• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who is Matthew Whitaker, the new acting attorney general?

lurchadams

Zoom Warrior
Banned
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
https://www.gq.com/story/matthew-whitaker-is-the-toilet-attorney-general

Matthew Whitaker, who replaced the now-fired Jeff Sessions as acting attorney general fewer than 24 hours after last week's midterm elections, is an uncompromising Trump loyalist and longtime Robert Mueller critic, installed in the position for the specific purpose of undermining the special counsel's investigation and, if necessary, bringing it to a swift, dramatic, and premature conclusion. His presence in the Department of Justice is now perhaps the single greatest threat to the rule of law in this country, other than the continued presence in the White House of his crimes-happy benefactor.

In a pitch-perfect Trumpian twist, it turns out that before ascending to his current role, Matthew Whitaker was also a cartoonish, grifting dope who shilled for a company that hawked time-travel cryptocurrencies, Bigfoot dolls, and toilets specially designed for men with big dicks—and that was shut down for good and paid a $26 million fine to the Federal Trade Commission earlier this year for its alleged wrongdoing.

I don't understand why this isn't a bigger story. Democracy literally died this week. The king can literally install someone in his kingdom to help make him, the primary servant of the people, impervious to accountability to the people, whom he is supposed to serve. Are we so numb to the absurd?

I don't understand why this isn't a bigger story. Democracy literally died this week. The king can literally install someone in his kingdom to help make him, the primary servant of the people, impervious to accountability to the people, whom he is supposed to serve. Are we so numb to the absurd?

Sort of numb, but I think at a certain point we realized that only by voting Republicans out of power could anything change since Republicans obviously weren't going to be shamed into doing the right thing.

If we had failed to take back the House (at least), then it could certainly be argued that we've been numbed into accepting such overt corruption.

He like mot of those working for this president is under investigation. Does not surprise me that trump picked someone who can do Trump's dirty work and then Trump can fire him for cause.

When you keep in mind that Whitaker is the "Acting" AG and that he's actually done nothing to threaten Mueller, all your fears and hyperbole looks pretty stupid.

Let not your heart be troubled...at least until Trump names his ACTUAL AG nomination.

LOL!!

If he had, the Trump haters would know about it.

So when you stated definitively that he hasn't done anything to threaten Mueller you were making that up.

Not that I'm surprised, mind you.

When you keep in mind that Whitaker is the "Acting" AG and that he's actually done nothing to threaten Mueller, all your fears and hyperbole looks pretty stupid.

Let not your heart be troubled...at least until Trump names his ACTUAL AG nomination.

Okay, I'll take your word for it that Whitaker can do no harm as acting AG.

Just kidding.

Sort of numb, but I think at a certain point we realized that only by voting Republicans out of power could anything change since Republicans obviously weren't going to be shamed into doing the right thing...

You're right, the Trump Party in the House has turned belly up, can't be shamed and will never confront Numnuts. They've come up with two goose eggs or two big double O's.

Thankfully with the Dems taking over on the 7th of January, they'll start exercising their power and do their job, it's an odd job, but someone has to do it...

Last edited:
LOL!!

So you have zero facts to back it up.
But I thought Mycroft was all about the facts? Were you lying then, or are you bull****ting now? Can't have it both ways.

Fact is, you have no clue what Whitaker has done with regards to the Mueller investigation. He could access the details of it as AG, and simply feed it to Trump verbally...ongoing investigation information released to someone whose campaign is being invesigated.
Hell, Whitaker himself is under investigation now for his involvement with his last giant fraud of a company he was an advisor and representative of. Is he feeding them info on that?

Suckers.

He like mot of those working for this president is under investigation. Does not surprise me that trump picked someone who can do Trump's dirty work and then Trump can fire him for cause.

