• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who is the Greatest President in your life time and why?

Did you read my previous post? I think Reagan was a pretty good President. The CSPAN presidential ranking list had Reagan at #9.
Yes, thought I responded properly to your post asking about immigration. That Immigration law was an agreement between the Democrats and Reagan in that illegal immigration and border enforcement would stop after the amnesty for about 2 million who paid a fine, qualified under the law by learning English and has been in this country at least 4 years. Congress then never authorized funding for border enforcement which impacted illegal entry into this country nor did they address the millions here after 1982 who remained here illegally. Reagan had the right idea but again you don't negotiate with Democrats as Democrats won't adhere to their commitments

If you use the following criteria:

Bipartisan compromise/cooperation
Economy
International relations/peace
Education reform
Gun safety legislation

Then it's Clinton.

*puts on old man hat* There is also probably some bias there because it feels like the 90s were the last really good decade in America.

Reagan, hands down. He was a great speaker and motivator, he won the cold war with the Iron Lady and Pope John Paul II.

Reagan supported terrorists in Nicaragua, a genocidal dictator in Guatemala, tried to oppose sanctions on apartheid South Africa and brought in a anti Semitic nutjob as one of his main advisors.

There are many polls on who you support for President in 2024 but haven't seen any that name the greatest President in your lifetime so how about it? Tell me who is your greatest President and why?

Mine has to be Reagan who took over an economy in a double dip recession with an extremely high misery index(inflation and unemployment). His economic policies started with the Recovery Act of 1981 and had ZERO gov't spending in it, total tax cuts for the American people leading to almost 17 million NEW jobs being created, inflation dropping under 4% from double digits, doubling GDP dollar growth on a budget that was 1 trillion dollars. Never benefited more from any President's economic policies and our foreign adversaries were put on notice leading to the tearing down of the Berlin Wall.

So rather than attack Reagan tell me your greatest President and why?
None they all suck. We need to remove the concentrated power from these assholes.

I can tell you the worst was ray goon. The best was Ike.

Didn't LBJ lie trick the American people into a greater conflict in Vietnam....the Gulf of Tonkin incident was a lie and it led to 50K unnecessary dead Americans in that worthless country.
Unless I'm mistaken, eisenhower, kennedy, johnson and nixon were all involved with the vietnam war. I do know nixon went behind the back of the president to speak to the enemy we were fighting in vietnam to ask them not to accept johnson's peace talks, he would give them a better deal after he was elected president and on went the war after he was elected.

There are many polls on who you support for President in 2024 but haven't seen any that name the greatest President in your lifetime so how about it? Tell me who is your greatest President and why?

Mine has to be Reagan who took over an economy in a double dip recession with an extremely high misery index(inflation and unemployment). His economic policies started with the Recovery Act of 1981 and had ZERO gov't spending in it, total tax cuts for the American people leading to almost 17 million NEW jobs being created, inflation dropping under 4% from double digits, doubling GDP dollar growth on a budget that was 1 trillion dollars. Never benefited more from any President's economic policies and our foreign adversaries were put on notice leading to the tearing down of the Berlin Wall.

Reagan. Hands down. Not even close.

Reagan's speeches were inspirational and there is no argument about it. He had both good and bad policies................ but at least he owned them.

George Bush Sr. was a decent man but the long knives ate him up.......................he sucked at offense.

Carter's policies were shit but America could see that he was a decent man. He got caught up in a political shit storm and was out of his league in my opinion.

Clinton was dragged into dealing with the political opposition but at least he did deal with the opposition................. He gets credit for that IMO.

Obama was a poser.....................and he owns the most poorly written social program in American history.

George Bush Jr. rode a long wave of low unemployment but he didn't do enough to combat the coming financial fallout.

Ford was a decent man but I don't think he wanted the job and it showed.

Nixon? ............................
**** Nixon! Paranoid piece of shit.

LBJ? .............................. A Racist **** who finally realized that the black vote could actually help his party.

Kennedy? ........................................... Pffffffft! Thanks for ramping up Vietnam you ****ing asshole.

