• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who should survive?

LadyMoonlight

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
This is not mine I nicked the list from the net, then changed and added names etc. This has been around for a few decades and some older people here may have seen and done it before. I am hoping there will be enough people who have not seen or heard of this idea in its various scenarios, or would like to play with it and will have a go at it. I have added more characters to make it interesting and modernise it a tad and I have made up a new scenario (please don’t get picky with the scenario, it’s just the way it is).

Let’s say there has been a pandemic. Most people have died, but some have survived because either they have caught the disease and lived through it, or they are immune, or they have not been in contact with the disease, whichever you like. There are 23 people in this particular group. There is an island that has remained unaffected and the disease has not and cannot reach there. The island is known to have fresh water, food and forests. This is where these 23 people wish to go. However, the only means of transport to the island is a boat. There is only enough fuel for a one-way trip to the island and then the survivors will be on their own. Only 12 people and some goods can fit in the boat, the others are doomed to remain amongst the dead and dying. No way around it. Aside from the clothes on their backs, each person can bring one item with them, something that reflects their expertise/interests.

You have to pick 12 people from the list, rank them in order of priority, justify your choices and say what each person brought with them, why they chose that item if you wish. You may also decide on a system of government, currency and anything else you can think of.

Dr. Dane: 37 yrs., white, American, no religious affilitation, PhD in history, college professor, good health, married, one child (Bobby), active, enjoys politics.

Mrs. Dane: 38 yrs., white, Israeli/Jewish, B.A. & Masters Psychology, counsellor in mental health, good health, married, one child (Bobby), active in the community.

Bobby Dane: 10 yrs., white, American Jewish, special education classes for 4 yrs., mentally disabled, I.Q. under 70, good health, enjoys pets.

Mrs. Garcia: 33 yrs., Spanish American, Catholic, Year 9 education, cocktail waitress, ex- prostitute, good health, abandoned as a child, foster home as a youth, attacked by foster father at 12 yrs., ran away from home, returned to reformatory, stayed until 16 yrs., married at 17, divorced at 18 yrs., one child three weeks old (Jean).

Jean Garcia: 3 weeks old, Spanish American, good health, still nursing.

Adele Beaulieu: 18 yrs., white, French, Protestant, good health, high school education. Artist.

Mr. Newton: 25 yrs., black, Canadian, athletic, starting last year of medical school, homosexual, good health, seems bitter concerning racial problems.

Mrs. Clark: 28yrs. black, American, Protestant, college graduate, electronics engineer, married, no children, good health, enjoys sport, grew up in ghetto.

Mr. Blake: 51 yrs., white, American, Morman, B.Sc. in mechanics, very handy, 4 children, good health, enjoys outdoors and working in his shop.

Father Francis: 37 yrs., white, Irish, Catholic, college plus seminary, priest, active in civil rights, criticised for his liberal views, good health, former university athlete.

Dr. Gonzales: 66 years, Spanish American, Catholic, doctor in general practice, 2 heart attacks in past five years, but continues to practice.

Jack Davis: 23 yrs., white, Australian, Protestant, soldier trained in bush survival tactics, fit, healthy, high school education.

Rachael Jones: 24 yrs., white, British, wiccan, in good health, environmentalist, peace activist, degree in marine biology.

Lee Chin: Female, 58 yrs., Chinese Australian, atheist, divorced, diabetic, astronomer, keen gardener.

Mohammed Alouni: 34 yrs., male, Arab-American, Muslim, journalist, good health, married, no children.

Mrs. Abeer Alouni: 32 yrs., female, Egyptian, Muslim, lawyer, good health, active in the community, no children.

Mr. Abasi Adoyo: 28 yrs., black, male, Kenyan, Degree in Engineering, good health, single, one child.

Jomo Adoyo: 10 yrs., black, male, Kenyan, healthy, IQ 165, interested in science and maths.

Miss Svetlana Anosov: 19 yrs., female, Russian on holidays, atheist, to start university when she returns to Russia majoring in mathematics, suffers from epilepsy, single, no children.

