• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who likes Spätzle or Knöpfle or Nokedli, Csipetke, Galuska or other little sparrows?

Love Spätzle , but dang, the mouth waters for some Balkan cuisine. I remember being invited to a lady's home for some homemade food. She taught me something called Ćevapi. Oh my, just try it.
I've made cevapi and lepinja twice after I first had it at a restaurant on the east side of Cleveland. It's quite easy to make. I want to try Burek.

I'm making warm german potato salad and he'll light the grill for dinner. My dressing has finely diced onion and celery and then I use the bacon fat with cider vinegar, dijon mustard, and a beaten egg to thicken it. The potatoes are boiled and peeled but not yet sliced.

Last edited:
I've made cevapi and lepinja twice after I first had it at a restaurant on the east side of Cleveland. It's quite easy to make. I want to try Burek.

I'm making warm german potato salad and he'll light the grill for dinner. My dressing has finely diced onion and celery and then I use the bacon fat with cider vinegar, dijon mustard, and a beaten egg to thicken it. The potatoes are boiled and peeled but not yet sliced.
I'll have a small plate, please!

I'll have a small plate, please!
There is more than a quart of potato salad leftover. It was really good and I had to be very conscious not to overeat and look like a pig.

This is as close of a recipe as I have found. I only make it a few times a year because of the work involved.

There is more than a quart of potato salad leftover. It was really good and I had to be very conscious not to overeat and look like a pig.

This is as close of a recipe as I have found. I only make it a few times a year because of the work involved.

We are due for some potato salad tomorrow, got most of the fixins. Not sure how it will be without the bacon, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

We are due for some potato salad tomorrow, got most of the fixins. Not sure how it will be without the bacon, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
I just bought 2 lbs of bacon because it's on sale and bacon is a staple of my cooking. 90% of my family recipes start with the line, "render bacon, sweat onions( and often celery) in bacon fat." I don't remember the last time that I cooked bacon for breakfast or even as a garnish for a burger.

I just bought 2 lbs of bacon because it's on sale and bacon is a staple of my cooking. 90% of my family recipes start with the line, "render bacon, sweat onions( and often celery) in bacon fat." I don't remember the last time that I cooked bacon for breakfast or even as a garnish for a burger.
We are vegetarians. I have found that a bit of extra salt and a tad of liquid smoke mimics the taste of bacon. I will try it with your recipe.

May I ask again:
Who likes Spätzle, a kind of German noodles or dumplings?

Here is some info about it:

More:

I made spaetzel on Saturday for News Year's day, with roast pork and kraut.

I love Spatzle. My stepmother got my grandmothers Spatzle press when she passed 25 years ago. Patiently waiting for it.

Peirogies were just the tip of the iceberg. We were hardcore, with grandparents and one parent from the old country! So much good stuff, but trust me, some of the old country stuff is pretty disgusting. Lard, rather than butter, on your rye bread? Yep. And many fermented things that seemed more fermented 'wrong', than 'right'. At least to my palate.

Awesome beers though, and pretty good vodka . . .
But did your mother pour milk over rye bread and let it sit on top on the fridge overnight to curdle?

I like Spatzle. Used to make it a lot. At first I used colander and a rubber spatula to make it. then a potato ricer. I eventually got a regular spatzle maker from Amazon.

Here is the recipe I would use. Its from a episode where he makes a Mushroom and mustard Spatzle.
1 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground pepper

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

2 large eggs

1/4 cup milk

3 tablespoons unsalted butter

I like Spatzle. Used to make it a lot. At first I used colander and a rubber spatula to make it. then a potato ricer. I eventually got a regular spatzle maker from Amazon.

Here is the recipe I would use. Its from a episode where he makes a Mushroom and mustard Spatzle.
1 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground pepper

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

2 large eggs

1/4 cup milk

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
I have the sliding spaetzle maker, but for only 2 people I use a rubber spatula and a large slotted serving spoon.

But did your mother pour milk over rye bread and let it sit on top on the fridge overnight to curdle?

No! She was Italian! :p

But, my Dad didn't do it - either!

However, I do recall my Busia doing that! Along with eating all kinds of seemingly spoiled, rotting, and fermenting stuff!

And then, they went mushroom hunting! Culminating in making mushroom soup! No way was I going to eat something they found randomly growing on some rural public land!

No! She was Italian! :p

But, my Dad didn't do it - either!

However, I do recall my Busia doing that! Along with eating all kinds of seemingly spoiled, rotting, and fermenting stuff!

And then, they went mushroom hunting! Culminating in making mushroom soup! No way was I going to eat something they found randomly growing on some rural public land!
I love morels but I have an older experienced friend who checks them before I eat what I find. I have never been lucky enough to find a porcini but I know that it's possible.

I love morels but I have an older experienced friend who checks them before I eat what I find. I have never been lucky enough to find a porcini but I know that it's possible.

Better you, than I!

My grandfather used to put a silver dollar halfway into the soup, and hold it there for awhile, then after pulling it out he claimed if the 'soup' half is untarnished, the mushrooms are 'safe!

No thanks!

No bowl of soup is worth the risk of illness or death.

I guess just like with pandemic, we all have our own personal risk accommodation profiles.

Better you, than I!

My grandfather used to put a silver dollar halfway into the soup, and hold it there for awhile, then after pulling it out he claimed if the 'soup' half is untarnished, the mushrooms are 'safe!

No thanks!

I guess just like with pandemic, we all have our own personal risk accommodation profiles.
My father and grandfather hunted morels so I learned from them. I don't trust myself fully, so I have an older friend who grew up on a farm and has a degree in botany check them before I eat them. I would never eat them if I didn't have someone who was an expert.

No thanks!

Interesting test!

Back
Top Bottom