Probably Reagan for me.

Yes, thought I responded properly to your post asking about immigration. That Immigration law was an agreement between the Democrats and Reagan in that illegal immigration and border enforcement would stop after the amnesty for about 2 million who paid a fine, qualified under the law by learning English and has been in this country at least 4 years. Congress then never authorized funding for border enforcement which impacted illegal entry into this country nor did they address the millions here after 1982 who remained here illegally. Reagan had the right idea but again you don't negotiate with Democrats as Democrats won't adhere to their commitments
You didn't say anything about immigration. I am not criticizing Reagan about immigration. My point here is what part of Reagan's presidency actually appeals to present Trumpican party?

Ok, I'll leave aside Reagan trashing the whole idea of government and financing mass murder in Central America.

As to faves, it is a hybrid of several presidents: JFK's inspiration, LBJ's food assistance, Medicare and civil rights support, Nixon signing legislation creating the EPA, Bush one ending Reagan's ugly asylum practices, Carter's non-hypocritical human rights policies that leading to the tearing down of the Berlin Wall, Obama's ACA and unifying rhetoric, W's actions post 9/11, Ike's interstate and elbowing McCarthy aside.

I tend to agree. Though I wonder if Reagan was good rather than great.

The most underrated imo is Truman. He had to take over from the absurdly pro Soviet and delusionary FDR who had treated him with contempt. Truman helped create NATO, saved Korea from the Communists - and saved the US from MacArthur.
Carter won the Cold War through his human rights policy. Reagan supported mass murder and terrorism in Central America, promised he would and then did go slow on civil rights enforcement, said things that Medicare would make us slaves, said absurd things like the most terrifying words in English were "I'm from the government and I am here to help you."

You didn't say anything about immigration. I am not criticizing Reagan about immigration. My point here is what part of Reagan's presidency actually appeals to present Trumpican party?
I cannot imagine Reagan insulting people as Trump does, though people used to laugh at his "stretchers," often harmless falsehoods, nowhere near the harmful lies that Trump tells. Where they are similar is their rhetorical, and in Reagan's case financial, support of human right abuses overseas.

Sorry, but WRONG, that isn't the role of the Federal gov't, whose only role is to PROVIDE for the Common defense and PROMOTE Domestic Welfare, Healthcare is a personal responsibility issue and that isn't in the Constitution
Sorry but WRONG - health care is part of the domestic welfare. Do you ever get tired of being wrong all of the time?

John F. Kennedy!

Who else?

It’s Donald Trump, the first president since Calvin Coolidge to fight against the regime for normal people.

Unless I'm mistaken, eisenhower, kennedy, johnson and nixon were all involved with the vietnam war. I do know nixon went behind the back of the president to speak to the enemy we were fighting in vietnam to ask them not to accept johnson's peace talks, he would give them a better deal after he was elected president and on went the war after he was elected.
An act of treason if ever there was.

Wow talk about partisan jibberish, Truman said the Buck stopped at the WH, Obama said the Buck never got to the WH
Thank goodness old personal responsibility Donald put a stop to that trend, eh?

Reagan supported terrorists in Nicaragua, a genocidal dictator in Guatemala, tried to oppose sanctions on apartheid South Africa and brought in a anti Semitic nutjob as one of his main advisors.
Sure he did in that fantasy anti American world in which you live. Wonder if this lady was talking to you and how many others in this forum

Thank goodness old personal responsibility Donald put a stop to that trend, eh?
Never said that Trump was my choice although his results were right up there with Reagan pre pandemic

1 Bush Sr.
Why, experience integrity values.
2 Biden
Why, experience integrity values. More important now than ever.
3 Ronnie
Why, the country needed a change in direction at the time. He redirected us.

It’s Donald Trump, the first president since Calvin Coolidge to fight against the regime for normal people.
Amazing isn't it all Trump allowed the average taxpayer too keep more of what they earned and people see that as pure Trump selfishness and promoting a massive gov't takeover

Back
Top Bottom