• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who says impeachment inquiry hearings should be closed to the public? Trey Gowdy :)

RaleBulgarian

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Yep, darling of the Republican Party and former Representative, Trey Gowdy.

“ Former Republican House Oversight Committee Chairman Trey Gowdy said Sunday he "100 percent" agrees with Democrats holding closed-door impeachment hearings.

Gowdy, who served from 2011 to 2019 as a powerful South Carolina congressman, touted the role of privacy and due process in House investigations, even if Republicans don't support the potential impeachment of President Donald Trump.

Gowdy's stance is in direct conflict with several of current GOP House members who burst into a closed-door hearing last Wednesday and held press conferences accusing House Democrats of trying to impeach Trump while "hiding in the Capitol basement."

"Do you still believe [private hearings are more constructive?]" Brennan asked Gowdy Sunday morning.

"One hundred percent," he replied. "I have always...you can't pick and choose which aspects of due process you're going to use. It's not just the privacy, I mean the reason we respect executive branch investigations isn't because they're behind closed doors, it's because there are no leaks."

Gowdy criticized the more than 30 Republicans including House Minority Whip Steve Scalise, Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz, and Alabama Rep. Mo Brooks for storming into the private hearings and making electronic recordings of the proceedings public. But Gowdy also criticized the Democrat-led investigation over "selective leaks" of people's depositions and testimony.

"I think if you're going to have private investigations with unlimited time for questioning and cross examining witnesses that's a good thing," he said. "I'm a rule follower, I threw a Republican out of a hearing because he was not a member of the committee."
Former GOP Rep Trey Gowdy '100%' Agrees House Democrats Should Hold Private Impeachment Hearings

If only the remaining active Republican representatives had 1/2 of Gowdy’s integrity.

Impeachment rests with the House as per the Constitution. How it is conducted is up to the House. Was not the same thing with Nixon/Clinton, depositions required by Officials, which were held in closed sessions paet of the initial process?

Last edited:
Yep, darling of the Republican Party and former Representative, Trey Gowdy.

“ Former Republican House Oversight Committee Chairman Trey Gowdy said Sunday he "100 percent" agrees with Democrats holding closed-door impeachment hearings.

Gowdy, who served from 2011 to 2019 as a powerful South Carolina congressman, touted the role of privacy and due process in House investigations, even if Republicans don't support the potential impeachment of President Donald Trump.

Gowdy's stance is in direct conflict with several of current GOP House members who burst into a closed-door hearing last Wednesday and held press conferences accusing House Democrats of trying to impeach Trump while "hiding in the Capitol basement."

"Do you still believe [private hearings are more constructive?]" Brennan asked Gowdy Sunday morning.

"One hundred percent," he replied. "I have always...you can't pick and choose which aspects of due process you're going to use. It's not just the privacy, I mean the reason we respect executive branch investigations isn't because they're behind closed doors, it's because there are no leaks."

Gowdy criticized the more than 30 Republicans including House Minority Whip Steve Scalise, Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz, and Alabama Rep. Mo Brooks for storming into the private hearings and making electronic recordings of the proceedings public. But Gowdy also criticized the Democrat-led investigation over "selective leaks" of people's depositions and testimony.

"I think if you're going to have private investigations with unlimited time for questioning and cross examining witnesses that's a good thing," he said. "I'm a rule follower, I threw a Republican out of a hearing because he was not a member of the committee."
Former GOP Rep Trey Gowdy '100%' Agrees House Democrats Should Hold Private Impeachment Hearings

If only the remaining active Republican representatives had 1/2 of Gowdy’s integrity.

I'm waiting for the citizens of Trump Fan Nation to stop in and declare Gowdy to be a RINO.

I can't wait for Mycroft to come in here and tell us all how Gowdy is a DNC plant, a transgendered deep stater, or a cyborg recreation of the evil Democratic overlords from Nibiru impersonating Gowdy to lend creedence to the Dems.

I'm waiting for the citizens of Trump Fan Nation to stop in and declare Gowdy to be a RINO.

I can't wait for Mycroft to come in here and tell us all how Gowdy is a DNC plant, a transgendered deep stater, or a cyborg recreation of the evil Democratic overlords from Nibiru impersonating Gowdy to lend creedence to the Dems.
Funny, if this was a thread about a former prominent Dem saying that all of the hearings should be public, Trumpsters would’ve been all over it.

Funny, if this was a thread about a former prominent Dem saying that all of the hearings should be public, Trumpsters would’ve been all over it.

Oh, absolutely. Just like if Obama had gone and done what Trump has done he'd have been removed already, bar none.

Back
Top Bottom