• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who will be the new Speaker of the House?

Who will be the next Speaker of the House?

• Grijalva

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nadler

• Jeffries

• Cummings

• Gutierrez

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Will Pelosi hold on?

Will they pick a guy like Schiff?

Will they go with a hardcore Progressive like Grijalva?

Nadler?

Haleem Jeffries?

Luis Gutierrez?

Elijah Cummings?
Despite the new-found freshman energy in the Dem party, no one is better at leading and negotiating legislation through to it's passing. In that aspect, she is deadly efficient and the best in the business.

If the Dems are smart, they'll let Pelosi push and pass legit & helpful & popular legislation, so the country can see the Dems making progress. Simultaneously, they should let the committee heads (Schiff, Cummings, et al) do serious and worthy oversight into the administration and failed Republican investigations & hearings, but in a sane and deserved way - staying away from impeachment unless duly warranted.

Despite the new-found freshman energy in the Dem party, no one is better at leading and negotiating legislation through to it's passing. In that aspect, she is deadly efficient and the best in the business.

If the Dems are smart, they'll let Pelosi push and pass legit & helpful & popular legislation, so the country can see the Dems making progress. Simultaneously, they should let the committee heads (Schiff, Cummings, et al) do serious and worthy oversight into the administration and failed Republican investigations & hearings, but in a sane and deserved way - staying away from impeachment unless duly warranted.

Precisely.
Pelosi has shown she can keep a caucus together and deliver votes. The Repugs love to hate her. It's win win!

Precisely.
Pelosi has shown she can keep a caucus together and deliver votes. The Repugs love to hate her. It's win win!
Yeah, but what do Indies think of her? That's the big question.

Yeah, but what do Indies think of her? That's the big question.

I don't see where it matters. She will keep the caucus together, groom a replacement, and not be an issue in 2020. JMO. (also, my hope...lol)

I don't see where it matters. She will keep the caucus together, groom a replacement, and not be an issue in 2020. JMO. (also, my hope...lol)
Indies are critical in 2020 (or any other national race). They usually are the deciders. So it's not good to piss them off.

Do you see Pelosi retiring in 2020 ? Has she made an indication on this being her final session in Congress?

Indies are critical in 2020 (or any other national race). They usually are the deciders. So it's not good to piss them off.

Absolutely don't want to piss them off. I think Pelosi has taken a bad rap, just like Hillary Clinton did. Really strong competent females are still not appreciated much. Why would indies who lean left be unhappy with Pelosi being a successful Speaker? I don't get that. I also don't see the likely heir apparent. Maybe I'm missing it.

Absolutely don't want to piss them off. I think Pelosi has taken a bad rap, just like Hillary Clinton did. Really strong competent females are still not appreciated much. Why would indies who lean left be unhappy with Pelosi being a successful Speaker? I don't get that. I also don't see the likely heir apparent. Maybe I'm missing it.
I agree with everything you wrote. I think she is right for the current job at hand, and hopefully will work to keeping Dems and moderate Indies happy.

No idea. It will (hopefully) depend on her popularity and the politics then at hand.

As of now she is the Dems best choice. Agree, its time she and the party look to the future, new blood. Her baby is the ACA, once it is tweaked its time to let the next generation step up.

Last edited:
As of know she is the Dems best choice. Agree, its time she and the party look to the future, new blood. Her baby is the ACA, once it is tweaked its time to let the next generation step up.
If it was me, I'd tweak it with the judicious expansion of Medicaid! ;)

I'm not familiar enough with either ...

They are the leaders of a group of democrats who are threatening to vote against Pelosi during the house vote.

Congressmen Tim Ryan of Ohio and Seth Moulton of Massachusetts are ambitious conservative Democrats who have been thorns in Pelosi’s sidee and have been spending tim in Iowa in likely preparation for a presidential run

And there are a few new blue states that might help in that direction
Yep. And I believe last week three Red states voted for it, too.

But I'm thinking even a bigger Medicaid expansion, whether it be by income, age, Medicare, etc. Let's start rolling!

They are the leaders of a group of democrats who are threatening to vote against Pelosi during the house vote.

Congressmen Tim Ryan of Ohio and Seth Moulton of Massachusetts are ambitious conservative Democrats who have been thorns in Pelosi’s sidee and have been spending tim in Iowa in likely preparation for a presidential run
That's a shame. Because I think we need to run moderate and conservative Dems in matching districts. Look what Conner Lamb pulled-off? Let's truly have a big-tent, and run the best candidates to fit their specific district.

I for one believe there's plenty of room under the Dem tarpaulin, and I welcome it!

If it was me, I'd tweak it with the judicious expansion of Medicaid! ;)

I believe that will happen eventually. That is why I backed Obama twice. We live in one the wealthiest countries on earth, healthcare should be a right, not a privilege.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that she's a status quo, business as usual corporate Dem, and a big donor darling?

There's a reason Pelosi is tremendously unpopular, and it has far less to do with her age or gender versus the fact that she's iconic of the Washington pay to play paradigm (Mitch is deeply unpopular for similar reasons).

Her experience and expertise counts for nothing if it lacks vision to match, and as Dem politicos go, she certainly has none; again, the woman has done nothing but lead from behind, and has always had to be dragged onside (figuratively kicking and screaming at times even) by sustained pressure from the forward looking and insightful in her party on everything from marijuana to education to healthcare.

Last edited:
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that she's a status quo, business as usual corporate Dem, and a big donor darling?

There's a reason Pelosi is tremendously unpopular, and it has far less to do with her age or gender versus the fact that she's iconic of the Washington pay to play paradigm (Mitch is deeply unpopular for similar reasons).

Her experience and expertise counts for nothing if it lacks vision to match, and as Dem politicos go, she certainly has none; again, the woman has done nothing but lead from behind, and has always had to be dragged onside (figuratively kicking and screaming at times even) by sustained pressure from the forward looking and insightful in her party on everything from marijuana to education to healthcare.

I hear you. She's kept the caucus together, that's the job of Speaker. Vision is not the requirement. The forward looking don't get anywhere if they can't bring the old fogies along, and that's what she does.

I believe that will happen eventually. That is why I backed Obama twice. We live in one the wealthiest countries on earth, healthcare should be a right, not a privilege.
:thumbs:

That's a shame. Because I think we need to run moderate and conservative Dems in matching districts. Look what Conner Lamb pulled-off? Let's truly have a big-tent, and run the best candidates to fit their specific district.

I for one believe there's plenty of room under the Dem tarpaulin, and I welcome it!

Yeah but I don’t like how Tim Ryan and Seth Moulton think that they should be leaders of the party when they have not accomplished anything of note.

They also harbor presidential ambitions which are laughable

Yeah but I don’t like how Tim Ryan and Seth Moulton think that they should be leaders of the party when they have not accomplished anything of note.

They also harbor presidential ambitions which are laughable
Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom