• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who leaked the Roe opinion?

Who Leaked the Roe Opinion?

• Total voters
Let's be clear. This decision would strip a Constitutional right from 1/2 of our population.
Actually, to be fair and honest, abortion is nowhere in the Constitution.

This decision would cede the rights to the individual states as to whether abortion should be legal, and under whatever circumstances they see fit. It puts the power more into the people, no matter whether they are pro life, or pro choice.

Wasn't me. Codify it. Stack the court. Imprison Manchin and Sinema. Eliminate the filibuster. Forgive student loans. Free Huey. Release the hounds. Bomb Mississippi. Saw Florida off the continent. Black Lives Matter. Defund the police. Get in someone's face - use a mirror if you have to. Russian collusion. Impeach the mother****er. Outlaw internal combustion engines. Put your underwear on backwards.

All right, all right, all right. Now we're gettin somewhere.
You’re stepping on @Lutherf ’s routine, are you licensed and bonded?

This decision would cede the rights to the individual states as to whether abortion should be legal, and under whatever circumstances they see fit. It puts the power more into the people, no matter whether they are pro life, or pro choice.
It’s right next to the “US Air Force.”

I suspect Team Conservative for several reasons. 1st, they needed to float it as a trial balloon and see which way, and how strong, the political winds would be blowing. There's still plenty of time to change their minds before the decision is finally rendered. Also, by leaking it now, they acclimatize the public so that when it is finally rendered, it will be much less of a shock, with freedom of choice people having gotten used to the idea.

They know from decades of polling that the decision will be unpopular to the majority of the electorate. As dyed-in-the-wool conservatives, the last thing the SCOTUS wants to do is spring it on the public so close to the midterm elections. The closer it is, the stronger the potential political backlash might be, kicking the Republicans out of the House, and giving the Dems over 60% in the Senate. This leak eases the country into acceptance.
I think you're right. I have a hunch that this "leak" is meant to test the waters. Take the temperature of the people and see what will be in store down the road. I suspect that if they sense that there is enough resistance to push independents toward the Democratic party and adversely affect the midterms for Republicans, one of the conservative justices will have a "change of heart," and they will leave Roe in place. A conservative justice flipping at the eleventh hour takes no risk at all. They have a lifetime appointment.

I'm not saying it would work, only that someone might have thought it would.

It seems just about equally plausible that some staffer, clerk or even one of the Justices (although less likely) who agrees more with either Republicans or Democrats thought a leak would help their preferred side in the midterms.

And you can be damned sure that whoever did it, if they are found, will be a hero to those who want Roe v. Wade upheld, and a villain to those who want it overturned. Edit: Well, maybe, depending on the why and how.

I have no doubt they'll get death threats, and probably actual attempts at assassination.
The idea that one of the Justices being the source of the leak has been floated out. I don't see it as being viable because unless it was Bryer these guys have a lot of miles left in their journey on the bench. They would risk being ostracized by the other justices going forward if not impeachment itself.

Fifteen minutes of fame for a disbarrment is a high price to pay. It won't pay the bills. So there would have to be more to gain for this "hero" than just a transitory praise. Thus it reeks of others being involved making promises to this "hero".

Who would get the death threats -- the hero or the Justices voting to overturn R vs W?

Jonathon Turley had an article today reminding the people the comments Justice Sotomayor made during oral arguments in the Mississippi case Dobb's vs Jackson Womens Health Organization. During that time, she complained the stench of politics was pervading the case over abortion rights, He went on to state that those who are very interested in everything related to the Supreme Court were shocked by her comments. If she thought there was a stench then, there is no doubt now there is a massive stench lingering now over the draft copy released yesterday that was part of the deliberation process before the final vote showed 5 Justices agreed with Alito's summary. of the law not just over the case but also making a Constitutional legal case finding Roe v Wade was unconstitutional and bad law.

So who leaked to Politico? Only a very few at the Supreme Court were privy to the draft document. So If I were running the investigation that is now underway would be to start with Sotomayer and her clerks for starters. Just a thought.

thumbnail.jpg

Scroll back up to restore default view.
USA TODAY Opinion

'Stench' at the Supreme Court: Politically motivated leak over abortion shatters innocence​

Jonathan Turley
Tue, May 3, 2022, 2:00 PM·5 min read

Justice Sonia Sotomayor surprised many court watchers in December during the oral argument in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization when she complained about the "stench" of politics pervading the case over abortion rights.
The stench became overwhelming Monday night when Politico published a leaked copy of a working draft of the majority opinion in Dobbs. Chief Justice John Roberts verified the draft's authenticity Tuesday and launched an investigation.

The idea that one of the Justices being the source of the leak has been floated out. I don't see it as being viable because unless it was Bryer these guys have a lot of miles left in their journey on the bench. They would risk being ostracized by the other justices going forward if not impeachment itself.

Fifteen minutes of fame for a disbarrment is a high price to pay. It won't pay the bills. So there would have to be more to gain for this "hero" than just a transitory praise. Thus it reeks of others being involved making promises to this "hero".

Who would get the death threats -- the hero or the Justices voting to overturn R vs W?
I agree it would probably have to be a justice who was thinking about leaving anyway.

And both would get death threats, probably.

Nothing stirs up voters more than promising them something free or the threat of something being taken away after decades of having it. The dems can capitalize on this. I'm not saying they couldn't screw it up (afterall look at who their leader is). I just can't wrap my head around how the Republicans could benefit from this. They have to stay on message -- "It's the economy stupid!"
Yes, but the voters would be better stirred up in June .... not now, which is why I think the Cons are behind this.
Jonathon Turley had an article today reminding the people the comments Justice Sotomayor made during oral arguments in the Mississippi case Dobb's vs Jackson Womens Health Organization. During that time, she complained the stench of politics was pervading the case over abortion rights, He went on to state that those who are very interested in everything related to the Supreme Court were shocked by her comments. If she thought there was a stench then, there is no doubt now there is a massive stench lingering now over the draft copy released yesterday that was part of the deliberation process before the final vote showed 5 Justices agreed with Alito's summary. of the law not just over the case but also making a Constitutional legal case finding Roe v Wade was unconstitutional and bad law.

So who leaked to Politico? Only a very few at the Supreme Court were privy to the draft document. So If I were running the investigation that is now underway would be to start with Sotomayer and her clerks for starters. Just a thought.
Who cares?

Reactions: lwf
Jonathon Turley had an article today reminding the people the comments Justice Sotomayor made during oral arguments in the Mississippi case Dobb's vs Jackson Womens Health Organization. During that time, she complained the stench of politics was pervading the case over abortion rights, He went on to state that those who are very interested in everything related to the Supreme Court were shocked by her comments. If she thought there was a stench then, wonder there is no doubt now there is a massive stench lingering now over the draft copy released yesterday that was part of the deliberation process before the final vote showed 5 Justices agreed with Alito's summary. of the law not just over the case but also making a Constitutional legal case finding Roe v Wade was unconstitutional and bad law.

thumbnail.jpg

USA TODAY Opinion

'Stench' at the Supreme Court: Politically motivated leak over abortion shatters innocence​

Jonathan Turley

Justice Sonia Sotomayor surprised many court watchers in December during the oral argument in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization when she complained about the "stench" of politics pervading the case over abortion rights.
The stench became overwhelming Monday night when Politico published a leaked copy of a working draft of the majority opinion in Dobbs. Chief Justice John Roberts verified the draft's authenticity Tuesday and launched an investigation.
I'm still having trouble with the idea that a Justice might be directly involved in this. But imagine the conversations she might have had with her clerks and the impact that might have had on one of them.

Jonathon Turley had an article today reminding the people the comments Justice Sotomayor made during oral arguments in the Mississippi case Dobb's vs Jackson Womens Health Organization. During that time, she complained the stench of politics was pervading the case over abortion rights, He went on to state that those who are very interested in everything related to the Supreme Court were shocked by her comments. If she thought there was a stench then, wonder there is no doubt now there is a massive stench lingering now over the draft copy released yesterday that was part of the deliberation process before the final vote showed 5 Justices agreed with Alito's summary. of the law not just over the case but also making a Constitutional legal case finding Roe v Wade was unconstitutional and bad law.

thumbnail.jpg

USA TODAY Opinion

Jonathan Turley

While plausible, I feel like the Democrats would have benefitted more by waiting until the actual decision to overturn Roe was made closer to mid terms. The outrage this leak has sparked would have been nothing compared to the outrage the decision itself coming out of the blue would have sparked.

My gut tells me this was leaked by someone who is in favor of overturning Roe and worried that doing so will empower Democrats during the midterms. This is a way to test the waters and give people time to digest the decision and, crucially, it gives Republican strategists plenty of time to come up with effective talking points to use during the mid term elections.

Yes, but the voters would be better stirred up in June .... not now, which is why I think the Cons are behind this.

Who cares?
You can get a lot of mileage out of something like this. It's a gamble for the democrats that might backfire. Every extra day gives them an opportunity to adapt if it does. Too close to the Midterms might be cutting it too much.

While plausible, I feel like the Democrats would have benefitted more by waiting until the actual decision to overturn Roe was made closer to mid terms. The outrage this leak has sparked would have been nothing compared to the outrage the decision itself coming out of the blue would have sparked.

My gut tells me this was leaked by someone who is in favor of overturning Roe and worried that doing so will empower Democrats during the midterms. This is a way to test the waters and give people time to digest the decision and, crucially, it gives Republican strategists plenty of time to come up with effective talking points to use during the mid term elections.
Very true but so far the dems are trying desperately to stay focused on the document contents and ignoring the ramifications of it being leaked. It's the slight of hand trick.

I do not think those motives fit the potential actors. You don't go thermonuclear to test the waters on one issue (that isn't even close to being what the electorate is saying is their most important issue) for a midterm. You do it to pressure a Justice (or Justices) to change a position on what you assume is a do-or-die case that is worth (if necessary) the complete destruction of your entire professional life before it has even gotten started.

I think, if they cannot determine very rapidly who did the leaking, all the clerks need to be let go. As a body, they apparently can't be trusted and so, without prejudice against any individual member, they must all be gone.

Very true but so far the dems are trying desperately to stay focused on the document contents and ignoring the ramifications of it being leaked. It's the slight of hand trick.
This was leaked by one of only a very few people who knew about this decision. Given the nature of the decision, I think it is to be expected that Democrats would be less interested in the ramifications of the leak than Republicans, regardless of which side leaked it. Republicans benefit politically from leaking the decision early in this case. They can now better prepare a defense for when the decision is actually made, and they rob the decision itself of some of its shock value by dragging out the reveal through a leak followed by assurances that the decision is not yet final. Democrats would have been politically better off waiting for the decision itself and taking both parties by surprise.

I think, if they cannot determine very rapidly who did the leaking, all the clerks need to be let go. As a body, they apparently can't be trusted and so, without prejudice against any individual member, they must all be gone.

You are assuming it was a clerk.

You are assuming it was a clerk.
I think at current that is certainly far and away the most likely scenario. What is up in the air is whose clerk, and why.

You know what else isn't in the Constitution? Women.

It doesn't have to be in the Constitution to be constitutional. How do we have the Air Force? Are you trying to tell me that Mississippi represents their voters equally?

I think at current that is certainly far and away the most likely scenario. What is up in the air is whose clerk, and why.

Mostly likely isn't grounds for termination.

It could easily have been a justice. They're just as capable of being stupid as a clerk is.

You know what else isn't in the Constitution? Women.

It doesn't have to be in the Constitution to be constitutional. How do we have the Air Force? Are you trying to tell me that Mississippi represents their voters equally?
Absolutely right. Conservatives think they can demand rights for white men then scurry behind the constitution like little cowardly bitches and claim, “You can’t have your freedoms because it’s not written in there.”

Shame on them.

Back
Top Bottom