• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

WHO warns coronavirus vaccine alone won’t end pandemic: ‘We cannot go back to way things were

Re: WHO warns coronavirus vaccine alone won’t end pandemic: ‘We cannot go back to way things wer

Do as you wish. Just offering a suggestion. I don't try to make people do anything. Unless the simultaneously get the drugs to shield against CSS on the market, a lot of people aren't going to be as safe as they think they are.

I appreciate your concern.

Re: WHO warns coronavirus vaccine alone won’t end pandemic: ‘We cannot go back to way things wer

He’s done a complete 180 on COVID for the election.

It's just the flu! I was born a free man last I checked! This plandemic will be over right after the election! It's just a hoax! You sheep can wear masks, not me! I can't breathe with them on. They counted my friend as a Covid death and he isn't even dead! You have to get a C19 test in order to know you have it! I'm not gonna live my life in fear! If you're so afraid just stay home.

America is the only country in the world with ZERO discipline on COVID. That starts with TrumQ.

Trump did not take on Federal responsibility for fighting covid.'Not my responsibility.' It was totally out of his depth & would have involved too much work. Instead he left it up to a hodge-podge of governors only a few of whom (mainly BLUE) like Cuomo had the balls to deal effectively with it. The disaster that resulted (mainly in RED states) is Trump's responsibility.

It would suck to die in general would it not?

It's just as bad as turning off your computer.

We should be in good shape by January. Between the vaccine, T cell immunity and those who have already been infected we will have herd immunity.

I think the vaccine will be out in October.

Firstly and with due respect, I think you need to come back to the planet earth with due respect. There are already vaccines out and being tested. That is not the issue.

Secondly, there is no physician working on the vaccine or any immunologist who believes or ever advanced any accepted medical theory that convential herd immunity will develp from this virus and they have explained why-that assumption about herd immunity did NOT come from physicians. It makes no medical sense.

The fact that you still refer to herd immunity simply reflects education about how we develop immunity is available but people will not read it or may not understand it or you prefer a fantasy that relieves your anxiety to an issue that can not easily resolve and go away.

Every leading medical physician across the world has advised us that at best a vaccine may in the future provide temporary immunity not herd immunity for certain not all Covid 19 virus strains and no one will anyone develop any herd immunity against it en masse any more than they do to any flu virus or Aids or ebola, sars, swine flu, avian flu, legionairre's diease, zeta, typhoid fever, on and on.

Please go back and try understand what a covid virus is and how covid 19 is not one strain but a series of strains like the flu or many common colds and so at best a vaccine might help a human body fight some strains of it but not all. This is NOT polio. This is NOT measles. This is NOT chicken pox. This is not diptheria.

Covid 19 is constantly mutating. There are new strains of it evolving as we speak and other even more deadly viruses coming out of contact with blood of mammals in the wet markets of China that are now being spead just as deadly if not more deadly.

There is no panacea to any virus that jumps from one species to humans because we handle its blood or body fluids in an unsafe manner.

The fact is hygiene, regulation of the food industry, how we conduct our personal and collective health practices is at issue and people are mistaken if they think we can keep and transfer meat out in the open in unsanitary conditions but a vaccine will magically protect us from that.

Last edited:

We should be in good shape by January. Between the vaccine, T cell immunity and those who have already been infected we will have herd immunity.

I think the vaccine will be out in October.

What "herd immunity"? Have you be listening to what real experts are telling you, or some uninformed nutter on a right-wing talk show? Furthermore there is NO evidence of immunity post-infection and recovery. None. Furthermore if you think an effective vaccine, along with the extensive long-term testing necessary to prove both efficacy and safety, is going to be available by October, I'm afraid you're in for a major disappointment.

Last edited:

And you waited ten posts before injecting nonsense into this thread.
There’s NOTHING nonsensical about the two points I made, one of the utmost critical concern. Trump did NOTHING for SEVEN weeks after learning of COVID Intel on Jan. 23.

America is the only country in the world with ZERO discipline on COVID. That starts with TrumQ.

Yes, because whining about 'rights' and the Constitution being 'trampled' is obviously much more important than helping save lives by wearing a mask. Libertarians are the stealth killers; their utter irresponsible contempt for science, medical experts and, crucially, the health and well-being of their fellow citizens will be the cause of many more infections and deaths. ****ing idiots. I can hear the arrogant wankers now; 'I'm an American, nobody tells me what to do!' It would be hilarious were it not so tragic in its consequences.

Last edited:

It's good to know that you like it when people are suffering.
I'm going back to the adults table now.

Is that where the dead people sit?

It's just the flu! I was born a free man last I checked! This plandemic will be over right after the election! It's just a hoax! You sheep can wear masks, not me! I can't breathe with them on. They counted my friend as a Covid death and he isn't even dead! You have to get a C19 test in order to know you have it! I'm not gonna live my life in fear! If you're so afraid just stay home.

I wonder how 'freedom' feels, six feet under. Ask the families of 175,000 dead Americans how 'free' they think they are.

There’s NOTHING nonsensical about the two points I made, one of the utmost critical concern. Trump did NOTHING for SEVEN weeks after learning of COVID Intel on Jan. 23.

Thats because there was nothing he could do. All you are doing is playing Monday Morning Quarterback and pretending you were on the field.

Yes, because whining about 'rights' and the Constitution being 'trampled' is obviously much more important than helping save lives by wearing a mask. Libertarians are the stealth killers; their utter irresponsible contempt for science, medical experts and, crucially, the health and well-being of their fellow citizens will be the cause of many more infections and deaths. ****ing idiots. I can hear the arrogant wankers now; 'I'm an American, nobody tells me what to do!' It would be hilarious were it not so tragic in its consequences.

Thats really, really stupid. Especially coming from a guy whose country leads the world in per capita Covid deaths.

I wonder how 'freedom' feels, six feet under. Ask the families of 175,000 dead Americans how 'free' they think they are.

Why dont you ask the 41,000 dead in your country. At least Americans are willing to die for certain freedoms. Your countrymen died for nothing.

Why are you telling me this?

Why dont you ask the 41,000 dead in your country. At least Americans are willing to die for certain freedoms. Your countrymen died for nothing.

What on earth are you talking about? Do you have any idea?

What on earth are you talking about? Do you have any idea?

Yes. And so do you.

Thats really, really stupid. Especially coming from a guy whose country leads the world in per capita Covid deaths.

Really? In that case you can explain why rates of death and infection in Britain have been falling steadily for weeks while in your country it's the polar opposite. I look forward to your comments.

What "herd immunity"? Have you be listening to what real experts are telling you, or some uninformed nutter on a right-wing talk show? Furthermore there is NO evidence of immunity post-infection and recovery. None. Furthermore if you think an effective vaccine, along with the extensive long-term testing necessary to prove both efficacy and safety, is going to be available by October, I'm afraid you're in for a major disappointment.

I don't listen to right wing talk shows.

It's starting to look like you don't need nearly as a high a percentage to achieve herd immunity with C19. Watch how the numbers will dive starting now with infections. We reached a peak as a nation.

I don't listen to right wing talk shows.

It's starting to look like you don't need nearly as a high a percentage to achieve herd immunity with C19. Watch how the numbers will dive starting now with infections. We reached a peak as a nation.

Are you sure about that? Experts would disagree.

When will coronavirus cases peak? It'''s getting harder for experts to predict

As for "herd immunity" there is no evidence of it and it may not occur, just as with seasonal flu, a far less virulent disease.

Herd immunity: Can it protect us from coronavirus? - BBC Science Focus Magazine

Last edited:

WHO warns a coronavirus vaccine alone will not end pandemic

The World Health Organization said Friday that a vaccine will be a “vital tool” in the global fight against the coronavirus, but it won’t end the Covid-19 pandemic on its own and there’s no guarantee scientists will find one.

World leaders and the public must learn to manage the virus and make permanent adjustments to their daily lives to bring the virus down to low levels, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said during a news conference from the agency’s Geneva headquarters. “At the same time, we will not, we cannot go back to the way things were.

Throughout history, outbreaks and pandemics have changed economies and societies, he said.

“In particular, the Covid-19 pandemic has given new impetus to the need to accelerate efforts to respond to climate change,” he said. “The Covid-19 pandemic has given us a glimpse of our world as it could be: cleaner skies and rivers.”

The virus has infected more than 22.7 million people worldwide and killed at least 794,100 in more than seven months, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. There are at least 30 potential vaccines currently in clinical trials, according to the WHO, but there is no guarantee they will be safe and effective, he said.

Even though human trials for potential vaccines are progressing, scientists say key questions remain. Covid-19 was discovered in December. While numerous research papers and studies have been produced on the virus, scientists still don’t fully understand how it affects the body or how well someone is protected from reinfection after recovering.

Earlier this month, Tedros said there was no “silver bullet” to the coronavirus and “there might never be.”

He said world leaders can stop new outbreaks by practicing the “basics” of public health and disease control. “Testing, isolating and treating patients and tracing and quarantining their contacts. Do it all. Inform, empower and listen to communities. Do it all,” he said Aug. 3.

Tedros said Friday that “every single person” can make a difference in the pandemic.

“Every person and family has a responsibility to know the level of Covid-19 transmission locally and to understand what they can do to protect themselves and others,” he said.

WHO director general warns of ‘vaccine nationalism’ and price gouging
Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of the WHO’s emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, said it’s “very important” for the public to learn “how to live with this virus.”

That will help “continue to suppress transmission, identify cases and clusters that pop up so we can quickly put those out and minimize as many deaths as possible,” she said. “In doing so, some countries may need to implement some measures again.”

Van Kerkhove said some countries, using data, are now choosing to implement social distancing measures in areas where there is a high level of transmission.

“What we are seeing now is a targeted approach to adding interventions that need to be put in place to get outbreaks under control and reduce the number of infections that are happening,” she said.
==================================================================
I keep repeating the same thing: small molecule anti-viral drugs (SMAVDS) like ebselen are likely going to be far more important than vaccines against covid-19 in the future. There is no guarantee that we will ever develop a safe & effective vaccine. But SMAVDS can be developed in a short time span & can bring society back to near normalcy.

In over 40 years, no vaccine has been developed for HIV & no vaccine has ever been developed against a coronavirus since they first caused disease 18 years ago.

See Sweden

Don't hold your breath waiting for the 'silver bullet' vaccine. The example of HIV should be a lesson in reality. SMAVDS can be realized in the near term for a lot less money.

Immunity is the key

Are you sure about that? Experts would disagree.

When will coronavirus cases peak? It'''s getting harder for experts to predict

As for "herd immunity" there is no evidence of it and it may not occur, just as with seasonal flu, a far less virulent disease.

Herd immunity: Can it protect us from coronavirus? - BBC Science Focus Magazine

Your link is a month old. A lot has changed since then.

Your link is a month old. A lot has changed since then.

No it hasn't, and 'herd immunity' is still a guess. Your cases of infection are still, sadly, increasing in many parts of the US.

Back
Top Bottom