• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Who Were The Greatest Military Minds?

Donkey1499

DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 5, 2005
Messages
3,945
Reaction score
56
Location
Under The Northern Star, Alaska
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
I would have made a poll out of this one, but there are just too many to choose from. I'm going to put down 5 names, but not in any particular order. And this is NOT for fictional military leaders either (so in other words, NO Aragorns or Darth Vaders).

1.) Alexander the Great
2.) Attilla the Hun
3.) Hannibal (The dude from Carthage)
4.) Ceasar
5.) Gen. George Patton

These are my 5 favorite, although some of them were either barbarians or dictators. But their wits on military strategy were awesome. I would've put Napolean on the list, but he's French... LOL j/k.
 
T

The Real McCoy

1. Sun Tzu
2. Ghengis Khan
3. Alexander
4. Napoleon
5. Atilla
6. Oda Nobunaga (Jap)
7. Patton
8. Hannibal
9. Eisenhower
10. Charlamagne

(In no particular order)
 

SKILMATIC

Banned
Joined
Aug 11, 2005
Messages
3,407
Reaction score
0
Location
San Diego
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Lets see military minds. Hmmm...

This is too difficult cause ther are just too many to chose from and they are all in different times and different circumstances. So its hard to crown one over the other casue you never know what the capabilities of each are.

All your notions to different military leaders are good. Each one has proven to be exceptional in their own ways. I guess since I dont want to be redundant I wil name a few others.

Stonewall jackson, Robert E Lee, Montgomery, Schwarzcopf, Powel, Yamamoto, Hannibal, and of course many many more.
 

TimmyBoy

Banned
Joined
Sep 23, 2005
Messages
1,466
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I think the greatest military minds came from German Officer leadership during World War II. Heinz Guedarian who pioneered blitzkrieg which is still used in the US Army till this day. Erwin Rommel was an awesome general and was kicking the crap out of the British and Americans even when he was outmanned and outsupplied. Man for man, the German Army in World War II inflicted more casaulties on their enemies and outfought the US Army, the British Army and the Soviet Army, even though they still lost the war. I hold the German World War II army in high regard when it comes to their ability to fight and prosecute a war.
 

TimmyBoy

Banned
Joined
Sep 23, 2005
Messages
1,466
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The Real McCoy said:
1. Sun Tzu
2. Ghengis Khan
3. Alexander
4. Napoleon
5. Atilla
6. Oda Nobunaga (Jap)
7. Patton
8. Hannibal
9. Eisenhower
10. Charlamagne

(In no particular order)

I would definately agree with your picks as far as Patton and Napoleon. Patton was the only general the Germans feared during World War II and he was ahead of his game.
 

cnredd

Major General Big Lug
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 5, 2005
Messages
8,682
Reaction score
262
Location
Philadelphia,PA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
General Foods
General Mills
General Motors
Colonel Sanders
 

bandaidwoman

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 10, 2005
Messages
582
Reaction score
25
Location
Covington,Georgia
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
General Douglas Mcarthur

Fought a war on the Pacific front on larger scale across vast tracts of surface area with significantly less resources than Patton and won.
 

Donkey1499

DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 5, 2005
Messages
3,945
Reaction score
56
Location
Under The Northern Star, Alaska
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
bandaidwoman said:
The Trung Sisters who led an army and fought off the Chinese for many years? http://www.womeninworldhistory.com/heroine10.html

But you probably meant the modern Vietnam conflict I suppose.

I meant the 60's Nam Conflict. But a good post anyways.

How about Joan of Arc? She sort of got Nationalism started.
 

TimmyBoy

Banned
Joined
Sep 23, 2005
Messages
1,466
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Donkey1499 said:
I meant the 60's Nam Conflict. But a good post anyways.

How about Joan of Arc? She sort of got Nationalism started.

Napoloean got Nationalism started.
 

TimmyBoy

Banned
Joined
Sep 23, 2005
Messages
1,466
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The Real McCoy said:
1. Sun Tzu
2. Ghengis Khan
3. Alexander
4. Napoleon
5. Atilla
6. Oda Nobunaga (Jap)
7. Patton
8. Hannibal
9. Eisenhower
10. Charlamagne

(In no particular order)

Here is one of my favorite quotes from Sun Tzu:

"All warfare is based on deception."

Very good quote.
 

TimmyBoy

Banned
Joined
Sep 23, 2005
Messages
1,466
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
TimmyBoy said:
Napoloean got Nationalism started.

