• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

who is the worse president in our history?

easyt65 said:
However, an Impeached President who betrays his oath of office while trampling on the Constitution AND who SELLS an enemy nation's military the technology to reach and FRY millions of Americans with their nuclear weapons, all for campaign contributions, definitely has the edge in 'Worst U.S. President in History!

Dude....uh....unless something happened overnight I am unaware of....Bush hasnt been impeached yet.

tecoyah said:
Dude....uh....unless something happened overnight I am unaware of....Bush hasnt been impeached yet.

Correct, Genius! I was talking about Clinton, only the 3rd President in History to ever be Impeached - the 1st, however, to sell an enemy military the technology it needed to be able to strike this country with its nuclear arsenal!

BodiSatva said:
Alright HOOT! then who do you think was the worst? Al Gore? Erin Burr?

Aaron Burr, Erin is the female version I think :D Not to mention that neither were presidents.

easyt65 said:
I was talking about Clinton, only the 3rd President in History to ever be Impeached

He was the second, Johnson being the first. I know what you're thinking, but Nixon resigned. There was a federal judge, Walter L. Nixon, who was impeached in '89. :D

I think the worst presidents are deffinelely Bill Clinton. Ya, he was just a wimp that never did anything with the middle east threats which eventually led to 9/11. His high taxes were unfair. You say his presidency was full of peace, but because he didn't step his foot down it led to more violence. We all blame Bush for everything, but a lot of it is because of the Clinton presidency.

*taps -Demosthenes- on the shoulder and gently whispers*

" Yes, thank you for that information...it is a joke. See how I am setting up Hoot !Since we are whispering and the letters are small, he will still be in the dark about my George Washington and crew remark...just play along please ;) "

BodiSatva said:
" Yes, thank you for that information...it is a joke. See how I am setting up Hoot ! Since we are whispering and the letters are small, he will still be in the dark about my George Washington and crew remark...just play along please "

ok :p

DUDE!! You didn't post SMALL, now he will see and know!

DANG!

Dude, what they heck man! haha...;)

easyt65 said:
Correct, Genius! I was talking about Clinton, only the 3rd President in History to ever be Impeached - the 1st, however, to sell an enemy military the technology it needed to be able to strike this country with its nuclear arsenal!

I really need to work on that Sarcasm thing.....not as obvious as I think it is.

James Polk's only mistake was the purchase of the Oregon terrritory - setting us up with Portland And Seattle as a bastion of ugly girls and bearded peace creeps.

alphamale said:
James Polk's only mistake was the purchase of the Oregon terrritory - setting us up with Portland And Seattle as a bastion of ugly girls and bearded peace creeps.

Dude, you live in California. Plus, I don't know what you're talking about, I've seen plenty of good looking girls from Oregon and Washington. I suppose you might mean they don't shave their armpits or something. That hardly makes them ugly.

BodiSatva said:
*taps -Demosthenes- on the shoulder and gently whispers*

" Yes, thank you for that information...it is a joke. See how I am setting up Hoot !Since we are whispering and the letters are small, he will still be in the dark about my George Washington and crew remark...just play along please ;) "

Sorry, I forgot to laugh.

And to all of you, Bush will be the worst president, no doubt about it, he is hands down the winner, unless you're blinded by partisan hypocrisy?

It's no contest, game over, dude. At least Bush has proven he is good at something...being the worst.

Hoot said:
Sorry, I forgot to laugh.

And to all of you, Bush will be the worst president, no doubt about it, he is hands down the winner, unless you're blinded by partisan hypocrisy?

It's no contest, game over, dude. At least Bush has proven he is good at something...being the worst.

With how much retrospect?

-Demosthenes- said:
With how much retrospect?

Gee...I don't know? How about when that fish first crawled out of the ocean and walked on land?

Is that enough retrospect for you?

alphamale said:

Only you could demonize people who are for peace. Maybe Hamas is hiring.:2razz:

scipian said:
There's hardly any debate. Warren Harding. Horrible.

BTW- Bush isn't the first to invade a sovereign nation. The Mexican War was clearly a conquest war. And in my opinion, this war was justified.

Correction, Mexican troops made the mistake of entering U.S. territory.

-Demosthenes- said:
Why? He was the perfect president in some ways, said what he'd do, got elected, did what he said, nothing else, got out, and didn't run again.

Unless you're talking about Mexico. It didn't go so well for them.

Not exactly. He promised to get all of Oregon or go to war with Britain over it. He didn't. He went to war to gain SOUTHERN territory (he was a Southerner.) but NOT to gain more likely free soil territory.

-Demosthenes- said:
We bought the Gadsden Purchase after the war. This was not the land we took in the war, but a little bit more to add. The land taken in war was not paid for.

Wrong. 15 million dollars was for the Mexican Cessian, NOT Gadsden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Guadalupe_Hidalgo

Hence the fact that Texas' Independence was warranted isn't what I'm refuting, merely the fact that it was a stretch that the US considered the Rio Grande the Southern border -

and for good or evil did so to start a war to get land.

Wrong. The Treaty of Velasco set that boundary at the Rio Grande.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Velasco

As for Texas's anenxation. It actually requested to be annexed twice before threatening to establish close ties with Britain, which the U.S. Senate didn't want to allow. The annexation questions was caught up in the "slave state" - "Free soil" debate of the day.

ludahai said:
Demo said:
We bought the Gadsden Purchase after the war. This was not the land we took in the war, but a little bit more to add. The land taken in war was not paid for.

