• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who out there is happy that we have a split legislative branch of government?

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I am always happy when one party does not control the House, the Senate and the presidency. Nothing good ever comes from one party controlling all three. How many out there feel as I do and how many want their party to control all three? Just so you know, I was not happy when the Dems controlled all three.

I don’t mind both chambers being controlled by one party but I do prefer that Congress and the Presidency are split.

The more split the government, the better.

I don’t mind both chambers being controlled by one party but I do prefer that Congress and the Presidency are split.

I'm with you on this one, Bob. Seems like more gets done for the betterment of all with this composition.

I don't think Republicans should be in charge of anything until they get their act together. The Democrats could **** up a two-car funeral procession, so I don't worry so much about them.

I am always happy when one party does not control the House, the Senate and the presidency. Nothing good ever comes from one party controlling all three. How many out there feel as I do and how many want their party to control all three? Just so you know, I was not happy when the Dems controlled all three.

It should be just the opposite. Each party believes their party is the good guys so great things should happen every time one party gains control. The real truth is there is only one party owned by the rich and powerful and they are divided into R & D keeping us divided. That way they can control our government and keep us blaming one of the 2 parties for the reason only what the rich and powerful want gets done. Oh they toss us a bone now and then while they eat steak. One day we may wake up and take control of our government. For now we are too stupid and full of hate to see anything.

I don't think Republicans should be in charge of anything until they get their act together. The Democrats could **** up a two-car funeral procession, so I don't worry so much about them.

Heck the Dems would have the "honored guest" in the driver's seat of the first car and Chuck Schumer is the driver's seat of the second. Good luck with that.

They may not realize it but they need Pelosi more than they might know at this point. Just as Chuck Schumer could not carry Mitch McConnell's jock, Kevin McCarthy can't carry Pelosi's pocketbook.

Red:
I most certainly would not say "nothing good" comes of single-party control of the Executive and Legislative branches of the federal government. I'm sure that in the various years when we experienced such control there are laws that were passed and actions undertaken that were good.

See image at the end of this post for some pre-1855 years​

Some examples include:
  • Implementation of the 11th Amendment
  • Establishment of governance for the Mississippi Territory
  • Elements of the first Alien and Sedition Acts
  • Nullification of the Treaty of Alliance
  • Treaty of Amity -- This is wherefrom issues the formal foundation of the US' and Great Britain's "special" relationship.
  • Authorization to restore the Union.
  • Homestead Act of 1862
  • Morrill Land Grant Act of 1862
  • The Civil Rights Act
  • Many things done during FDR's years, not the least of which were the formation of the Social Security program, "New Deal" programs, and the declaration of war on Germany, Japan, Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania and Italy.

I'll leave you to review legislative history in more detail and thereby identify additional undertakings, policies/legislation, appointments, treaties, etc. that came to be during periods in which one party controlled the presidency and congress.

Who out there is happy that we have a split legislative branch of government?

At the moment, I'm glad there is such a "split." In any subsequent period wherein we have a reprobate in the WH, I'll again be glad for a split, as it were.

Attachments

• Branch of Govt Party Affililations.jpg
    Branch of Govt Party Affililations.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Let's be real, that's never going to happen.

Republicans have been the party of power hungry extremists since Nixon, and they've never really looked back. Reagan, Bush, and Dubya were all as corrupt as Nixon, they just never were caught with smoking guns. And don't even get me started about the likes of Gingrich and McConnell.

The GOP has to be burned to the ground, then perhaps a new party can rise from the ashes.

The problem with split control is that nothing gets done. What you need to do is think up a list of things you want done in the nation and try to find the party that is most likely to do that and give them control. I want us to move to a universal healthcare system and to start addressing climate change and these two issues are good for democrats. I also want lower deficits, lower taxes for workers, dramatically reduced regulations, etc, but Republicans aren't getting that done at all.

Heck the Dems would have the "honored guest" in the driver's seat of the first car and Chuck Schumer is the driver's seat of the second. Good luck with that.

They may not realize it but they need Pelosi more than they might know at this point. Just as Chuck Schumer could not carry Mitch McConnell's jock, Kevin McCarthy can't carry Pelosi's pocketbook.

I'll agree to both of those sentiments.

As much as I detest McConnell, he's very good at what he does. Unfortunately, what he does is anathema to a functional government.

The problem with split control is that nothing gets done. What you need to do is think up a list of things you want done in the nation and try to find the party that is most likely to do that and give them control. I want us to move to a universal healthcare system and to start addressing climate change and these two issues are good for democrats. I also want lower deficits, lower taxes for workers, dramatically reduced regulations, etc, but Republicans aren't getting that done at all.

You make it sound like that is a bad thing.

Edit: Also, it seems you have a rather odd contradiction in your policy goals. Universal Healthcare alongside Lower Deficits AND lower taxes for workers? How do you expect that to happen? Might as well add Ferraris and Lamborghinis to the list of things the government can magically give to the citizens.