Miss Akari Tanaka: 15 yrs., female, Japanese, healthy, high school education, only speaks Japanese.

Ms Ilse Engel: 27 yrs., female, German, lesbian feminist, degree in politics, speaks 4 languages, healthy, interested in History.

Daniel Ben-Tikvah: 35 yrs., male, Israeli/Jewish, trained soldier, healthy, interested in politics, widower, no children. Interested in horticulture, owns and operates a small farm.

James Band: 40 yrs., male, white, British, member of an ultra-right-wing white supremacist group, makes no secret of his racism, construction engineer, very fit ex-boxer, Protestant.

My List

I actually found picking an item harder than picking the people to survive. This is my list; I have tried to be balanced with my choices but I bet after I post it, I think of changes, things or people I could have, or should have, added. I am curious and awaiting other peoples’ lists. Have fun 

Jack Davis: 23 yrs., male, white, Australian, Protestant, soldier trained in bush survival tactics, fit, healthy, high school education.
Reason: Knowing how to survive would be an essential skill for the group. He could hunt and find other foods to eat. He would have knowledge of first aid for emergencies. Young enough for breeding a future population and fit with no medical problems is a plus. Potential problem could be that of an alpha male attempting to assert authority. Security concerns rather than agricultural labourer.
Item: A machete; a handy tool for chopping wood for fires and for killing game once trapped.

Jomo Adoyo: 10 yrs., black, male, Kenyan, healthy, IQ 165, interested in science and
maths.
Reason: High IQ essential for rebuilding, designing machines perhaps and a problem solver. Healthy for breeding future population when he is old enough.
Item: Calculator (solar powered).

Rachael Jones: 24 yrs., female, white, British, Wiccan, in good health, environmentalist, peace activist, degree in marine biology.
Reason: Degree in marine biology could be useful for knowing sea creatures habits, whether or not they are edible, could possibly build an area to keep sea creatures for food. Young enough and healthy enough for breeding future population. Environmentalist means she will treat the environment carefully to avoid any future repercussions on the land/ocean (pollution etc.).
Item: Microscope.

Daniel Ben-Tikvah: 35 yrs., male, Israeli/Jewish, trained soldier, healthy, interested in politics, widower, no children. Interested in horticulture, owns and operates a small farm.
Reason: Young and healthy enough for breeding future population, being a trained soldier he can help defend the settlement from any threats and can assist in hunting for food. He would also most likely have a good knowledge of first aid. His interest in politics could contribute to formulating a system of government. Being a farmer he would know about growing and harvesting crops.
Item: A box of various seeds.

Miss Svetlana Anosov: 19 yrs., female, Russian on holidays, atheist, to start university when she returned to Russia majoring in mathematics, suffers from epilepsy, single, no children.
Reason: Intelligent, good breeding age. Epilepsy could be a problem. Good knowledge of maths means she would be a problem solver (thinking logically). Agricultural labourer, food gatherer. Help with building shelters.
Item: A telescope.

Miss Akari Tanaka: 15 yrs., female, Japanese, healthy, high school education, only speaks Japanese.
Reason: Young and healthy for breeding future population. Young enough to have new ideas and not be “trapped” in an old mindset. Culturally most likely more respectful to older member of the community and more apt to listen and learn. Agricultural labourer and food gatherer. Help with building shelters.
Item: Japanese/English language translator (solar powered if possible rather than battery).

Mrs Garcia: 33 yrs., Spanish American, Catholic, Year 9 education, cocktail waitress, ex- prostitute, good health, abandoned as a child, foster home as a youth, attacked by foster father at 12 yrs., ran away from home, returned to reformatory, stayed until 16 yrs., married at 17, divorced at 18 yrs., one child three weeks old (Jean).
Reason: She is pretty tough and she is a survivor. She would handle whatever the new home threw at her and she would most likely be empathetic to people who are having a hard time managing. She most probably has a jaded view of life, but I think she would be a good judge of character and understand people and the way they think and act as good as any psychologist. Agricultural labourer and food gatherer, help with building shelters.
Item: Journal to record the events on the island.

