• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who likes Spätzle or Knöpfle or Nokedli, Csipetke, Galuska or other little sparrows?

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Who likes Spätzle or Knöpfle or Nokedli, Csipetke, Galuska or other little sparrows?

That's what I am talking about:

Spätzle is the Swabian diminutive of Spatz, thus literally "little sparrow". They are also known as Knöpfle (diminutive of button), also Spätzli or Chnöpfli in Switzerland or Hungarian Nokedli, Csipetke, Galuska or Slovak Halušky or Slovenian Vaseršpacli or vodni žličniki.

Before the use of mechanical devices, the pasta was shaped by hand or with a spoon and the results resembled Spatzen (plural of Spatz, meaning sparrows, sparrow is Spatz or Sperling in German; Spätzle is the diminutive of Spatz, unchanged in plural).

Knöpfle means "small buttons" and describes the compact, round form of the pasta. In everyday language usage, the two names refer to the same product made from the same dough and are interchangeable.[1] There is no clear distinction between the way the two names are used and usage varies from one region to another.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spätzle

Who knows those and likes those?
I do.

And they are at home in our region as well. :)

I love Spätzle. When I go to a German restaurant, I always look for them on the menu.

When I go to a German restaurant, I always look for them on the menu.
And how often do you find them there?
Do you find them in German restaurants in the US?
And have you found them in North Germany as well?

I do.

My grandmother was from Swabia so spaetzle or nifflies as she called them were a staple, she made them at least twice a week.

The dish has so many different ways you can go with it though. Hunter's gravy, mushroom gravy, crispy onions, plain ole butter, stewed tomatoes or tomato gravy, bacon and leavings, vegetables of any sort but matched in size to the dumplings is best, and when leftover time is minimal as many Germans would fry them up with eggs in the morning.

Its one of my absolute favorite things in the world. Along with Vernor's, another family thing because it used to be bottled only in Michigan and I have tons of family in Michigan. It used to be a holiday tradition that any visiting family takes home some Vernor's.

My grandmother was from Swabia so spaetzle or nifflies as she called them were a staple, she made them at least twice a week.
That's really interessting!
I did not know the term "Nifflies" - so I have learned something here!

Nifflies​

Nifflies, otherwise known Spaetzle, are German-style egg noodle dumplings. And they're awesome. If you're not into the whole pork-roast-sauerkraut thing, these are delicious with a pat of butter…

Things is its easy on a culinary level to make: semolina flour, eggs, and water, with whatever spice variations you care for, but its work to clean up after! Hint: cold water works best so long as the stuff hasn't dried out on the bowl or utensils you use to make it.

That's really interessting!
I did not know the term "Nifflies" - so I have learned something here!

One of the best meals I ever had was beer braised chicken thighs on the bone, sweet and sour sauerkraut (tiny sliced apples in the cabbage), pumpernickel spaetzle with mushroom gravy and a big ole mug of Warsteiner golden pilsner---ON TAP no less.

Dressel's Public House in St Louis has some of the best food and pairings, once Covid has really died down, I need to get back there!

I do.

Got Eastern Euro blood on one side, and they made spatzle all the time (under different names). Also, made Kluski noodles! (Polish)

Spatzle is still available in many American German restaurants, but unfortunately the number of German restaurants is decreasing. I live in a very large city, so we have at least a dozen or more still in business. But, there used to be a great many more.

1622050337228.jpeg

And how often do you find them there?
Do you find them in German restaurants in the US?
And have you found them in North Germany as well?
Most German restaurants in the US will have them.
I've had wonderful Spätzle in Germany, but I don't remember where in Germany it was.

Got Eastern Euro blood on one side, and they made spatzle all the time (under different names). Also, made Kluski noodles! (Polish)

Spatzle is still available in many American German restaurants, but unfortunately the number of German restaurants is decreasing. I live in a very large city, so we have at least a dozen or more still in business. But, there used to be a great many more.

View attachment 67334946

Polish, eh? How about peirogies?

Polish, eh? How about peirogies?
Peirogies were just the tip of the iceberg. We were hardcore, with grandparents and one parent from the old country! So much good stuff, but trust me, some of the old country stuff is pretty disgusting. Lard, rather than butter, on your rye bread? Yep. And many fermented things that seemed more fermented 'wrong', than 'right'. At least to my palate.

Awesome beers though, and pretty good vodka . . .

I've had wonderful Spätzle in Germany, but I don't remember where in Germany it was.

Probably either in the former Grand Duchy of Baden or in the former Kingdom of Württemberg :)

Every country has its own cuisine, and every childhood its own flavour. Whenever we went to Grandma’s house as children, we would have Spätzle; soft noodles, fried in butter and well salted, served with a beautifully red tomato sauce which ended up all over our faces. She still makes it for us nowadays.

My parents have related how as a small child, I would always wail: “Wiewa die Oma”, which in German child-speak meant “I want Grandma to cook, preferably Spätzle.” Grandma just makes it best. When others make it, even using the same recipe, it is simply not as good. That’s a fact.

Even today we often end up going home with a big portion of Spätzle after we visit Grandma’s house. I can’t understand people who buy readymade Spätzle in bags from the supermarket and then heat it up. No, that just won’t do.

Last year I was in the USA, where I lived in a co-op, short for co-operative housing; kind of like a huge flatshare. One of my responsibilities was to cook for my 60 hungry flatmates once a week. One time I decided to make Spätzle. Lacking a proper Spätzle press, I sliced the dough myself on a chopping board. That alone took two hours. But the end result was like heaven on earth- and almost, almost as good as Grandma’s.http://en.meetinghalfway.eu/2013/08/cooking-with-grandma-germany-black-forest-spatzle/

Cooking with Grandma (Germany): Black Forest Spätzle​

View attachment 67334946

Someone knew how to do it right because so often they aren't browned in butter after boiling. The red cabbage looks good too.

I make spaetzle a few times a year.

Someone knew how to do it right because so often they aren't browned in butter after boiling. The red cabbage looks good too.

I make spaetzle a few times a year.
Yep, browned in butter, plus sometimes I've seen them with a bit of browned breadcrumbs!

We used to make "Kluski Dumplings", which were similar - just a bit bigger and more round. Traditionally, they're used in chicken soups ('back in the old country', as my family would say). Alternatively, they were browned in bacon & onion, or butter & breadcrumbs, similar to frying pierogis. They're absolutely delicious. Poles love dumplings!

The recipe below is for a 'potato' dumplings, but in reality the mixture varies quite a bit by cook & desired result. We've often made them w/o potato, just using flour as the main base.

Damn, with old-timers dying-off I really miss these things!

1622317550721.jpeg

Yep, browned in butter, plus sometimes I've seen them with a bit of browned breadcrumbs!

We used to make "Kluski Dumplings", which were similar - just a bit bigger and more round. Traditionally, they're used in chicken soups ('back in the old country', as my family would say). Alternatively, they were browned in bacon & onion, or butter & breadcrumbs, similar to frying pierogis. They're absolutely delicious. Poles love dumplings!

The recipe below is for a 'potato' dumplings, but in reality the mixture varies quite a bit by cook & desired result. We've often made them w/o potato, just using flour as the main base.

Damn, with old-timers dying-off I really miss these things!

View attachment 67335436

I brown them in butter and add bread crumbs and herbs as a garnish. It's the way I was taught to do it by my mother and aunt. The bread crumbs as an element of crunch to the soft somewhat doughy spaetzle. My former MIL only boiled them and served them with a drizzle of melted butter.

I used to make potato dumplings for my daughter. She thought that was haute cuisine.

I might make warm German potato salad on Monday with BBQ.

Last edited:
Many roads lead to Rome.
And so there are many ways to cook Spätzle.
Spätzle are a many-splendoured thing.

I brown them in butter and add bread crumbs and herbs as a garnish. It's the way I was taught to do it by my mother and aunt. The bread crumbs as an element of crunch to the soft somewhat doughy spaetzle. My former MIL only boiled them and served them with a drizzle of melted butter.

I used to make potato dumplings for my daughter. She thought that was haute cuisine.

I might make warm German potato salad on Monday with BBQ.

This is all the old cooking we don't get much, anymore. I live in a city that has awesome ethnic food, and I eat everything & anything. Especially, tasty Asian. I could live on Dim Sum. But now that I rarely get the old Eastern Euro food of my childhood, I really miss it. German of course, is not 'Eastern Euro', but there are some similarities and we often went out for German or cooked it at home.

BTW, if your reference food is German food, and you like some Polish food, consider trying Czech food. It's sort of refined Polish, of sorts, and I suspect it woud fit the German palate very well.

And, I'll add: Of all the dishes the Germans have given us, German Potato salad is in my opinion the most significant contribution! Vinegar, bacon, served warm, who'd have ever thunk it? Thoroughly unique. Thoroughly delicious!

Last edited:

I do.

I remember a little German restaurant we have here in my hometown I never knew what spatzle was until then and it was always tasty with the various stewed meat dishes they served it with.

Love Spätzle , but dang, the mouth waters for some Balkan cuisine. I remember being invited to a lady's home for some homemade food. She taught me something called Ćevapi. Oh my, just try it.

Many roads lead to Rome.
And so there are many ways to cook Spätzle.
Spätzle are a many-splendoured thing.
I do not know of any nationality that doesn't produce a tasty egg pasta. They pretty much all do. It is a staple in most of the world's diet. Egg pasta was something that allowed a dish to be stretched with little meat or no meat at all using legumes to feed a large family.. An example of no meat is Italian's pasta fazool. It has pasta and beans

And, I'll add: Of all the dishes the Germans have given us, German Potato salad is in my opinion the most significant contribution! Vinegar, bacon, served warm, who'd have ever thunk it? Thoroughly unique. Thoroughly delicious!
I am surprised that it is so unique! :)
Here it is an everyday dish! :)

I do not know of any nationality that doesn't produce a tasty egg pasta. They pretty much all do. It is a staple in most of the world's diet.
Poor vegan people!
They miss so many good things.
And would do they get in return?
The good feeling that they are superior moral people and can look down on everybody else.

I would rather stay morally "inferior" and enjoy some Spätzle etc :love:

Back
Top Bottom