Do y’all liberals ever get tired of making stupid predictions about Trump that never come true.
Please give one of these idiotic liberal predictions that have ever came true.
Like he will start a nuclear war, he will crash the economy, he will load up immigrants, you know the long list of predictions, tell us one that y’all got right!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOL, yet another hyperventilating LW wail about Whitaker. Waa, waa, he's critical of Mueller, so friggin'? WHAT? He's not alone in that opinion. You guys keep clinging to Mueller as the knight in shining armor on a white stallion poised to charge into battle to save us from the evil Sir Donald of Trump. Relax, Mueller isn't getting fired; at worst he may get told to focus on the job he was given over a year ago:
investigate the alleged collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign.

Do y’all liberals ever get tired of making stupid predictions about Trump that never come true.
Please give one of these idiotic liberal predictions that have ever came true.
Like he will start a nuclear war, he will crash the economy, he will load up immigrants, you know the long list of predictions, tell us one that y’all got right!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He'll fire Sessions and replace him with a toadie.

But that one was kind of a gimme.

Sort of numb, but I think at a certain point we realized that only by voting Republicans out of power could anything change since Republicans obviously weren't going to be shamed into doing the right thing.

If we had failed to take back the House (at least), then it could certainly be argued that we've been numbed into accepting such overt corruption.
Good thing Obama left his pen behind and I'm sure Trump can spell VETO or at least can ask the military officer that carries the nuclear football for him. :lamo

You have a future in fiction writing, your imagination is amazing. :lamo
'

LOL, yet another hyperventilating LW wail about Whitaker. Waa, waa, he's critical of Mueller, so friggin'? WHAT.

You do realize there are a lot more reasons, all combined, that make Whitaker as acting AG problematic right?
- lack of qualifications to be AG
- last gig he was an advisor, enforcer, and contributor, to a company just busted for fraud to the tune of $25M
- Whitaker chose not to respond to legal requests to return money btw
- Whitaker is a Trump partisan, appearing on the news to blab about pro-Trump nonsense, attack Mueller, etc.
- he's now overseeing a criminal special investigation into the president's campaign (!!!)
- he was chair for the campaign of a guy that was questioned in the Mueller investigation

I mean, that's just off the top. It's not JUST that he should obviously recuse himself...why didn't he by the way?
And it's not just that anyone is afraid of him STOPPING the investigation, there are 1001 ways he can interfere directly and indirectly in his new position, some of which would be hard to even learn about.

Stop acting. Trump could have noiminated a new AG to overlap perfectly with Session's ouster, no reason he couldn't have.
He chose this nefarious route instead, and he'll be punished for it as much as we can bring to bear, for good reason.

I

Well, in the eyes of the hysterical left wing Whitaker actually suggested that Mueller get on with actually investigating the "collusion" between Trump campaign and the Russia government which, I think, most lefties don't even believe anymore given all the crap that has come out about the corruption in the DOJ and FBI under Obama. All the LW is hoping for now is a Hail Mary discovery of something worthy of congressional action.

He's a con-man and Trump sycophant.

He doesn't 'believe' in Marbury vs. Madison, and thinks the judicial branch should be a lesser branch than the executive.
He was an apparantly crappy lawyer while at the DOJ.
His last private sector gig is now under federal criminal investigation by the FBI after being shut down and fined by the FTC. He failed to respond to subpoenas, twice, in matters related to that.
He doesn't believe non-Christians can be good judges.
The list goes on and on.

LOL, yet another hyperventilating LW wail about Whitaker. Waa, waa, he's critical of Mueller, so friggin'? WHAT? He's not alone in that opinion. You guys keep clinging to Mueller as the knight in shining armor on a white stallion poised to charge into battle to save us from the evil Sir Donald of Trump. Relax, Mueller isn't getting fired; at worst he may get told to focus on the job he was given over a year ago:
investigate the alleged collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign.

It's not just the fact that Whitaker's a slobbering trump loyalist. It's that he's a crook as well and trump has appointed this guy to be top cop. You accuse me of hyperventilating when if Obama ever tried to appoint someone so obviously unqualified only as a shield to keep him out of jail, you and your buddies would be marching on WA with assault rifles and you know it.

