• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Who the Republicans should nominate for President in 2008

George_Washington

DP Veteran
Reaction score
United States of America and proud of it!
Political Leaning
Conservative
I decided to post this in the, "Bias in the Media" forum because it is has to do with all the talk in the media of who will run for office in 2008.

There's been a lot of talk lately, you know, through many political circles and whatnot, that the Democrats will have a massively effective candidate in 2008. Some say it will be Hillary Clinton. Riding on Clinton's fame and reputation, she could be a serious contender. This not discounting the tide of other worthwhile candidates that are rumored to run in the primaries.

I think the absolute best person the Republicans could run would be Arnold Schwarzenegger. Now, I know he can't run because of his immigrant status. I think, however, we should repel that old and out of date law. I think there would be many qualified people that could make good presidents that could do so and shouldn't be judged on the fact that they're immigrants. I think the Republicans should introduce a bill to repel that law.

Think about it: What makes a good candidate for President? It's not intelligence, it's not grades, it's not where you went to school (Actually it isn't, Reagan went to a small, virtually unknown liberal arts college), it's not even how much money you have. It's charisma. I think history has proven this. This explains why Reagan was so well liked.

If Schwarzenegger would run in 2008, I do not believe the Democrats could find anybody that could equal his massive celebrity status and charismatic abilities. Even Hillary wouldn't stand a chance. Hillary has charisma to a certain extent, so did Clinton, but both of them would fall short of Schwarzenegger's. Let's face it, the Hollywood crowd has the rest of the country flat beat when it comes to charisma. Anyway, Schwarzenegger would carry conservatives, moderates, many liberals based on his views on stem cell research and such, and many more voter groups. I do not think Hillary would have a chance at beating Schwarzenegger in a debate, his charm and personality would crush her.

Other massively charismatic people in Hollywood that might and could, theoretically, carry the Republican party:

1.) Donald Trump. Trump has a lot of charisma, is well liked, and is rich. It isn't all about money like I said but money can help. Trump's glamorous wife might remind people of Jackie Kennedy. Trump also has stated that he believes in God and that he loves God. I think he could carry the south and the west with a little hard work. Trump has actually been considering running for governor of New York.

2.) Tom Cruise. Actually, he would pose a serious threat if he ever seriously would run. People think Scientologists are extremely liberal but they really aren't. Scientology fundamentally teaches that certain social practices are immoral. Also, many scientologists have money and are not super liberal on economic issues. Trust me, I've read numerous articles in my life time on Scientology and they aren't all flaming liberals. Actually, probably most of them are really moderate. I realize Cruise's Scientology would turn a lot of people off. BUT if he could find some way to get around that, he would be an extremely fearsome competitor, based on his charisma, Hollywood charm, etc. He's acted enough that his speaking abilities would be pretty formidable.

3.) Mel Gibson. I realize he's a controversial figure due to his recent film and such. But think about it, if he ever ran, he would be a serious threat. His film the Passion would almost guarantee that he would carry the south and the west. His MASSIVE good looks and charisma would surely win over the female vote. Come on ladies, don't deny it ;). If Gibson was ever serious about running, I don't Hillary would stand a chance against him.

I'd go with Cheech...

He's legal, too...He was born in East LA...

I heard it in a song once and everything....

cnredd said:
I'd go with Cheech...

He's legal, too...He was born in East LA...

I heard it in a song once and everything....

lmao Now you've got me wanting to go rent some Cheech N Chong flicks.

I realize it might seem like some of the people I've named aren't, perhaps, extremely politically qualified. But unfortunately, the masses are more driven by who's simply charismatic and not who is the best qualified. What makes Hillary a threat or any politican for that matter is his/her likeability and charisma. I know it may sound dumb but that's what I think ultimately sways peoples' minds. :::shrugs::: I'm just trying to be realistic and put the Republicans in a situation where they can hold onto the White House. From a more, "conservative" standpoint, Bill Frist wouldd be a good choice, perhaps. But the bottom line is to hold on to the White House. Political strategy should come first.

