• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who leaked the Roe opinion?

Who Leaked the Roe Opinion?

• Total voters

brothern

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Who leaked the article? Vote and then post your best theory as to who leaked and why.

Here's just a few ideas.

Team Conservative Leaked

Justice Neil Gorsuch's pro-life law clerk learned that his boss has gotten cold feet about tossing 50 years of abortion precedent and Justice Robert's arguments. In attempt to keep his boss in the majority, the clerk leaked the first draft that indicates a 5-4 majority. After the revelation why would Gorsuch or any of the conservative justices risk the flip-flop to become the largest persona non grata in conservative circles for the rest of their natural lives?

Team Liberal Leaked

Justice Sonia Sotomayor's pro-choice law clerk knows that the 5-4 opinion is as good as done. There's no going back after June. As a result the clerk has thrown a Hail Mary by leaking the draft in the hope that the five justices face immediate and harsh protests from the American public (who is plurality pro-choice, after all). In the end one of them backs down.

Team Non-Partisan Leaked

The court's garbage man has gotten incredibly lucky when emptying the dumpster. How did a SCOTUS employee ever manage to forget to shred this document? Leaking this inflammatory and history-changing opinion will certainly get him written into American history books.

Someone else?!

Putin cronies have hacked SCOTUS and hit the jackpot. Putin knows that leaking this first draft will get the American public's blood boiling and at each other's throats in the matter of days. Any distraction to get the West's attention off of his war in the Ukraine would be welcome.

Last edited:
Someone else.

One of those liberal Justices did it to spur Congress into taking action.

What that Justice didn't think of is the fact that anything Congress passes will be challenged all the way up to the Supreme Court...and that liberal Justice will lose again.

I don't care who leaked it and I'm glad it was leaked. I'm glad the Pentagon Papers were leaked. I'm happy about Wikileaks. If it weren't for leakers and whistleblowers the government would run ever further amuck

Sotomayor has developed a big mouth so I wouldn’t be surprised if it turned out to be her.

I suspect Team Conservative for several reasons. 1st, they needed to float it as a trial balloon and see which way, and how strong, the political winds would be blowing. There's still plenty of time to change their minds before the decision is finally rendered. Also, by leaking it now, they acclimatize the public so that when it is finally rendered, it will be much less of a shock, with freedom of choice people having gotten used to the idea.

They know from decades of polling that the decision will be unpopular to the majority of the electorate. As dyed-in-the-wool conservatives, the last thing the SCOTUS wants to do is spring it on the public so close to the midterm elections. The closer it is, the stronger the potential political backlash might be, kicking the Republicans out of the House, and giving the Dems over 60% in the Senate. This leak eases the country into acceptance.

I will not comment directly on the "Roe" opinion as is a highly emotional time on the forum. Any wrong word and who knows what the reaction would be.

But here is the raw analysis from the political side in my opinion:

The way Biden is handling the war in Europe and this leak (Is irrelevant who did it now) means trouble for Republicans. I won't be so sure about the midterms now. Lots of time left until then, but still, Mitch McConnell probably had a long night last night.

I will not comment directly on the "Roe" opinion as is a highly emotional time on the forum. Any wrong word and who knows what the reaction would be.

But here is the raw analysis from the political side in my opinion:

The way Biden is handling the war in Europe and this leak (Is irrelevant who did it now) means trouble for Republicans. I won't be so sure about the midterms now. Still, lots of time left until then, but still, Mitch McConnell probably had a long night last night.
Mitch McConnell has no conscience and no firm moral convictions. He sleeps like a baby every night.

I think someone pulled a Comey. Thought they were going to save the world so I suspect an aide, could be from any of the justice clerks, passed the doc off to some useful idiot who fed it to politico

Who leaked the article? Vote and then post your best theory as to who leaked and why.

Here's just a few ideas.

Team Conservative Leaked

Justice Neil Gorsuch's pro-life law clerk learned that his boss has gotten cold feet about tossing 50 years of abortion precedent and Justice Robert's arguments. In attempt to keep his boss in the majority, the clerk leaked the first draft that indicates a 5-4 majority. After the revelation why would Gorsuch or any of the conservative justices risk the flip-flop to become the largest persona non grata in conservative circles for the rest of their natural lives?

Team Liberal Leaked

Justice Sonia Sotomayor's pro-choice law clerk knows that the 5-4 opinion is as good as done. There's no going back after June. As a result the clerk has thrown a Hail Mary by leaking the draft in the hope that the five justices face immediate and harsh protests from the American public (who is plurality pro-choice, after all). In the end one of them backs down.

Team Non-Partisan Leaked

The court's garbage man has gotten incredibly lucky when emptying the dumpster. How did a SCOTUS employee ever manage to forget to shred this document? Leaking this inflammatory and history-changing opinion will certainly get him written into American history books.

Someone else?!

Putin cronies have hacked SCOTUS and hit the jackpot. Putin knows that leaking this first draft will get the American public's blood boiling and at each other's throats in the matter of days. Any distraction to get the West's attention off of his war in the Ukraine would be welcome.
There should be an extra choice: "Who cares?". I'm glad we found out now, gives us more time to react. That's why Republicans are pissed - they thought they might be able to time the decision so it wouldn't hurt them as much in the mid-terms. They failed!!!! Thanks to the leaker!

There should be an extra choice: "Who cares?". I'm glad we found out now, gives us more time to react. That's why Republicans are pissed - they thought they might be able to time the decision so it wouldn't hurt them as much in the mid-terms. They failed!!!! Thanks to the leaker!
The who cares comment tells us all we need to know. Thx

Once we started looking the other way when historical statues, monuments, and the like were torn down it was the the beginning of the end. When we started going down that slippery slope the only way forward at this point is the complete dismantlement of our cultural norms.

There are no boundaries, no limits. Why should the SC be immune?

Here's just a few ideas.

Team Conservative Leaked

Team Liberal Leaked

Team Non-Partisan Leaked

Someone else?!

I think it's rather obvious that Trump convinced Putin to hack the court and release the draft as a way to distract from the war and the J6 committee findings. We really need a special counsel to get on this and Trump should be impeached immediately

Deep Throat?

Here's just a few ideas.

Team Conservative Leaked

Team Liberal Leaked

Team Non-Partisan Leaked

Someone else?!

Who stands to benefit the most. It seems the Democrats would.

That checks so many shaming boxes………..if there was a kegger, you’d hit on her……..
We are not here to discuss mistakes Luther may or may not have made while highly intoxicated.

Who stands to benefit the most. It seems the Democrats would.
Disagree. The Republicans would. This will come out in June anyway, nothing can stop that. Having this come out now gives the Republicans two additional months for the anger to settle and for voters to lose their zeal to get to the polls.

I do not see how Democrats benefit from this at all. They can't change a thing about this. The SCOTUS already has shown itself to not worry about public opinion.

Here's just a few ideas.

Team Conservative Leaked

Team Liberal Leaked

Team Non-Partisan Leaked

Someone else?!

Personally, I've been wondering if SCOTUS "leaked" it intentionally to see what the reaction would be.

Back
Top Bottom