Mr Abasi Adoyo: 28 yrs., black, male, Kenyan, Degree in Engineering, good health, single, one child.
Reason: Intelligent, his degree would be good for construction; buildings, drainage systems, irrigation systems. Young and healthy enough for breeding future population. Good moral and psychological support for his son.
Item: Shovel, basic tool to build drainage system and irrigation systems.

Mr Newton: 25 yrs., black, Canadian, athletic, starting last year of medical school, homosexual, good health, seems bitter concerning racial problems.
Reason: Medical knowledge essential for the colony. He is fit and healthy.
Item: Either a stethoscope or a blood pressure monitor…couldn’t decide which and then I thought what difference would have these items make because there would be no medication if there were heart problems or high blood pressure, so I am just not sure on this one.

Dr. Dane: 37 yrs., white, American, no religious affiliations, PhD in history, college professor, good health, married, one child (Bobby), active, enjoys politics.
Reason: Reasonably young and healthy, can remind the colony members of the
importance of History….forget it, repeat it etc. He is young enough to contribute to breeding for the colony. He can be the teacher of the young members of colony and act as a mentor. Can also be an agricultural labourer, food gatherer and assist in building shelters.
Item: A dictionary.

Reason: She would be a symbol of hope for the future. I can imagine the community taking an interest in her survival and health.
Item: Not Applicable

Adele Beaulieu: 18 yrs., white, French, Protestant, good health, high school education. Artist.
Reason: Young and healthy for breeding future population, able to be a field labourer for planting and harvesting crops, gathering food and building shelters.
Item: Biggest sketchbook she can carry to record visually life on the island. She would soon find other media to draw on and with.

System of government: Democracy; leader voted for by majority, election every year.

Okay, is that a trick question? If yes, I didn't see it ... and do not spend much time searching for the trick, but take it seriously. :)

My general idea is that the 12 who make it are supposed to form a new community of humans and become the basis for new generations of humans. I'm not sure if 12 individuals are even enough to breed healthy offsprings over several generations, but assuming they are, that means they should be picked in order to serve this purpose best.

That means that those who are too old to have children are out, so are the homosexuals unless they're willing to reproduce despite their orientation. The racist is out too, because no matter what skills he has, he wouldn't be valuable when he feels incapable of cooperating or sufficiently or reproducing with non-white people.

Dr. Dane: 37 yrs., white, American, no religious affilitation, PhD in history, college professor, good health, married, one child (Bobby), active, enjoys politics.

Mrs. Dane: 38 yrs., white, Israeli/Jewish, B.A. & Masters Psychology, counsellor in mental health, good health, married, one child (Bobby), active in the community.

Bobby Dane: 10 yrs., white, American Jewish, special education classes for 4 yrs., mentally disabled, I.Q. under 70, good health, enjoys pets.

Now there is the first dilemma already. The parents are probably good choices, as they are intelligent, although they have probably only few practical skills -- but Mrs. Dane is a bit old already for more children. So I'm inclined to only pick Dr. Dane -- but ripping apart the family? That would be cruel, as family cohesion is probably very important in a post-apocalyptic society.

So I put a "?" behind the three and look at them again in the end to see how much space is still left then.

Mrs. Garcia: 33 yrs., Spanish American, Catholic, Year 9 education, cocktail waitress, ex- prostitute, good health, abandoned as a child, foster home as a youth, attacked by foster father at 12 yrs., ran away from home, returned to reformatory, stayed until 16 yrs., married at 17, divorced at 18 yrs., one child three weeks old (Jean).

A female in good health, young enough to bear more children -- probably a good choice. In #1.

In with the mother. Young enough to reproduce later, if the child will make it through childhood. In #2.

In as #3, as she will be important for reproducing a new generation.

Mr. Newton: 25 yrs., black, Canadian, athletic, starting last year of medical school, homosexual, good health, seems bitter concerning racial problems.

Athletic skills are probably a good asset for surviving in a post-apocalyptic society, and he's young enough to reproduce, but assuming him being homosexual means he would not be willing to reproduce with a woman, he's out.

Mrs. Clark: 28yrs. black, American, Protestant, college graduate, electronics engineer, married, no children, good health, enjoys sport, grew up in ghetto.

Good health, sportive and fairly young -- she's in as #4.

Mr. Blake: 51 yrs., white, American, Morman, B.Sc. in mechanics, very handy, 4 children, good health, enjoys outdoors and working in his shop.

Inclined to say he's too old. Out.

Father Francis: 37 yrs., white, Irish, Catholic, college plus seminary, priest, active in civil rights, criticised for his liberal views, good health, former university athlete.

College education means he's probably above average intelligent, young enough to reproduce, and sportive -- in as #5.

Dr. Gonzales: 66 years, Spanish American, Catholic, doctor in general practice, 2 heart attacks in past five years, but continues to practice.

Probably too old to reproduce, and not in best health -- but his skills as doctor make him invaluable. In as #6.

Jack Davis: 23 yrs., white, Australian, Protestant, soldier trained in bush survival tactics, fit, healthy, high school education.

In as #7. Bush survival skills and sportive qualities are all very useful, and he's young enough to reproduce.

Rachael Jones: 24 yrs., white, British, wiccan, in good health, environmentalist, peace activist, degree in marine biology.

Young enough to reproduce and in good health. Biology skills are useful too on a lonely island. In as #8.

Lee Chin: Female, 58 yrs., Chinese Australian, atheist, divorced, diabetic, astronomer, keen gardener.

Not young enough and not in good health -- out.

Mohammed Alouni: 34 yrs., male, Arab-American, Muslim, journalist, good health, married, no children.

Good health and young enough to reproduce -- in as #9.

Mrs. Abeer Alouni: 32 yrs., female, Egyptian, Muslim, lawyer, good health, active in the community, no children.

Good health and fairly young -- in as #10.

Mr. Abasi Adoyo: 28 yrs., black, male, Kenyan, Degree in Engineering, good health, single, one child.

Jomo Adoyo: 10 yrs., black, male, Kenyan, healthy, IQ 165, interested in science and maths.

In as #11 and #12 ... okay, now I'm running out of space. I'll first go on and then sort out more in a second turn.

Miss Svetlana Anosov: 19 yrs., female, Russian on holidays, atheist, to start university when she returns to Russia majoring in mathematics, suffers from epilepsy, single, no children.

Epilepsy is a burden for the new society. Out.

Young enough to reproduce and healthy -- that she only speaks Japanese is no big problem, as she'll quickly learn another language. In as #13 in the first round.

Ms Ilse Engel: 27 yrs., female, German, lesbian feminist, degree in politics, speaks 4 languages, healthy, interested in History.

As she's lesbian and probably does not want to reproduce, she's out.

Farming and horticulture skills are very important. He's young enough and healthy to reproduce. In as #14.

James Band: 40 yrs., male, white, British, member of an ultra-right-wing white supremacist group, makes no secret of his racism, construction engineer, very fit ex-boxer, Protestant.

His racism will be a burden for a new multi-ethnic society. He's probably unwilling to reproduce with non-whites. Out.

Ok, so I have two people too many on my list. Let's see whom I can take off... I think I have to take off Mrs. Garcia and her child Jean. She's a tad too old already, and a baby is difficult to handle on the island.

So my list is:

1. Adele Beaulieu, 18 yrs, female
2. Mrs. Clark, 28 yrs, female
3. Father Francis, 37 yrs, male
4. Doctor Gonzales, 66 yrs, male
5. Jack Davis, 23 yrs, male
6. Rachael Jones, 24 yrs, female
7. Mohammed Alouni, 34 yrs, male
8. Mrs. Abeer Alouni, 32 yrs, female
9. Mr. Abasi Adoyo, 28 yrs, male
10. Jomo Adoyo, 10 yrs, male
11. Miss Akari Tanaka, 15 yrs, female
12. Daniel Ben-Tikvah, 35 yrs, male

Okay, now looking at that list ... they are 5 females vs. 7 males... not good. But then, Doctor Gonzales is probably not there for reproducing anyway. And in order to make sure there is a very broad genetic basis, they shouldn't reproduce monogamously either.

