• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who is responsible for Foxconn?

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The Foxconn deal no matter what Trump says is going South. This deal was made over the objections of the Dems in Wisconsin who worried about Foxconn's history of not fulfilling their promises on other deals they have made. Now that the deal is going South the GOP, which still controls the Wisco legislature, their leadership in Wisconsin are saying that it is now the new Dem Governors Ever's problem, not theirs. It reminds me of the GOP after Obama was elected President saying that the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq were now Obama's wars, like Bush and the GOP had nothing to ever do with starting them. So instead of trying to help the new Dem Governor of Wisco solve a problem that they, the GOP and Walker created, they want to step back and blame the whole thing on Evers and the Dems. I guess my feeling is if you broke it, you fix it. This is especially true since the GOP does control the legislature where a fix should start. What do you think?

The Foxconn deal no matter what Trump says is going South. This deal was made over the objections of the Dems in Wisconsin who worried about Foxconn's history of not fulfilling their promises on other deals they have made. Now that the deal is going South the GOP, which still controls the Wisco legislature, their leadership in Wisconsin are saying that it is now the new Dem Governors Ever's problem, not theirs. It reminds me of the GOP after Obama was elected President saying that the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq were now Obama's wars, like Bush and the GOP had nothing to ever do with starting them. So instead of trying to help the new Dem Governor of Wisco solve a problem that they, the GOP and Walker created, they want to step back and blame the whole thing on Evers and the Dems. I guess my feeling is if you broke it, you fix it. This is especially true since the GOP does control the legislature where a fix should start. What do you think?

Always have thought that the blame game,be it in politics or business is for losers. The most important thing to do when something goes south is fixing the problem. Then you want to understand what went wrong,could/should it have been anticipated and only then assign blame if any is appropriate.

Don't know the specifics of what happened or how this have been avoided. If I remember correctly this was to assemble I-Phones here. I am sure apple has a bunch of input as to what Foxconn does or does not do.

As to who should try to solve whatever the problem is, most reasonable people would expect a leader to lead. Not that hard. Not sure why partisans want to change the ways things are done depending on which "side" is in office.

It's always the current guy's problem (Unless your name is Obama, of course. Then it's Bush's fault.). If the Dem Governor cannot deal with it, perhaps he's not the right guy for the job.

The deal was made / money was given away by Walker and the GOP legislature. That isn't changing. What the new governor can do about it, I'm not sure, but he and the legislature need to make the best of it.

Walker lost his job because the voters found out Foxconn has pulled this con game many other times, and on many other countries/people.

They will never build a manufacturing plant in Wisconsin. Last week they flat out admitted they can't make a flat screen here and be competitive. They'll just keep stalling and playing Trump until he's gone, then thanks to the GOP and Walker they'll take the Wisconsin's tax payers money and disappear.

Always have thought that the blame game,be it in politics or business is for losers. The most important thing to do when something goes south is fixing the problem. Then you want to understand what went wrong,could/should it have been anticipated and only then assign blame if any is appropriate.

Don't know the specifics of what happened or how this have been avoided. If I remember correctly this was to assemble I-Phones here. I am sure apple has a bunch of input as to what Foxconn does or does not do.

As to who should try to solve whatever the problem is, most reasonable people would expect a leader to lead. Not that hard. Not sure why partisans want to change the ways things are done depending on which "side" is in office.

Actually it started out to make the screens for Iphones, then went to LCD screens for tV's and now it is as kind of an R&D and administration. In the end it will nothing at all. Everws has said he wants to end the deal and I hope the GOP controlled legislature will go along. One problem is that after the recent elction, the GOP controlled legislature and Walker took away most of the powers of the next governor since he was going to be a Dem. I do not know what power Ever's has to actully do anything about the Foxconn problem.

Foxconn is a company that i would boycott if i could. unfortunately, they make pretty much everything with a screen.

It's always the current guy's problem (Unless your name is Obama, of course. Then it's Bush's fault.). If the Dem Governor cannot deal with it, perhaps he's not the right guy for the job.

I do not know what the present governor can do as the GOP and Walker right after the recent election stripped away many of the new governor's powers. They said it was because they did not want the new Dem governor changing the conservative road that the GOP and Walker had put the state on. There are court challenges to the changes, but most have not wound therir way through the courts yet. Until then it limits considerably the rights of the present governor to do much.

Actually it started out to make the screens for Iphones, then went to LCD screens for tV's and now it is as kind of an R&D and administration. In the end it will nothing at all. Everws has said he wants to end the deal and I hope the GOP controlled legislature will go along. One problem is that after the recent elction, the GOP controlled legislature and Walker took away most of the powers of the next governor since he was going to be a Dem. I do not know what power Ever's has to actully do anything about the Foxconn problem.

Sounds like Foxconn renaged. If that is the case Ever's as leader should propose a solution. Probably take away what was previously agreed to and the legislature should work toward the best and most legal way to do that. It is not unusual for a gov. or pres. to send proposed legislation to the congress.

Sounds like Foxconn renaged. If that is the case Ever's as leader should propose a solution. Probably take away what was previously agreed to and the legislature should work toward the best and most legal way to do that. It is not unusual for a gov. or pres. to send proposed legislation to the congress.

Never going to happen.. Wisconsin's legislature is GOP.. Trump and the GOP are fully onboard with Foxconn's lies and con job.

For them to backtrack now would mean they, including Trump, was conned and wrong about Foxconn.. Trump never ever admits he's wrong. The GOP never ever stands up to Trump.

Never going to happen.

The Wisconsin taxpayers are just going to have to eat walker's and Trump's lies.

Never going to happen.. Wisconsin's legislature is GOP.. Trump and the GOP are fully onboard with Foxconn's lies and con job.

For them to backtrack now would mean they, including Trump, was conned and wrong about Foxconn.. Trump never ever admits he's wrong. The GOP never ever stands up to Trump.

Never going to happen.

The Wisconsin taxpayers are just going to have to eat walker's and Trump's lies.

Really sad reading from folks with the TDS disease. This is a state issue. That is where it will or will not get fixed. No reasonable person would say that Trump controls the government of Wisc.

The bolded has alway frosted me. In every place I have ever worked as an employee, when something goes sideways, the powers that be play “last one with the ball gets the blame.” The solution to the problem is always sought after someone has been hung out to dry......

Really sad reading from folks with the TDS disease.

You do know that TDS now refers to Trump and his Trumpers … right?

Tiny Dick Syndrome

5c54598f61ded.image.jpg

You do know that TDS now refers to Trump and his Trumpers … right?

Tiny Dick Syndrome

I am always impressed by your wealth of knowledge and debate skills. Perhaps there will be a time when such filth is erased from this site. Maybe it could even be a true debate site.

The good news is we all get to put those not interested in honest debate on ignore. So no use responding as I will not be able to see whatever you post.

Really sad reading from folks with the TDS disease. This is a state issue. That is where it will or will not get fixed. No reasonable person would say that Trump controls the government of Wisc.

You do know that YOU are the one who mentioned the president.. Right? Your quote:

It is not unusual for a gov. or pres. to send proposed legislation to the congress.

And you do know that Trump is pictured with Foxconn, 'breaking ground' for a plant that will never happen.. And he just talked to Foxconn to get them to supposedly change their minds about building a manufacturing plant in Wisconsin. something that they probably have no intention of doing since just last week they said they can't build screens here and be competitive.

So yeah, Trump is right in the middle of this.

That's exactly what I tell my neighbor when my dog takes a crap in their yard.

The Foxconn Boondoggle Was Even Worse Than We Thought

Let’s start with a confession. Earlier this week when Andrew Egger compared the unraveling Foxconn deal to the operatically shambolic Fyre festival, I worried that the comparison was unfair. My bad.

Now comes an extraordinary deep dive investigation by Bloomberg BusinessWeek that paints a stunning picture of a politically driven deal that is melting down. While Foxconn’s story lacks the drama and supermodels of the Fyre festival, it more than makes up it for by the scale of its boondoggle. Touted as the “Eighth Wonder of the World,’; and the “one of the great deals ever” by President Trump, Foxconn has become a $4.5 billion cautionary tale of the dangers of corporate welfare and Trumpian industrial policy.

Despite repeated promises and an avalanche of taxpayer cash and hype, no one now expects the company to create anywhere near the 13,000 jobs that were promised. In fact, those promises appear to have been hollow from the beginning.

snip.

Like other cases of corporate welfare (think Amazon’s HQ2 madness), the deal was driven by a bidding war with other states who vied with one another in offering taxpayer subsidies to the massively profitable Taiwanese company. So, ultimately, the deal was shaped more by politics than market forces, and therein lay the problem.

Despite railing against government “picking winners and losers,” Trump and Wisconsin Republicans embraced a version of state capitalism or corporatism where the lines between politics and the free market were erased. Dumb and reckless decisions followed.

As Carr’s story makes clear, the Foxconn deal was, from the start, always “nakedly political.” Fittingly enough, it all began with a call to Wisconsin’s lead jobs agency from the office of boy genius Jared Kushner, who pushed the idea.

