• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Who is our President?

Who is our President?

  • George W Bush

    Votes: 21 61.8%
  • Dick Cheney

    Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Karl Rove

    Votes: 5 14.7%

  • Total voters
    34

FinnMacCool

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 23, 2005
Messages
2,272
Reaction score
153
Location
South Shore of Long Island.
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Recently I've heard a lot of people talk about how Dick Cheney is really the guy pulling the strings and Bush is more of a publicity figure. What are your thoughts on this?
 

SixStringHero

DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
1,586
Reaction score
133
Location
Southwest
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Well, depending on who you ask.

A lot of people like to claim the president is a moron or a blithering idiot so that must mean the he's not smart enough to run the country, so they over whelming say Cheney or Rove.

I have said this many times; he may not be articulate, but he's not an idiot. He is for all intents and purposes the president of this country whether people like him or not.
 

Synch

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 15, 2006
Messages
564
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
SixStringHero said:
Well, depending on who you ask.

A lot of people like to claim the president is a moron or a blithering idiot so that must mean the he's not smart enough to run the country, so they over whelming say Cheney or Rove.

I have said this many times; he may not be articulate, but he's not an idiot. He is for all intents and purposes the president of this country whether people like him or not.
Wrong, each and every single time I have heard his speeches he is studdering, and cannot respond to tough questions when asked by reporters. Rove rarely even let Bush speak without a script, afraid he will mess up so bad that it will take the entire Republican part down, since the beginning of 2005 many Republicans have been distancing themselves away from Bush, seeing how Bush and make them unpopular(see Virginia Governer election). He is armed before each news conference on what the reporters will most likely ask and answer their questions in the most simplistic form possible.

He is the farthest for articulate as US presidents get. He does not know the purpose, in fact he doesn't have his own agenda, he is merely a brainless puppet for the Republican party.

Athough Cheney seems devious, the political mastermind behind the Republicans is no doubt Karl Rove.
 

Synch

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 15, 2006
Messages
564
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Stupiderthanthou said:
How do you explain Harriet Miers, then?
The Republicans needed to attempt to replace o connor with a woman so they will not be accused by the democrats of sexism or discrimination. They knew Miers was never going to make it seeing her lack of knowledge in law, she was used as a defense against criticism.
 
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
2,669
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Synch said:
Wrong, each and every single time I have heard his speeches he is studdering, and cannot respond to tough questions when asked by reporters.
Then stop the presses. You heard it here, folks. Synch says that because Bush studders [sic], there is no way he could be our president. Thanks for setting (I mean, sedding) us straight, synch. Oh, and welcome to the forum.
 

FinnMacCool

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 23, 2005
Messages
2,272
Reaction score
153
Location
South Shore of Long Island.
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Then stop the presses. You heard it here, folks. Synch says that because Bush studders [sic], there is no way he could be our president. Thanks for setting (I mean, sedding) us straight, synch. Oh, and welcome to the forum.
__________________
Don't be a wiseass. You know what he meant.

Don't worry Synch. If this guy ever gets on your nerves, remind him that you don't take those that were suspended for trolling very seriously. KCConservatives way of greeting newbies on this forum is by attacking them and then saying welcome to the forum
 

scottyz

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
1,575
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Moderate
It's a toss up between Rove and Cheney imo.
 

Gaivs Ivlivs

Banned
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Synch said:
"the entire Republican part";

"seeing how Bush and make them unpopular";

"Governer";

"He is armed before each news conference on what the reporters will most likely ask and answer their questions in the most simplistic form possible"

"He is the farthest for articulate"

"Athough"
You write as well as President Bush speaks
 

mixedmedia

iniquitably employed
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
6,823
Reaction score
373
Location
Naples, FL
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
I don't consider George Bush to be stupid, but to some extent, I do believe he is a puppet. A likable and folksy front for a not so likable and folksy agenda. Still I voted for him (in the poll!!) because I don't think there is any one person pulling the strings. I consider it more of a "team" effort.
 

Conflict

Banned
Joined
Jul 30, 2005
Messages
745
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Centrist
mixedmedia said:
I don't consider George Bush to be stupid, but to some extent, I do believe he is a puppet. A likable and folksy front for a not so likable and folksy agenda. Still I voted for him (in the poll!!) because I don't think there is any one person pulling the strings. I consider it more of a "team" effort.

I believe that is a common misconception that Walker is supposed to be considered intelligent. To assume that he and his ilk have no role in this entire fiasco of liberal-conservatisim is simply ridiculous. Bush is not stupid. Nor does he hold a shred of concern for concepts such as liberty and justice. He has his agenda and if playing dumb benefits him, as it has, why should he not do it?

