• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Who Is the Greatest Major Leaguer Ever?

Arts&Sciences

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I'll start another thread on Negro League players to discuss their disputed statistics, but among Major League players, who do you think is the greatest all-around player ever? I would say Willie Mays. I think that the best Major League pitcher ever was Walter Johnson. What is your opinion? Thank you very much.

Babe Ruth was the greatest of all Major League hitters, but he couldn't field. He was a good pitcher, but not as good as his statistics would make him appear, since the team that he pitched for (The Red Sox) gave him excellent defensive support. Moreover, with the exception of 1918, he was either a batter or a pitcher, so I count his merits as a hitter and as a pitcher separately.
Willie Mays is among the greatest hitters of all time- and he is also among the greatest fielders of all time. To me, to be the best all-around Major League player ever, one has to have no liabilities.

True, he wasn't terribly good in the field but I'm still sticking with him simply because he was a decent pitcher.

As for pitchers... I'm going with Lefty Grove with either Walter Johnson or Cy Young coming in a close second.

As I understand it, Lefty Grove had far better defensive support than Walter Johnson, which is why he has a higher adjusted ERA.

You're probably right. I'm not really a baseball guru, I just calls em like I sees em. :2wave:

Ty Cobb
Mickey Mantle
Willie Mays
Babe Ruth
Ted Williams

Old and wise said:
Who cares?:rofl

Just because you don't doesn't mean millions of other Americans don't. You should know that, Old and wise.

I use a formula based on dividing total bases by outs and using range factor as a defensive measurement, though I do recognize the imperfections of the latter (e.g. Dick Stuart). For pitchers, since defensive support is so hard to measure, I work on the assumption that pitchers with higher winning percentages relative to their adjusted ERA's had better defensive help. My formulae will need some refinement, but I can say with certainty that based on them Willie Mays is the greatest Major League player of all time and Walter Johnson is the best Major League pitcher ever.

Old and wise said:
Who cares?:rofl

Damn, you cared enough to come here and post. What a window into your personality. Old and bitter is more like it. I think we have all learned a whole lot about you here.

Babe Ruth. A pitcher that hits homers? If there was such a guy these days can you imagine his contract? Who would get more? And how famous would he be? Rival Jordon for sure.

And old and wise, DP's newest member has something he would like to say to you.

Attachments

• My guys 076.JPG
    My guys 076.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 3
Albert Pujols will certainly be proven to be the greatest, He's already proved it in his 1st 5 years...no one comes close to what this man has accomplished in their first 5 years...no one.

Baseball is a sport where the statistics take on a greater meaning than other sports. So going with statistics I'd choose Ruth.

But if I base it on a player I saw in person I'd have to say as a hitter it's Mantle. I saw him in his prime and he was something to see.

Willie Mays is the greatest player. Pujols isn't a great fielder, but may become one of the most prolific hitters (without roids). Roger Clemens is the best pitcher of all time. Once you adjust the batters he faces that are juiced up and have the benefit of studying hitting and practicing year round. He faces the best hitters (era-wise) and still produces, he keeps getting better. He also is the man when the pressure is on.

Originally posted by Inuyasha:
But if I base it on a player I saw in person I'd have to say as a hitter it's Mantle. I saw him in his prime and he was something to see.
What I liked about Mantle was when he hit home runs, he hit them far. He hit some of the longest home runs ever. He hit them like that 450 footer Bo Jackson hit at KC stadium. Mantle hit the turnstile at Detroit Cobo field and people that saw it said it was still on its way "UP!"

Back
Top Bottom