• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who Is Rep.-Elect George Santos? His Résumé May Be Largely Fiction.

Absolutely. That's why a free and unbiased press that challenges our elected officials is so important.
Because a major political party has become a cesspool of conmen and liars and they don't care if their candidates lie to voters or take money from Russians in order to win? That is very sad,

The media doesn't usually fail to fully vett Republicans. Neither Obama or Biden would have been president had it done its job.

Are those calling for Santos to be removed election deniers?
No they are asking for the Republicans to show they are not a bunch of conmen and liars. Blatant lying to voters in order to win an election is not how a major political party should behave. Have they no shame? Apparently not.

"Mr. Santos, a Republican from New York, says he’s the “embodiment of the American dream.” But he seems to have misrepresented a number of his career highlights."

Yes, just a little. Adapted from the article:
  • Santos claimed he founded Friends of Pets United, which was, per Santos, a tax-exempt organization. It existed for a time, and, taking a page from Donald Trump's playbook, held at least one fundraiser, charging $50 per entry. But the event’s beneficiary, who asked for anonymity for fear of retribution, said that she never received any of the funds, with Santos only offering repeated excuses for not forwarding the money. The Internal Revenue Service could locate no record of a registered charity with that name.
So, a little exaggeration. A little grift. Anything else? Well, yes:
  • Santos claimed his considerable wealth came from his family's real estate business. But it remains a great mystery. The Times could not find, any records of his properties.
  • In 2008, when Santos was 19, he stole the checkbook of a man his mother was caring for, according to Brazilian court records uncovered by The Times. The court and local prosecutor in Brazil confirmed the case remains unresolved. Santos did not respond to an official summons, and a court representative could not find him at his given address.
  • That period in Brazil overlapped with when Mr. Santos said he was attending Baruch College, where he has said he was awarded a bachelor’s degree in economics and finance. But Baruch College said it could not find records of Santos having graduated in 2010, as he claimed.
  • Santos also claimed to have studied at New York University. An N.Y.U. spokesman found no attendance records matching his name and birth date.
  • Santos claimed to have worked at Citigroup as “an associate asset manager” in the company’s real estate division. A Citigroup spokeswoman said the company could not confirm Mr. Santos’s employment. She also said she was unfamiliar with Mr. Santos’s self-described job title and noted that Citi had sold off its asset management operations in 2005.
  • Santos claimed he worked briefly at Goldman Sachs. A spokeswoman at Goldman Sachs said she could not locate any record of Mr. Santos’s having worked at the company.
  • Santos was forcibly evicted from apartments twice between 2015 and 2017. The second time a warrant of eviction was issued, and Mr. Santos was fined $12,208 in a civil judgment.
  • Mr. Santos did not respond to repeated requests from The Times that he furnish either documents or a résumé with dates that would help to substantiate the claims he made on the campaign trail. He also declined to be interviewed, and neither his lawyer nor Big Dog Strategies, a Republican-oriented political consulting group that handles crisis management, responded to a detailed list of questions.

Those who voted for him don't and won't care.

They care about 3 things.

Does he hate America? If yes, they are good.
Does he put his party before his family and country? If yes, they are good.
Is he willing to lie to get what he wants? If yes, they are good.

If you can check those 3 boxes the Maga folk will vote for you.

Bonus points if he lies and pretends to be a Christian like all Maga folk

I appreciate you starting the thread from the beginning, but you might work your way toward the end before replying to every post along the way.
Is that really necessary? I jumped to the last page of the thread and you're still making the same stupid arguments:

Absolutely. That's why a free and unbiased press that challenges our elected officials is so important.

No they are asking for the Republicans to show they are not a bunch of conmen and liars. Blatant lying to voters in order to win an election is not how a major political party should behave. Have they no shame? Apparently not.

It is OK for Democrats to lie to get elected? Have you no shame?

Sant
It is OK for Democrats to lie to get elected? Have you no shame?
Santos is not a Democrat and no they would not stay silent if he was. The GOP has become the party of conmen and liars and you are proud of it.

And we have the opposite and the concern is selective.

Because a major political party has become a cesspool of conmen and liars and they don't care if their candidates lie to voters or take money from Russians in order to win? That is very sad,
That could describe either of the major political parties.

But yes, both parties are a cesspool of conmen and liars and we rely on a free press to shed sunlight on their flaws to help keep them honest.

Is that really necessary? I jumped to the last page of the thread and you're still making the same stupid arguments:
Yes. Go to the end.

And it's a good argument. :) Do you not think the press is necessary to keep politicians honest?

Sant

Santos is not a Democrat and no they would not stay silent if he was. The GOP has become the party of conmen and liars and you are proud of it.
He's trying to prove his bona fides.

