• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who is Olena Zelenska, Ukraine’s first lady and Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s wife?

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

iu

When Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said that Moscow had made him “target No. 1,” in what he said was its effort to “destroy Ukraine politically by destroying the head of state,” he also noted that his family was “target No. 2.” The grim proclamation drew attention to the plight of his family, first lady Olena Zelenska and the couple’s two young children, Sasha and Cyril. The couple was married in September 2003, before Zelenskyy’s political career began. He famously forgot to loop in his wife on his decision to run for president. Zelenska found out about her husband’s candidacy on social media, she told Vogue Ukraine. “Why didn’t you tell me?” she asked him. His response: “I forgot.” Zelenska at first was “not too happy when I realized that those were the plans,” she told the magazine. “I realized how everything would change, and what difficulties we would have to face,” she said in the 2019 interview, years before her husband became a wartime leader and the face of the Ukrainian resistance to the Russian invasion.

Zelenska, 44, (née Kiyashko) grew up in the central Ukrainian city of Kryvyi Rih, where Zelenskyy was also raised. The pair met at college, where she studied architecture and he studied law, but the couple found careers in comedy. Zelenskyy, also 44, started a production company, Studio Kvartal 95, where Zelenska became a script writer. For security reasons, the location of Zelenska and her children has not been publicly revealed, though Zelenskyy has said they remain in Ukraine. In the days since the Russian invasion, Zelenska has taken to social media to voice her encouragement for the Ukrainian people. “Today I will not have panic and tears. I will be calm and confident,” she wrote on Instagram last week. “My children are looking at me. I will be next to them. And next to my husband. And with you.”

I wish this brave lady would leave Ukraine with her children and seek asylum in Poland or Lithuania.

I have no doubt that she would fight to the last with her husband, but I don't want to see their young children killed or orphaned.

iu

I wish this brave lady would leave Ukraine with her children and seek asylum in Poland or Lithuania.

I have no doubt that she would fight to the last with her husband, but I don't want to see their young children killed or orphaned.

I agree. It sounds paternalistic and chauvinistic (especially coming from one such as I who never served in uniform), but I think every Ukrainian woman and child should be gotten out now, minus those women who are in the military/militia or providing direct aid to the soldiers. They are going to be the future of Ukraine when this war is over, whether that is 10 to 20 months from now, or 10 to 20 years from now.

I agree. Mothers and children need to get the hell out while they can. I hope they are recalculating their decision to stay.
I can't imagine how painful making that decision would be.

Why are you plugging these people now seeing as you have been wishing a war between them and Russia( and anyone else who could be co-opted for it) for years here ?

You get the war you always wanted and only then decide that you should " worry" that people will be killed? Really?

These people are just pawns to you imo in your bid to see Russia/Russians suffer.

Why are you plugging these people now seeing as you have been wishing a war between them and Russia( and anyone else who could be co-opted for it) for years here ?

You get the war you always wanted and only then decide that you should " worry" that people will be killed? Really?

These people are just pawns to you imo in your bid to see Russia/Russians suffer.
Those poor Russians, right?

Every now and then Russia needs to bully another country. This time it's Ukraine, next time maybe Lithuania or Moldova.

You know who has a short memory? Hungary has a really short memory.

Not as short as many in the US and UK etc etc Bullying Venezuela, Iraq, Iran, Syria,Afghanistan, Libya and snuffing out brown people all over the place in drone attacks. Don't see you complaining.

Russian people along with the Ukrainian people, damn right !!

As if they didn't have enough on their plate without the whole world lining up to dish out sanctions that will hit the ordinary Russian harder than the kleptocrats at the top, people that they can do FA about, it's always the same.

Happened when your own country imposed years of sanctions on those brown people living in Iraq. You know, the two heads of the programme resigning because of the " genocidal" effects they were having.

Rogue Valley is one of THE very few people here who has yearned for a war and now he has what he wants he uses the plight of those in the cross hairs as stepping stones for propaganda points for his russophobia.

If people really cared about the people of Ukraine, and I am talking about ALL of the people in Ukraine, along with the Russian people too, they wouldn't be sabre rattling for war, they would be supporting a negotiated settlement to try to avert it,

So obvious really but not to the likes of you who , like so many people here, has to be told who and what to support by their own state propaganda systems and all the while being silent about/indifferent to the crimes of their own.

I bet your'e all for BLM at home while being ignorant of/ turning a blind eye to, the outrageous racism on display in the coverage/actions on display with this war.

Here in the UK we are fast tracking Ukrainian refugees in and pushing brown refugees back into the sea. Don't see you complaining.

Back
Top Bottom