• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who is receiving abortions in the U.S. ?

Logician Man

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
This is a learning thread for me. Does anyone have any credible,factual,provable links that provide the demographics, particularly, ethnic groups, religious affiliation, and political affiliation as to who is actually receiving abortions in the U.S ? I ask because I see a lot of folks who identify as conservatives pointing fingers at certain groups without actually supporting their claims with actual facts to support said allegations. Thanks in advance.

Mostly old white men

(sorry couldn't help myself)

The average pro-birth supporter is a 34 year old, white, caucasian, unmarried male.

Now.

Tell me why I should give one ounce of **** what a bunch of unmarried men have to say about abortion.

The average pro-birth supporter is a 34 year old, white, caucasian, unmarried male.

Now.

Tell me why I should give one ounce of **** what a bunch of unmarried men have to say about abortion.

You're really dicing that a little fine arncha'? The reality is women also oppose abortion. Abortion support is "mainly" in blue states. Abortion opposition is "mostly" in red states.

Liberals "largely" abort their unintended pregnancies. Conservatives "largely" don't.

States that are more opposed to abortion rights have fewer abortions — but not fewer unintended pregnancies

From your Guttmacher source. I've highlighted a rather revealing aspect of abortion in America. One I find, telling..

WHO HAS ABORTIONS?

More than half of all U.S. abortion patients in 2014 were in their 20s: Patients aged 20–24 obtained 34% of all abortions, and patients aged 25–29 obtained 27%.6

Twelve percent of abortion patients in 2014 were adolescents: Those aged 18–19 accounted for 8% of all abortions, 15–17-year-olds for 3% and those younger than 15 for 0.2%.6

White patients accounted for 39% of abortion procedures in 2014, blacks for 28%, Hispanics for 25% and patients of other races and ethnicities for 9%.6

Seventeen percent of abortion patients in 2014 identified as mainline Protestant, 13% as evangelical Protestant and 24% as Catholic; 38% reported no religious affiliation and the remaining 8% reported some other affiliation.6

The vast majority (94%) of abortion patients in 2014 identified as heterosexual or straight. Four percent of patients said they were bisexual, while 0.3% identified as homosexual, gay or lesbian and 1% identified as “something else.”6

In 2014, some 46% of all abortion patients had never married and were not cohabiting. However, nearly half were living with a male partner in the month they became pregnant, including 14% who were married and 31% who were cohabiting.6

Fifty-nine percent of abortions in 2014 were obtained by patients who had had at least one birth.6

Some 75% of abortion patients in 2014 were poor or low-income. Twenty-six percent of patients had incomes of 100–199% of the federal poverty level, and 49% had incomes of less than 100% of the federal poverty level ($15,730 for a family of two).*6

The reasons patients gave for having an abortion underscored their understanding of the responsibilities of parenthood and family life. The three most common reasons—each cited by three-fourths of patients—were concern for or responsibility to other individuals; the inability to afford raising a child; and the belief that having a baby would interfere with work, school or the ability to care for dependents. Half said they did not want to be a single parent or were having problems with their husband or partner.7

Fifty-one percent of abortion patients in 2014 were using a contraceptive method in the month they became pregnant, most commonly condoms (24%) or a hormonal method (13%).8

Mostly old white men

(sorry couldn't help myself)

Question: "Does anyone have any links that provide ... who is actually receiving abortions in the U.S ? "

Answer: "Mostly old white men."

:lamo

Question: "Does anyone have any links that provide ... who is actually receiving abortions in the U.S ? "

Answer: "Mostly old white men."

:lamo

Yeah, I almost always abort my unintended pregnancies.

e907cb531169c9276571d8d84941488e.jpg

You're really dicing that a little fine arncha'? The reality is women also oppose abortion. Abortion support is "mainly" in blue states. Abortion opposition is "mostly" in red states.

Liberals "largely" abort their unintended pregnancies. Conservatives "largely" don't.

States that are more opposed to abortion rights have fewer abortions — but not fewer unintended pregnancies

And, again, directly from the pro birthers themselves, the avergae pro birther is a 34 year old caucasian male that is unmarried.

It's relatively easy to see why red states have less abortions. They restrict abortion more. This in turn increases the poverty class state.

I find it hilarious that the movement of pro birthers was founded by the catholic church and militarized by the evangelical movement. The entire movement thus has a theological perspective and thus is attempting to legislate faith.

