• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who made you?

Logicman believes in a spiteful, hateful, vengeful god.

He's going to be so totally disappointed. :mrgreen:

Or perhaps one day he will simply cease to exist, and will never know the difference.

OM

It's not just the Apostle John who says unbelievers will be lost, but Jesus also (John 3:36, 14:6, etc.).

Ah yes, words attributed to Yehoshua, penned by unknown authors.

OM

Or perhaps one day he will simply cease to exist, and will never know the difference.

OM

If he can remember what it was like before he was born then it will feel exactly the same when he's dead.

Unknown to you, but known to the diligent in their studies.

More like instructed on what to believe. I tend to avoid dogma, in favor of broader context.

OM

More like instructed on what to believe. I tend to avoid dogma, in favor of broader context.

Nope.

Listen, there's numerous early church father affirmations on who wrote the Gospels and epistles. That's a heck of a lot more than you have to the contrary.

The preponderance of the evidence is not on your side.

Don't put it on me. The scriptures themselves condemn unbelievers.

Your best bet is to come out of the closet of unbelief and receive Christ before you're lost.

If there was a god that wanted me to believe, that god would have infinite ability and access to my heart and mind.

There is no god. There will be no biblical revelations. There is no heaven. There is no hell. There is no "lake of fire".

The only life you have is the one you live now. Nothing after. Just now.

If I'm wrong, I won't be "punished for all eternity" for thinking otherwise.
If I'm wrong, it's god's fault I'm wrong.
So the only being deserving of punishment would be god.

If there was a god that wanted me to believe, that god would have infinite ability and access to my heart and mind.

There is no god. There will be no biblical revelations. There is no heaven. There is no hell. There is no "lake of fire".

You arrived at your opinions because you took in information and processed it and came to those conclusions. The Universe didn't try to stop you and prevent your disbelief. So, in your opinion, the Universe has to be dead and mindless. Because if it were alive and intelligent, and if it cared, it would control your experiences and your thoughts. The Universe would have to be totalitarian for you to believe it is intelligent.

Others would say that the Universe allows us to experience, think and learn. Even that we are here in order to experience, think and learn.

Nope.

Listen, there's numerous early church father affirmations on who wrote the Gospels and epistles. That's a heck of a lot more than you have to the contrary.

Only by weighing "preponderance" with 2 millennia worth of dogma. Remove the dogma, and all you're left with is context.

OM

You arrived at your opinions because you took in information and processed it and came to those conclusions. The Universe didn't try to stop you and prevent your disbelief. So, in your opinion, the Universe has to be dead and mindless. Because if it were alive and intelligent, and if it cared, it would control your experiences and your thoughts. The Universe would have to be totalitarian for you to believe it is intelligent.

Others would say that the Universe allows us to experience, think and learn. Even that we are here in order to experience, think and learn.

You believe the "universe" has a mind and is alive?

Space is alive?

You believe the "universe" has a mind and is alive?

Space is alive?

Nobody knows for certain whether or not there is an intelligence behind this. Maybe it's not in terms which we comprehend - which would make it kind of ironic.

OM

Nope.

Nonsense. The preponderance of evidence shows that for millennia man existed without god. Through the baleful fires of near extinction, global pandemics, meteor impacts, a harsh and hostile environment anathema to life in many ways. For hundreds of thousands of years, God and Heaven sit idle, watching their little fairy tale play out, but suddenly decide, 2000 years ago, to finally intervene, and to illiterate barbarians in barren middle east?

That's what you expect me to believe?

There are literal hundreds of thousands of years -without- your god.

The evidence, sir, does not sit in your iron age war god's "book."

You haven't done your homework on the Gospels and New Testament.

Here's some recommending reading for you:

"The Historical Jesus," by scholar Dr. Gary Habermas;
"New Evidence that Demands a Verdict," by former skeptic Josh McDowell;
"Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics," by Dr. Norman Geisler;
"The Case for Christ," by Lee Strobel," and
"The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus," by Dr, Gary Habermas.

Nonsense. The preponderance of evidence shows that for millennia man existed without god.

The Bible refutes that.

Nobody knows for certain whether or not there is an intelligence behind this. Maybe it's not in terms which we comprehend - which would make it kind of ironic.

OM

In all of space, in some other galaxy, on some other planet I have no doubt there's probably intelligent life the likes of which we'll never understand.

I'm open to there possibly being multiple universes. Non-carbon based life-forms. All of that.

I'm going to need a crap-ton of convincing that the actual universe itself is alive, and has a mind.

The Bible refutes that.

The bible is a book. Written by a collection of men.

And, it is not "evidence" of anything beyond our carnal desire and selfish want to live longer than we should, thus the history of humankind being replete with beliefs and traditions that exculpate our moral responsibility to recognize the impermanence of our lives.

The bible is a book, sir. It is not a genealogical record. It is not an archeological dig site. It is a book that does not predate a PLETHORA of other religious belief systems, which, if taken by your unscrupulous standard of "evidence" means it has even less standing than things like Buddhism, or the articles of Confucius.

**** the gospels and the New Testament.

Those things mean nothing.

The odds of the Bible being complete nonsense are pretty much about on the same level as the odds of Lord Of The Rings being historically accurate truth.

Interesting that you would cite renowned Christian apologists as somehow offering "proof" of your assertions. Confirmation bias is not your friend.

OM

**** the gospels and the New Testament.

Those things mean nothing.

The odds of the Bible being complete nonsense are pretty much about on the same level as the odds of Lord Of The Rings being historically accurate truth.

If these folks are so serious, I wonder why they are not slitting their own throats for shaving incorrectly.

OM
Why would there have to be an intelligence behind it?

Nonsense. The preponderance of evidence shows that for millennia man existed without god. Through the baleful fires of near extinction, global pandemics, meteor impacts, a harsh and hostile environment anathema to life in many ways. For hundreds of thousands of years, God and Heaven sit idle, watching their little fairy tale play out, but suddenly decide, 2000 years ago, to finally intervene, and to illiterate barbarians in barren middle east?

That's what you expect me to believe?

Every human society had gods. There is nothing unique about Christianity. It became extremely popular because a Roman emperor decided Christ would help him win wars, and then Rome forced Christianity on Europe, and then Europe became powerful. And here we are.

It's so easy for atheists to argue against dogmatic versions of Christianity. I almost never see them argue against more reasonable religious beliefs.

In all of space, in some other galaxy, on some other planet I have no doubt there's probably intelligent life the likes of which we'll never understand.

I'm open to there possibly being multiple universes. Non-carbon based life-forms. All of that.

I'm going to need a crap-ton of convincing that the actual universe itself is alive, and has a mind.

That bunch of neurons inside your skull is alive and thinks. Yet to you it is impossible for anything else except brains to be alive and capable of thinking.

Back
Top Bottom