• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who should pay for the relief?

aheimermann

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Who should pay for the relief from the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill?

That is this week's Quick Vote question on my website.

What do you think? Who should pay?

I personally think BP should.

It was BP's responsibility to ensure proper maintenance on its oil rig and thus naturally the cost should, and as far as I've heard is, falling on them.

Of course ALL expenses for anything and everything related to this massive greed-made crisis falls upon BP, Transoceanic, Haliburton, all of their BoDs, and all stockholders in these corporations. Furthermore, those that had any decision making responsibilities leading to this assault on our planet should be held CRIMINALLY liable.

No freakin' mercy.

I think environmentalists share in some of the blame, they helped limit drilling closer to shore.
Which in the event of an accident, would have made it 100x easier to cap a problem well.

I think environmentalists share in some of the blame, they helped limit drilling closer to shore.
Which in the event of an accident, would have made it 100x easier to cap a problem well.

Of course with more drilling closer to shore, any spills that would have occured would impact the costal shores more directly. And oil wells are not particularly tourist friendly for coastal area's. Imagine the business Daytona would lose if a few oil wells were visiable from the beaches, and for Daytona the tourist trade would top any money made from the oil wells

Of course with more drilling closer to shore, any spills that would have occured would impact the costal shores more directly. And oil wells are not particularly tourist friendly for coastal area's. Imagine the business Daytona would lose if a few oil wells were visiable from the beaches, and for Daytona the tourist trade would top any money made from the oil wells

The impact would be negligible compared to what is occurring now.
Fixing a leak in shallower waters would be loads easier than doing one more than a mile below the ocean surface.

As to the impact in tourist areas, don't do it right in those areas.
Not to mention that structures become less visible because of the curvature of the earth.

BP, end of discussion.

The impact would be negligible compared to what is occurring now.
Fixing a leak in shallower waters would be loads easier than doing one more than a mile below the ocean surface.

As to the impact in tourist areas, don't do it right in those areas.
Not to mention that structures become less visible because of the curvature of the earth.

I would agree if the regulations on where you can drill were a new thing, but deep water drilling has been around for a while and BP had plenty of time to adapt or choose not to drill there.

Personally, I think the U.S. government should revoke all licenses and permissions for BP to operate all of it's other offshore rigs until this current one is dealt with. All BP oil rigs should also have to undergo a thorough investigation and re-fitting for safety devices before they can be allowed to operate. That will not only punish BP but also help initiate better preventative measures.

Of course ALL expenses for anything and everything related to this massive greed-made crisis falls upon BP, Transoceanic, Haliburton, all of their BoDs, and all stockholders in these corporations. Furthermore, those that had any decision making responsibilities leading to this assault on our planet should be held CRIMINALLY liable.

No freakin' mercy.

Personally, I think our Congressmen and political party members who advocate deregulation of industries are more liable than stockholders of those corporations. After all, stockholders have very few executive power over the running and operation of those corporations. Stockholders only invest in companies to make a legitimate buck, while Congressmen who listen to party members who advocate deregulation accept campaign funding from them in order to vote against regulatory legislation of these industries.

I would agree if the regulations on where you can drill were a new thing, but deep water drilling has been around for a while and BP had plenty of time to adapt or choose not to drill there.

It has but it is still incredibly difficult to manage.

If we allowed more liberal drilling policies, in relation to proximity of the shore line, this probably wouldn't be a big deal anymore.

Me, I got this one, don't worry about it guys. *opens up wallet*

No freakin' mercy.

Excuse me, but it turns out that Halliburton warned BP about going short on safety for prepping their part of the work. So I guess that takes the air out of your anticipated opportunity to blame Cheney for this.

FOXNews.com - BP Engineer Called Doomed Rig a 'Nightmare Well'

BP should pay - but will they? Will it come from their pockets?

Likely no - it will come from OUR pockets every time someone unknowingly buys BP oil/byproducts . . . their cost will go up to cover it, rather than taking a hit for the team. That's the downside to fining companies and expecting them to cover costs of anything "extra" - they'll always find a way to pass it onto the customer.

BP should pay - but will they? Will it come from their pockets?

Likely no - it will come from OUR pockets every time someone unknowingly buys BP oil/byproducts . . . their cost will go up to cover it, rather than taking a hit for the team. That's the downside to fining companies and expecting them to cover costs of anything "extra" - they'll always find a way to pass it onto the customer.

Not if we take away their licenses to operate in the U.S.

Back
Top Bottom