• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who scored and who wasted their money on Super Bowl ads

j-mac

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Los Angeles (CNN Business)Crafting memorable Super Bowl advertising remains a formidable challenge, as companies try to navigate the complicated waters of celebrity endorsements, corporate branding, hot-button issues and commercials designed to pitch products.

The takeaway from Sunday, however, was too many sponsors simply trying too hard, with the few witty, surprising and emotional spots genuinely standing out. While it's popular to say "The ads were better than the game," they collectively weren't, even in the midst of a low-scoring affair that didn't produce a touchdown through three quarters.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/03/media/super-bowl-ads-review/index.html

Ok, time to lighten it up in here....Clearly CNN wasn't impressed with the ads last night....While the Daily Caller chose to call out the SJ lecture ads..

[FONT=&quot]Super Bowl advertisers used the massive platform to lecture Americans on a number of topics — from using clean energy and respecting the media to the proper treatment of mermaids in the age of #MeToo.

[/FONT]https://dailycaller.com/2019/02/03/super-bowl-ads-lecture-america/

So, what say you folks? My personal favorite was Stella Artois .... I thought the mix of Sex in the City, with the Big Labowski was genius....

Loved the Stella ad. The big winner tho? Gladys Knight from her strength to stand up to the SJW mob who tried to bully and shame her into not performing, to showing us why she is a national treasure and hitting it out of the ballpark with her performance.

Overall very unmemorable batch of commercials - I guess that fit the theme of the game itself too.

The Michael Buble/Bubbly one was somewhat clever. And I enjoyed the one with all the HOFers chucking around the golden football. But beyond that...meh.

Ok, time to lighten it up in here....Clearly CNN wasn't impressed with the ads last night....While the Daily Caller chose to call out the SJ lecture ads..

So, what say you folks? My personal favorite was Stella Artois .... I thought the mix of Sex in the City, with the Big Labowski was genius....

Most of the ads were so uncompelling, can we say boring?, that after a bit I really didn't pay all that much attention to them so I missed your favorite. As was the game itself pretty unexciting for the most part. The most comments I have seen regarded the halftime show, also rather uncompelling and unexciting from my point of view, but involves question as to why Adam Levine can show his nipples and Janet Jackson couldn't?

Verizon trying to get us to forget they shut off firefighters' cell phones in the midst of a disaster was fun.

I dont think anyone was impressed by any of the ads. I think my favorite was the Audi commercial, but that's about it.

Last edited:
Oh - and I liked the one with all the cars from the various movies - Wal Mart ad.

Whoever came up with "chunky milk" needs an ass kicking

One good one that didn't air in the US was from Unifor directed at GM.

"You forgot our generosity but we won't forget your greed!"

Whoever came up with "chunky milk" needs an ass kicking

I'll second that...The whole room let out a big "EEEEEEEWWWWW!!!" when they were drinking it....

The HEB add was interesting when you consider it was simply getting a cooler full of HEB food was better than nothing.

Loved the Stella ad. The big winner tho? Gladys Knight from her strength to stand up to the SJW mob who tried to bully and shame her into not performing, to showing us why she is a national treasure and hitting it out of the ballpark with her performance.

+1 re: Gladys' performance!

That was pretty good, but I think I missed it last night....

It was pretty early on - might have even been pre-game, or at least in the first tv timeout.

It was pretty early on - might have even been pre-game, or at least in the first tv timeout.

I liked the HOF commercial. Other than that, uninspiring.

The one with all the football stars throwing around the golden football was good.

The Bubly one wasn't half bad. The T Mobile texting ones were kinda funny.

The rest were pretty forgettable.

there was one with horses and windmills that was decent, but i only watched it because of the Bob Dylan tune. i think that it was bud or bud light. the other ones i saw were ok.

I liked the HOF commercial. Other than that, uninspiring.

The medieval festival beer into Game of Thrones was very good for the surprise element. Comedy to tragedy in seconds.

I also like the Microsoft adaptive devices piece - very inspiring.

I honestly fast-forwarded the commercials and half time show. Seems my instincts were correct. :)

Tim-

I think it's over. When Superbowl commercials were first a thing, 40 years ago, it was "cool". But since then the world has changed. People have smart phones and pads for halftime; people have computers for halftime. There's no longer only 4 television stations. The quality of the ads has diminished greatly.

I think it's time to let it go. We're just showing our age. We expect way too much from ads, and we're disappointed every year. Superbowl commercials are no longer a thing.

I took the under. :lol: I wish I had bet more. :lol: Who knew it would be that under. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom