• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who is emotionally stronger, women or men?

Are Women or Men Stronger Emotionally?

• Total voters
Psychopath, not sociopath.

A sociopath (Trump) is the impulsive cousin to the cold calculation of the psychopath (Hillary), though both lack or are even utterly devoid of empathy: Differences Between a Psychopath vs Sociopath | World of Psychology

Why I used the term sociopath, I was referring antisocial personality. The vast majority of sociopaths are not violent. However, just being devoid of empathy does not make one a sociopath. If it did, anyone with Borderline Personality Disorder would be a sociopath.

There is no reason to believe that either Trump or Hillary are sociopaths. Trump may well be afflicted with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, but there is no reason to believe that either of them lack a conscience altogether despite what one might feel about their politics.

Why I used the term sociopath, I was referring antisocial personality. The vast majority of sociopaths are not violent. However, just being devoid of empathy does not make one a sociopath. If it did, anyone with Borderline Personality Disorder would be a sociopath.

It's definitely not correct to state sociopaths make decisions on what is purely rational to them is what I'm saying; sociopathy is a pretty particular subset of antisocial personality.

As for Hillary and Trump, I'm being largely tongue in cheek, with sociopath and psychopath being exaggerations of their evident and supposed traits.

That's fatalism. Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that, but that is the path you're using. You're saying that the Trolley conductor exercises his will on the situation when he encounters the possible victims on the tracks. Yet when the example centers around the doctor, where did his own ability to carry out his choosing go?

The difference and the prime one is that the singular healthy individual also has free will in the instance of the doctor instance also has a choice in the matter, and may take umbrage. The trolley instance no of those involved except the conductor have any choice.

No, it is not the "same difference".
In one, all die no matter what you choose.
In the other you have the choice of saving only one or saving five.

Secondly I spoke to "better", not "right".
Given the facts as presented, one of the choices is "better".
You change the known facts the "better" decision may change also.

You seem to insist that there is a better outcome in the trolley test. I don't see it that way. The choices are equally bad imo. This presumes the conductor is NOT in the trolley but conducting it remotely and therefor has nothing at stake.

I just skimmed through the replies so I don't know if it's been mentioned, but men tend to be more prone to commit suicide than women. I think the reason for that is that, unlike most women, most men tend to bottle up their emotions and that's ultimately very unhealthy.

This presumes the conductor is NOT in the trolley but conducting it remotely and therefor has nothing at stake.
That is your presumption.

Not at my age.

There are certain certainties after 65, the first being that to women your own age, you are invisible or at least an obstacle to them getting a closer look at the shoes in the window who should know better!

The upside is that young women see you as safe and like having you sit with them on the bus so that really creepy guys can't
not at your age huh, so what would you do if one of those younger chickies hit on you?

I still say women but it is getting to be past tense. I dont believe that young women are emotionally stronger than young men, they are both a mess.

I just skimmed through the replies so I don't know if it's been mentioned, but men tend to be more prone to commit suicide than women. I think the reason for that is that, unlike most women, most men tend to bottle up their emotions and that's ultimately very unhealthy.

I think if you look you will see that women attempt more often but men succeed much more often than women, we are better at it...by far, at least in America.

Which blows out your argument.

Not that what you've pointed isn't one of the reasons, but the main reason is actually a very simple one, most men are under more stress than most women. (Career, self expectations, society's expectations, etc.)

I chose other because (to a point) there is no such thing as being emotionally stronger, imo. There is a such thing as being different in emotions. So depending on the situation, you'd want someone of different emotional talents or capabilities. You probably wouldn't want an extremely emotional person doing Explosive Ordinance Disposal and you probably don't want some non-empathetic robot of a person working as a counselor.

Humans compliment each other by being diverse and it gets tiresome to see one thing devalued and another thing over estimated.

How does a decision based on emotion be "better"?
It seems as there needs to be a logical component to it to make it "better". The more logic the better. Which then leads it to being a more rational decision.

So it seems to me that the person making the less emotional and more logical decision is the one being more rational, be that person a man or a woman.

Where emotional reactions win the day, I think, is when you don't have enough verifiable information available to make a rational decision based on it. It often happens that you have to make a decision on the spur of the moment, and then all you have to go on is what's usually called a "gut feeling." Those decisions are less likely to be the right ones that ones based on a careful study of all the available facts, but they are also likely to be better than just flipping a coin.

I think if you look you will see that women attempt more often but men succeed much more often than women, we are better at it...by far, at least in America.

Which blows out your argument.

Alright, fair enough. However, it could be argued that women, even though they attempt to kill themselves more often but fail, didn't really want to die to begin with. Those who really want to die usually choose a foolproof method, like blowing their brains out. Many women who survive their attempts tend to use much less lethal methods.

Alright, fair enough. However, it could be argued that women, even though they attempt to kill themselves more often but fail, didn't really want to die to begin with. Those who really want to die usually choose a foolproof method, like blowing their brains out. Many women who survive their attempts tend to use much less lethal methods.

On the other hand if a woman is such a drama queen that she decides to try to kill herself even though she really does not want to die I think we can assume that she is emotional weak.

So both genders are effed up. Drama queens and sissies who can't handle life. :lol:

That is where we are headed I think, over 50 million americans are on prescription psychiatric drugs, and a ton more are doing mind bending illegal drugs and/or are binge drinking alcohol.....seems like a logical conclusion.

It is at heart a spiritual collapse of Western Civilization according to me.

So. Typically speaking, men are seen as the colder and more rational under pressure of the sexes. Women are seen as making better emotional decisions as they are more compassionate and more able to empathize.
A few opposing thoughts on this:

Women's Brains are More Sensitive to Negative Emotions

Guess What? Men are More Emotionally Fragile Than Women

Is there a general rule for this or is it a crap shoot that depends on the wiring of each and every individual?

And...debate!
Or just discuss and philosophize. Either and/or...

Men are stronger; we're hard wired for it.

not at your age huh, so what would you do if one of those younger chickies hit on you?

How do you know they don't?

Several years ago I figured out women figure men with white hair and a cane are "safe". And knowing what I know now, I regret not having taken up drawing and painting a lot sooner.

So. Typically speaking, men are seen as the colder and more rational under pressure of the sexes. Women are seen as making better emotional decisions as they are more compassionate and more able to empathize.
A few opposing thoughts on this:

Women's Brains are More Sensitive to Negative Emotions

Guess What? Men are More Emotionally Fragile Than Women

Is there a general rule for this or is it a crap shoot that depends on the wiring of each and every individual?

And...debate!
Or just discuss and philosophize. Either and/or...

My observation is that how strong people are is half personality, and half how many challenges they had growing up. If they manage to survive solidly into adulthood, the more challenges they had, the tougher they are. Now, mind you, that doesn't mean the tougher person is necessarily happier. But they are less likely to quit because they're used to having to push.

As such, I would say women as a whole are probably a bit stronger because they have more challenges, and the older of an age group you're looking at, the bigger the difference is, because older women had more challenges than younger ones. So in this model, women who are 70 are tougher than women who are 40, or men of any age. And my observation does pretty much align with that.

Of course, there are plenty of exceptions to that obviously. Lots of men had harder lives than lots of women, and lots of men as individuals are just stronger than lots of women as individuals -- the personality half of the equation is pretty random and doesn't seem to favor any demographic, as far as I can tell.

But if I had to paint that giant brush stroke, I'd say advantage women simply as a function of the need to adapt to stigma. And the same would be true of black people, gays, etc.

Last edited:
My observation is that how strong people are is half personality, and half how many challenges they had growing up. If they manage to survive solidly into adulthood, the more challenges they had, the tougher they are. Now, mind you, that doesn't mean the tougher person is necessarily happier. But they are less likely to quit because they're used to having to push.

As such, I would say women as a whole are probably a bit stronger because they have more challenges, and the older of an age group you're looking at, the bigger the difference is, because older women had more challenges than younger ones. So in this model, women who are 70 are tougher than women who are 40, or men of any age. And my observation does pretty much align with that.

Of course, there are plenty of exceptions to that obviously. Lots of men had harder lives than lots of women, and lots of men as individuals are just stronger than lots of women as individuals -- the personality half of the equation is pretty random and doesn't seem to favor any demographic, as far as I can tell.

But if I had to paint that giant brush stroke, I'd say advantage women simply as a function of the need to adapt to stigma. And the same would be true of black people, gays, etc.

nicely thought out....I like it :thumbs:

I still say women but it is getting to be past tense. I dont believe that young women are emotionally stronger than young men, they are both a mess.

yes it's a different world not sure why they are so messed up and stressed out but there are definitely some big problems

my dentist told me 40% of his young clients are on some type of behaviour med

yes it's a different world not sure why they are so messed up and stressed out but there are definitely some big problems

my dentist told me 40% of his young clients are on some type of behaviour med

I could provide you possible reasons for it, but I would be called a sexist, so I won't. :lol: It is however interesting that all of these problems with men and women are happening in the feminist era.

I could provide you possible reasons for it, but I would be called a sexist, so I won't. :lol: It is however interesting that all of these problems with men and women are happening in the feminist era.

there are many possible reasons for it

I believe them to be chemical so my reasoning would not be accepted either

the parents of these messed up kids are the kids of my generation who didn't want their kids to have to struggle the way we did....it has not brought good results

I would argue struggle is necessary

we never want others to be hurt the way we have, I don't know what the answer is but teaching people to avoid is not it

Back
Top Bottom