• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who is the most influental conservative voice in America?

Who is the most influential conservatve voice in America?

• Total voters
That's classic denial.

My Grandmother (has dementia now) would do the same. Rail against drugs and booze,... even as she was begging for a pain pill.

If you haven't lived with it and dealt with it,...I doubt that I can make you understand.

There's a difference between mere addiction,... and the want for drugs for recreational use.

Either way laws must be broken in order to feed the addiction. Rush was violating the law to get his narcotic fix. Personal responsibility's a bitch.

Either way laws must be broken in order to feed the addiction. Rush was violating the law to get his narcotic fix. Personal responsibility's a bitch.

I completely agree.

And my Grandmother did the same.

She would claim she lost her meds or left them somewhere,.... shop doctors, etc.

When she finally went to the nursing home and we had to do something with her things, we found stashes everywhere.

Hundreds of pills.

We all picked up her meds for her from time to time and never realised that she was using us to get more meds than she was supposed to have.

In my experience, it all stems from the addiction itself.

i never heard your grandmother on the radio calling for severe penalties but I have heard rush on the radio calling for severe penalties for something he was doing himself.

If you think I personally would have a problem with Rush (or even my Grandmother) going to jail or paying a fine for any crimes committed,.... You're wrong.

If you think I personally would have a problem with Rush (or even my Grandmother) going to jail or paying a fine for any crimes committed,.... You're wrong.

Cool, personally I'm against prison time for drug addicts. Since rush has a large the hypocrisy of his position is an issue.

Cool, personally I'm against prison time for drug addicts. Since rush has a large the hypocrisy of his position is an issue.

You still don't understand the denial aspect for drug addicts.

Rush never claimed people who develop dependencies or addictions should be punished..... Only those who do so 'recreationally.'

Now if you could show that Rush was using pain meds for recreational use,... you would then have a much more significant point.

The thing is with pain meds is that as you become addicted,... your tolerance for the meds go up (they become less effective) and your tolerance for pain goes down,... every ache you feel demands a pill.

That's a long way from "hey man,.. take one of these and you be trippin."

Last edited:
You still don't understand the denial aspect for drug addicts.

Rush never claimed people who develop dependencies or addictions should be punished..... Only those who do so 'recreationally.'

Now if you could show that Rush was using pain meds for recreational use,... you would then have a much more significant point.

The thing is with pain meds is that as you become addicted,... your tolerance for the meds go up (they become less effective) and your tolerance for pain goes down,... every ache you feel demands a pill.

That's a long way from "hey man,.. take one of these and you be trippin."

He claimed people who break drug laws (he broke drug laws) what ever laws should punished severely.

I completely agree.

And my Grandmother did the same.

She would claim she lost her meds or left them somewhere,.... shop doctors, etc.

When she finally went to the nursing home and we had to do something with her things, we found stashes everywhere.

Hundreds of pills.

We all picked up her meds for her from time to time and never realised that she was using us to get more meds than she was supposed to have.

In my experience, it all stems from the addiction itself.

Absolutley it stems from the addiction.

But that doesn't negate the personal responsibility aspect. One can't argue in favor of personal responsibility for one type of addiction, while also arguing in favor of a victimization mentality for another.

I have sympathy for all addicts. From crackheads to oxycontin abusers. There's always some underlying problem that leads to the addiction.

But one doesn't become an addict pasively. It's an active endeavor. There are choices that are made along the way. No matter what the drug is, no matter who the addict is.

I don't think that any addict is better than another, nor do I consider non-addicts to be better people than addicts. We're all human and we all have weaknesses. I'd have an issue with Rush's comments about drug addiction that were made before his own addiction was known regardless of his own drug use. The fact is that he was implying that addicts were "lesser people" than non-addicts with his statements and that's pure bull****.

Now, I'm not sure if he was already addicted to prescription drugs at the time. If he was, that's a hypocritical stance and deserves all the criticism it receives for it's hypocricy.

If he wasn't an addict at that time, but still holds a similar view, then that's even worse, becaus enow he should have a better understanding of the problem of addiction. If he hasn't altered his stance, then he not only is engaging in hypocricy, he's ****ting on the concept of personal responsibility for himself, which is in essence ****ting on conservative philosophy in favor of self-delusion.

If he wasn't an addict at the time of the statements, and has since softened his views due to having a greater understanding of the issue, kudos to him.

I kind of wish I could vote again. I would vote for Coulter or Hannity at this point just because I feel bad for them. :2razz:

Ronald Reagan.

He's dead and he's still arguably the most influential. The majority of the radio hosts people reference continually allude back to Reagan, claim Reagan is the model for their principles and views, and use Reagan's words and views to validate their ideas. Every political candidate on the right is continually trying to be a "Reagan conservative" and referencing the man. Most conservatives long for the days of Reagan while youth are taught of him as the pinnacle of Conservatism often.