I'll never convince you as fetus is not a human life. So, let's move past that fundamental disagreement, because it's a distraction. A fetus cannot survive on its own. It is reliant upon the body of the mother to exist. You have no more a claim to the body of the mother than the fetus. You cannot demand her organs be donated for example, or her life force be used to sustain someone via blood transfusion, without her consent. This makes your position untenable and incompatible with the entire structure of "consent." The right to life does not thus include the right to live, especially since pregnancy -always- includes risk to the mother.

It's simply opinion for someone to assert that a woman who has sex has thus consented to the risk of pregnancy. A woman does not bear the responsibility to carry to term a fetus she did not consent to carry. This is typical of the theological perspective, dictating what the role of a woman in our society is. Especially coupled with the conservative hypocrisy; let's not allow people have access to affordable contraceptives, or, fund them publicly for the poor (which you have to agree in the long run costs less than supporting an unwanted child), and, the conservative/christian war on sex education, which again, costs less in the long run than the unwanted child.

And let's address adoption. This is nonsense. A woman has the right to choose not to consent to the use of her organs for someone who was injured in a car crash; why is it any different that a woman be forced to allow her organs to be used for nine long months, and then, endure a 24+ hour exhausting, painful, irrevocably altering birth or c-section, so a baby can be born?Pregnancy complications are a top ten cause of death for women in our society. This is absurd and ridiculous, especially since you're forcing a woman to lend her organs and life force to someone else for a pre determined term and through the very definition of cruel and unusual punishment.

And, no, abortion is not used as a form of contraceptive. This sort of malignant thinking is entrenched in the theocratic roots of anti-woman malignancy and demonization. I have zero tolerance for this argument because -you cannot prove it.-

Anyway, back to the original point - the average pro birther is a 34 year old caucasian unmarried male. That statistic comes from pro "life" networks - not from me. I think the use of pro life by these groups should now be disallowed. They are pro birth. They generally support politicians that would cut social safety nets. They support politicians that think legitimate rape cannot impregnate a woman. They support politicians that would refuse public support to these mothers.

It's an untenable position. The problem pro choice folks have is that alot of them do not dismiss harshly enough the emotional arguments of the pro birth position.

None of you are impacted by abortion. None of your lives are altered. None of you are oppressed by abortion. In fact, you're better off because of it. Because someone -will- have to pay for those kids, and the tax payers will be the ones who have to do it.

And, again, directly from the pro birthers themselves, the avergae pro birther is a 34 year old caucasian male that is unmarried.

It's relatively easy to see why red states have less abortions. They restrict abortion more. This in turn increases the poverty class state.

I find it hilarious that the movement of pro birthers was founded by the catholic church and militarized by the evangelical movement. The entire movement thus has a theological perspective and thus is attempting to legislate faith.

I'll never convince you as fetus is not a human life. So, let's move past that fundamental disagreement, because it's a distraction. A fetus cannot survive on its own. It is reliant upon the body of the mother to exist. You have no more a claim to the body of the mother than the fetus. You cannot demand her organs be donated for example, or her life force be used to sustain someone via blood transfusion, without her consent. This makes your position untenable and incompatible with the entire structure of "consent." The right to life does not thus include the right to live, especially since pregnancy -always- includes risk to the mother.

It's simply opinion for someone to assert that a woman who has sex has thus consented to the risk of pregnancy. A woman does not bear the responsibility to carry to term a fetus she did not consent to carry. This is typical of the theological perspective, dictating what the role of a woman in our society is. Especially coupled with the conservative hypocrisy; let's not allow people have access to affordable contraceptives, or, fund them publicly for the poor (which you have to agree in the long run costs less than supporting an unwanted child), and, the conservative/christian war on sex education, which again, costs less in the long run than the unwanted child.

And let's address adoption. This is nonsense. A woman has the right to choose not to consent to the use of her organs for someone who was injured in a car crash; why is it any different that a woman be forced to allow her organs to be used for nine long months, and then, endure a 24+ hour exhausting, painful, irrevocably altering birth or c-section, so a baby can be born?Pregnancy complications are a top ten cause of death for women in our society. This is absurd and ridiculous, especially since you're forcing a woman to lend her organs and life force to someone else for a pre determined term and through the very definition of cruel and unusual punishment.

And, no, abortion is not used as a form of contraceptive. This sort of malignant thinking is entrenched in the theocratic roots of anti-woman malignancy and demonization. I have zero tolerance for this argument because -you cannot prove it.-

Anyway, back to the original point - the average pro birther is a 34 year old caucasian unmarried male. That statistic comes from pro "life" networks - not from me. I think the use of pro life by these groups should now be disallowed. They are pro birth. They generally support politicians that would cut social safety nets. They support politicians that think legitimate rape cannot impregnate a woman. They support politicians that would refuse public support to these mothers.

