• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who is trying to ban guns?[W:1074:1468]

CrabCake

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
It seems to be taken for granted that there is a movement to ban guns in the US. Yet, I have never heard of or encountered such a movement before. Then again, gun control / gun rights is not a pet issue of mine, so it's quite likely that I would miss the relevant news stories about this. So, for those who follow these sorts of things, could you point to any mainstream organizations that lobby for banning firearms?

re: Who is trying to ban guns?[W:1074]

It seems to be taken for granted that there is a movement to ban guns in the US. Yet, I have never heard of or encountered such a movement before. Then again, gun control / gun rights is not a pet issue of mine, so it's quite likely that I would miss the relevant news stories about this. So, for those who follow these sorts of things, could you point to any mainstream organizations that lobby for banning firearms?

yeah now that I think about it, I've never seen a movement to ban guns.

Chances are though, the conservative hacks will say "the liberal movement of course is the gun banning movement"

Don't be surprised if a post like that invades this otherwise innocent thread.

Nobody wants to ban guns.

They just want to keep them out of the hands of people who might use them.:roll:

I've seen calls to ban various assault weapons. But these are easy to get around. They're always specific lists of brands and types and a tiny modification with a different designation is enough to allow essentially the same weapon back onto the market. It's like a ban on cool ranch chips, but if they call it chilly ranch and put a slightly different amount of a single spice in the recipe, it's not covered by the ban.

There is no serious gun banning movement. The only ones with any serious support are regulations on sales, like background checks and better documentation.

Dianne Feinstein among others would see bans that include a HUGE amount of weapons.
http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/pub...?File_id=9a9270d5-ce4d-49fb-9b2f-69e69f517fb4

Essentially ANY weapon that can receive a magazine would be banned meaning all semi-automatic handguns. Any shotgun (or rifle for that matter) that is equipped with a pistol grip. Standard weapons like the Ruger Mini 14 .223 cal ranch rifle would be banned.

And she is not alone. Of course New York already rammed through restrictive legislation. New Jersey passed legislation limiting weapon sales to only weapons equipped with 'smart gun' technology once they are on the market.

Make no mistake...this is just for starters. Its ludicrous to say that there is not a movement to 'ban guns' just because at the current time they arent targeting ALL guns.

Last edited:

Nobody wants to ban guns.

They just want to keep them out of the hands of people who might use them.:roll:
A more accurate statement would be nobody is ADVOCATING for the ban of ALL guns. Just...MOST of them.

So, we know there are movements interested in banning certain categories of firearms deemed to be for military use only.

We also know there are movements interested in regulating who can own firearms, how they can be displayed (or not), and where they can be carried.

But as far as anyone knows, there really isn't any meaningful movement to ban private ownership of firearms.

So, we know there are movements interested in banning certain categories of firearms deemed to be for military use only.

We also know there are movements interested in regulating who can own firearms, how they can be displayed (or not), and where they can be carried.

But as far as anyone knows, there really isn't any meaningful movement to ban private ownership of firearms.

Simply not true.

Several federal level politicians have made mention of an outright ban as "preferable" but they "recognize the Constitutional difficulties" with such a ban.

Actually no since the bans on "certain categories" includes firearms that are used for sporting purposes and not "for military use only"... which is a misnomer anyway.

Actually no since the bans on "certain categories" includes firearms that are used for sporting purposes and not "for military use only"... which is a misnomer anyway.

I said "deemed to be for military use only". I didn't say they correctly classified them that way.

You call a semiautomatic handgun a weapon deemed for military use? Or home defense shotguns? (and in line w/ post above...you think THEY deem semiautomatic handguns, rifles, and shotguns as 'military use'?)

You will only see what you choose to see.

You call a semiautomatic handgun a weapon deemed for military use? Or home defense shotguns? (and in line w/ post above...you think THEY deem semiautomatic handguns, rifles, and shotguns as 'military use'?)

You will only see what you choose to see.

What do you (choose to) see?

I said "deemed to be for military use only". I didn't say they correctly classified them that way.

Then you are acknowledging that there is an effort to ban firearms used for sporting use. See, you've answered your own question.

Which of those are interested in outlawing private ownership of firearms?

Most of them since they support the bans on certain weapons.

Sad thing is...NONE of those organizations are committed to targeting those that actually commit the crimes.

They figure no guns is good thing...not seeing the larger picture.

Which of those are interested in outlawing private ownership of firearms?

Not that they would tell you but, most of them. Curtailing or infringing any part of my God-given right to personal and family protection is too much.

They figure no guns is good thing...not seeing the larger picture.
No illegal drugs would be awesome too. Good things there are laws that prevent them from coming into the country. Phew!

Sad thing is...NONE of those organizations are committed to targeting those that actually commit the crimes.

Why would they?

They are on the side of criminals. Anyone who wants to disarm honest citizens, making them easier and safer prey for criminals, is on the side of criminals.

Why would you expect a pro-criminal organization to target the very ones on whose side they are?

HOw about the senior senator from California

I've seen calls to ban various assault weapons. But these are easy to get around. They're always specific lists of brands and types and a tiny modification with a different designation is enough to allow essentially the same weapon back onto the market. It's like a ban on cool ranch chips, but if they call it chilly ranch and put a slightly different amount of a single spice in the recipe, it's not covered by the ban.

There is no serious gun banning movement. The only ones with any serious support are regulations on sales, like background checks and better documentation.

that's a bit dishonest. half the guns I own have labels on the boxes saying NOT FOR SALE IN CALIFORNIA

Now its CT, Maryland, NY, NJ and other states infected by too many Democrats and too little logic

do you actually believe the stuff you are saying

most of the guns banned by Clinton were not military grade weapons. You are being dishonest. The democrat party has dozens of its elected officials-from Obama to Feinstein, Schumer to Biden, who want to ban all sorts of guns

Back
Top Bottom