• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who owns the shutdown

Who owns the shutdown

• Total voters
Trump said that he would own the shutdown.

But he is a consummate liar. By virtue of this he was saying he was not responsible. Haven't you figured out how this works yet?:lamo

The republicans senate owns it because they are not crazy or disturbed like trump is ... mitch owns this shutdown... we dont need trump to stop the shut down... we need the senate to do it... are there any republicans left that love this country and its people. ohhh the coast guard are our heroes but right now i want a wall so they can suffer Trump does not care about american citizens or this country after all he believes putin over our u.s. intelligence and guess what!!! that aint fake news!!

Honestly?

The GOP.

They should have passed this **** long ago.

But the past is the past.

Now, it's on the Dems

Trump has offered compromise on both amount appropriated and removed the political sloganeering by offering a alternative to The WALL. Allowing for steel fencing much like is currently occupying a lot of real estate.

This is nothing but the Dems trying to fire up their base by opposing Trump on his major campaign promise.

Regardless of what your dog is in this race, you're just plain dishonest if you don't see that Dems are compromising our sovereignty and security for political posturing.

Really! Trumps campaign promise is not even half of what the u.s. citizens wants!!! so why do we, more than 70 percent have to suffer... only 30 percent of the country wants a physical wall..Trumps little base!! by the way when did it become our fault?? yall cudda done this wall money over 18 months ago. is it our fault because we have the house now.. you had complete control of all sections of goverment you did not need us .. and you dam well no we passed the same bill in the house the republicans had ..not one thing different. be a man and take responsibility for the shutdown

Really! Trumps campaign promise is not even half of what the u.s. citizens wants!!! so why do we, more than 70 percent have to suffer... only 30 percent of the country wants a physical wall..Trumps little base!! by the way when did it become our fault?? yall cudda done this wall money over 18 months ago. is it our fault because we have the house now.. you had complete control of all sections of goverment you did not need us .. and you dam well no we passed the same bill in the house the republicans had ..not one thing different. be a man and take responsibility for the shutdown

:yawn:

Last February, Pew reported similar findings: 62 percent of Americans oppose building a wall. Only 35 percent support it.

But are we telling the whole story?

First, it’s worth looking at what Pew asked: “All in all, would you favor or oppose building a wall along the entire border with Mexico?” To me, it’s a confusing question. After all, there already is a wall or fencing along approximately 700 miles of the southern border. It might make more sense to ask, “Would you favor or oppose building a wall along the remaining, unwalled portion of the border with Mexico?”

Second, why ask about something that’s not under consideration: a wall along the “entire” border? If you think President Trump favors such a thing, that, too, might be blamed on confused reporting.

While we’re in the weeds, assuming there’s value to asking a poll question about something that nobody is proposing, there’s additional nuance to consider. Pew ended up with a Democrat-heavy sample: 38 percent Republican/Republican leaning and 52 percent Democrat/Democrat leaning. The 14 percentage point difference means Pew interviewed 38 percent more Democrat thinkers than Republican thinkers. I can’t find any estimate that says the actual U.S. population is politically lopsided along those lines.

https://thehill.com/opinion/immigration/350217-americans-support-a-border-wall-more-than-the-media-wants-to-believe

All things considered, I came up with my own headline that’s more transparent than many of the ones I saw: “In polls with Democrat-heavy sampling, there’s overwhelming opposition to building a wall along the ‘entire’ border; a concept that nobody is, in fact, proposing.”

Re: Who owns the shutdown

ChezC3 says
"The GOP

They should have passed this **** long ago."

:roll:

Yep, it takes two to tangle, and two to solve this thing. That's the way real life works.

Trump was quite passionate in saying he was proud to own the shutdown because of his desire to fulfill a major campaign promise; border barriers, formerly known as his "wall."
The Democrats can end this but they are hoping Trump caves so they can declare victory going into the 2020 election. He won't cave.
I. and many others, have news for the obstructionists aka the resistance. Unless they stop obstructing and start compromising, and give Trump the funds for a physical border enforcement, it's all on them. They will be handing Trump a victory, a second term.

He also made another promise: that Mexico would pay for it. How excited do you think his crowd would have been if he had said that we’d build a wall and American disaster victims would pay for it?

He also made another promise: that Mexico would pay for it. How excited do you think his crowd would have been if he had said that we’d build a wall and American disaster victims would pay for it?

Frankly, I'm sick of hearing MX. will pay for it. Like I said before Trumps doesn't think of the repercussions of his words. Perhaps when he was campaigning and said MX. would pay for it, he never thought he would get elected. When he did get elected, he said MX. would pay indirectly though trade deals. He moved the goal posts...

