• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who is the future of the Republican Party?

What Republican Leaders will have the most influence in the GOP?

• Total voters

Burning Giraffe

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
The biggest question for the Republican Party is who will lead it. Will it be the Status Quo, with Neo-Conservatives and Corporatists like Mitt Romney or Rick Perry? Will Reagan Conservatives like Erik Cantor and Paul Ryan rise in the Republican Leadership? Will conservative libertarians like Ron Paul and Rand Paul rise to power within the party?

My guess is that it will be somewhat Libertarian candidates like Rand Paul (I say somewhat because he's still all for Medicare - since he's a doctor making money off of it).

Although, I'd like to note this irony: that he complained about the "elites in charge" in his victory speech that he gave from the private and exclusive Bowling Green Country Club. Membership is $2,500 + $270/month + a minimum food and beverage purchase of $50/month or $6340 per year in a city where the average income is about $34,000.

Further proving the people have no real idea how to use the word "elite".

I don't know who will but I hope it's Romney or Paul/Paul

Why do so many people see a future for Mitt Romney? I mean, I think he would manage the bureaucracy well. But he's still a neo-con.

The better question about its future is not who is going to lead it but how will it deal with its ideological purity test. Eliminating moderates and centrists is not a long term prospect for longevity. In some odd ways, the Republican infighting is like the French Revolution. Played up by the GOP in office, it is now consuming them one by one.

I voted Romney and Other

Romney and Pauls Im guessing are the most popular but I dont think they challenge the Dems in 3 years unless a major scandal happens or all the doom and gloom comes true.

I think Allan West should be put on the list has he could get major push

Please remove Palin from the list has she isnt even realistic on a large scale she only a voice and mascot

In my opinion the Republican Party has to do a couple things, stop being so partisan. Not only towards the Dems and other parties but also inside their own walls, never seen the party so united and divided at the same time. If they clean this up they will have better success.

In my opinion the Republican Party has to do a couple things, stop being so partisan. Not only towards the Dems and other parties but also inside their own walls, never seen the party so united and divided at the same time. If they clean this up they will have better success.

The Republican Party has a pretty big tent and after their reckless behavior while they were in power followed by their humiliating defeat in 2006, the GOP has been in turmoil, trying to figure out which direction to go. The Tea Party protests set a precedent for the direction much of the GOP took. Many people rushed to the Ron Paul (libertarian) camp. Many people started looking for a serious moderate who could offer real solutions and be taken seriously by both moderates and conservatives, which looks to be Mitt Romney and Tim Pawlenty. Still, the conservative, Hannity-watching, camp of Tea Party crowd is very much behind Sarah Palin.

As much as I like her personally, I still don't think she has a chance. But some people still take her seriously.

For me, I'm looking at Paul Ryan and Eric Cantor. They are young, very smart, very sensible, and extremely pro-active. They actually put their name to pieces of legislation that address the most important issues facing this nation. I hope one of them runs for President - even if they aren't the nominee, at least the Republican Primary will be issue-driven and not merely rhetoric trying to appeal to the different groups within the GOP.

Where's McDonnell?

My guess is that it will be somewhat Libertarian candidates like Rand Paul (I say somewhat because he's still all for Medicare - since he's a doctor making money off of it).

Although, I'd like to note this irony: that he complained about the "elites in charge" in his victory speech that he gave from the private and exclusive Bowling Green Country Club. Membership is $2,500 + $270/month + a minimum food and beverage purchase of $50/month or $6340 per year in a city where the average income is about $34,000.

Further proving the people have no real idea how to use the word "elite".

He IS an eye doctor. I'd expect him to be in an upper income category.

1. I used to live in Reston, Va. I miss it.
2. McDonnell is untested. I'm not even sure he'd win in Virginia if he was the nominee.

What position are we talking about?

I live in Reston! Nice place!

The biggest question for the Republican Party is who will lead it. Will it be the Status Quo, with Neo-Conservatives and Corporatists like Mitt Romney or Rick Perry? Will Reagan Conservatives like Erik Cantor and Paul Ryan rise in the Republican Leadership? Will conservative libertarians like Ron Paul and Rand Paul rise to power within the party?

I'd like to see Paul Ryan go forward as a leader but I haven't checked him out completely to take a stand by him.

So far though he has offered solutions to controlling our fiscal woes and I think that is a good step in the right direction.

To be honest with you, I think they all are the future of the Republican Party.

We have a two-party system, and the only reason why we do is because we have a winner-take-all electoral system. That's Duverger's Law because it leads to a political system that tries to get rid of third parties that spoil the vote. Hence why we have libertarians, neoconservatives, paleoconservatives, and Christian conservatives all in one party.

So what I think is that those people will become leaders of the various "factions" within the GOP. Maybe this will show the GOP as once again becoming a "big tent" party that it needs to be in order to successfully compete with the Democratic Party, which is so big tent it has it's own group of conservatives within it.