Even dead, his voice...through the words he's left over and the legacy that continues on...is by far the most influential amongst conservatives.
I agree with this, the reason I did not think to include Reagan/Goldwater is that they have passed on. I guess because of the structure of the poll I assumed we were talking about those still with us. I'd also throw William F. Buckley into this conversation.

I kind of wish I could vote again. I would vote for Coulter or Hannity at this point just because I feel bad for them. :2razz:

If we were asked to list in order,.. who we think the most Conservative voices are,.. Hannity and Coulter would stil easily be in the top ten.

No need to feel bad about that at all.

Wow...the only non-sickening answer there is "other". I hope none of the above, though if forced to choose, I think Rush is probably the best of the lot. While he's still doing the ol' political propaganda thing, it's not as stupid as the other three. We should tar and feather the lot.

The conservatives have quite the fair selection, and then we have their TV Bible thumpers..
But the liberals.....who do they have ?...on radio...?
PBS, but this IS "fair and balanced", as it is truthful.

Last edited:
So you're proudly proclaiming your ability to pass a drug test and thus why you're so much better than Rush Limbaugh and why its perfectly fine for you to make assumptions and call him a "druggie"....all because you simply can't afford to do an act that, by the way you phrased your comment, you'd be absolutely indulging in yourself still routinely?

Absolutely. Pot is not addictive and it does not drive you crazy like oxycontin does.

Who would you trust more if you had no choice? A pot head or somebody on hillbilly herion?

I'm a fine upstanding citizen with no police record of any kind, unlike Rush.

Last edited:
The conservatives have quite the fair selection, and then we have their TV Bible thumpers..
But the liberals.....who do they have ?...on radio...?
PBS, but this IS "fair and balanced", as it is truthful.

I see your point,... we have so many Conservative voices and all you libs have is the Presidency, the House and Senate,... a near veto-proof majority,.... and sympathetic press with Oberman, Stewart, Shultz, The View, that lesbian dude,... etc.

Wanna trade?

Absolutely. Pot is not addictive and it does not drive you crazy like oxycontin does.

Who would you trust more if you had no choice? A pot head or somebody on hillbilly herion?

I would taker the person who didn't have a holier-than-thou hypocritical attitude, myself. I don't care which drug he was using, be it full-blown heroin or just regular old alcohol.

I see your point,... we have so many Conservative voices and all you libs have is the Presidency, the House and Senate,... a near veto-proof majority,.... and sympathetic press with Oberman, Stewart, Shultz, The View, that lesbian dude,... etc.

Wanna trade?

Yes, we have the people who the majority voted for according to the rule of law.

Wanna trade?
Truthfully as someone who tries his best to listen to both sides I find very few on either side enjoyable(watchable/listenable).

On the right I don't mind Rush, O'Reilly, and Rivera. Also Hannity can be funny to watch although I feel that he is somewhat incompetent.

On the left I don't mind, Maddow, Shultz, Matthews, and Stewart(if you really want to call that news).

Overall it is much easier to get news/political views from newspapers such as the Washington Post and the WSJ, news magazines, and more than anything else just reading books. At least IMO.

I'm a fine upstanding citizen with no police record of any kind, unlike Rush.

Illegal substance is illegal substance. If Rush is a "druggie" for using in the past then so too would you be.`

But glad to know you rationalize out your reasons to insult people.

I would taker the person who didn't have a holier-than-thou hypocritical attitude, myself. I don't care which drug he was using, be it full-blown heroin or just regular old alcohol.

Well you'd have a hard time in his scenario then using the people he's referencing...as you have guy who regularly and continually did drugs but stopped only cause he can't purchase it anymore insulting someone and degrading them for being a 'druggie", and then you have a guy that thinks that punishments should be harsher for people on drugs yet took advantage of the law as they're written currently and got off with naught but a slap on the wrist.

Well you'd have a hard time in his scenario then using the people he's referencing...as you have guy who regularly and continually did drugs but stopped only cause he can't purchase it anymore insulting someone and degrading them for being a 'druggie", and then you have a guy that thinks that punishments should be harsher for people on drugs yet took advantage of the law as they're written currently and got off with naught but a slap on the wrist.

I don't consider pot a drug. I consider it an herb.

I don't do hard drugs and I don't even drink, so there.

I am not hypocritical about it. Hypocritical is when a person denies the truth.

I never claimed to be an angel and I am not trying to win any popularity contests. A person like Limbaugh is the hypocrite who claims to be "on loan from god". Before he got busted he was preaching that drug users should all be imprisoned.

I try to tell it like it is and not what everyone wants to hear.

I did not say I could not purchase it anymore. I said I did not purchase it because I can not afford it.. Even though I can not afford it, technically I could purchase it.

Back
Top Bottom