• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who must go to hell?

Who must go to hell?

• nobody

• nearly nobody

• everybody

• nearly everybody

• about half of mankind

• some other answer

• I do not know really

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Who must go to hell?

I think we need an answer to this question

What Wiki says about hell:

In religion and folklore, Hell is an afterlife location in which evil souls are subjected to punitive suffering, often torture, as eternal punishment after death. Religions with a linear divine history often depict hells as eternal destinations, the biggest examples of which are Christianity and Islam, whereas religions with reincarnation usually depict a hell as an intermediary period between incarnations, as is the case in the dharmic religions. Religions typically locate hell in another dimension or under Earth's surface. Other afterlife destinations include Heaven, Paradise, Purgatory, Limbo, and the underworld.

Other religions, which do not conceive of the afterlife as a place of punishment or reward, merely describe an abode of the dead, the grave, a neutral place that is located under the surface of Earth (for example, see Kur, Hades, and Sheol). Such places are sometimes equated with the English word hell, though a more correct translation would be "underworld" or "world of the dead". The ancient Mesopotamian, Greek, Roman, and Finnic religions include entrances to the underworld from the land of the living.

For extremely pious Bible Christians the answer is simple:
Everybody - except those pious Bible Christians.
Or am I mistaken?

So far 2 out of 2 say: NOBODY!

Saint Augustinus said: Nearly everybody.
Or didn't he?

Who must go to hell?

The whole idea of who goes to hell is arbitrary. Some believe all who fail to follow a specific dogma are doomed to it. Others say hell is reserved for people like Hitler and Stalin or John Wayne Gacy; the worst of the worst, if you will.

IMO, both are wrong. That's not to say brutal dictators and serial killer, sexual sadists are not evil. They certainly are, but only in our eyes. Equally brutal leaders are often viewed as heroes. And, god only knows what makes the sexual sadist tick...and, he's kind of responsible for both the killer and the dictator anyway...assuming you believe god is all knowing and all powerful, which I do not.

Anyone who isn't a christian. If we are to believe the bible, Ghandi will reside in hell for all eternity. If Hitler repented and accepted christ before killing himself, he will go to heaven.

Who must go to hell?

It is simple really, those who claim to be exclusively correct on religion are the ones who ultimately determine "who must go to hell."

We are talking about the application of an idea but in the hands of people, all with their own motivations and flaws, who stand up and start talking about what it takes to gain entry to heaven or end up with banishment to the world's longest time out session.

Perhaps the most eloquent proof we have of the coercive and threatening nature of religion.

Anyone who isn't a christian. If we are to believe the bible, Ghandi will reside in hell for all eternity. If Hitler repented and accepted christ before killing himself, he will go to heaven.
Which, of course, is absurd.

It is simple really, those who claim to be exclusively correct on religion are the ones who ultimately determine "who must go to hell."

We are talking about the application of an idea but in the hands of people, all with their own motivations and flaws, who stand up and start talking about what it takes to gain entry to heaven or end up with banishment to the world's longest time out session.

Perhaps the most eloquent proof we have of the coercive and threatening nature of religion.
And, all the proof we need to know that gods and hells and heavens are a human construct and not something sent down from above.

Which, of course, is absurd.

But why? Heaven and hell has nothing to do with being good or bad.

Obviously it's absurd in that God doesn't exist, but it's not absurd in relation to being a good person.

But why? Heaven and hell has nothing to do with being good or bad.

Obviously it's absurd in that God doesn't exist, but it's not absurd in relation to being a good person.
Being a good person should be all that matters. Buying this or that religious dogma should not.

Are you sure?

• Total voters 3
  • That's not much

Being a good person should be all that matters. Buying this or that religious dogma should not.
According to Christianity, it is impossible to be good though, in that religion, we are all deeply and fundamentally broken and there is nothing we can do about it.

According to Christianity, it is impossible to be good though, in that religion, we are all deeply and fundamentally broken and there is nothing we can do about it.
Calvin said so.
Sensible Christians don't say so.

If you're an atheist, concern about anything after death is irrational.

You might as well say that ginger hair should be all that matters. You are still thinking about this in a good v bad context, but it literally has nothing to do with being good or bad. Heaven is a place where Christians go. If you're not a christian you don't go to heaven. Whether you are a good person is irrelevant.

You might as well say that ginger hair should be all that matters. You are still thinking about this in a good v bad context, but it literally has nothing to do with being good or bad. Heaven is a place where Christians go. If you're not a christian you don't go to heaven. Whether you are a good person is irrelevant.
There is no heaven.

Calvin said so.
Sensible Christians don't say so.
I am not a Calvinist, but I agree with him on this point. I just don't worry about it. I consider "sin" to simply be a concept to explain human nature, the parts we don't like. The aggression, the selfishness, the possessiveness. All the traits that make us not very nice. We've all got them. The trick is how we channel them.

Back
Top Bottom