So I guess that list should be ok.

EDIT: I now see that Mr. Newton has medical knowledge too -- I'd replace Dr. Gonzales with him:

1. Adele Beaulieu, 18 yrs, female
2. Mrs. Clark, 28 yrs, female
3. Father Francis, 37 yrs, male
4. Mr. Newton, 25 yrs, male
5. Jack Davis, 23 yrs, male
6. Rachael Jones, 24 yrs, female
7. Mohammed Alouni, 34 yrs, male
8. Mrs. Abeer Alouni, 32 yrs, female
9. Mr. Abasi Adoyo, 28 yrs, male
10. Jomo Adoyo, 10 yrs, male
11. Miss Akari Tanaka, 15 yrs, female
12. Daniel Ben-Tikvah, 35 yrs, male

Last edited:
Okay, now the items:

Something practical, useful for their survival. If that's not available, she should take some tools with her she needs for producing the art she's best at.

A book about simple survival medicine he can use to teach future generations basic medicine.

Something useful for their survival.

An item useful for their survival. If that's not available, he should take a Bible with him. He could use it to teach new generations about their cultural heritage.

Tools required for bush survival, like a machete or whatever he sees as useful.

A biology book suited to teach the new generation of humans basic skills useful for their survival on the island, both regarding wildlife and breeding with a small biological basis.

Stuff useful for survival in general.

Books about simple mathematics required for practical problem solving.

Items useful for survival.

Farming equipment.

Whenever I wrote "items useful for survival", I think of tools to master nature, such as farming tools, knives, or medicine such as anti-biotics, medical equipment, and so on.

you need someone to preserve history and if there are future children on that island it is best to keep them knowledgeable .

good for carrying young and their need to be some level of entertainment on the island or people might go mad and admiring art can be one of a few interesting and beautiful things .

he will go well the next survivor in terms of medical knowledge he is also fit as well as healthy and the bitter of racial issues will most likely disappear when the people realize they need each other to thrive. Also can be used for reproductive things

He can rear young as well as he is trained soldier just in case if their is a problem in the group dynamic . He knows plants and had operated his own farm and will mostly bring something from the farm like seed or a important tool .

she can pass on her knowledge to Mr. Newton who has only begun in the medical field and she probably has a few years left for her to live .

Its a island and fish will become a main source of food as well as how she is healthy .

He is young but will be a keen building block if their is any future generations and in a couple years he can father young .

On a island people can break down mentally and you need to fix the problems out side and inside .

OK, I don't like the limited gene pool, but my methodology first took me to include the 10 I though would be most useful for a new society. They are:

Mr. Newton
Mrs. Clark
Mr. Blake
Dr. Gonzales
Jack Davis
Mr. Abasi Adoyo
Jomo Adoyo
Miss Svetlana Anosov
Daniel Ben-Tikvah
James Band

Now I have two slots open, and the mix is lacking a balance of women for procreation. The one woman who is 58 would be excluded as well as the one with the mentally disable child, in case it was genetic. I would have a lottery to select from the remaining women. The lesbian would be included on the condition she would have children. If Mrs. Garcia is selected in the first round, then she gets to take her child too, and no second round. Seems like she would be able to hold her child on the same seat, but I doubt that is part of the exercise.

Okay, now the items:

Something practical, useful for their survival. If that's not available, she should take some tools with her she needs for producing the art she's best at.

A book about simple survival medicine he can use to teach future generations basic medicine.

Something useful for their survival.

An item useful for their survival. If that's not available, he should take a Bible with him. He could use it to teach new generations about their cultural heritage.

Tools required for bush survival, like a machete or whatever he sees as useful.

