• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who sends sons and daughters to war?

• their parents?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • the governments?

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • somebody else?

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Isn't that quite an archaic idea?

Governments send people to war. Practically every person is a son or daughter.

There's no draft in the U.S. so they volunteer to go where the government sends them.

Well, from what I have read, a lot of American boys and even famous male movie stars sent themselves to war.

There was a genuine desire among many American males to join the armed forces after Pearl Harbor.

JFK and Richard Nixon were among them.

Well, from what I have read, a lot of American boys and even famous male movie stars sent themselves to war.
OK - so they were self-sent and not parent-sent. :)

There was a genuine desire among many American males to join the armed forces after Pearl Harbor.

JFK and Richard Nixon were among them.
I was thoroughly and totally opposed to my son going in the military but he was on the cusp of 18 and it was no longer my decision, so I quietly got drunk and kept my mouth shut about it. When he told me he wanted to do something that made a difference, I realized that he had learned something from me after all.

It turned out a positive for him (we were not at war at the time).

We raise our kids as best we can, but at some point we have to allow them the independence we trained them to take. It can be a scary moment.

Back
Top Bottom