• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Who makes the WORST New Cars?

Who makes the WORST New Cars?

• Chevrolet

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Chrysler

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Ford

• KIA

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Hyundai

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • VW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Toyota

• Honda

• Nissan

• Other

• Total voters
26 X World Champs said:
Please tell us why you choose the carmaker that you chose as the very worst?

My vote is for Chevrolet, they're awful. Chrysler's a close second....
Easily Chrysler. I think my favorite horror story is that of my dad's Duster. He bought it new. He drove it for a year (just long enough for the warranty to expire) and then the engine literally fell out of the bottom of the car.

26 X World Champs said:
Please tell us why you choose the carmaker that you chose as the very worst?

My vote is for Chevrolet, they're awful. Chrysler's a close second....

You asked us to say WHY...how about you sharing with us WHY you chose Chevrolet...?

FORD...my reasoning has more to do with customer service than the actual vehicle's performance. Their customer service was so bad that I will never buy another Ford for as long as I live (not even a used one).

I have owned several different makes of cars; foreign & domestic; my experience tells me that the things that go wrong with most vehicles are the electronic gadgets. Whether it be a switch or a sensor; it always seems to be that part made in China or Indonesia. Today, so many vehicles are made up of multiple suppliers; foreign & domestic. I suppose it's the engineering we're buying & not the manufacturer. Even at that; many of the auto makers work together.

I never bought a car yet since I am 16 but I do believe Japanese cars like Mitsubishi suck because they loss the value quick, compare to American cars. European cars are really for the old and high class when it comes down to Mercedi, or audi acura etc etc... But a racer like me American muscle.

Shadowlands said:
I never bought a car yet since I am 16 but I do believe Japanese cars like Mitsubishi suck because they loss the value quick, compare to American cars. European cars are really for the old and high class when it comes down to Mercedi, or audi acura etc etc... But a racer like me American muscle.
Sincerely, with all due respect, you're 100% wrong.

Japanese cars hold their value MUCH better than American cars, ALWAYS, no exceptions.

BTW - Acura is a Japanese car brand, made by Honda.

Arthur Fonzarelli said:
You asked us to say WHY...how about you sharing with us WHY you chose Chevrolet...?
Consumer Reports rates them the worst. They cab;t even make seat belts that are comfortable. The quality of the materials, the paint, engine et al are truly feeble.

26 X World Champs said:

Japanese cars hold their value MUCH better than American cars, ALWAYS, no exceptions.

A 1968 Chevy Camaro in mint condition sells for about $10,000. In junk condition it will still sell for about $2500.

A 1968 of any Japanese car is simply scrap.

Shadowlands said:
Gotta love the American muscle. Chevy SS 454.

26 X World Champs said:

I do not know if I agree with this. American cars are always the classics that most people want and dream about rebuilding. American cars from the 50's are still in demand. I have never heard of an old Japanese car in demand.

I have so far owned a VW Fox, and now a Saturn SL1. The Fox stayed with me for almost 11 years. The engine was unstoppable and I never had any problems with it. I did have problems with just about everything else on it. Of course, I owned it brand new when I was 19 years old and knew nothing about taking care of cars. That may be why it fell apart. Considering that, it was a very good car.

The Saturn has cost me more money in repairs in the 5 years I have owned it then the Fox did in the same time frame.

Arthur Fonzarelli said:
A 1968 Chevy Camaro in mint condition sells for about $10,000. In junk condition it will still sell for about $2500.

That says nothing about the trends today, as far as reliability, ability to hold value, etc. It just says that, when it comes to classic cars, those who like to rebuild are into Camaros.

Just thought I'd add that I read Lexus (a Toyota company) has the best ratings as far as dependibility.

KansasMeg said:
That says nothing about the trends today, as far as reliability, ability to hold value, etc. It just says that, when it comes to classic cars, those who like to rebuild are into Camaros.

Just thought I'd add that I read Lexus (a Toyota company) has the best ratings as far as dependibility.

Trends today? You can't really talk about cars holding their value on such a limited time frame as a couple of years. Try decades. Same could be said for motorcycles. My buddy has a 1949 pan head (Harley). Name a Jap bike that could last that long.

Arthur Fonzarelli said:

Now I know you're smarter than this! C'mon Fonz, we're not talking about a collectible car, we're talking about regular cars.

Why would you make such a ridiculous comparison?

Tell me what a 2000 Toyota Camry is worth vs. a 2000 Ford Taurus?

Arthur Fonzarelli said:

American cars may hold their long term value better but they also require much more work while you own it then Japanese cars do. Besides European cars hold their value better than any American car ever could.

Arthur Fonzarelli said:
Trends today? You can't really talk about cars holding their value on such a limited time frame as a couple of years. Try decades. Same could be said for motorcycles. My buddy has a 1949 pan head (Harley). Name a Jap bike that could last that long.

This is not about collectibles, isn't that obvious? This is simple, but let me explain. We are comparing the resale value of regular cars that are sold by their original owner, comparing the % off the regular price between brands, that's it.

American cars suck, let's be honest about this. All you have to do is pick the April issue of Consumer Reports any year in the last 20 and you can compare the cars by brand that CU has "checked" as recommended vs. the cars by brand that are not recommended. It's a slaughter, American cars are like 2003 Detroit Tigers = The Biggest Losers in their league.

alex said:
I do not know if I agree with this. American cars are always the classics that most people want and dream about rebuilding. American cars from the 50's are still in demand. I have never heard of an old Japanese car in demand.
Try to find a Datsun 240Z and see what it'll cost you? But this is not about classics, it's about regular car when you sell them or trade them in.
alex said:
I have so far owned a VW Fox, and now a Saturn SL1. The Fox stayed with me for almost 11 years. The engine was unstoppable and I never had any problems with it. I did have problems with just about everything else on it. Of course, I owned it brand new when I was 19 years old and knew nothing about taking care of cars. That may be why it fell apart. Considering that, it was a very good car.