I can't speak for how others would feel but I wouldn't like it if he used funds meant for American disaster victims.
I've always thought congress should fund anything having to do with border security but getting back to my point, at this point of the shutdown, it's on them to cough up the funds.

Frankly, I'm sick of hearing MX. will pay for it. Like I said before Trumps doesn't think of the repercussions of his words. Perhaps when he was campaigning and said MX. would pay for it, he never thought he would get elected. When he did get elected, he said MX. would pay indirectly though trade deals. He moved the goal posts...

Trump doesn't get to get his wall just because he "doesn't think of the repercussions of his words." Consequences exist, even for stupid and dishonest people. And everybody will continue to hammer home the point that he spent all of 2016 saying Mexico would pay for it, because he did. He will choke on that promise.

I can't speak for how others would feel but I wouldn't like it if he used funds meant for American disaster victims.
I've always thought congress should fund anything having to do with border security but getting back to my point, at this point of the shutdown, it's on them to cough up the funds.

You wouldn't "like it" if he used funds meant for American disaster victims, but you'll shrug and go along with it anyway.

Who owns the shutdown

Trump

Trump/Republicans

Democrats

Trump/Republicans/Democrats

I don't think anyone owns the shutdown per se. Everyone knew long before the shutdown began that Trump said he wasn't going to sign or approve another spending bill without funding for the wall. There was plenty of time for both sides to work out a compromise. Neither choose to do so. Both sides now have become entrench in either all the funding for the wall or no funding at all. No compromise is available at this time that wouldn't look like each side caved into the other. At least to each sides avid supporters, to the very anti and pro Trumpers.

This battle has turned very personal, a battle of ego's. It's not like when our government spends 4 trillion dollars a year, that a battle over 5 billion is worth all the heartaches and problems that the shutdown is occurring. In the end I would wager the shutdown has cost the government much more than just 5 billion. But this is looking at the problem through dollar signs and not ideology, not political partisanship, not being either pro or anti Trump, not being a Republican or a Democrat. Just hard financial facts.

This battle has become more important to attach blame, your OP. Than to solve the problem. Right now neither side is willing to solve the problem without total victory, unconditional surrender. Each side is sticking to their guns and their positions are written in quick drying cement. Right now 39% of Americans state they're for the wall, 46% oppose. Question 18.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/f0al8raalq/econTabReport.pdf

Most to blame for the shutdown, that goes to Trump, 50%, Democrats 32%. Question 35. But if we reword the question to How much do you blame each of the groups listed below for causing the shutdown of the federal government? Democrats in congress, 40% blame them a lot, 21% blame then a little. Total 61%. Republicans in congress, 40% blame them a lot, 35% a little, total 75%. Trump, 56% blame him a lot, 16% a little, total 72%. Questions 34A, B, C.

My bottom line on all of this, it has become more important to attach blame for the shutdown, to make the other side cave 100% than to solve the problem and reopen the government. Neither side in my opinion is taking the damage to this nation and its cost into consideration. This has become nothing more than a knock down, drawn out fight between partisanship, ideology, pro and anti Trumpers. One side or the other will probably score a political victory, but the question will be in the end, was it worth it to the nation as a whole? The damage done may outweigh the price of victory.

Last edited:
Trump doesn't get to get his wall just because he "doesn't think of the repercussions of his words." Consequences exist, even for stupid and dishonest people. And everybody will continue to hammer home the point that he spent all of 2016 saying Mexico would pay for it, because he did. He will choke on that promise.

You wouldn't "like it" if he used funds meant for American disaster victims, but you'll shrug and go along with it anyway.

Unless you're God Almighty, put the crystal ball down.
As for the first part of your post. Meh.

As for the first part of your post. Meh.

It's "meh" only because Trump supporters were in on the con. That Trumps supporters were in on the con doesn't oblige the rest of the country to be okay with the con, which is at least partly responsible for the fact that the majority of the country is against he wall and the shutdown. Lies have consequences.

Unless you're God Almighty, put the crystal ball down.

Not God almighty. I'm just a mega genius with an IQ of six billion.

I don't think anyone owns the shutdown per se. Everyone knew long before the shutdown began that Trump said he wasn't going to sign or approve another spending bill without funding for the wall. There was plenty of time for both sides to work out a compromise. Neither choose to do so. Both sides now have become entrench in either all the funding for the wall or no funding at all. No compromise is available at this time that wouldn't look like each side caved into the other. At least to each sides avid supporters, to the very anti and pro Trumpers.

This battle has turned very personal, a battle of ego's. It's not like when our government spends 4 trillion dollars a year, that a battle over 5 billion is worth all the heartaches and problems that the shutdown is occurring. In the end I would wager the shutdown has cost the government much more than just 5 billion. But this is looking at the problem through dollar signs and not ideology, not political partisanship, not being either pro or anti Trump, not being a Republican or a Democrat. Just hard financial facts.

This battle has become more important to attach blame, your OP. Than to solve the problem. Right now neither side is willing to solve the problem without total victory, unconditional surrender. Each side is sticking to their guns and their positions are written in quick drying cement. Right now 39% of Americans state they're for the wall, 46% oppose. Question 18.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/f0al8raalq/econTabReport.pdf

Most to blame for the shutdown, that goes to Trump, 50%, Democrats 32%. Question 35. But if we reword the question to How much do you blame each of the groups listed below for causing the shutdown of the federal government? Democrats in congress, 40% blame them a lot, 21% blame then a little. Total 61%. Republicans in congress, 40% blame them a lot, 35% a little, total 75%. Trump, 56% blame him a lot, 16% a little, total 72%. Questions 34A, B, C.

My bottom line on all of this, it has become more important to attach blame for the shutdown, to make the other side cave 100% than to solve the problem and reopen the government. Neither side in my opinion is taking the damage to this nation and its cost into consideration. This has become nothing more than a knock down, drawn out fight between partisanship, ideology, pro and anti Trumpers. One side or the other will probably score a political victory, but the question will be in the end, was it worth it to the nation as a whole? The damage done may outweigh the price of victory.

Really no disagreement here. One thing is, no one trusts Trump to sign a deal as he has a past history of rapid changes on policies and agreements.

Question- I was under the impression the deal they agreed to in Dec. did have new wall funding.

Most people don't want the wall. Both houses (and both parties!) sent trump a bill to sign before the handover, when his party had a majority and he still refused to sign it because he and his faction wanted a wall. His job is to mediate and if necessary accept a defeat on what he wants if the will of the people is clearly expressed otherwise. Yet for his own ego he threatened to shut the govt down unless he got his wall (like a big crybaby) and has done just that.

It is the job of the president to do what the nation wants not to bend the nation to his will, like a dictator. It's on Trump, 100%.

Who owns the shutdown

Trump

Trump/Republicans

Democrats

Nancy Patricia Pelosi Speaker of the United States House of Representatives

imhoRoseann:)

Did Lucy take the ball away or did Charlie force her to do it? Trump humpers say its Charlies fault. Adults know Lucy did it.

Trump owns it. He's going to own it until he signs a bill that permanently, until the close of FY 2019, ends it.

Frankly, given Trump's "I'll proudly own the shutdown" remark, it's astounding that anyone can contort their cognition to conjure a way to construe anyone other than Trump as the owner and cause of the shutdown.

53% of the country blames Trump and Republicans for the shutdown while only 29% blame Democrats, which means that a significant percentage of Republicans blames Republicans.

Not that that should be surprising at all, but there it is.

Who owns the shutdown

Trump

Trump/Republicans

Democrats

Trump and the GOP, of course. They're the only ones trying to convince the masses a boondoggle such as a 2000 mile 10' wall can actually get built. It's so obvious.

Trump and the GOP, of course. They're the only ones trying to convince the masses a boondoggle such as a 2000 mile 10' wall can actually get built. It's so obvious.

Thing is I thinks there may be areas where a wall is needed. No I am am not saying hundreds of miles, but certain areas. Low numbers in miles

Thing is I thinks there may be areas where a wall is needed. No I am am not saying hundreds of miles, but certain areas. Low numbers in miles

Well, that's good compromise. I'd be behind doing that, just not a contiguous, 2000 mile, eyesore and maintenance headache you can see from space!

Who owns the shutdown

Trump

Trump/Republicans

Democrats

The one who refuses to sign the bill is the one who bears responsibility for the shutdown. Obama was responsible for the last couple of shutdowns. Donald Trump is responsible for this one.

According to this poll trump and/or the republicans by overwhelming numbers. Fake news!

Dems were for a wall until Trump was for a wall. BTW; those same Dems have nice walls around their properties.

I'm pretty positive that Trump himself was quoted saying that he would own the shutdown. It's his defining moment to live up to his primary campaign promise and so he really has no choice but to live or die by that wall.

Back
Top Bottom