A biology book suited to teach the new generation of humans basic skills useful for their survival on the island, both regarding wildlife and breeding with a small biological basis.

Stuff useful for survival in general.

Books about simple mathematics required for practical problem solving.

Items useful for survival.

Farming equipment.

Whenever I wrote "items useful for survival", I think of tools to master nature, such as farming tools, knives, or medicine such as anti-biotics, medical equipment, and so on.

Uh uh uh, German Guy, I am shaking my head and wagging my finger at you. You are not getting away with it:) You need a specific item for each survivor. Survival stuff isn't good enough :lol: Oh, and no it's not a trick question. As far as I know it was a way for people to look at their prejudices in the 60s or 70s. I think it is more fun this way, just as a survival exercise. I was stuck because I could'nt think what an 18 year old girl would think to bring with her.

OK, I don't like the limited gene pool, but my methodology first took me to include the 10 I though would be most useful for a new society. They are:

Mr. Newton
Mrs. Clark
Mr. Blake
Dr. Gonzales
Jack Davis
Mr. Abasi Adoyo
Jomo Adoyo
Miss Svetlana Anosov
Daniel Ben-Tikvah
James Band

Now I have two slots open, and the mix is lacking a balance of women for procreation. The one woman who is 58 would be excluded as well as the one with the mentally disable child, in case it was genetic. I would have a lottery to select from the remaining women. The lesbian would be included on the condition she would have children. If Mrs. Garcia is selected in the first round, then she gets to take her child too, and no second round. Seems like she would be able to hold her child on the same seat, but I doubt that is part of the exercise.

What specific items is each of your survivors going to bring? What form of government would you like?

1. Dr. Dane: 37 yrs., white, American, no religious affilitation, PhD in history, college professor, good health, married, one child (Bobby), active, enjoys politics.
Reason: Because he has more experience in life and is smart. Could help create the form of government with his knowledge of past history. Is the leader-type that these people need to start out creating their own civilization. Item: 100 meters of strong rope.

2. Dr. Gonzales: 66 years, Spanish American, Catholic, doctor in general practice, 2 heart attacks in past five years, but continues to practice.
Reason: He might be old and have health issues but having a doctor with all of these people is a must. He would need to start teaching a younger person how to be a doctor ASAP so when he dies they will have someone with some knowledge of what to do. Item: His doctor bad filled with instruments and medications.

3. Jack Davis: 23 yrs., white, Australian, Protestant, soldier trained in bush survival tactics, fit, healthy, high school education.
Reason: He is young, fit, and someone these people need to do anything that involves climbing or anything "dangerous" when they get to the island. Also will be a good choice because he is young and can start reproducing. Item: Machete

4. Adele Beaulieu: 18 yrs., white, French, Protestant, good health, high school education. Artist.
Reason: Her sole purpose would be reproduction because she is healthy and young. Item: State of the art compass.

5.Mrs. Dane: 38 yrs., white, Israeli/Jewish, B.A. & Masters Psychology, counsellor in mental health, good health, married, one child (Bobby), active in the community.
Reason: She is a psychologist and perhaps most or all of the people will need someone to talk to with the whole "everyone is dead and we are the only ones alive" thing. So she could also have one more child to help reproduce seeming her husband will be on the island as well. Item: Hunting knife.

6. Mr. Abasi Adoyo: 28 yrs., black, male, Kenyan, Degree in Engineering, good health, single, one child.
Reason: Him having a degree in Engineering is of most needing importance because these people will have to build up from nothing and his knowledge will be sure that they do anything just right. He is also young and could reproduce. Item: 100 meter measuring tape.

7.Jomo Adoyo: 10 yrs., black, male, Kenyan, healthy, IQ 165, interested in science and maths.
Reason: He is smart and will be much used when he gets older. His father could teach him everything he know about engineering. Item: Soccer ball.

8. Mrs. Abeer Alouni: 32 yrs., female, Egyptian, Muslim, lawyer, good health, active in the community, no children.
Reason: She is young and could have more children. Her knowledge of law will be much needed in creating a government system. Item: Sports team sized water jug.