Reactions: jpn
That could describe either of the major political parties.

But yes, both parties are a cesspool of conmen and liars and we rely on a free press to shed sunlight on their flaws to help keep them honest.
Not really. The GOP with the guidance of the one term mistake have taken lying to a new level and they have embraced it as a tactic to win elections.We rely on the party to not want to be associated with serial liars and the GOP has failed at that.

Not really. The GOP with the guidance of the one term mistake have taken lying to a new level and they have embraced it as a tactic to win elections.We rely on the party to not want to be associated with serial liars and the GOP has failed at that.
One of your most prolific liars was elected. Do you excuse him simply because of his failing mental state? That won't fly because he's been lying his scrawny ass off for many years.

One of your most prolific liars was elected. Do you excuse him simply because of his failing mental state? That won't fly because he's been lying his scrawny ass off for many years.
Biden certainly didn't lie about what he was going to do as President. He has already done most of it in 2 years even with hair thin majorities. That is why you hate him so.

If you think so, you are wearing the partisan blinders tightly. Great example - you only have to go back to the last election and see the hunter Biden stuff being declared 'Russian disinformation,' because it was embarrassing to Biden. Or the 'steele dossier' before that.

Democrats are not the saintly figures you think. And Santos is one guy. Painting the whole party with run brush is silly.

... we don't have a free and unbiased press that challenges our elected officials and if they ever do they select who they challenge.
We don't - but we should expect more. It's foolish to think either party is going to point out the flaws with their own candidates.

If you think so, you are wearing the partisan blinders tightly. Great example - you only have to go back to the last election and see the hunter Biden stuff being declared 'Russian disinformation,' because it was embarrassing to Biden. Or the 'steele dossier' before that.

Democrats are not the saintly figures you think. And Santos is one guy. Painting the whole party with run brush is silly.
Santos is one guy, but he is a bad guy (or I would so define anyone who isn't Jewish running on the words "I am a proud Jew."). Let's see how the whole party treats the situation. If we see him on committees we'll know how wide the blame should go.

Yes. Go to the end.

And it's a good argument. :) Do you not think the press is necessary to keep politicians honest?

I think you're trying to turn this thread into something it isn't, and embarrassing yourself in the process.

No one cares about Hunter's laptop and the Steele dossier correctly revealed that Putin was helping Trump win the 2016 election. We should always remember that.
No one is a "saint" but we do have people that do not sell out to our enemies still. If the GOP is not all like Santos then why the silence?

I think you're trying to turn this thread into something it isn't, and [ad hominem removed]
You missed a lot of discussion in the middle, and seem intent on deflection.

Is there a specific concern or question that you have?

Biden certainly didn't lie about what he was going to do as President. He has already done most of it in 2 years even with hair thin majorities. That is why you hate him so.
“I will take care of this,” “I will end this. I’m going to shut down the virus, not the country.”
“I don’t think [vaccine mandates] should be mandatory.”
“No new taxes” for Americans making less than $400,000
“We will not conduct a hasty rush to the exit [out of Afghanistan]. We’ll do it — we’ll do it responsibly, deliberately, and safely.”
“We’re going to stay until we get [all Americans] out [of Afghanistan].”
“[I will] end the opioid crisis.”
“I will not…use the Justice Department as my vehicle to insist that something happen.”
"You're not going to get COVID if you have these vaccinations,"
"... How about making sure that you’re vaccinated, so you do not spread the disease to anyone else."
“It was horrible to see. To see people treated like they did? Horses running them over? People being strapped? It’s outrageous,”
---------- I like when he was asked why is the border more overwhelmed under his watch and he answered ---------
“Cause there are three countries that never have …there are fewer … fewer immigrants coming from Central America and Mexico. It’s a totally different circumstance. What’s on my watch now is Venezuela, Cuba, and Nicaragua. And the ability to send them back to those states is not rational. We can send them back and have them [unintelligible]. We’re working with Mexico and other countries to stop the flow. That’s the difference. Thank you.”
Was that a lie? Not sure. Was it the ramblings of an addled old coot. oh yeah.

No one cares about Hunter's laptop and the Steele dossier correctly revealed that Putin was helping Trump win the 2016 election. We should always remember that.
No one is a "saint" but we do have people that do not sell out to our enemies still. If the GOP is not all like Santos then why the silence?
The Biden crime family does.

Actually, I think you are behind on these. Neither was Russian disinformation. The laptop is real - and the deflection to 'russian disinformation - including by Joe Biden - was a lie. The Steele dossier was marketed by a lawyer working for the Clinton campaign - and was disinformation. Both examples of dirty politicking and lying by democrats.

Back
Top Bottom