The Saturn has cost me more money in repairs in the 5 years I have owned it then the Fox did in the same time frame.
I think you're confused? The Saturn is an American car and the VW is a German car so how come you disagree with that the American car is worse than anything else?

26 X are you a "Car Guy" Like me! We may actually relate at something! I love cars, and get "Car and Driver" every month.

About cars, some are better quality than others. In the Auto Market so far from what I have seen:

Mitsubishi: Soon to release the New "Eclipse"!
Chevrolet: Makes most of their profit off Trucks, you will see mostly improvements to Trucks and SUV's from this company.
Ford: Chevrolet Rival, Sells "F-series" Trucks, and "Mustangs" Very well!
Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge (One company): "Does that thing gotta Hemi!" is boosting sells, for the Chrysler corporation.
Saturn: (GM owned) Durable cars, but cheep on tag.
Pontiac: Is currently bouncing back into the market releasing the New "GTO", "G6", and the very anticipated "Solstice" is soon to be released.
Kia: (Korean Company) cheapest of all cars, and one of the cars that I know of have failed the "Front crash test" 2 years in a row, so stay away from this brand, unless you like your wheels as cheap as they get.

And you wonder why Im a "Car Guy?" Thanks for the subject 26 X. I hope we can solve our differences in a non-Flaming manner! Peace :mrgreen:

Last edited:
26 X World Champs said:
Consumer Reports rates them the worst. They cab;t even make seat belts that are comfortable. The quality of the materials, the paint, engine et al are truly feeble.

True signs of a "Ford Enthusiest". You also failed to mention Consumer Reports, reported that Dell has the worst PC's, yet they sell more than any Computer Company world wide. Consumer Reports can shove it where the sun don't shine, but hey thats just me! :rofl

stsburns said:
26 X are you a "Car Guy" Like me! We may actually relate at something! I love cars, and get "Car and Driver" every month.
I do like cars, a lot. I can't afford German cars, but I can afford Japanese cards and for me, for the money, for the quality, for the reliability, for the resale value they're the best.

I've owned Toyotas and Hondas and prefer Toyotas. I look at this way, you know if you buy any Toyota you're getting an excellent car. All you have to do is look at Consumer Reports and you'll see almost every Toyota is "recommended".

I also think the Japanese & German carmakers are smarter, especially about the little things. The way the dashboards are laid out, the gizmos that come in cars, the placement of the cupholders, etc.

A perfect example? Every Toyota comes with this feature. If you leave your headlights on they turn off automatically when the driver's door is opened. It's impossible to leave your lights on, and this is in every model. It's been in every Toyota model for more than 20 years yet no American car comes with this feature (excluding the higher end models that have those timers). Why is that? Is this some type of secret Toyota technology?

26 X World Champs said:
This is not about collectibles, isn't that obvious? This is simple, but let me explain. We are comparing the resale value of regular cars that are sold by their original owner, comparing the % off the regular price between brands, that's it.

American cars suck, let's be honest about this. All you have to do is pick the April issue of Consumer Reports any year in the last 20 and you can compare the cars by brand that CU has "checked" as recommended vs. the cars by brand that are not recommended. It's a slaughter, American cars are like 2003 Detroit Tigers = The Biggest Losers in their league.

Pick up a copy of any "auto trader" magazine & see what's selling & for what. Also note what newer cars are being unloaded to another sucker. I think you'll find the results interesting.

American cars are poorly made, poorly engineered, and use crap quality products. i love how everyone defends domestic cars by saying "dude, look at a 69 SS Camaro, it sells for 15k". maybe because in 1969 domestics had a stronghold on the US car market and international car companies hadnt yet developed into what GM or Ford had.

now look at today, domestic companies are all hitting record lows. why do you think GM is having this "Employee Discount for Everyone" sale? because they cant compete with Japanese and European companies. no matter how you look at it, foreign cars are better engineered in every way. go drive a $80k Cadillac STS, then get in a $50k Audi A6...theres no comparison.

ive owned everything, a BMW M3, 66 VW Type 1, Honda Accord, Jeep Rubicon, and now an 04 Chevy Tahoe. id jump off a bridge to have my M3 back, even when it was made in 1997, it was so far ahead of any domestics being built today. its funny how i gripe about domestics when i just bought one but i needed an SUV and imo, thats where Chevy/GMC shines.

Last edited:
26 X World Champs said:

I was just stating on what I hear. I wasn't 100% sure on that.

I honestly can't see how anyone wouldn't select kia. You get what you pay for when you buy a brand new car for under 10 grand. I have heard that you really use that 10 year warrenty.

Burnasty said:
I honestly can't see how anyone wouldn't select kia. You get what you pay for when you buy a brand new car for under 10 grand. I have heard that you really use that 10 year warrenty.

I think for me (who chose Cyrsler) it was a matter of money. Yes, you pay under 10 grand you expect crap. When you pay real money, and get the same crap, that's when there's a problem. And most Crysler dealers I've looked into only allow a one year warranty on their cars. That's bogus.

Back
Top Bottom