Wrong. 15 million dollars was for the Mexican Cessian, NOT Gadsden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_...dalupe_Hidalgo

Wrong (are you confused?).

$3.25 million for the land taken in war, the $10 million was for Gadsden purchase later.

"The treaty provided for the Mexican Cession, in which Mexico ceded 1.36 million km² (525,000 square miles) to the United States in exchange for USD$15 million. The United States also agreed to take over $3.25 million in debts Mexico owed to American citizens."

and the Gadsden:
"After the end of the Mexican-American War in 1848, border disputes between the United States and Mexico remained unsettled. Land that now comprises lower Arizona and New Mexico was part of a proposed southern route for a transcontinental railroad. U.S. President Franklin Pierce was convinced by Jefferson Davis, then the country's Secretary of War, to send James Gadsden (who had personal interests in the rail route) to negotiate the Gadsden Purchase with Mexico. Under the resulting agreement, the U.S. paid Mexico $10 million (equivalent to $233 million in 2004 dollars[1]) to secure the land."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_...dalupe_Hidalgo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadsden_Purchase

ludahai said:
Wrong. The Treaty of Velasco set that boundary at the Rio Grande.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Velasco

As for Texas's anenxation. It actually requested to be annexed twice before threatening to establish close ties with Britain, which the U.S. Senate didn't want to allow. The annexation questions was caught up in the "slave state" - "Free soil" debate of the day.

Wong. :)D)

Was the US require to uphold it's part of the treaty? If so, then the treaty of null and void, if not then treaties mean nothing.

Either way, with the US breaking the treaty, I don't see any reason that Mexico had to follow the treaty. Unless they weren't Anglo enough.

-Demosthenes- said:
Wong. :)D)

Was the US require to uphold it's part of the treaty? If so, then the treaty of null and void, if not then treaties mean nothing.

Either way, with the US breaking the treaty, I don't see any reason that Mexico had to follow the treaty. Unless they weren't Anglo enough.

Huh?!?!? What portion of the treaty did the U.S. NOT follow. The boundary was the Rio Grande. The Mexicans violated the boundary, NOT the U.S.

dragonslayer said:
In my opinion the worst presidents in history, were the current George W. Bush, George Bush Sr, Jimmy Carter, and Herbert Hoover.

George W. Bush is the first President to start a totally unprovoked war and lie like Satan to get support for the war. Bush's policies are aggression and terror based, and his financial policies are against the American People.

I say Harding and Hoover tie for it. Harding with the corruption and Hoover for basically not giving two craps about the depression and treating it like a headache that would just go away.

I don't think you can really give a proper rating to GWB. Not enough time has passed to give him a proper glance. GWB Sr. you can give some rating to but he still has time on his side. As for Carter I would agree to a point but I think he worked his tail off to do the right thing, but sometimes he did it to a fault.

Billo_Really said:
George Bush is the first President that didn't give a f_ck about the nation he served.

I wish you'd go finish your GED before you come in here spouting your nonsense.

In January 1846, Polk increased pressure on Mexico to sell California and New Mexico for $30 million by sending troops, under General Zachary Taylor, into the area between the Nueces River and the Rio Grande—territory that was claimed by both Texas (which had rebelled from Mexico ten years earlier) and Mexico.

Taylor ignored Mexican demands that he withdraw, and marched to the bank of the Rio Grande, where he began to build Fort Brown. The Mexican forces on the opposite side of the river, in Matamoros, commanded by General Mariano Arista prepared for war.

On 24 April 1846, 2,000 Mexican cavalry crossed the Rio Grande, and attacked an American troop

Polk, in a message to Congress on May 11, 1846 stated that Mexico had "invaded our territory and shed American blood upon the American soil". A joint session of Congress overwhelmingly approved the declaration of war.

ludahai said:
Huh?!?!? What portion of the treaty did the U.S. NOT follow. The boundary was the Rio Grande. The Mexicans violated the boundary, NOT the U.S.

Kept Santa Anna prisoner after the treaty was signed, which specifically stated that he would be released.

-Demosthenes- said:
Wrong (are you confused?).

$3.25 million for the land taken in war, the $10 million was for Gadsden purchase later.

You're clearly confused. You post links to the treaty, but you've clearly never read it.

ARTICLE XII

In consideration of the extension acquired by the boundaries of the United States, as defined in the fifth article of the present treaty, the Government of the United States engages to pay to that of the Mexican Republic the sum of fifteen millions of dollars.

See? Don't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out.

More of that delectable ARTICLE XII

Immediately after the treaty shall have been duly ratified by the Government of the Mexican Republic, the sum of three millions of dollars shall be paid to the said Government by that of the United States, at the city of Mexico, in the gold or silver coin of Mexico The remaining twelve millions of dollars shall be paid at the same place, and in the same coin, in annual installments of three millions of dollars each, together with interest on the same at the rate of six per centum per annum. This interest shall begin to run upon the whole sum of twelve millions from the day of the ratification of the present treaty by--the Mexican Government, and the first of the installments shall be paid-at the expiration of one year from the same day. Together with each annual installment, as it falls due, the whole interest accruing on such installment from the beginning shall also be paid.

The three megabucks you're chattering about was the US government's decision ot pay off debt owed by Mexicans to US citizens. Probably because even way back then Mexicans couldn't be trusted to honor debts or agreements.

Back
Top Bottom