George_Washington said:
Well, Donald Trump lives in New York.

I would never in a million years vote for Donald Trump.

Also, Ronald Reagan was from Hollywood and I think he turned out to be one of the greatest conservative leaders of our century.

He was governor of CA like Arnold but I'm just not ready to open up the office of President of the United States to people who weren't born here. Sorry Arnold.

talloulou said:
I would never in a million years vote for Donald Trump.

Why? He's conservative for the most part. He has some moderate views but he's mentioned before how well he thinks Bush has done on economic issues. I just think Trump is a smart guy who has contributed a lot to the real estate industry and to New York society in general. He's been divorced, he hasn't lived a perfect life by any means. But he has a graduate degree and I just think he might make a good leader.

He was governor of CA like Arnold but I'm just not ready to open up the office of President of the United States to people who weren't born here. Sorry Arnold.

Well, our first Secretary of Treasury Alexander Hamilton was an immigrant. And I would say he was actually more patriotic than many people who were born here. :::shrugs:::

Being that none of the guys you listed are actually socially conservative, they would not stand a chance at even getting the nomination.

Tom Cruise is rummored to be gay, and coupled with the fact that he is not a Christian, he would probably do good to get 5% of the Republican vote in the primaries, and if through some off chance he were to get the nomination, he probably would do good to get 20% of the popular vote. Moreover, he may well be as liberal as all get out. I mean how do you even know he is a Republican.

SouthernDemocrat said:
Being that none of the guys you listed are actually socially conservative, they would not stand a chance at even getting the nomination.

Tom Cruise is rummored to be gay, and coupled with the fact that he is not a Christian, he would probably do good to get 5% of the Republican vote in the primaries, and if through some off chance he were to get the nomination, he probably would do good to get 20% of the popular vote. Moreover, he may well be as liberal as all get out. I mean how do you even know he is a Republican.

I am not sure if Tom Cruise is a Republican but hey, Reagan started as a Democrat. But Cruise isn't extremely liberal, even on social issues. Scientology fundamentally teaches that smoking, drug use, and other social things can be self destructive. I highly doubt he is gay. He's a very high profile figure, so naturally there are bound to be rumors about him.

So, what ever happened to picking candidates based upon their ability to lead, or their ability to make sound policy decisions?

Charisma's important, but running the country is more important than winning the election. Neither of our parties understands this.

They should pick whomever happens to be free on bail at that time.

Korimyr the Rat said:
So, what ever happened to picking candidates based upon their ability to lead, or their ability to make sound policy decisions?

Charisma's important, but running the country is more important than winning the election. Neither of our parties understands this.

Well, Schwarzenegger might have the ability to lead. So might Mel, so might Trump, so might Cruise. The thing is, a lot of other potential candidates just don't have the charisma. Bill Frist is a smart guy and is conservative but he's actually too far to the right to win over enough people. He also isn't a tremendously moving speaker. For the Republicans to have a shot in 2008, they need to find someone who is not only smart but is also charismatic. Schwarzenegger would fit the bill, Donald Trump probably would. The thing is, I didn't pick anybody who is really, really conservative because they probably won't have a shot at winning.

Originally posted by George_Washington
lmao You crack me up. So what are your thoughts on Tom Cruise if he ever ran?
Running on the Scientology ticket, I presume. Because of people like him, I can't argue with the fanatical right when they talk about the whacko Hollywood stars that try to make political statements.

