• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who was the first Republican in America:

James972

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Thomas Jefferson. He and James Madison founded the Republican Party in 1793 because they were concerned that the Federalists, led by Washington and Hamilton, favored big central government. When Jefferson had defeated the Federalists, who were never heard from again, he called it the Second American Revolution. It established that the first Revolution had been against all central government not just the central government of England. Our liberal culture keeps this vital information from us because it does not want us to know that Republicans, in effect, founded our country, and gave it the idea of freedom from govt that made it the greatest country in human history. Similiarly, the liberal culture does not want us to know that the Democratic Party had no place at the Founding and really is anti American Marxist at its core.

LOL. Nope. The Democratic-Republican Party was founded by Jefferson and eventually became the Democratic Party. The modern Republican Party came about after the collapse of the Whigs. You don't know what you're talking about bruh....

The federalist turned into national republicans which turned into the Whigs which then turned into the Republicans

The federalist turned into national republicans which turned into the Whigs which then turned into the Republicans

So were Jefferson and Madison Martians or Republicans??

the democratic-republican party, whose name later became the democrat party, would resemble the republicans of today, the federalist party which was led by john adams and george washington, would resemble the democrat party of today

but it wasn't until the civil war that the 2 party system between democrats and republicans became well defined, and none of the original american political parties lasted more than a few decades. they also dealt with issues that have nothing to do with america today like should we support the yeomans, or establish a national currency, or should we support the french revolution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic-Republican_Party

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federalist_Party

Just for fun here's some old political cartoons depicting the divide between the Federalist and the Anti-Federalists (Democrat-Republicans).

The cartoon below is from 1793 and called "A Peep into the Anti-Federalist Club". It shows how the Federalist saw their opponents, the Anti-Federalists. I couldn't read the captions because they're too small, darn it. I'd love to know what they're saying...

Credit: The Granger Collection, New York.

This contemporary satire of an Anti-Federalist Club reflects the Federalists" belief that their political opponents were members of atheistic secret societies that promoted revolution and mob rule. The cartoon depicts Thomas Jefferson, a founder and leader of the Democratic-Republicans, standing on a table as he rallies the devil, an obese drunkard damning the Federal Government, an African American named "Citizen Mungo," New York anti-Federalists Governor DeWitt Clinton and Commodore Livingston, French minister Edmond Genet, and Philadelphian David Rittenhouse peering through his telescope at a satire of the "Creed of the Democratic Party."​

Below is cartoon titled the "Congressional Pugilists". It depicts a fight that broke out between the Federalist, Rep. Lyon and the Anti-Federalist, Rep. Griswold during the first congress held in Philadelphia, 1798. From what I understand, Rep. Lyon spit tobacco on Rep. Griswold who then demanded that Lyon be removed from the assembly and when that didn't happen he bashed Lyon over the head three times with his wooden cane. Then Lyon grabbed some fire tongs and started dueling with Griswold who was trying to kick him. The men in the background are made to look just as ridiculous as the two men fighting. The assembly then voted unanimously to remove both men from the meeting.

A crude portrayal of a fight on the floor of Congress between Representative Matthew Lyon of Vermont and Representative Roger Griswold of Connecticut. The row was originally prompted by an insulting reference to Lyon on Griswold's part. The interior of Congress Hall is shown; as are Speaker Jonathan Dayton and Clerk Jonathan W. Condy (both seated), Chaplain Ashbel Green (in profile on the left), and several others. Griswold, armed with a cane, kicks Lyon, who grasps the former's arm and raises a pair of fireplace tongs to strike him. Below are the verses: "He in a trice struck Lyon thrice / Upon his head, enrag'd sir, / Who seiz'd the tongs to ease his wrongs, / And Griswold thus engag'd, sir."​

Last edited:

wiki has it wrong of course. They want to pretend that Democratic Republicans existed in the 18th Century because it places Democrats at the Founding!! I bet people $10,000 that there were no Democratic Republicans in 18th Century.