Last edited:
If legislation was being passed to deal with our deficit,healthcare, and infrastructure, I could care less if it’s one party or split. I’m a pragmatist in support of the bottom line. Right now, we have an intransigent Congress that’s split instead of one under the GOP.

If legislation was being passed to deal with our deficit,healthcare, and infrastructure, I could care less if it’s one party or split. I’m a pragmatist in support of the bottom line. Right now, we have an intransigent Congress that’s split instead of one under the GOP.

Red:
Right now, what we have is GOP House and GOP Senate, both of which are comprised of intransigent Republicans. It's bad enough that you don't realize their intransigence, but insofar as you're ignorant of the GOP's having control of both chambers, I guess I shouldn't be surprised....

Red:
Right now, what we have is GOP House and GOP Senate, both of which are comprised of intransigent Republicans. It's bad enough that you don't realize their intransigence, but insofar as you're ignorant of the GOP's having control of both chambers, I guess I shouldn't be surprised....

What are you talking about?

Have you considered that the root problem could be the concept of one party or the other controlling any branch of government?

I could care less how many ways they are split. What I care about is that they stop the grandstanding for the party's sake, and start performing for the country.
They need to start working for us, together.

Nancy is nothing but a dangling puppet who will block anything at her masters' bidding. If need be, she'll turn off the lights and act like a spoiled brat. Like I said, let them work together for the country, and not against each other for the sake of being in power.

I like divided government. It stops excesses of either a far right or far left agenda. If either party wants to get something accomplished, they must sit down and talk to each other, play a little give and take, compromise and water down things to where we don't get extremism. The problem over the last 10 years or so, one party or the other has been more interested in stopping the other party cold than trying to accomplish anything. This I place blame on both parties congressional leadership. I have a strong feeling just stopping Trump and the GOP from doing anything is all the new Democratic House will do. Actually with the exception of the tax cuts, the Republicans in congress have been successful in stopping any legislation Trump wanted.

I could care less how many ways they are split. What I care about is that they stop the grandstanding for the party's sake, and start performing for the country.
They need to start working for us, together.

Spot on. The tribalism needs to stop.

Nancy is nothing but a dangling puppet who will block anything at her masters' bidding. If need be, she'll turn off the lights and act like a spoiled brat. Like I said, let them work together for the country, and not against each other for the sake of being in power.

The dems will push for legislation that is supportive of the bulk of the American people once they can push anything out of the House. But until Trump is gone and the damage he does to this country every day dispensed with there is simply no way to ignore the need to punch him in the mouth every day and you need a Pelosi for that. The committee chairs can push Legislation through Committee and to the floor. But you need a real professional politician that can balance out the various committee responsibilities such that Legislation is not lost in the shuffle while punching Bozo the President in the face every day.

The Dem whip can't do it. He has always played second fiddle. The Committee Ranking Members don't want any part of it as they are anxious to gain access to the Chairs of their various committees. None of these new young pups entering the Congress have a clue how anything works. Glad they are going there but only because there are some people around that know how to navigate Penn Av and know how to balance out priorities in a governmental environment.

If anything, the GOP bench strength is even worse. How do you think they ended up with the hideous Paul Ryan as Speaker. They even had to beg him to take the job. McCarthy is a bad joke. Jim Jorden, Meadows...raving lunatics. Nunez....PLEASE!

Me. I am. I've always said the best times in DC in my lifetime were when Reagan was POTUS and worked with the Democrats, and when Clinton was POTUS and worked with the Republicans. And both houses of Congress were willing to work with said Presidents, too.

Checks and balances and not a one-party rule are the bedrocks of this country.

Red:
Blue:
I didn't stutter.
  • The GOP members of the 115th Congress, the one we have right now, are intransigent.
  • You have ignored that right now, the GOP controls both chambers.
  • Insofar as you are ignorant of the fact that the 115th Congress is GOP-controlled, something that's blatantly obvious, I shouldn't be surprised that you appear not to recognize something more subtle, in this case, the verisimility of their intransigence.

Blue:
I didn't stutter.
  • The GOP members of the 115th Congress, the one we have right now, are intransigent.
  • You have ignored that right now, the GOP controls both chambers.
  • Insofar as you are ignorant of the fact that the 115th Congress is GOP-controlled, something that's blatantly obvious, I shouldn't be surprised that you appear not to recognize something more subtle, in this case, the verisimility of their intransigence.

I’m not ignorant about anything here. Stop with the harangue, it’s a boorish response.

I said the current Congress is intransigent. Now, that the Congress is split between the two parties. It will continue to be intransigent because legislation is not going to pass into law due to partisan politics. Try asking for clarification before creating a false narrative.

Last edited:

Our system was designed to have split power so bi-partisan governing and legislation can be facilitated. We've gone way too tribal to expect what should be a healthy, robust system to work. I'm feeling rather pessimistic based on what I view as unethical and immoral behavior, which is all too pervasive.

The only way to move forward and fix a lot of what's wrong in our government today is TERM LIMITS.

Back
Top Bottom