You guys **** yourself when Obama put his feet up on the desk, played golf, went on vacation, etc. But, like everything else with people like you, if trump does it, it's ok.

He's a con-man and Trump sycophant.

He doesn't 'believe' in Marbury vs. Madison, and thinks the judicial branch should be a lesser branch than the executive.
He was an apparantly crappy lawyer while at the DOJ.
His last private sector gig is now under federal criminal investigation by the FBI after being shut down and fined by the FTC. He failed to respond to subpoenas, twice, in matters related to that.
He doesn't believe non-Christians can be good judges.
The list goes on and on.

So in other words, prime trump administration material!

LOL!!

Trump says he knows all about what Mueller's investigation is doing. How would he know that if not for Whitaker?

Who is Matthew Whitaker, the new acting attorney general?
Matt is a Trump lackey who's risen well above his level of incompetence. To wit:
  • Compare his credentials/portfolio with that of other top principals (or even near-top ones) in the DoJ...pick anyone you want. I've noted Bob Mueller who, because Trump appointed Matt as Acting AG, now reports to Whittaker.
    • Bob Mueller:
      • BA, Princeton; MA New York Univ.; JD UVa
      • Managed prosecution of Manuel Noriega,
      • Managed prosecution of John Gotti
      • Led the investigation into the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103
      • Partner at Hill and Barlow
      • Senior partner at Hale and Dorr
      • Partner at WilmerHale
      • Worked in US Attorney Northern District of California office (8 years)
      • Us Attorney District of Massachusetts (6 years)
      • Assistant Attorney General for the Criminal Division at the Department of Justice (3 years)
      • Conducted the Ray Rice/Balto Ravens domestic violence inquiry
      • Longest serving FBI Director since J. Edgar Hoover.
    • Matt Whittaker
    • Jeffrey Toobin (a legal analyst for a news network -- included just to show that even non-attorneys have more illustrious legal careers)
      • Harvard College, MCL; Harvard Law, MCL
      • Law clerk for a federal judge
      • Associate counsel to Independent Counsel Lawrence Walsh during the Iran–Contra affair and Oliver North's criminal trial
      • Assistant United States Attorney in Brooklyn
      • Acclaimed author (Columbia Graduate School of Journalism; Harvard School of Journalism)
    • Rod Rosenstein
      • BS, Wharton, SCL; Harvard Law, CL, law review editor
        • Law internship with United States Attorney for the District of Massachusetts
      • Law clerk to Judge Douglas H. Ginsburg of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
      • Wasserstein Fellow at Harvard Law School in 1997–98
      • Attorney General’s Honors Program entrant to the DoJ, prosecuted public corruption cases as a trial attorney with the Public Integrity Section of the Criminal Division
      • Counsel to Deputy Attorney General
      • Special Assistant to Criminal Division Assistant Attorney General
      • Associate Independent Counsel to Ken Starr, 1995 to 1997 -- three convictions
      • Assistant U.S. Attorney MD District
      • Deputy Assistant Attorney General, DoJ Tax Division -- personally briefed and argued civil appeals before federal appellate courts
      • United States Attorney MD District (unanimously confirmed) -- successfully prosecuted leaks of classified information, corruption, murders and burglaries, and was "particularly effective taking on corruption within police departments
      • Advisory Committee of US Attorneys
        • Vice-chair of the Violent and Organized Crime Subcommittee
        • Member of the Subcommittees on White Collar Crime
      • Prosecuted Gen. James Cartwright, a former Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
      • Nominated to the Court of Appeals Fourth Circuit
      • Deputy Attorney General
Hell, I and my former partners in consulting haven't got law degrees and we have stronger credentials than Matt Whittaker. Indeed, merely walking through the SCOTUS, halls of Congress, the DoJ, or even just strolling down K Street, one'd be hard pressed to find people who don't.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom