• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who was the target audience and why do you think so?

Whom do you think is Trump's main intended target audience for the OP tweet? Why do you think so?

• Congressional Democrats

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Congressional Republicans

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Xelor

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The other day, Donald Trump issued the following proclamation:

3ee31e73-4a4b-4749-9118-a4d864722d5e-Screen_Shot_2018-12-21_at_3.55.12_PM.png

Thread Questions:
1 - Whom do you think is Trump's main intended target audience for that tweet? Why do you think so?

• [*=1]Trump supporters (general public)
    [*=1]Trump opposers (general public)
    [*=1]Congressional Democrats
    [*=1]Congressional Republicans
2 - What, IYO, is Trump's rhetorical purpose for that tweet?​

Thread Questions:
1 - Whom do you think is Trump's main intended target audience for that tweet? Why do you think so?

In a new turn of events. Stop. Trump is tweeting at night. Stop. He's been tweeting nonsense for 7 hours straight. Stop. He's calling himself a hero and akin to re-inventing the wheel*. Stop.

*: Delusional?

in a new turn of events. Stop. Trump is tweeting at night. Stop. He's been tweeting nonsense for 7 hours straight. Stop. He's calling himself a hero and akin to re-inventing the wheel*. Stop.

*: Delusional?

lol...

Thread Questions:

Everyone

That's his "big beautiful wall"? Kinda ugly to me.

Thread Questions:

Possibly Trump supporters.

I have no doubt the Tweet's intended audience was Trump supporters.

The Breitbart commenters were simply ecstatic over the sharp spear-like things on the top. It was sadistic lust. They loved them & the wall!

Thread Questions:

Answer: America

Translation for those who dont understand Trump, which is clearly most of the people at DP...Sadly..A huge chunk of the nation does better..."I am not backing down....You are going to have to deal with me!".

Take it as a threat or a promise as you will.

I have no doubt the Tweet's intended audience was Trump supporters.

The Breitbart commenters were simply ecstatic over the sharp spear-like things on the top. It was sadistic lust. They loved them & the wall!

HBO built something very similar for only $100 million a season. That will be more real than this BS.

Mainstream media. Tweets like this set them on a crazy spell. Just like this one did.

Thread Questions:

Seeing as he was intending for everyone to see this, it's pretty much set in stone as is.

False premise in the OP. Sorry.

There was no "target audience" like any bloated windbag, he bleats to make noise, not to accomplish something.

I really hate that I have come to the point of just mocking the man for the sake of mocking him, but he makes it so hard to treat him as a professional President. I know that he actually has goals with his constant tweets and isn't really as stupid as he comes across, but things like this ...

The tweets keep him in the news, make the constant abuse of his approach end up sounding like noise, and feeds the beast of the media so much that it becomes fat an lazy.

That said, he looks like an ass. His strategy has the cost of making him seem like an unfiltered walking id.

There is no reason the wall should look that stupid if it ever gets built. It's not an efficient design. I don't think even he feels it's something to brag about. I think he found something to bleat about while everyone is yelling about his shutdown of the government.

The audience would be whoever needed convincing that putting up a fence would keep his promise to build a wall.

So ... himself and his supporters because he knows in his gut that other people aren't buying it. He's handing out the talking points to the people who need very little convincing to go out and shill for him.

The audience would be whoever needed convincing that putting up a fence would keep his promise to build a wall.

So ... himself and his supporters because he knows in his gut that other people aren't buying it. He's handing out the talking points to the people who need very little convincing to go out and shill for him.

Basically, that too is my answer.
  • Target Audience --> Trump supporters
  • Rhetorical purpose --> Repackaging
    • There's no way round the fact that when Trump said "build a wall" he meant "wall"....Period.