I think Rove and Cheney obviously play a role..... But I don't think any in this administration should be exonerated by any means of simply taking responsibility for their miscreant actions. Funny how no one in the white house dare take responsibility for virtually anything. Talk about cowards.
 

Scarecrow Akhbar

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
11,430
Reaction score
2,282
Location
Los Angeles
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
So, did Finn McCool discover a basement poll about who can come up with the dumbest poll ever and he wants to win it?

Bush is the prez, he got elected.

Twice.

All this nonsense about how Bush is too stupid to be the "real" president denies recent history. Carter was clearly the most incompetent man to ever hold the office. The only close second is Ford. Both Bushes are basically average presidents with no striking pluses and no notable negatives.

Heck, Bush can't even compete on the corruption scale that was topped by the last guy.
 

Conflict

Banned
Joined
Jul 30, 2005
Messages
745
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Centrist
Scarecrow Akhbar said:
So, did Finn McCool discover a basement poll about who can come up with the dumbest poll ever and he wants to win it?

Bush is the prez, he got elected.

Twice.

All this nonsense about how Bush is too stupid to be the "real" president denies recent history. Carter was clearly the most incompetent man to ever hold the office. The only close second is Ford. Both Bushes are basically average presidents with no striking pluses and no notable negatives.

Heck, Bush can't even compete on the corruption scale that was topped by the last guy.
I agree and I disagree.

Bush is the president... how ever that may have become the situation... that IS the situation.

However,

If anyone can cite one child of any congressman or senator, democrat or republican, that is in active duty in the US military... I will simply be astounded.

The question is not only who is the president.
The question is who's war is this?
Who's country is this?
 

Scarecrow Akhbar

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
11,430
Reaction score
2,282
Location
Los Angeles
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Conflict said:
If anyone can cite one child of any congressman or senator, democrat or republican, that is in active duty in the US military... I will simply be astounded.

The question is not only who is the president.
The question is who's war is this?
Who's country is this?
That's just irrelevant to the thread and a total waste of time.
 
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
2,669
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
FinnMacCool said:
Don't be a wiseass. You know what he meant.

Don't worry Synch. If this guy ever gets on your nerves, remind him that you don't take those that were suspended for trolling very seriously. KCConservatives way of greeting newbies on this forum is by attacking them and then saying welcome to the forum
Now it looks as if you need to be set straight. I was suspended for copying and pasting the same post into multiple threads. All threads were on the same topic, so I thought I was being efficient. Glad I could keep you honest.
 
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
2,669
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
I saw a guy getting out of his car at a convenience store the other day. His bumper sticker said "He's not MY president". I couldn't wait to get inside and ask him: "so who IS your president?" He looked at me blankly with no answer. These people crack me up.
 

Scarecrow Akhbar

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
11,430
Reaction score
2,282
Location
Los Angeles
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
KCConservative said:
I saw a guy getting out of his car at a convenience store the other day. His bumper sticker said "He's not MY president". I couldn't wait to get inside and ask him: "so who IS your president?" He looked at me blankly with no answer. These people crack me up.
The most that anyone can say, like I do, is that I didn't vote for the guy, don't blame me.

Until a president actually steals the election, like Kennedy probably did, and Al Gore tried to do, the guy in the Oral Office is OUR president.
 
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
2,669
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Scarecrow Akhbar said:
The most that anyone can say, like I do, is that I didn't vote for the guy, don't blame me.

Until a president actually steals the election, like Kennedy probably did, and Al Gore tried to do, the guy in the Oral Office is OUR president.
Right. I never voted for Clinton. Never cared for his policies. Certainly didn't appreciate what he did to the sactity of the office, but he was the president. Just because I didn't like him, it didn't make me want to say foolish things that could be refuted with ease.
 

Billo_Really

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
18,930
Reaction score
1,040
Location
HBCA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Originally posted by KCConservative:
Right. I never voted for Clinton. Never cared for his policies. Certainly didn't appreciate what he did to the sactity of the office, but he was the president. Just because I didn't like him, it didn't make me want to say foolish things that could be refuted with ease.
Bet you liked that eight years of growth and the fact that he balanced the budget for the first time since Andrew Jackson?
 

Billo_Really

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
18,930
Reaction score
1,040
Location
HBCA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar
Heck, Bush can't even compete on the corruption scale that was topped by the last guy.
To say that the Bush Administration is not corrupt is quite a pollyannic statement.

Dishonest, Reprehensible, Corrupt ...
By Frank Rich The New York Times Sunday 27 November 2005


George W. Bush is so desperate for allies that his hapless Asian tour took him to Ulan Bator, a first for an American president, so he could mingle with the yaks and give personal thanks for Mongolia's contribution of some 160 soldiers to "the coalition of the willing." Dick Cheney, whose honest-and-ethical poll number hit 29 percent in Newsweek's latest survey, is so radioactive that he vanished into his bunker for weeks at a time during the storms Katrina and Scootergate.

The whole world can see that both men are on the run. Just how much so became clear in the brace of nasty broadsides each delivered this month about Iraq. Neither man engaged the national debate ignited by John Murtha about how our troops might be best redeployed in a recalibrated battle against Islamic radicalism. Neither offered a plan for "victory." Instead, both impugned their critics' patriotism and retreated into the past to defend the origins of the war. In a seasonally appropriate impersonation of the misanthropic Mr. Potter from "It's a Wonderful Life," the vice president went so far as to label critics of the administration's prewar smoke screen both "dishonest and reprehensible" and "corrupt and shameless." He sounded but one epithet away from a defibrillator.

The Washington line has it that the motivation for the Bush-Cheney rage is the need to push back against opponents who have bloodied the White House in the polls. But, Mr. Murtha notwithstanding, the Democrats are too feeble to merit that strong a response. There is more going on here than politics.

Much more: each day brings slam-dunk evidence that the doomsday threats marshaled by the administration to sell the war weren't, in Cheney-speak, just dishonest and reprehensible but also corrupt and shameless. The more the president and vice president tell us that their mistakes were merely innocent byproducts of the same bad intelligence seen by everyone else in the world, the more we learn that this was not so. The web of half-truths and falsehoods used to sell the war did not happen by accident; it was woven by design and then foisted on the public by a P.R. operation built expressly for that purpose in the White House. The real point of the Bush-Cheney verbal fisticuffs this month, like the earlier campaign to take down Joseph Wilson, is less to smite Democrats than to cover up wrongdoing in the executive branch between 9/11 and shock and awe.


http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/112705Y.shtml
 

Scarecrow Akhbar

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
11,430
Reaction score
2,282
Location
Los Angeles
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Billo_Really said:
To say that the Bush Administration is not corrupt is quite a pollyannic statement.
Two statements are equivalent:

The Bush Administration is corrupt.

The Bush Administration is totally average.

Now, when you're complaining about corruption, please post your history of complaints against the Clintonistas. If you can't do that, your whines about what you think you see now are really quite irrelevant.

As for the "balanced budget" under that rapist, that had everything to do with cooking the books, the end of the savings and loan bailout, a stockmarket bubble, and a Republican congress.

Now, you may have your nose up Clinton's ass for whatever reason you wish. Skillful handling of the economy shouldn't be one of them. Needless to say, when the slime left office, the nation was entering a recession.
 

Billo_Really

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
18,930
Reaction score
1,040
Location
HBCA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar
Two statements are equivalent:

The Bush Administration is corrupt.

The Bush Administration is totally average.

Now, when you're complaining about corruption, please post your history of complaints against the Clintonistas. If you can't do that, your whines about what you think you see now are really quite irrelevant.

As for the "balanced budget" under that rapist, that had everything to do with cooking the books, the end of the savings and loan bailout, a stockmarket bubble, and a Republican congress.

Now, you may have your nose up Clinton's ass for whatever reason you wish. Skillful handling of the economy shouldn't be one of them. Needless to say, when the slime left office, the nation was entering a recession.
Hey, we had a balanced budget and eight years of growth. That is an un-deniable, un-refutable fact, Jack. Deal with it. Bush is far worse than any other President in history.

The Scandal Sheet
By Peter Dizikes Salon.com Tuesday 18 January 2005


Print it out, send it to Harry Reid, or just read it and weep. Here are 34 scandals from the first four years of George W. Bush's presidency - every one of them worse than Whitewater.



http://www.truthout.org/docs_05/011905D.shtml
 
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
2,669
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Billo_Really said:
Bet you liked that eight years of growth and the fact that he balanced the budget for the first time since Andrew Jackson?
Where can I get some gasses like that, billo? I can never find them in rose colored.
 
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
2,669
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
billo, don't you ever read anything other than truthout? It's a rag. It's untruth. It's everything you hate. The smear piece you linked shows all 34 trumped up scandals that went nowhere. It highlights the desperation that is the domocratic party. It shows, in one concise article, why the liberal platform is dying. See my signature below. Slander before truth. Your truthout oped proves it.
 
Last edited:

Billo_Really

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
18,930
Reaction score
1,040
Location
HBCA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Originally posted by KCConservative:
billo, don't you ever read anything other than truthout? It's a rag. It's untruth. It's everything you hate.
Psychologists call this "projection".
 
Top Bottom