9.Mr. Blake: 51 yrs., white, American, Morman, B.Sc. in mechanics, very handy, 4 children, good health, enjoys outdoors and working in his shop.
Reason: He is old but him being handy is good for them to have one more person to help build things. He likes being outdoors so he wouldn't be afraid to go exploring when they reach the island. Item: Tool box filled with tools.

10. Mrs. Clark: 28yrs. black, American, Protestant, college graduate, electronics engineer, married, no children, good health, enjoys sport, grew up in ghetto.
Reason: She is young and gradutated from college meaning she has more knowledge than those left. And her being healthy is also very important. Item: Flint and steel.

11. Daniel Ben-Tikvah: 35 yrs., male, Israeli/Jewish, trained soldier, healthy, interested in politics, widower, no children. Interested in horticulture, owns and operates a small farm.
Reason: He is healthy and is a trained soldier. Interested in politics is a good trait to have in these circumstances because they will have to create a government. Also could start a good plantation on the island. Item: Shovel

12. Rachael Jones: 24 yrs., white, British, wiccan, in good health, environmentalist, peace activist, degree in marine biology.
Reason: Main reason being she is young and healthy. She aslo has a degree which means she probably isn't stupid. But she isn't as important as others. Item: Bow and arrows

They would create a democracy where they would elect a new president every 2 years. The president can be re-elected 2 times. They would create their own type of currency of their choice.

THis is entirely too much thinking for me to do, at this time of day. I'll have to get back on it this evening. :lol:

Number 1: He would keep lectures to the youth of the island. Provide a sense of cultural and heritage identity.

Would teach Psychology and other issues to the future youth of the island.

In time his strength may become useful for the unwanted chores in the island (3 by now).

4th, a tough bone to deal with difficulties in the island (potential mate?)

Future offspring of our island. This at this age though can be carried so still 4.

5th, to both entertain artistically and be my wife to populate the island ;)

Sorry, gays would be a burden to survival. They can take their bloodline suicidal tendencies at other islands with them.

Perhaps, 6th.

Yes, we need handy, 7th.

No religion in my island!

A doctor! Hell yes, 8th! He would teach his knowledge while is capable though.

Good for hunting, 9th.

Specialist at hunting, and may help the doctor with animal wounds. Also good as a teacher and a wife, 10th.

Too much of a burden, no!

Journalism is useless in the island. We have a historian for a possibility of when we have contact from an outside world. No!

She'll want to stay with her husband.

I have a mechanic and a handy man that could teach. No!

His abilities would be traumatized in guilt from separation. Burden. No!

Epilepsy!! No!

She has a lot of language to learn, 11th!

Lesbian! Go become an existential burden to another island! No!

YES! 12!

[/QUOTE]

Never! He'll just screw up everyone with his open prejudice!

This is not mine I nicked the list from the net, then changed and added names etc. This has been around for a few decades and some older people here may have seen and done it before. I am hoping there will be enough people who have not seen or heard of this idea in its various scenarios, or would like to play with it and will have a go at it. I have added more characters to make it interesting and modernise it a tad and I have made up a new scenario (please don’t get picky with the scenario, it’s just the way it is).

Let’s say there has been a pandemic. Most people have died, but some have survived because either they have caught the disease and lived through it, or they are immune, or they have not been in contact with the disease, whichever you like. There are 23 people in this particular group. There is an island that has remained unaffected and the disease has not and cannot reach there. The island is known to have fresh water, food and forests. This is where these 23 people wish to go. However, the only means of transport to the island is a boat. There is only enough fuel for a one-way trip to the island and then the survivors will be on their own. Only 12 people and some goods can fit in the boat, the others are doomed to remain amongst the dead and dying. No way around it. Aside from the clothes on their backs, each person can bring one item with them, something that reflects their expertise/interests.

You have to pick 12 people from the list, rank them in order of priority, justify your choices and say what each person brought with them, why they chose that item if you wish. You may also decide on a system of government, currency and anything else you can think of.