"A wall is better than fencing, and it’s much more powerful. It’s more secure. It’s taller."
      -- Donald Trump, July 2015

"Jeb Bush just talked about my border proposal to build a "fence. It's not a fence, Jeb, it's a WALL, and there's a BIG difference!"
      -- Donald Trump, August 2015

"It's not a fence, it's a wall. You just misreported it."
      -- Donald Trump, January 2017

Sidebar:
      You'll note too that Trump said he's got a "$58B trade deficit to play with" and that he could use to get Mexico to pay for his wall. Well, according to the Trump Admin's Trade Representative, that deficit is now over $60B, which means Trump's got even more to "play with" yet, he's soliciting Congress (US taxpayers), not Mexico, for the money. (I suggest Trump go play.) I guess he thinks we're fool enough to "loan" him the money...US banks won't loan him money and neither should, via their tax payments, any other Americans.

"It’s realistic [to expect Mexico will pay for the wall] if you know something about the art of negotiating. If you have a bunch of clowns negotiating, it’s not realistic."
      -- Donald Trump, July 2015
      End of sidebar.​
    • Given that Trump was unequivocal about the wall being a wall and not not-a-wall, and the Border Patrol agents have been clear that a wall is a "stupid" structure to build....
      -- Retiring Border Chief Calls Trump's Wall a Waste of Time, Money
      -- How feasible is Trump's proposed wall?
      ...Trump has to shift off his "effing" wall to some sort of fencing.

So now Trump's got to lay-on his marketing skills to get his base of sycophantic nitwits (for as dumb as Trump is, he knows his most ardent supporters are dumber than he) off the wall and onto the fence. Doing so is a "campaign" he began, albeit duplicitously and disassemblingly, quite some time ago. That tweet was among (if not "the") his most overt efforts to do so. It's pure repackaging.
    • Why the tweet's main target audience isn't wall opposers:
      • The bollard fence tweet isn't aimed at wall opposers because they aren't going care that he's now proposing fencing because they're going to hold him to his dumbass "it's not a fence; it's a wall" (and similar) assertion unless and until he expressly, not tacitly, recants it and "owns" it as a benighted claim he never should have made. Saying stupid things has consequences, and it's high time Trump learned, as truly smart people know and do already, to think (and read so he knows what he's thinking about) before he opens his mouth.
    • Why the tweet's main target audience isn't anyone in Congress:
      • Nobody in Congress was ever going to appropriate money for a wall (as opposed to fencing) specifically; thus there's no need to tweet that to them. Any legislation would only stipulate "new physical barrier." Trump knows that just as well as members of Congress do.

So the short is that the intended target audience is wall supporters because they're only people to whom there's a need to deliver that particular message.

Answer: America

Translation for those who dont understand Trump, which is clearly most of the people at DP...Sadly..A huge chunk of the nation does better..."I am not backing down....You are going to have to deal with me!".

Take it as a threat or a promise as you will.

There is nothing to understand. He's a simpleton, and his supporters are simpletons.

Thread Questions:

I could care less what anyone tweets about anything. Twitter is a waste of time for the mindless.

Basically, that too is my answer.
  • Target Audience --> Trump supporters
  • Rhetorical purpose --> Repackaging
    • There's no way round the fact that when Trump said "build a wall" he meant "wall"....Period.

Yes, that's the word I was looking for ... "repackaging".

I kept trying to say "grooming" but I'd already used that word enough. I wanted a more business-like word and I couldn't find it. Repackaging. That's it.

He's trying to condition his supporters to say that a promise broken will actually be a promise kept in case he is able to at least get (some more) fencing along the border.

Of course he's already been calling it "promise kept" that barriers approved before he took office were worked on but of course it isn't, so he has to keep tapdancing with the only steps he knows -- lie, lie, lie, and trust his base will follow his lead.

I could care less what anyone tweets about anything. Twitter is a waste of time for the mindless.
Off-Topic:
With regard to quite literally anyone else who tweets, I somewhat agree with you in that I'm not plussed by their tweeted thoughts; however, with regard to Trump's tweets I cannot take that stance because the DOJ has trothed that Trump’s tweets are “official statements of the president of the United States.