I think this is healthy, because I don't think any one particular faction should have so much power in government. Unfortunately, as the GOP's big tent becomes bigger, get ready for accusations of RINO being thrown around with abandon.

To be honest with you, I think they all are the future of the Republican Party.

We have a two-party system, and the only reason why we do is because we have a winner-take-all electoral system. That's Duverger's Law because it leads to a political system that tries to get rid of third parties that spoil the vote. Hence why we have libertarians, neoconservatives, paleoconservatives, and Christian conservatives all in one party.

So what I think is that those people will become leaders of the various "factions" within the GOP. Maybe this will show the GOP as once again becoming a "big tent" party that it needs to be in order to successfully compete with the Democratic Party, which is so big tent it has it's own group of conservatives within it.
Where? Because I don't see any conservatives in the Democrat party. Even so-called "Blue dogs" are really lap dogs for Madam Pelosi and Co.

I think this is healthy, because I don't think any one particular faction should have so much power in government. Unfortunately, as the GOP's big tent becomes bigger, get ready for accusations of RINO being thrown around with abandon.
I beg to differ. Both parties are starting to shift away from the center, and that is actually good because it would force people to take sides.

BTW, I would love to see Gov. Chris Christie make a run.

The Republican Party has a pretty big tent and after their reckless behavior while they were in power followed by their humiliating defeat in 2006, the GOP has been in turmoil, trying to figure out which direction to go. The Tea Party protests set a precedent for the direction much of the GOP took. Many people rushed to the Ron Paul (libertarian) camp. Many people started looking for a serious moderate who could offer real solutions and be taken seriously by both moderates and conservatives, which looks to be Mitt Romney and Tim Pawlenty. Still, the conservative, Hannity-watching, camp of Tea Party crowd is very much behind Sarah Palin.

As much as I like her personally, I still don't think she has a chance. But some people still take her seriously.

For me, I'm looking at Paul Ryan and Eric Cantor. They are young, very smart, very sensible, and extremely pro-active. They actually put their name to pieces of legislation that address the most important issues facing this nation. I hope one of them runs for President - even if they aren't the nominee, at least the Republican Primary will be issue-driven and not merely rhetoric trying to appeal to the different groups within the GOP.

well IMO the GOP and or Tea party would be smart if they distanced themselves far from the extremist, racist and of course palin, IMO she will doom anything she touches. To each their own but I just cant take any one serious that takes her serious. Shes a mascot, joke, a glich and nothing more but hey thats just my opinion. I like certain members of the tea party, very elegant speakers and well thought out are some of their views its just to bad they are littered with extremist and racist that pollute and dilute them. And unfortunately in this media crazy world thats what gets the coverage. Once you throw Palin in the mix, well, any hope I had for them basically did everything but disappear.

I would hope Rand Paul, Ron Paul, or Gary Johnson are the future leaders of the Republican Party. I don't agree with them on some of the economic issues, but they reject authoritarianism and embrace liberty. This is what we need.

Both parties are starting to shift away from the center, and that is actually good because it would force people to take sides.

I dont think thats good at all especially if the rep party drowns our its minority(not race) opinions which it is currently doing. They stand united but inside are divided IMO it doesnt get any more counter productive than that. Because they still remain partisan even inside their ranks and who ever is at the front forces their views on the rest.

I really hope it's someone like Paul Ryan. He's extremely intelligent, and actually has constructive ideas, although I disagree with him on most issues.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling the future of the Republican Party is going to be Sarah Palin and her ilk. She may lose the 2012 primary to Mitt Romney, but I think that her mindset (populism, anti-elitism, pro-ignorance) is coming to represent a larger fraction of the GOP.

I hope I'm wrong. Only time will tell.

I really hope it's someone like Paul Ryan. He's extremely intelligent, and actually has constructive ideas, although I disagree with him on most issues.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling the future of the Republican Party is going to be Sarah Palin and her ilk. She may lose the 2012 primary to Mitt Romney, but I think that her mindset (populism, anti-elitism, pro-ignorance) is coming to represent a larger fraction of the GOP.

I hope I'm wrong. Only time will tell.

I like him too.

The problem is that he's sort of a numbers guy and people generally don't listen to that.
Like you said populism will reign supreme for the Republicans.

I personally think the Republicans need to focus on working from the ground up, if they want to be successful. A new president won't take office and start working for about 3 years. The better focus is Senate/house seats(both state and federal) and governorships. If you want to stop legislation from coming to fruition, you start there.

Forget all this "star" crap and just get to work. That goes for either party.

I personally think the Republicans need to focus on working from the ground up, if they want to be successful. A new president won't take office and start working for about 3 years. The better focus is Senate/house seats(both state and federal) and governorships. If you want to stop legislation from coming to fruition, you start there.

Forget all this "star" crap and just get to work. That goes for either party.

this is a very good idea and I agree for either party, your thinkin outside the box I just answered the question but I could agree more its also why I laugh when extreme righties were attacking obama just months in LOL it does take time, 2 years minimum usually and thats being nice

Back
Top Bottom