I'm a bit confused with this game. It's almost like "Lord of The Flies" meets "The Stand."

First off - anyone that is immune from the disease can stay behind.

The item I would take would be a knife.

These would be the people I would bring and I cant put them in order

Rachael Jones: 24 yrs., white, British, wiccan, in good health, environmentalist, peace activist, degree in marine biology

First and foremost objective number 1 would be survival of the species, so woman of child baring age would certainly top the list as well as young healthy males. After that individuals with skills (medical doctors, engineers, survivalists etc) would be desired.

Small things like agriculture aren't necessary because these are things we can learn (and most of us already know)....

Uh uh uh, German Guy, I am shaking my head and wagging my finger at you. You are not getting away with it:) You need a specific item for each survivor. Survival stuff isn't good enough :lol: Oh, and no it's not a trick question. As far as I know it was a way for people to look at their prejudices in the 60s or 70s. I think it is more fun this way, just as a survival exercise. I was stuck because I could'nt think what an 18 year old girl would think to bring with her.

Okay, I guess I have to think harder what you'll need on such an island ... I'm not really well versed about survival strategies, so I don't really know what the basics are. Really hard to tell what each of them should carry, with the exception of the med student, who should bring a medicine book and/or crucial medical equipment with him, and the survival specialist should chose a tool of his choice (first thought is a machete -- but then, I don't really know enough about that island).

Reading the list again now, I realize I just assumed Dr. Gonzales is male. Although, if I read it correctly, there is no indication about his/her gender. Anyway, I think it's better not to send him, but the law student instead -- the med student is younger, in better health, and I doubt they'll need medical knowledge from the last year anyway, they'll be more concerned about the basics. The only point speaking in favor of Gonzales is his/her long experience with medical practize -- but a young healthy med student capable of reproducing who can serve the community for decades ideally, is better than a more experienced doctor who might die of heart problems after a few months.

One more thought occurred to me: The two Alounis have the same last name. Could be brother and sister. That would be bad for the genetic basis -- there should be more diversity in order to broaden the gene pool. So if they are relatives, I'd replace Mohammed Alouni, 34yrs, with a woman ... probably Mrs. Ilse Engel, 27yrs, as her skills are useful. As a lesbian, maybe she's unwilling to reproduce with a man, just like Mr. Newton is unwilling to reproduce with a woman -- but maybe they can find a way to cause a conception without requiring them to have sex (shouldn't be too difficult, right?), or they agree to have sex just for reproduction.

If that's out of the question, and/or Ilse Engel refuses to have a child entirely, I'd replace her either with the baby, Jean Garcia (Jean is a female first name, right?), because once grown up, she can reproduce well. Or with the mother, Mrs. Garcia -- but I doubt she'd be willing to leave her baby behind. Depending on the type of epilepsy, maybe even Miss Anosov could be useful (some types of epilepsy aren't hereditary, IIRC).

With this female replacement for Mohammed Alouni, the male/female ratio would be 6/6, which is good... better than the 5/7 problem on the first list.

So... are 12 people even a sufficient basis for a new human population over several generations? Someone in the know about that? At any rate, there should be a detailed plan about whom is going to reproduce with whom, and probably no monogamous reproduction for a couple of decades. That could cause problems, depending on the social dynamics within that group. Probably it would be useful for the doctor to find a way for artificial insemination or something -- the society shouldn't derive into tolerating or even sanctioning rape, but at the same time, they will have to follow a strict genetic plan to survive for more than just a few generations. Finding a way to allow the members of the society to reproduce without sex would also lower the problems of jalousy or somesuch which might become problematic -- decoupling monogamous relationships from reproduction.

As for the form of government, I doubt that 12 people need a complex system. They should decide democratically by majority vote, preferably debating every topic until there is unanimity (should be possible in a group of 12). Likewise, they don't need an economic system, and can't afford to waste any resources, but the group is small enough to share instead of competing. There should be no private property allowed to the individual that is crucial for the health or survival of others -- who needs it, gets it.

Back
Top Bottom