Goaded by Trump, Wisconsin’s GOP found the deal irresistible, even to the point of ignoring Foxconn’s problematic track record:

Foxconn has a history of overpromising and underdelivering on major deals. In Brazil in 2011 and India in 2015, it pledged to invest billions of dollars and create tens of thousands of jobs after [Foxconn Chairman Terry] Gou courted each country’s leaders, but each project fell far short. In 2013, Foxconn said it would invest $30 million and employ as many as 500 people at a Pennsylvania factory that also never fully materialized. Multiple former executives say Gou makes big promises to secure favorable terms and is unsentimental about reneging on or abandoning them as costs dictate.

In contrast with Gou, I’m sorry to say, my fellow Wisconsinites come off looking like rubes.

“My impression of him was, what a nice person,” says Scott Neitzel, who led negotiations for the Walker administration. “An extremely genuine, down-to-earth tycoon.” When asked if the state looked at Foxconn’s history, WEDC Chief Executive Officer Mark Hogan says, “We didn’t spend a lot of time on that because, in the end, we got to know these people so well.”

Apparently not. In late January, Gou’s right-hand man, Louis Woo, told Reuters that Foxconn was planning to downsize the planned LCD plant, shifting their plans from manufacturing to research.

“In terms of TV, we have no place in the U.S.,” he said. “We can’t compete.”

Foxconn walked that back after a phone call between Gou and Trump, saying that “after productive discussions,” Foxconn was “moving forward with our planned construction of a Gen 6 fab facility, which will be at the heart of the Wisconn Valley Science and Technology Park. This campus will serve both as an advanced manufacturing facility as well as a hub of high technology innovation for the region.”

As Egger noted here on The Bulwark, this sounded good, “except that it doesn’t address Foxconn’s central problem: the competitive disadvantage of hiring manufacturing jobs in the U.S.”

Once again, the statement seemed driven more by a desire to kiss the president’s ring than by business realities. So what will Foxconn do? Short term, they are likely to maintain a sort of Trumpian Potemkin village in Wisconsin to keep up the appearance that the company is doing Trump’s bidding. But almost everyone Carr spoke to for his article “predicted there will never be anywhere near 13,000 workers in Wisconsin Valley.”

Politics, as it turns out, is a poor substitute for the free market. Republicans used to know that. Now they are paying the price for forgetting it.

https://thebulwark.com/the-foxconn-boondoggle-was-even-worse-than-we-thought/

Bush's administration crashed the economy, brought the stock market down from over twelve thousand to six thousand five hundred by the time Obama took over. Walker would have given foxconn billions in tax breaks and somehow these decisions made by republicans are the dems fault for being elected after the damage was done. Nice.

You do know that YOU are the one who mentioned the president.. Right? Your quote:

And you do know that Trump is pictured with Foxconn, 'breaking ground' for a plant that will never happen.. And he just talked to Foxconn to get them to supposedly change their minds about building a manufacturing plant in Wisconsin. something that they probably have no intention of doing since just last week they said they can't build screens here and be competitive.

So yeah, Trump is right in the middle of this.

Ya' gotta' love their detachment from reality while they scream about syndromes that others have.

Bush's administration crashed the economy, brought the stock market down from over twelve thousand to six thousand five hundred by the time Obama took over. Walker would have given foxconn billions in tax breaks and somehow these decisions made by republicans are the dems fault for being elected after the damage was done. Nice.

I said nothing about "fault". I spoke about who's problem this is.

So...not only are you playing "whatabout" by talking about something totally irrelevant, you aren't even perceptive enough to understand what you are responding to...or, more likely, you are just deflecting on purpose. This wouldn't be your first time trotting out that tactic.

Walker would have given foxconn billions in tax breaks and somehow these decisions made by republicans are the dems fault for being elected after the damage was done. Nice.

AND while Walker was a lame duck and gong out the door he, and the Wisconsin REPUBLICAN legislature passed a bunch of laws and bills making it MUCH harder for the incoming Dem Wis. governor to deal with Foxconn and back out of the deal.

I said nothing about "fault". I spoke about who's problem this is.

So...not only are you playing "whatabout" by talking about something totally irrelevant, you aren't even perceptive enough to understand what you are responding to...or, more likely, you are just deflecting on purpose. This wouldn't be your first time trotting out that tactic.

My tactic is to call you on your bs liberal hating rants.

AND while Walker was a lame duck and gong out the door he, and the Wisconsin REPUBLICAN legislature passed a bunch of laws and bills making it MUCH harder for the incoming Dem Wis. governor to deal with Foxconn and back out of the deal.

I am aware.

I am aware.

I'm sure you are. But the Conservatives in this thread who are saying it's now all the Dem governor's problem and Walker is blameless obviously are NOT aware. They don't to know, or care the Wisconsin Republicans purposely weakened Evers hand when dealing with Foxconn.

Back
Top Bottom