It's an untenable position. The problem pro choice folks have is that alot of them do not dismiss harshly enough the emotional arguments of the pro birth position.

None of you are impacted by abortion. None of your lives are altered. None of you are oppressed by abortion. In fact, you're better off because of it. Because someone -will- have to pay for those kids, and the tax payers will be the ones who have to do it.

The only problem with that premis is 34 year old single guys almost never get abortions. You're not seeing the forest for the trees.

Well, yes. Single men would favor abortions. They don't have to pay for their misdeeds. However, these guys aren't getting abortions.

Culture is far more important than your slice of who and who doesn't favor abortion. Blue states manage to slaughter their young by the tens of millions. Some in the conservative states do as well. Mostly tho, conservatives raise their young not kill them. Religion is a factor here. Atheists kill at a much higher rate. That stands to reason.

I'm fine with this. The only thing I'd change about this issue is it never should have been decided by those decadent jurists on the supreme court at the time. It should be an issue decided by the people of the states.

The only problem with that premis is 34 year old single guys almost never get abortions. You're not seeing the forest for the trees.

Thats not my premise. It comes from a variety of pro birth sites. I don't go out and get demoghraphics.

Well, yes. Single men would favor abortions. They don't have to pay for their misdeeds. However, these guys aren't getting abortions.

Obviously.

Culture is far more important than your slice of who and who doesn't favor abortion. Blue states manage to slaughter their young by the tens of millions. Some in the conservative states do as well. Mostly tho, conservatives raise their young not kill them. Religion is a factor here. Atheists kill at a much higher rate. That stands to reason.

No, it does not stand to reason. It stands to opinion. You have no proof atheists get abortions more than anyone else. Atheists are a tiny portion of the population. What stands to reason is the inverse. Christians are the largest demographic in this nation. Thus, more christians get abortions.

Here's a christian group that conducted a study.

Christian group conducts study on abortion, finds that Christians have the most abortions – DeadState

http://lifewayresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Care-Net-Final-Presentation-Report-Revised.pdf

Note, this is not an atheist site or study. It is a pro birth christian study.

I'm fine with this. The only thing I'd change about this issue is it never should have been decided by those decadent jurists on the supreme court at the time. It should be an issue decided by the people of the states.

Disagree. The right to consent to the use of your body is paramount to our rights as an individual. Do you want the state compelling you via force to donate blood or parce out pieces of your organs to various individuals who need them?

You need to address the argument against your position before you double down, or you lose twice as hard.

No, it does not stand to reason. It stands to opinion. You have no proof atheists get abortions more than anyone else. Atheists are a tiny portion of the population. What stands to reason is the inverse. Christians are the largest demographic in this nation. Thus, more christians get abortions.

Christian group conducts study on abortion, finds that Christians have the most abortions – DeadState ...

But of course! Most blacks and Latinos consider themselves Christians.

Thats not my premise. It comes from a variety of pro birth sites. I don't go out and get demoghraphics.

Obviously.

Christian group conducts study on abortion, finds that Christians have the most abortions – DeadState

http://lifewayresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Care-Net-Final-Presentation-Report-Revised.pdf

Note, this is not an atheist site or study. It is a pro birth christian study.

Disagree. The right to consent to the use of your body is paramount to our rights as an individual. Do you want the state compelling you via force to donate blood or parce out pieces of your organs to various individuals who need them?

You need to address the argument against your position before you double down, or you lose twice as hard.

Higher percentage. Atheists are a minority in this country but they believe in and have abortions at a higher percentage than any of the various religious groups with evangelicals having the least percentage of abortions. This is less than half the rate of atheists.

From your Guttmacher source. I've highlighted a rather revealing aspect of abortion in America. One I find, telling..

WHO HAS ABORTIONS?

More than half of all U.S. abortion patients in 2014 were in their 20s: Patients aged 20–24 obtained 34% of all abortions, and patients aged 25–29 obtained 27%.6

Twelve percent of abortion patients in 2014 were adolescents: Those aged 18–19 accounted for 8% of all abortions, 15–17-year-olds for 3% and those younger than 15 for 0.2%.6

White patients accounted for 39% of abortion procedures in 2014, blacks for 28%, Hispanics for 25% and patients of other races and ethnicities for 9%.6

Seventeen percent of abortion patients in 2014 identified as mainline Protestant, 13% as evangelical Protestant and 24% as Catholic; 38% reported no religious affiliation and the remaining 8% reported some other affiliation.6

The vast majority (94%) of abortion patients in 2014 identified as heterosexual or straight. Four percent of patients said they were bisexual, while 0.3% identified as homosexual, gay or lesbian and 1% identified as “something else.”6