At least he did in Europe and he helped to create the environment that made World War I possible.
 

TimmyBoy

Banned
Joined
Sep 23, 2005
Messages
1,466
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Donkey1499 said:
Nah, I do believe you're wrong there. But this debate isn't for this thread.

I was making the case that Napoloean got it started in Europe when most of Europe was under his occupation. His occupation awakened nationalist feelings in many countries he occuppied and this power stayed long after the defeat of Napolean and was one of the major factors for the outbreak of World War I.
 

Donkey1499

DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 5, 2005
Messages
3,945
Reaction score
56
Location
Under The Northern Star, Alaska
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
TimmyBoy said:
I was making the case that Napoloean got it started in Europe when most of Europe was under his occupation. His occupation awakened nationalist feelings in many countries he occuppied and this power stayed long after the defeat of Napolean and was one of the major factors for the outbreak of World War I.

Oh, alright then. I misread what you wrote.

Joan of Arc got FRENCH nationalism going.
 

TimmyBoy

Banned
Joined
Sep 23, 2005
Messages
1,466
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Donkey1499 said:
Oh, alright then. I misread what you wrote.

Joan of Arc got FRENCH nationalism going.

I miswrote what I was trying to say, hence my second post.
 

Iriemon

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 10, 2005
Messages
19,405
Reaction score
2,187
Location
Miami
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
TimmyBoy said:
I think the greatest military minds came from German Officer leadership during World War II. Heinz Guedarian who pioneered blitzkrieg which is still used in the US Army till this day. Erwin Rommel was an awesome general and was kicking the crap out of the British and Americans even when he was outmanned and outsupplied. Man for man, the German Army in World War II inflicted more casaulties on their enemies and outfought the US Army, the British Army and the Soviet Army, even though they still lost the war. I hold the German World War II army in high regard when it comes to their ability to fight and prosecute a war.

Good points. Eisenhower and Patton are much more well known because they were Americans. But truth be told, they (in general) had overwhelming superiority over the Germans in terms of men and material, and were fighting a Germany that was already pretty much beaten by 1944.

Truly great generals accomplish the unexpected against greater odds. That is one reason Alexander was the Great. He regularly defeated armies more than twice the size of his.

The German general staff accomplished this as well, as you point out -- in France in 1940 they were outnumbered and outgunned, but their tactics defeated the combined allied forces in a shockingly short time. Rommel regularly defeated larger forces. In Russia the Germans faced a larger opponent as well, albiet one that had been purged of leadership. The initially had great victories, but old man winter and a deranged CiC proved to be stronger factors...
 

Donkey1499

DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 5, 2005
Messages
3,945
Reaction score
56
Location
Under The Northern Star, Alaska
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Iriemon said:
Good points. Eisenhower and Patton are much more well known because they were Americans. But truth be told, they (in general) had overwhelming superiority over the Germans in terms of men and material, and were fighting a Germany that was already pretty much beaten by 1944.

Truly great generals accomplish the unexpected against greater odds. That is one reason Alexander was the Great. He regularly defeated armies more than twice the size of his.

The German general staff accomplished this as well, as you point out -- in France in 1940 they were outnumbered and outgunned, but their tactics defeated the combined allied forces in a shockingly short time. Rommel regularly defeated larger forces. In Russia the Germans faced a larger opponent as well, albiet one that had been purged of leadership. The initially had great victories, but old man winter and a deranged CiC proved to be stronger factors...

True. Russia would be speaking German if it wasn't for mother nature intervening.
 

GarzaUK

British, Irish and everything in-between.
DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
3,688
Reaction score
631
Location
Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
I maybe biased here with me being in the UK and all but... Wellington! Wellington! Wellington! The ONLY man who beat Napolean head on and defeated all his commanders. The Battle of Vitoria was a piece of pure poetry!
 

GarzaUK

British, Irish and everything in-between.
DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
3,688
Reaction score
631
Location
Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Donkey1499 said:
True. Russia would be speaking German if it wasn't for mother nature intervening.

And the British invading Greece to suspend the Nazi invasion of Russia by 2 weeks.
 

bandaidwoman

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 10, 2005
Messages
582
Reaction score
25
Location
Covington,Georgia
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Was there a singular figure or general that staged or led the Six Day War? Talk about overcoming phenomenol odds and a brilliant decisive battle (the air strikes and the great desert tank warfare) in a matter of less than a week against an overwhelming coalition of Middle Eastern countries bent on annihilating them off the face of the earth.
 
Top Bottom