he will do very well in CO. And then the following Saturday he is expected to pick up the rest of WY delegates. All this before NY primary. NY closed primary as all the others in the NE except RI. That benefits Cruz. He will peel some districts from Trump keeping his delegate count down. Cruz has a good shot at Maryland and Delaware. One things for sure he will not leave the NE empty handed.

There is little doubt that this will be a contested convention and Cruz team has been preparing for it. In all the states that Trump has won so far, Cruz has managed to pick up 100+ delegates that will switch from Trump to Cruz on a second vote.

At the moment, Cruz is simply the primary vehicle by which they can get to a contested convention. Despite the delegates he'll carry into the convention, I can't see the GOP wanting him if they can avoid nominating him. Cruz isn't Trump, sure. Trump is arguably the worst candidate they can nominate. Cruz is a clear second worst candidate they can nominate. Some would argue the other way around, but those names belong in the bottom 2 slots hands down.

Kasich isn't very big with the republican base, sure, but he does better than either Trump or Cruz in the general. Cruz will lose (it even rhymes!) to Shillary. The high handed religious right get all excited about an evangelical like Cruz, but over all most Americans see that as a scary thought, especially with 3-4 SCOTUS seats on the line. Pretty much everyone who didn't vote in the republican primary will vote against Cruz, and half the people who did vote in the republican primary will also vote against Cruz. He would set abortion and LGBT rights back 100 years. Encourage the encroachment of religion into government. Everyone who opposes any of those goals will put their differences aside and unite against him. It's the second worst thing the GOP could do imo, as far as their own survival is concerned.

Shillary can't run on her own, she needs a smellier, browner, smooshier turd to run against, and Cruz or Trump would fit the bill nicely. Kasich isn't some amazing candidate, I like a lot about him but there are some issues too. But he's not terrible. If you equate sight with elect-ability, He's the one eyed man in the land of the blind.

Never heard that before....:roll:

Its just a sign of how small and how far right the republican base has gotten. The GOP simply can't afford to alienate the middle in an effort to please the base. Unfortunately the base doesn't seem to be happy with anything less. Sucks to be the GOP I guess :shrug:

The Dems, essentially with Hillary, have an ideological demographic head start in the Electoral College.

I don't see any of the poll-listed candidate combinations being able to compensate for that.

Even with the correct running mate, I don't see Kasich or Ryan winning the EC.

Unless there's a really dark horse hiding in the GOP stables with governor/senator leadership experience who's a big-time centrist and opposed to rubber-stamping citizenship for 22 million illegal aliens and who exudes intelligence and integrity up the wazoo sufficient to quickly capture the imagination of the country ..

.. Best just nominate someone with money to burn to feed to Hillary ..

.. And hope the orange jumpsuit fits her well.

Pop the popcorn and chill the beer, the 2016 Republican nomination just got far more entertaining. With Trump clearly thumped in Wisconsin, his ability to secure the 1237 delegates necessary for the nomination seems a tad bit out of reach. With the campaign now turning northeast, Cruz' win in Wisconsin is but a mirage as his brand of Republican don't sell well in Philadelphia, New York, Boston, Hartford or Providence.

Cleveland is likely to be a contested convention. At a contested convention, the delegates are bound in the 1st round. In the 2nd round of balloting, its up to the rules of the delegates. Will the delegates affirm the rules of 2012 and require an 8 state victory threshold? If so, it would be Cruz v. Trump, with one of them the likely victor. Will Trump outdeal Cruz or will Cruz out politic Trump?

If it goes beyond, its any man's game. The convention will likely focus on an outsider... Romney? Ryan? Gingrich? Who?

Who will leave Cleveland with the Republican nomination?

1) Trump?
2) Cruz?
3) Kasich?
4) Rubio?
5) Ryan?
6) Romney?
7) Gingrich?
8) Clinton?
9) Other?

Don't tell us who you want, tell us who you think it will be. Discuss...

The Republican party is screwed either way. If its Trump....they are screwed. If its anyone other than Trump, they are screwed because Trump and his supporters are not going to take it sitting down. This is what the wackos who took over the GOP have sowed.

