• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who leaked the Roe opinion?

Who Leaked the Roe Opinion?

• Total voters
I don't care, I'm just glad they did. Imo, every justice that votes for this and supported stare decisis in their confirmation hearings should be impeached for lying to Congress.

Roe was originally affirmed 7-2. 5 of those justices were appointed by R presidents.
Casey v Planned Parenthood opinion was written by 3 justices. 2 were appointed by President Reagan.

Let's be clear. This decision would strip a Constitutional right from 1/2 of our population. This decision will not stop abortions. This decision will result in the deaths of American women, one of whom could be your mother, sister, daughter, spouse etc.

Disagree. The Republicans would. This will come out in June anyway, nothing can stop that. Having this come out now gives the Republicans two additional months for the anger to settle and for voters to lose their zeal to get to the polls.

I do not see how Democrats benefit from this at all.
Nothing stirs up voters more than promising them something free or the threat of something being taken away after decades of having it. The dems can capitalize on this. I'm not saying they couldn't screw it up (afterall look at who their leader is). I just can't wrap my head around how the Republicans could benefit from this. They have to stay on message -- "It's the economy stupid!"

I’ve watched many spy thrillers and business drama series. Doesn’t the SCOTUS have some system in place to keep track of documents? Pass card controlled printer and secure area access and the like?

SCOTUS is all “our privacy was invaded!” I guess they cannot see the hypocrisy……..:unsure:

The who cares comment tells us all we need to know. Thx

Once we started looking the other way when historical statues, monuments, and the like were torn down it was the the beginning of the end. When we started going down that slippery slope the only way forward at this point is the complete dismantlement of our cultural norms.

There are no boundaries, no limits. Why should the SC be immune?
Take your fake monuments and statues. They were not put up to honor people, they were put up to remind other people. This slave auction block is important to Fredricksburg's history. Right.
1651608283525.png

Nothing stirs up voters more than promising them something free or the threat of something being taken away after decades of having it. The dems can capitalize on this. I'm not saying they couldn't screw it up (afterall look at who their leader is). I just can't wrap my head around how the Republicans could benefit from this. They have to stay on message -- "It's the economy stupid!"
Proof that they, and Trump, put conservative justices on the court who finally managed to overturn the ruling they've been fighting for 50 years.
The massive voter turnout from evangelical Christians in 2016 actually got what they wanted done, and even though Trump lost in 2020 their goal was still achieved.

A win for their side that Republicans can point at for the next 50 years.

An investigation of how a 30-year-old grievance sparked an epic and bitter political struggle for control of the country’s highest court. FRONTLINE traces how Mitch McConnell’s decades-long strategy to reshape the Supreme Court led to Amy Coney Barrett’s confirmation.

*You will need an American IP to view the documentary or find ways around it. I watched it a while ago on youtube before it was removed. Americans don't like to share some of their knowledge with Canadians.
Aired: 05/21/19

sharing this as a piece of information just came to mind. It is related to McConnell.

Last edited:
Take your fake monuments and statues. They were not put up to honor people, they were put up to remind other people. This slave auction block is important to Fredricksburg's history. Right.
View attachment 67388776
It took them about three years to move the block to a museum.

The who cares comment tells us all we need to know. Thx

Once we started looking the other way when historical statues, monuments, and the like were torn down it was the the beginning of the end. When we started going down that slippery slope the only way forward at this point is the complete dismantlement of our cultural norms.

There are no boundaries, no limits. Why should the SC be immune?
Roe v Wade is a long established cultural norm.

Who leaked the article? Vote and then post your best theory as to who leaked and why.

Here's just a few ideas.

Team Conservative Leaked

Justice Neil Gorsuch's pro-life law clerk learned that his boss has gotten cold feet about tossing 50 years of abortion precedent and Justice Robert's arguments. In attempt to keep his boss in the majority, the clerk leaked the first draft that indicates a 5-4 majority. After the revelation why would Gorsuch or any of the conservative justices risk the flip-flop to become the largest persona non grata in conservative circles for the rest of their natural lives?

Team Liberal Leaked

Justice Sonia Sotomayor's pro-choice law clerk knows that the 5-4 opinion is as good as done. There's no going back after June. As a result the clerk has thrown a Hail Mary by leaking the draft in the hope that the five justices face immediate and harsh protests from the American public (who is plurality pro-choice, after all). In the end one of them backs down.

Team Non-Partisan Leaked

The court's garbage man has gotten incredibly lucky when emptying the dumpster. How did a SCOTUS employee ever manage to forget to shred this document? Leaking this inflammatory and history-changing opinion will certainly get him written into American history books.

Someone else?!

Putin cronies have hacked SCOTUS and hit the jackpot. Putin knows that leaking this first draft will get the American public's blood boiling and at each other's throats in the matter of days. Any distraction to get the West's attention off of his war in the Ukraine would be welcome.

I'm imagining a mission impossible style heist to grab the opinion

My gut says Team Liberal.

Personally, I've been wondering if SCOTUS "leaked" it intentionally to see what the reaction would be.
I doubt that, it's been the goal of Moscow Mitch since he's been in office, & they (the righty Justices) have been salivating for a case where they could take the right to chose away from the weaker sex.

I think it's rather obvious that Trump convinced Putin to hack the court and release the draft as a way to distract from the war and the J6 committee findings. We really need a special counsel to get on this and Trump should be impeached immediately
I assume you're saying that sarcastically, but you could be right.

Proof that they, and Trump, put conservative justices on the court who finally managed to overturn the ruling they've been fighting for 50 years.
The massive voter turnout from evangelical Christians in 2016 actually got what they wanted done, and even though Trump lost in 2020 their goal was still achieved.

A win for their side that Republicans can point at for the next 50 years.
The final decision would have been released in June (maybe July). The contents of it is still an unknown -- this was just a draft. I think it's too early for Republicans to take a victory lap. The final decision might take on a more narrow ruling just on the Mississippi case.

The subject broached was who would benefit more from the leak. There's a midterm approaching very quickly. The economy isn't gonna suddenly improve for the dems. They desperately need a wedge issue to run on. This one will work.

The final decision would have been released in June (maybe July). The contents of it is still an unknown -- this was just a draft. I think it's too early for Republicans to take a victory lap. The final decision might take on a more narrow ruling just on the Mississippi case.

The subject broached was who would benefit more from the leak. There's a midterm approaching very quickly. The economy isn't gonna suddenly improve for the dems. They desperately need a wedge issue to run on. This one will work.
Even if it turns out to be less than a complete overturn, they can still point at the draft as proof it was attempted.
I think the leak potentially benefits both sides, and Republicans are usually more organized anyway.

Wasn't me. Codify it. Stack the court. Imprison Manchin and Sinema. Eliminate the filibuster. Forgive student loans. Free Huey. Release the hounds. Bomb Mississippi. Saw Florida off the continent. Black Lives Matter. Defund the police. Get in someone's face - use a mirror if you have to. Russian collusion. Impeach the mother****er. Outlaw internal combustion engines. Put your underwear on backwards.

All right, all right, all right. Now we're gettin somewhere.

Wasn't me. Codify it. Stack the court. Imprison Manchin and Sinema. Eliminate the filibuster. Forgive student loans. Free Huey. Release the hounds. Bomb Mississippi. Saw Florida off the continent. Black Lives Matter. Defund the police. Get in someone's face - use a mirror if you have to. Russian collusion. Impeach the mother****er. Outlaw internal combustion engines. Put your underwear on backwards.

All right, all right, all right. Now we're gettin somewhere.
Uh....

What the heck are you on about?

Even if it turns out to be less than a complete overturn, they can still point at the draft as proof it was attempted.
I think the leak potentially benefits both sides, and Republicans are usually more organized anyway.
I'm not sure a campaign based on "We almost overturned Roe vs. Wade for you!" is a winning campaign slogan. However one saying "We're gonna stop those mean Republicans from taking away your rights to an abortion!" has a nice ring to it.

Who leaked the article? Vote and then post your best theory as to who leaked and why.

Here's just a few ideas.

Team Conservative Leaked

Justice Neil Gorsuch's pro-life law clerk learned that his boss has gotten cold feet about tossing 50 years of abortion precedent and Justice Robert's arguments. In attempt to keep his boss in the majority, the clerk leaked the first draft that indicates a 5-4 majority. After the revelation why would Gorsuch or any of the conservative justices risk the flip-flop to become the largest persona non grata in conservative circles for the rest of their natural lives?

Team Liberal Leaked

Justice Sonia Sotomayor's pro-choice law clerk knows that the 5-4 opinion is as good as done. There's no going back after June. As a result the clerk has thrown a Hail Mary by leaking the draft in the hope that the five justices face immediate and harsh protests from the American public (who is plurality pro-choice, after all). In the end one of them backs down.

Team Non-Partisan Leaked

The court's garbage man has gotten incredibly lucky when emptying the dumpster. How did a SCOTUS employee ever manage to forget to shred this document? Leaking this inflammatory and history-changing opinion will certainly get him written into American history books.

Someone else?!

Putin cronies have hacked SCOTUS and hit the jackpot. Putin knows that leaking this first draft will get the American public's blood boiling and at each other's throats in the matter of days. Any distraction to get the West's attention off of his war in the Ukraine would be welcome.
I wouldn't doubt Sotomayor being the leaker.

I'm not sure a campaign based on "We almost overturned Roe vs. Wade for you!" is a winning campaign slogan. However one saying "We're gonna stop those mean Republicans from taking away your rights to an abortion!" has a nice ring to it.
I'm not saying it would work, only that someone might have thought it would.

It seems just about equally plausible that some staffer, clerk or even one of the Justices (although less likely) who agrees more with either Republicans or Democrats thought a leak would help their preferred side in the midterms.

And you can be damned sure that whoever did it, if they are found, will be a hero to those who want Roe v. Wade upheld, and a villain to those who want it overturned. Edit: Well, maybe, depending on the why and how.

I have no doubt they'll get death threats, and probably actual attempts at assassination.

Back
Top Bottom