Billo_Really said:
Running on the Scientology ticket, I presume. Because of people like him, I can't argue with the fanatical right when they talk about the whacko Hollywood stars that try to make political statements.

lol

Well, see, I don't think he's nuts at all. Is it cause of his views on psychiatry? Dude, psychiatry can really harm people as much as it can help them. It's not an exact science. What works for one person might not work for another and also, some people just don't respond to drugs at all. Plus, I think a lot of it has to do with these big Pharmaceutical companies and doctors wanting to make money off of people. There have been so many reported cases over the years of people having negative side effects from psychiatric drugs, it would take me a 20 page post to list them all. I just don't see how Tom Cruise is crazy for speaking out against how nowdays, people want to just put kids and teenagers on drugs and they don't really want to face the problem. I know a girl at work who says she's been on practically everything and nothing has helped her. She said that she didn't like the artifical feeling that these drugs have caused her to have. I think if you would actually ask the vast majority of people that have been on psychiatric drugs, a good percentage of them would agree with Cruise. It's one thing to ask a doctor or somebody who has never been on psychiatric drugs. But I can honestly say that everyone I've known who has been on them have always said that these drugs have never helped them.

Also, for years psychiatrists were putting teenagers on anti-depressants like zoloft, for example. And they're just now finding out that they can cause suicidal tendencies! Give me a break.

George_Washington said:
I am not sure if Tom Cruise is a Republican but hey, Reagan started as a Democrat. But Cruise isn't extremely liberal, even on social issues. Scientology fundamentally teaches that smoking, drug use, and other social things can be self destructive. I highly doubt he is gay. He's a very high profile figure, so naturally there are bound to be rumors about him.

Tom Cruise is gay, not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)
He's suing for custody of his unborn child as we speak. Sounds like a great choice!

SouthernDemocrat said:

The whole scientology thing combined with the whole Katie Holmes thing makes Cruise completely unelectable. Also many find his views on psychiatry a little nuts. I myself am also against what I see as the over medicating of our society but most seem to feel Cruise could use a little medication.

And obviously when discussing Cruise for president we are completely joking right?

Last edited:
ptsdkid said:
Mitt Romney for pres in 2008!

I agree with you that Mitt Romney would be a good choice for the Republican nod. Being a liberal democrat I probably would not vote for him depending upon who the dem nominee is. However, if Romney won, I would not be upset. This is why:

1. He's got good economic sense - He did an incredible job stepping in on the SLC 2002 Olympic Bid. He ran a very tight ship - absent many excesses and as a result not only were the games incredible, they produced an economic windfall.

2. He got good political sense - He seems to have done a good job as Gov of mass. I don't really know b/c I don't follow mass. politics that closely....but I don't hear a great deal of complaints.

3. He's a uniter - This is what we really need, especially after GWB has polarized this country to such a degree with his catering to the radical right wing. We need someone who can come in and bring this country back together.
He has shown he can do this by his performance in the olympics and running mass which is a highly liberal state.

Who knows - I might actually vote Republican (I can't believe I actually said that)....he's way too conservative for me on social issues....but depending upon the alternative, who knows.

The downside: He probably could not win...the reason I say this is because being Mormon he will be ostracized by the radical religious right. They will be up in arms if he were to get the nomination because Mormons, although they are christian, don't meet their strict definition of "Christian".

George_Washington said:
He's not suing for custody, they have settled the matter privately, Cruise has agreed to take care of Kate Holmes and her child financially and whatnot.

Thanks for the update. That marriage always smelled like Michael Jackson's nuptials with Lisa Marie Presley.

Collin Powel all the way baby!!

mnpollock said:
Collin Powel all the way baby!!

***Collin Powell? He's a friggin liberal in elephant clothes. The guy's a loser.

ptsdkid said:
***Collin Powell? He's a friggin liberal in elephant clothes. The guy's a loser.

Blasphemy! Man, he was part of Bush's inner circle. ANYBODY who doesn't walk in lock step to them is crap in your eyes huh? That's sad.

Looser? Wasn't he a Cornel? And you one of the pinko anti-american anti-troops commie? I think you are. SUPPORT OUR TROOPS! SUPPORT OUR TROOPS! (sound familiar? :rofl )

Back
Top Bottom