In 2014, some 46% of all abortion patients had never married and were not cohabiting. However, nearly half were living with a male partner in the month they became pregnant, including 14% who were married and 31% who were cohabiting.6

Fifty-nine percent of abortions in 2014 were obtained by patients who had had at least one birth.6

Some 75% of abortion patients in 2014 were poor or low-income. Twenty-six percent of patients had incomes of 100–199% of the federal poverty level, and 49% had incomes of less than 100% of the federal poverty level ($15,730 for a family of two).*6

The reasons patients gave for having an abortion underscored their understanding of the responsibilities of parenthood and family life. The three most common reasons—each cited by three-fourths of patients—were concern for or responsibility to other individuals; the inability to afford raising a child; and the belief that having a baby would interfere with work, school or the ability to care for dependents. Half said they did not want to be a single parent or were having problems with their husband or partner.7

Fifty-one percent of abortion patients in 2014 were using a contraceptive method in the month they became pregnant, most commonly condoms (24%) or a hormonal method (13%).8

At a higher rate than the religious. Atheists are a minority in this country but they believe in and have abortions at a higher rate than any of the various religious groups with evangelicals having the least percentage of abortions. This is less than half the rate of atheists.

WHO HAS ABORTIONS?

Yes, your highlighted portion shows essentially this -

Which breaks down to: 38% religiously unaffiliated; 8% other affiliation; 54% christian.

Keep in mind, 38% can also be parced into non-denominational christians, atheists, new age, pagans, etc. So claiming this demographic is larger than the conglomerate of christians, 54%, is absurd.

Christians as a demographic are having more abortions overall, as a percentage of abortion patients, and as an overall total in this country. That is undeniable. You can try and twist it all you like but I will not play that game.

The numbers are in.

Moreover, address the topic of consent, or concede it.

This is a learning thread for me. Does anyone have any credible,factual,provable links that provide the demographics, particularly, ethnic groups, religious affiliation, and political affiliation as to who is actually receiving abortions in the U.S ? I ask because I see a lot of folks who identify as conservatives pointing fingers at certain groups without actually supporting their claims with actual facts to support said allegations. Thanks in advance.

Here is an interesting 2015 stat:

A higher percentage of non-Hispanic white women had abortions in 2015 than non-Hispanic Black Women.

Based on areas that reported race and ethnicity data, the largest percentages of abortions in 2015 were had by non-Hispanic white women (36.9%) and non-Hispanic black women (36%). Hispanic women accounted for 18.5% of all abortions in 2015, while non-Hispanic women of other races made up 8.7%.

Also

. The number of abortions among women 15-44 went down 26%, from 15.9 to 11.8 abortions per 1,000 women. And the number of abortions per 1,000 live births went down by 19%, from 233 to 188.

Compared with the previous year, 2014, there was a 2% decrease in abortions across the three measures.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/21/health/abortion-surveillance-cdc-2015-bn/index.html

Last edited:

Personally, I think the race question is tied to cultural differences as well as poverty level. But the statistics I posted prove the claim; 54% of folks seeking abortions are christians*, 8% are other; 38% have no affiliation.

*Christians used as a conglomerate. This includes catholics, protestants, etc. The 38% can be broken down into a variety of "other" or "not listed" groups - including wiccans, pagans, druidists, taoists, daoists, buddhists, etc. I'd argue the 38% and 8% for no affiliation and other can be combined into one group, still showing overall the majority of people seeking abortions in this nation are, after all, christians.

But of course! Most blacks and Latinos consider themselves Christians.

Most yes, but at a lower percentage of their group than atheists who are themselves a minority in this country.

Most yes, but at a lower percentage of their group than atheists who are themselves a minority in this country.

All of which is irrelevant and a distraction. 54% of abortions in this nation are done on christians. Parcing down the numbers like you are doing is witch hunting distraction.

Do you concede the consent issue?

Yes, your highlighted portion shows essentially this -

Which breaks down to: 38% religiously unaffiliated; 8% other affiliation; 54% christian.

Keep in mind, 38% can also be parced into non-denominational christians, atheists, new age, pagans, etc. So claiming this demographic is larger than the conglomerate of christians, 54%, is absurd.

Christians as a demographic are having more abortions overall, as a percentage of abortion patients, and as an overall total in this country. That is undeniable. You can try and twist it all you like but I will not play that game.

The numbers are in.

Moreover, address the topic of consent, or concede it.

No religious affiliation would seem to preclude non-denominational christians, atheists, new age, pagans,ect...

Back
Top Bottom