They want to pretend that Democratic Republicans existed in the 18th Century because it places Democrats at the Founding!!

why would they want to do that?

No, that was the Democratic - Republican party: please note that I did not say Democrat - Republican party... The Republican party that you're thinking of was the party of Abe Lincoln. The Democratic - Republican was a description of our country.

No, that was the Democratic - Republican party:.

if there was such a Party in the 18th Century I'll pay you $10,000. Bet?

why would they want to do that?

because then modern Democrats seem very American when really they had no place at the American Founding and really are more accurately associated with 19th Centruy Marxism. Obama had 3 communist parents, not 3 parents who loved our Founders or their basic principles. Bernie Sanders honeymooned in the USSR!

if there was such a Party in the 18th Century I'll pay you $10,000. Bet?

Sure...

https://www.gilderlehrman.org/histo...ic/timeline-terms/democratic-republican-party

You owe me $10,000

because you found a liberal source lying about the Democrats being present at the Founding? You own me $10,000. You see, you need a primary source. Do you understand? And do you understand that liberalsim is based in pure ignorance so a liberal can not actually win a debate. So do you have that primary source or do you want to admit to yet another defeat?

American history - is a liberal source.

funny

you owe me $10,000

For your edification

Lockean Liberalism and the American Revolution

https://www.gilderlehrman.org/histo...ys/lockean-liberalism-and-american-revolution

How about the official recording of the electoral college votes for elections?

because you found a liberal source lying about the Democrats being present at the Founding? You own me $10,000. You see, you need a primary source. Do you understand that we can all sent each other a million links????????????

Yeah, see, your problem is betting with an historian...

The Democrats didn't get going until Andrew Jackson.

As I said, "Democratic - Republicans" was a very accurate description of what our new country really was, so hence the name.

you still owe me $10,000 (Ten Thousand Dollars, American money; small bill preferred)

go fetch

why would wikipedia lie?

why would wikipedia lie?

to make Democrats American when really they are Marxist as Alger Hiss, Sanders, and Obama demonstrate. Now do you understand?

to make Democrats American when really they are Marxist as Alger Hiss, Sanders, and Obama demonstrate. Now do you understand?

so wikipedia doesn't like republicans? why not?

Marx didn't exist when the country was founded.

It's confusing, but you're partly right, Jefferson's party was loosely called the "Republican party" from 1792 - 1798. Then in 1798 the party adopted the name "Democratic-Republican" party. After Jefferson took office in 1801, the Democratic Republican party held power nationally until 1824 and the Federalist party had died out by then. Then about 1825 the Democratic Republican party split into two factions...the Democrat party of the 1830s headed by Andrew Jackson and the short lived National Republican Party that became the Whig Party until it finally became the Republican Party of Abe Lincoln.

From the Encyclopedia Britannica...

Democratic-Republican Party
originally (1792–98) Republican Party

first opposition political party in the United States. Organized in 1792 as the Republican Party, its members held power nationally between 1801 and 1825. It was the direct antecedent of the present Democratic Party.

Encyclopædia Britannica's Guide to American Presidents

From Jeffersonian encyclopedia at Monticello.org....

In 1790 he accepted the post of secretary of state under his friend George Washington. His tenure was marked by his opposition to the pro-British policies of Alexander Hamilton. In 1796, as the presidential candidate of the Democratic Republicans, he became vice-president after losing to John Adams by three electoral votes....

https://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/thomas-jefferson-brief-biography

Last edited:
Marx didn't exist when the country was founded.

sure he did!! there were 1000's of morons in history who had absurd rationales for centralized power. Our Founders made them all illegal here!! This is what Jefferson meant when he stopped history and said, "now there is something new under the sun."

Then in 1798 the party adopted the name "Democratic-Republican" party.

if thats true I'll pay you $10,000. Bet? This is part of the liberal bias that tries to pretend that Democrats were at or near the Founding!! Ever wonder why Scalia and other conservatives are happy to read the Constitution literally while liberals want to read as living or meaning anything they want including communism?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…