At the moment, Cruz is simply the primary vehicle by which they can get to a contested convention. Despite the delegates he'll carry into the convention, I can't see the GOP wanting him if they can avoid nominating him. Cruz isn't Trump, sure. Trump is arguably the worst candidate they can nominate. Cruz is a clear second worst candidate they can nominate. Some would argue the other way around, but those names belong in the bottom 2 slots hands down.
There are only two viable candidates in this race Trump and Cruz. The people have rejected the establishment state after state after state. I know there are some still hanging one to the pipe dream like Karl Rove that at a contested convention the establishment will introduce a new face or get behind Kasich. but they also know if they try to do that there will be pitchforks and torches because how dare the elite think they know better than the voters who the nominee will be?
Kasich isn't very big with the republican base, sure, but he does better than either Trump or Cruz in the general. Cruz will lose (it even rhymes!) to Shillary. The high handed religious right get all excited about an evangelical like Cruz, but over all most Americans see that as a scary thought, especially with 3-4 SCOTUS seats on the line. Pretty much everyone who didn't vote in the republican primary will vote against Cruz, and half the people who did vote in the republican primary will also vote against Cruz. He would set abortion and LGBT rights back 100 years. Encourage the encroachment of religion into government. Everyone who opposes any of those goals will put their differences aside and unite against him. It's the second worst thing the GOP could do imo, as far as their own survival is concerned.
Yes, Kasich is not big with the Republican base for good reason. His immigration policy calls for amnesty within the first 100 days before the border is even secured. The Chamber of Commerce love him and it is evident by who has been supporting his campaign. It is one corporation after another not to mention George Soros foundations and fellow associates of Soros who have given hundreds of thousands of dollars to keep Kasich in this race. Why? so Trump will win the nomination. Why? because Trump is the easiest candidate for Hillary to knock off. Last night in Wisconsin Kasich supporters were polled and would choose Cruz over Trump 80 to 20.
Shillary can't run on her own, she needs a smellier, browner, smooshier turd to run against, and Cruz or Trump would fit the bill nicely. Kasich isn't some amazing candidate, I like a lot about him but there are some issues too. But he's not terrible. If you equate sight with elect-ability, He's the one eyed man in the land of the blind.
Trump has lost the last 12 head to head polls with Hillary. Cruz beats Hillary in most of them.

You think he has a better chance than Kasich? That is interesting.
In terms of attaining the nomination, yes.

And this is due to the internal politics of the Party.

Spkr Ryan seems to be the only guy all the disparate wings of the party can accept (barring the Trumpers). This is the very reason Ryan was nominated Speaker - they couldn't agree on anyone else! Kasich may get tossed on the ticket as VP (he'll gladly accept) in an attempt to carry Ohio as well as temper the ticket for the general.

There are only two viable candidates in this race Trump and Cruz. The people have rejected the establishment state after state after state. I know there are some still hanging one to the pipe dream like Karl Rove that at a contested convention the establishment will introduce a new face or get behind Kasich. but they also know if they try to do that there will be pitchforks and torches because how dare the elite think they know better than the voters who the nominee will be?

There are 2 paths here, really. Deal with the pitchforks and try to win, or keep the sheep happy and take the loss in november. The first path means Kasich. The second path means Trump. Cruz offers the worst part of both paths with none of the benefits of either.

Yes, Kasich is not big with the Republican base for good reason. His immigration policy calls for amnesty within the first 100 days before the border is even secured. The Chamber of Commerce love him and it is evident by who has been supporting his campaign. It is one corporation after another not to mention George Soros foundations and fellow associates of Soros who have given hundreds of thousands of dollars to keep Kasich in this race. Why? so Trump will win the nomination. Why? because Trump is the easiest candidate for Hillary to knock off. Last night in Wisconsin Kasich supporters were polled and would choose Cruz over Trump 80 to 20.

Some of this I already know, some more is certainly believable. Like I said, he's not some amazing candidate. The bar just happens to be exceptionally low right now. As for the bolded: You could take Cruz's name out and fill the blank in with just about anybody. All its really saying is 20% of Kasich supporters are willing to vote for Trump, the other 80% will support whoever isn't Trump.

Trump has lost the last 12 head to head polls with Hillary. Cruz beats Hillary in most of them.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - General Election: Cruz vs. Clinton

At the moment its Clinton by 3%, but he did lead her for a few months. Give her a month against him though. All her negatives are out there already. Cruz would be an epic loss.

I voted for the gubner, not because I think he will be nominated, but because I think he should be.

Last edited:
I did NOT vote since I have changed my mind several times in the last weeks and expect to do so even more in the next few months.

My personal opinion is that if Trump continues to win and can take New York, Pennsylvania and California - the party has to nominate him in Cleveland or risk such an all out stink that they destroy the party in the process. I see no alternative.

Were I Donald Trump I would go into a closed room with the top GOP brass and make it crystal clear that if you screwed me out of the nomination by continuing the manipulation of rules and delegate selection as we have already seen in a few states - I will run on a third party and will spend a lot to hurt you and cripple you and make you wish you never did this to me.

I would lay it out for them as they only have two choices - to nominate me of see the entire party go down in flames and then have to face an expensive salvage operation which may or may not work in the end.

I would make it clear that if I lose fair and square - in other words NOT winning the states I described - that would be far different and I can accept the will of the people.

Will Trump do that? I don't know.

I did NOT vote since I have changed my mind several times in the last weeks and expect to do so even more in the next few months.

My personal opinion is that if Trump continues to win and can take New York, Pennsylvania and California - the party has to nominate him in Cleveland or risk such an all out stink that they destroy the party in the process. I see no alternative.

Were I Donald Trump I would go into a closed room with the top GOP brass and make it crystal clear that if you screwed me out of the nomination by continuing the manipulation of rules and delegate selection as we have already seen in a few states - I will run on a third party and will spend a lot to hurt you and cripple you and make you wish you never did this to me.
I would lay it out for them as they only have two choices - to nominate me of see the entire party go down in flames and then have to face an expensive salvage operation which may or may not work in the end.

I would make it clear that if I lose fair and square - in other words NOT winning the states I described - that would be far different and I can accept the will of the people.

Will Trump do that? I don't know.
That would work well for the Democrats, wouldn't it? Yeah....

Back
Top Bottom