Yes, that's the word I was looking for ... "repackaging".

I kept trying to say "grooming" but I'd already used that word enough. I wanted a more business-like word and I couldn't find it. Repackaging. That's it.

He's trying to condition his supporters to say that a promise broken will actually be a promise kept in case he is able to at least get (some more) fencing along the border.

Of course he's already been calling it "promise kept" that barriers approved before he took office were worked on but of course it isn't, so he has to keep tapdancing with the only steps he knows -- lie, lie, lie, and trust his base will follow his lead.

Spot on.

Thread Questions:

Trump has never tried to expand his base. He's been satisfied with just his avid followers. That tweet isn't about to change anyone's mind. It has to be for his base and base only.

Editor’s corrections in red:

I have no doubt the Tweet's intended audience was everyone.

The Breitbart commenters were simply ecstatic over the design’s ability to deter illegal invaders. They loved them & the wall!

Looks quite effective, doesn’t it?

False premise in the OP. Sorry.

There was no "target audience" like any bloated windbag, he bleats to make noise, not to accomplish something.

I really hate that I have come to the point of just mocking the man for the sake of mocking him, but he makes it so hard to treat him as a professional President. I know that he actually has goals with his constant tweets and isn't really as stupid as he comes across, but things like this ...

The tweets keep him in the news, make the constant abuse of his approach end up sounding like noise, and feeds the beast of the media so much that it becomes fat an lazy.

That said, he looks like an ass. His strategy has the cost of making him seem like an unfiltered walking id.

There is no reason the wall should look that stupid if it ever gets built. It's not an efficient design. I don't think even he feels it's something to brag about. I think he found something to bleat about while everyone is yelling about his shutdown of the government.

His tweets allow him to get his message out.

If the press were honest, if they reported truthfully, if they did not commit the insidious act of keeping the citizens of this republic ignorant by burying news... he wouldn’t have to tweet.

Tell me, if he did not tweet this information about The Wall, would the media run with it? Would they objectively report it?

ROTFLOL... of course not.

The media created this situation through their own decades of malpractice.

To me the fence is indeed aesthetically pleasing. Aesthetics are a plus.

I even liked some of the prototype walls, and could count it as good to employ people to build them and to manufacture the materials used to build them.

The problem here is that process matters as much as actually having a physical barrier. A process built on a bulwark of lies and xenophobia needs be rejected.

Security is a worthy goal. Barriers built on a foundation of xenophobia are not security.

(Edit: But this is a matter for another thread. Sorry, Xelor, for going off topic.)

His tweets allow him to get his message out.

If the press were honest, if they reported truthfully, if they did not commit the insidious act of keeping the citizens of this republic ignorant by burying news... he wouldn’t have to tweet.

Tell me, if he did not tweet this information about The Wall, would the media run with it? Would they objectively report it?

ROTFLOL... of course not.

The media created this situation through their own decades of malpractice.

His tweets are how he gets his crazy out.

I fully agree that there is a left bias in most media outlets and really the only exception are those who have a right bias. Unbiased journalism has been a unicorn for a very long time.

It's not like he's not getting coverage, though. It's not like he doesn't have the same tools every other president has had in the form of press releases, statements, and a podium no news agency will let him stand at without a camera. He is the most powerful man in the world. Some people like that, some are in fear of it every day. One thing no one is doing is ignoring him.

The tweets do work in his favor sometimes and sometimes they burn him. He can't stand anyone clipping his phrasing to fit in a news update or possibly skewing things away from his perspective. He NEEDs to make noise and for everyone to hear him. I get that he enjoys making the sharks circle and that the more he puts everything in front of everyone, the more they just hear noise when people attack him.

The man does come across as literally insane sometimes. And if he really thinks that wall in the pic is pretty, this is one of the times he comes across as insane to me.

Back
Top Bottom