• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who shares the bulk of the blame for violent "protestors" at Trump events?

Who shares the bulk of the blame for violent "protestors" at Trump events?

• Total voters
So why is that a problem? Were they inciting people to riot or commit violence? If not, then all you're telling us is someone was organized and believes in free speech.

And they are respoinsible for what these people do.

They créate the situation, provide the materials, tell the protesters what to say and how to say it, so yes they are responsable for every bad act of those people.

Trump, the protestors themselves or someone else? Notice I said the "bulk" of the blame. That leaves some room for finding some fault with both. I'm asking, if you have an opinion, who shares the majority of the blame (if you think it's 50/50, this is not the poll you're looking for).

To many Americans, abortion is the most horrendous slaughter of the innocent that happens in the world, but that is no justification for killing or even threatening an abortion clinic worker or doctor.

Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton et al are some of the most dishonest and ineffective leaders many Americans can remember in their lifetime, but no matter what stupid or dishonest things they say is no excuse for threats on their lives or those who admire them.

Donald Trump says things that infuriate many, but that is no excuse or justification for Trump haters to destroy public and private property, assault people, try to injure police or police horses, and try to prevent people for attending and/or enjoying a legal public gathering.

I have a neighbor and there are a lot of people on this message board who says things that make me shudder because they are so offensive to me, but that is no justification for trying to punish them or make their lives miserable because they offend me.

To say that it is Donald Trump's fault for evoking that kind of wrath and hate is absolutely stupid. Nor is it Hillary's or Obama's or Elizabeth Warren or some Republican opponent's fault for calling Trump names and encouraging people to despise him?

No the fault lies strictly with those who organize that kind of hateful demonstration and those willing to participate in it for money or whatever. It is nobody else's. It is also indefensible, reprehensible, unjustifiable, and un-American.

In USSR, where I came from, Anti -- Communist Propaganda was a crime. Many Progressives consider disagreeing with their ideas to be a moral crime. Thus from the protesters perspective their attacks are self defense.

Arjay81 said:
So you are okay with these "protestors" attempting to limit the free speech of those that they disagree with by using violence.

How in the world did you get that from what I posted?

How in the world did you get that from what I posted?

You seem to blame the supporters of Trump and hold these "protestors" a pass, while claiming that you don't really know. These "protestors" are infringing upon the free speech of those that they disagree with. That is how.

I want to hear people out. If you honestly think that Trump deserves most of the blame for this violence, then be consistent and tell me that MLK was deserving or asking to be assassinated. Come on, do it. Show me that you're not a hack.

Arjay81 said:
You seem to blame the supporters of Trump and hold these "protestors" a pass, while claiming that you don't really know. These "protestors" are infringing upon the free speech of those that they disagree with. That is how.

Well, here's what I wrote:

Ash said:
I haven't been at any of them, so I cannot say. Could be just as the narratives suggest, that the protestors are simply unruly jerks. It could also be that they were goaded into it by Trump supporters. Hurl enough insults and/or threats at someone, they'll snap. I don't think as much blame accrues to protestors in that kind of situation. Again, however, I wasn't there, so I don't know who is to blame.

I did indeed say it is possible the protestors are not to blame. But I also said (in the bolded part, above) it's possible they are. If they are just a bunch of unruly jerks, they very well deserve blame, and I am not for giving them a pass.

In the part you seem to have zeroed-in on (which is underlined), I was pointing out that it's possible to stir up enough anger by insulting/threatening someone, without physically assaulting that person, to push even a usually level-headed and reasonable person over the edge, and when someone does that, the blame is lessened. I think that's a simple fact. However, I do not know which situation describes what actually happened.

The point of my post is to add some nuance to lines that are being drawn, which seem to be based on the notion that whoever throws the first (physical) punch is solely to blame. Some people have that point of view, but it seems to me a fair analysis of blameworthiness is more complicated.

Last edited:
Well, here's what I wrote:

I did indeed say it is possible the protestors are not to blame. But I also said (in the bolded part, above) it's possible they are. If they are just a bunch of unruly jerks, they very well deserve blame, and I am not for giving them a pass.

In the part you seem to have zeroed-in on (which is underlined), I was pointing out that it's possible to stir up enough anger by insulting/threatening someone, without physically assaulting that person, to push even a usually level-headed and reasonable person over the edge, and when someone does that, the blame is lessened. I think that's a simple fact. However, I do not know which situation describes what actually happened.

The point of my post is to add some nuance to lines that are being drawn, which seem to be based on the notion that whoever throws the first (physical) punch is solely to blame. Some people have that point of view, but it seems to me a fair analysis of blameworthiness is more complicated.

No one else is responsible for a person attacking someone than the person doing the attack. Even if they say nasty things to get them angry, at the end of the day, the person responsible is the person committing the physical act of violence. There is no time where simple words justify an actual physical assault on someone else. I don't care what they say.

I voted the protesters themselves, but that's not say Trump does not fan the flames with incitefull rhetoric as do all politicians. For Trump's message of "taking our country back" the emotions run high and he feeds those emotions.

ajn678 said:
No one else is responsible for a person attacking someone than the person doing the attack. Even if they say nasty things to get them angry, at the end of the day, the person responsible is the person committing the physical act of violence. There is no time where simple words justify an actual physical assault on someone else. I don't care what they say.

Well, first to clarify my position: I do not say that if the protestors instigated violence, they are off the hook (though they nevertheless may be--see below). They may not have instigated the violence, however, in which case, they are blameless. In the event they did instigate the violence, I am pointing out that fact alone is not enough to assign blame.

Hopefully it's at least clear what I am claiming. With that out of the way, if by "responsible" you mean "blameworthy" or "culpable" then your principle is obviously false. Consider the following scenarios:

1. Assume you have an elementary-school-age daughter, and that other background details in the scenario are true. For a couple of weeks, you see me jogging every morning on your street. I'm a new addition, but don't ever do anything threatening, though maybe it's weird that I always seem just to have jogged by and gotten in a car when you and your children are loading into the van to go to school.

One day, I happen to be just off the curb, in the street, right in front of your house, just standing there, when you get home. I hail you when you get out of your car, and I say "Greetings! I'm on my way to kill your daughter. I know she's at Booker Elementary School, and I've timed it--I'll get there and blow her head off before the police arrive. My AK and pistols are in my car just down the street. I just thought you should know. Cheery-oh!"

Are you telling me that you should just say "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me!" I think at the very least you'd be justified in tackling me to the ground and yelling for your neighbors to come help. And it wouldn't change anything if it was later discovered that I was just messed-up in the head and had no means of carrying out my threats.

2. In this scenario, assume you have a wife, and other background details are true. You and your wife are out on a nice date. I come over to your table and start yelling at your wife, calling her a donkey-sucking cum slut, and various other seriously degrading terms. The restaurant manager and a couple of cooks show up to throw me out, which they have to do by physically grabbing me and throwing me out. I later sue the restaurant, and it turns out they called 911 first, and the operator told them it would be half-an-hour to an hour before police could arrive, which is why the manager took matters into his own hands. You're called to testify, and the restaurant's attorney asks you point-blank whether you think they acted rightly or not.

Are you telling me you should say "no, they were in the wrong to throw him out, since he was never actually assaulting anyone"? Again, obviously they were not in the wrong. It would not have been wrong of you to help them.

If your principle were true, there would be no reason to blame propaganda ministers for genocidal regimes, since all they ever do is just utter words. Nor would there be any reason to blame someone who yells "fire!" in a crowded theater, causing a stampede toward the door that crushes someone to death. Words matter. They can cause a person's beliefs to change, and beliefs in turn motivate action. With what we now know about human psychology, it's relatively easy to bring about a set of beliefs in someone such that a) the person is justified in believing them and b) those beliefs justify the instigation of violence. See scenarios above for examples. Blame for an incident can accrue to someone for the words they utter.

Last edited:
Ash said:
They may not have instigated the violence, however, in which case, they are blameless.

On reflection, this is also false. The protestors, even if they were not the first to instigate violence, might have deserved to be attacked based on what they were saying--for exactly the reasons explained in my post above.

On reflection, this is also false. The protestors, even if they were not the first to instigate violence, might have deserved to be attacked based on what they were saying--for exactly the reasons explained in my post above.

Using that "logic" then if Joe utters something that you consider fighting words and Mary is seen wearing an "I love Joe" hat then that justifies striking Mary. No evidence, thus far, has been presented that those attacked did anything other than publicly support a particular candidate for POTUS.

ttwtt78640 said:
Using that "logic" then if Joe utters something that you consider fighting words and Mary is seen wearing an "I love Joe" hat then that justifies striking Mary.

No, doesn't seem so to me, and I'm not sure why you think so. Read the scenarios I posted above(post #37). There seem to be some clear differences between my examples in post #37, or examples like them, and the one you posted, above. It would not be sufficient for Mary to express a liking for Joe, nor is it necessarily sufficient for Joe to express a desire to fight for him to deserve a violent response. The situation would have to be much more severe before violence is called-for. That doesn't mean such severe situations do not exist--they clearly do.

Where the line is that divides situations between those that warrant a violent response, and those that don't, may be difficult to pin down precisely. That doesn't mean there isn't one, or that there aren't some cases that are clearly on the justified side of that line. Again, see scenarios posted in #37. I'm arguing against people who say there is no line, that there can be literally no instance in which a person is justified for being the first to attack.

ttwtt78640 said:
No evidence, thus far, has been presented that those attacked did anything other than publicly support a particular candidate for POTUS.

By the same token, does anyone seriously believe that literally all the relevant facts are to be found in the news stories presented? That would be extraordinary. That no evidence has been presented doesn't mean there is no evidence. If the question is whether or not someone is actually blameworthy (not whether we should think they are), then what matters is what actually happened, not the narrative that someone writes up for an article.

None of this is to say the protestors don't deserve the blame, or even all of the blame. They may very well deserve all the blame. But then again, even if they were the first to throw punches or stones or whatever they did, they may not deserve all the blame, or even any of it. There are situations where starting violence is entirely justified, and excuses blame.

No, doesn't seem so to me, and I'm not sure why you think so. Read the scenarios I posted above(post #37). There seem to be some clear differences between my examples in post #37, or examples like them, and the one you posted, above. It would not be sufficient for Mary to express a liking for Joe, nor is it necessarily sufficient for Joe to express a desire to fight for him to deserve a violent response. The situation would have to be much more severe before violence is called-for. That doesn't mean such severe situations do not exist--they clearly do.

Where the line is that divides situations between those that warrant a violent response, and those that don't, may be difficult to pin down precisely. That doesn't mean there isn't one, or that there aren't some cases that are clearly on the justified side of that line. Again, see scenarios posted in #37. I'm arguing against people who say there is no line, that there can be literally no instance in which a person is justified for being the first to attack.

By the same token, does anyone seriously believe that literally all the relevant facts are to be found in the news stories presented? That would be extraordinary. That no evidence has been presented doesn't mean there is no evidence. If the question is whether or not someone is actually blameworthy (not whether we should think they are), then what matters is what actually happened, not the narrative that someone writes up for an article.

None of this is to say the protestors don't deserve the blame, or even all of the blame. They may very well deserve all the blame. But then again, even if they were the first to throw punches or stones or whatever they did, they may not deserve all the blame, or even any of it. There are situations where starting violence is entirely justified, and excuses blame.

This post represents the classic liberal excuse formula. If threatened, you have no excuse to respond and if you do,you are to blame. No matter what the circumstances. Liberals and their supporters are ALWAYS correct in their actions and statements. Ignoring facts and actual photographic evidence and claiming it as unreliable unless it supports your stance is just plain an example of the liberal bias.

In addition, claiming that "relevant facts" should be dismissed because you say so is tantamount to restriction of free speech. Oh, I forgot! Many democrats are already calling for that! Are you one of them?

Arjay81 said:
This post represents the classic liberal excuse formula. If threatened, you have no excuse to respond and if you do,you are to blame.

Uh, what? Again, how did you get that from my posts? I clearly said that if someone threatens you, you do have a right to respond, in some circumstances, by violence. That's scenario 1, post # 37, which is conveniently copied for you below:

Ash said:
1. Assume you have an elementary-school-age daughter, and that other background details in the scenario are true. For a couple of weeks, you see me jogging every morning on your street. I'm a new addition, but don't ever do anything threatening, though maybe it's weird that I always seem just to have jogged by and gotten in a car when you and your children are loading into the van to go to school.

One day, I happen to be just off the curb, in the street, right in front of your house, just standing there, when you get home. I hail you when you get out of your car, and I say "Greetings! I'm on my way to kill your daughter. I know she's at Booker Elementary School, and I've timed it--I'll get there and blow her head off before the police arrive. My AK and pistols are in my car just down the street. I just thought you should know. Cheery-oh!"

Are you telling me that you should just say "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me!" I think at the very least you'd be justified in tackling me to the ground and yelling for your neighbors to come help. And it wouldn't change anything if it was later discovered that I was just messed-up in the head and had no means of carrying out my threats.

To sum up what this scenario and my comment is supposed to tell you: if someone threatens your children (for example) you at the very least are in the right to tackle and detain them. The same would go, methinks, if someone threatened your spouse, your brother, your parents, your neighbor, or even some bloke walking down the street. People have a right to respond to a credible threat with reasonable violence. Is that clear?

Arjay81 said:
No matter what the circumstances. Liberals and their supporters are ALWAYS correct in their actions and statements. Ignoring facts and actual photographic evidence and claiming it as unreliable unless it supports your stance is just plain an example of the liberal bias.

I have no idea why any of this is relevant to anything I wrote. Perhaps you could explain.

Arjay81 said:
In addition, claiming that "relevant facts" should be dismissed because you say so is tantamount to restriction of free speech.

No it isn't. And I didn't say that any relevant facts should be dismissed. In fact, I wrote:

Ash from post #40 said:

The point being that no news story will contain all the relevant facts, and none of the relevant facts should be dismissed, whether or not they appear in someone's news story. Is that clear?

Arjay81 said:
Oh, I forgot! Many democrats are already calling for that! Are you one of them?

Calling for what?

Uh, what? Again, how did you get that from my posts? I clearly said that if someone threatens you, you do have a right to respond, in some circumstances, by violence. That's scenario 1, post # 37, which is conveniently copied for you below:

To sum up what this scenario and my comment is supposed to tell you: if someone threatens your children (for example) you at the very least are in the right to tackle and detain them. The same would go, methinks, if someone threatened your spouse, your brother, your parents, your neighbor, or even some bloke walking down the street. People have a right to respond to a credible threat with reasonable violence. Is that clear?

I have no idea why any of this is relevant to anything I wrote. Perhaps you could explain.

No it isn't. And I didn't say that any relevant facts should be dismissed. In fact, I wrote:

The point being that no news story will contain all the relevant facts, and none of the relevant facts should be dismissed, whether or not they appear in someone's news story. Is that clear?

Calling for what?

A typical of a democrat, spin and lie your way (you think) out of any comment that makes you look bad, deny any facts that you disapprove of and resort to any form of distortion or deception to make yourself look intelligent. It isn't working.

Trump, the protestors themselves or someone else? Notice I said the "bulk" of the blame. That leaves some room for finding some fault with both. I'm asking, if you have an opinion, who shares the majority of the blame (if you think it's 50/50, this is not the poll you're looking for).

When the protests started against Trump, he was slow in responding to quiet his people in response to those protesters.....but remember it wasn't Trump's people who were protesting it was anti Trump people, you know those who will support either the Queen of Corruption or the Burn.
In recent days in California it looks to me like a lot of pro-liberal people or people who haven't got a clue what they are protesting, who want open borders and a lot of free stuff that democrats have promised them. (which we know Hillary or Sanders can't deliver)
While liberal supporters blame Trump they really should look in the mirror. Its isn't Trump supporters tramping on Police cars and/or beating their chest and screaming profanity at any of the California protests, they are all Sanders and Hillary supporters.
In my opinion the Mexican flag wavers are defeating themselves and turning the voters more in Trumps favor and against liberals.

The San Diego Mayor comment that it was Trump's fault is absurd and stupid, but I guess expected by a liberal.

I wonder what would happen if Trump supporters rallied in protest at a Hillary or Sanders event? I have a feeling people like the mayor of San Diego would sent out the police in force and maybe even the National Guard to jail those protesters. Did any one notice the absent of police when Hillary and Bernie protesters supporters were beating and rioting in the streets of San Diego?

When the protests started against Trump, he was slow in responding to quiet his people in response to those protesters.....but remember it wasn't Trump's people who were protesting it was anti Trump people, you know those who will support either the Queen of Corruption or the Burn.
In recent days in California it looks to me like a lot of pro-liberal people or people who haven't got a clue what they are protesting, who want open borders and a lot of free stuff that democrats have promised them. (which we know Hillary or Sanders can't deliver)
While liberal supporters blame Trump they really should look in the mirror. Its isn't Trump supporters tramping on Police cars and/or beating their chest and screaming profanity at any of the California protests, they are all Sanders and Hillary supporters.
In my opinion the Mexican flag wavers are defeating themselves and turning the voters more in Trumps favor and against liberals.

The San Diego Mayor comment that it was Trump's fault is absurd and stupid, but I guess expected by a liberal.

I wonder what would happen if Trump supporters rallied in protest at a Hillary or Sanders event? I have a feeling people like the mayor of San Diego would sent out the police in force and maybe even the National Guard to jail those protesters. Did any one notice the absent of police when Hillary and Bernie protesters supporters were beating and rioting in the streets of San Diego?
Except for a few instances where there was a *possibility* that he himself could be held liable, I am not aware of any time where Trump even suggested that his supporters scale it back.

Arjay81 said:
A typical of a democrat, spin and lie your way (you think) out of any comment that makes you look bad, deny any facts that you disapprove of and resort to any form of distortion or deception to make yourself look intelligent. It isn't working.

If that were truly the case, it would be all too easy for you to make intelligible and lucid replies. If I were truly deceptive and unintelligent, you'd have made a substantive reply, answering the questions I asked you and responding to each of the answers I gave you...which is just what you didn't do.

Can't answer your question, because one answer is glaringly absent. That answer is that both Trump supporters and protesters are to blame.

If that were truly the case, it would be all too easy for you to make intelligible and lucid replies. If I were truly deceptive and unintelligent, you'd have made a substantive reply, answering the questions I asked you and responding to each of the answers I gave you...which is just what you didn't do.

I don't answer your "questions" because they are nothing more than a worthless expression of your partisanship.

Your answers and responses lend to the judgment of how deceptive and truly unintelligent you are.

As for "intelligible and lucid" replies, from your responses you would not recognize one or just continue to deny that anyone but you is capable of such. Which once again shows your bias and lack of depth.

If people are solely responsible for their own actions, that means protesters are solely responsible for protests, violent or not. Ok.

Ergo, we as a society are solely responsible for the government we get as we elect them. No blaming deception by politicians, or lobbying, or anything else. It's on us.

Arjay81 said:
I don't answer your "questions" because they are nothing more than a worthless expression of your partisanship.

Hmmmm...I asked twice whether something was clear, once for you to explain further something you wrote, and once "calling for what?" in reference to when you wrote:

Oh, I forgot! Many democrats are already calling for that! Are you one of them?

Because "that" could refer to either dismissal of relevant facts, or restriction of freedom of speech.

So the only "partisanship" on display is on the clarity vs obfuscation side. I've said exactly what I think and why. I've asked you to clarify what you mean, and you only respond with insults and rhetoric.

Arjay81 said:
Your answers and responses lend to the judgment of how deceptive and truly unintelligent you are.

That's weird.

Arjay81 said:
As for "intelligible and lucid" replies, from your responses you would not recognize one or just continue to deny that anyone but you is capable of such. Which once again shows your bias and lack of depth.

Plenty of people are capable of intellgibile and lucid replies. If I thought you weren't, I'd just stop replying.

Back
Top Bottom