• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who is DeSantis really dicking with his fight with disney and why does his tough actions not go into effect for over a year?

bongsaway

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
So this hard on DeSantis has with disney won't go into effect for more than a year, why, what's the holdup? Anyway is this another case of a republican governor hurting his own folks like Abbott with his border fiasco? The common thought is it will raise the taxes of homeowners in orlando and osceola counties by a thousand a year in their property taxes and even more if you are a business owner. Is this smaller government republican style?

I bet all the folks who support this move would feel differently if your taxes were being raised a thousand a year. This is how your leadership treats you and you guys just keep coming back for more.

So this hard on DeSantis has with disney won't go into effect for more than a year, why, what's the holdup? Anyway is this another case of a republican governor hurting his own folks like Abbott with his border fiasco? The common thought is it will raise the taxes of homeowners in orlando and osceola counties by a thousand a year in their property taxes and even more if you are a business owner. Is this smaller government republican style?

I bet all the folks who support this move would feel differently if your taxes were being raised a thousand a year. This is how your leadership treats you and you guys just keep coming back for more.
DeSantis has to wait a year because of the amount of manpower, money, work, and increased administration it would take to do what Disney is doing very well already. Desantis knows he has tough court battles ahead and he's hoping he'll lose before he has to raise taxes. This is in the spirit of Trump's wall, the republican healthcare plan, the voter fraud claims with no evidence, the Cyber Ninjas, and the gaslighting of January 6.

What really happens doesn't matter; only what you can get people to believe matters.

If I understand correctly, DeSantis can't make the changes contractually, so he's redistricting the Congressional map, which the state has the right to do, to eliminate the special district. That requires review and can't go into effect overnight. The court could throw out the entire new Congressional map and thus throw the monkey wrench into the works.

Because Disney couldn't be "named" directly in the bill for punishment. So instead of passing a bill dissolving all Special Districts (of which there are close to 2000) they had to be careful with the language.

So they choose created prior to November 5th, 1968 as a time marker and only Active, that cut it down to about 350.

Then they inserted language it only applied to "Independent" special districts, that cut it down to 133.

Then they inserted language to exempt those that had been basically recertified by Special Act or General Law after 11/05/1968, that cut it down to 6.
The year time frame allows for conversion true, but it also allows time for the Legislature in the coming months to quietly pass reauthorization for the other 5, leaving Disney as the only one impacted.

WW

Last edited:
If I understand correctly, DeSantis can't make the changes contractually, so he's redistricting the Congressional map, which the state has the right to do, to eliminate the special district. That requires review and can't go into effect overnight. The court could throw out the entire new Congressional map and thus throw the monkey wrench into the works.

Congressional maps and the dissolving of the Special District are two different things.

DeSantis called a special session of the Legislature to deal with the Congressional redistricting and didn't want it running in the 24-hour news cycle. By throwing his Disney temper tantrum into the mix it is the Disney piece that is getting the headlines while the Legislature didn't do it's job and just passed the redistricting maps that DeSantis submitted. Disney was the smoke screen to cover the other action.

WW

DeSantis has to wait a year because of the amount of manpower, money, work, and increased administration it would take to do what Disney is doing very well already. Desantis knows he has tough court battles ahead and he's hoping he'll lose before he has to raise taxes. This is in the spirit of Trump's wall, the republican healthcare plan, the voter fraud claims with no evidence, the Cyber Ninjas, and the gaslighting of January 6.

What really happens doesn't matter; only what you can get people to believe matters.
From what I hear, this will all be cleared up in two weeks when the Durham report comes out.

From what I hear, this will all be cleared up in two weeks when the Durham report comes out.
They will twist whatever it says into pretzles like they did with Mueller.

Because Disney couldn't be "named" directly in the bill for punishment. So instead of passing a bill dissolving all Special Districts (of which there are close to 2000) they had to be careful with the language.

So they choose created prior to November 5th, 1968 as a time marker and only Active, that cut it down to about 350.

Then they inserted language it only applied to "Independent" special districts, that cut it down to 133.

Then they inserted language to exempt those that had been basically recertified by Special Act or General Law after 11/05/1968, that cut it down to 6.
The year time frame allows for conversion true, but it also allows time for the Legislature in the coming months to quietly pass reauthorization for the other 5, leaving Disney as the only one impacted.

WW
Only disney and the taxpayers of orange and osceola counties. I tend to believe the local news here in florida and the tax experts and they all say the same thing, you're ****ed.

Maybe Disney should start a super PAC called the “Mouse House Political Action Committee” and just find DEM politicians.

WW

Only disney and the taxpayers of orange and osceola counties. I tend to believe the local news here in florida and the tax experts and they all say the same thing, you're ****ed.

1650800307470.png

This is going to be included in part of the deal for every Orange and Osceola taxpayer.

WW

I wonder how much real thought DeSantis gave to this. There was a tax official from Orange County on TV yesterday and he said there was absolutely no advance notice of this, no consultation with Orange County or Osceola county, even though they were going to be severely impacted. In fact, most Senators didn't even know this bill was going to be introduced until the night before. He said that Florida has very strict laws on what taxes can be raised and on whom. He said that under FL law there is no way that Orange County can recoup these taxes from Disney.

Orange county is solidly Blue so I don't think DeSantis cares much about November but it may backfire on him down the road. This type of bad governance will come back to haunt him Nationally even if not at the State level.

I wonder how much real thought DeSantis gave to this.

I'm sorry, sometimes the internet doesn't convey intent very well.

I took this as a question and wondered, was this a serious question?

WW

I'm sorry, sometimes the internet doesn't convey intent very well.

I took this as a question and wondered, was this a serious question?

WW
Yes, I meant it. I wonder if he really thought this, and all of its ramifications, through or did he only look at it for short term political gain.

Yes, I meant it. I wonder if he really thought this, and all of its ramifications, through or did he only look at it for short term political gain.

Ah...

Thank you. Then I would suggest the answer is a "No". He didn't think through the details.

WW

Ah...

Thank you. Then I would suggest the answer is a "No". He didn't think through the details.

WW
It was really more my musings than posing a question.

Ah...

WW
I disagree. He knows very well this plan will never fly but that doesn't matter as long as he makes a big noise and owns the libs, Republican politicians no longer have to worry about consequences. Lib hatred is so prevalent they say and do what they like, no matter how ridiculous. For example: "China will pay for the wall." At the time Trump said this, and to this day, we send $320 million a year to Mexico in foreign aid. Some people really believed Mexico would pay for the wall. LOL

I disagree. He knows very well this plan will never fly but that doesn't matter as long as he makes a big noise and owns the libs, Republican politicians no longer have to worry about consequences. Lib hatred is so prevalent they say and do what they like, no matter how ridiculous. For example: "China will pay for the wall." At the time Trump said this, and to this day, we send $320 million a year to Mexico in foreign aid. Some people really believed Mexico would pay for the wall. LOL
Amen, the gop now eats, breathes and sleeps we hate the libtards. Both DeSantis and Abbott are screwing their own citizens but as long as it pleases the knuckle draggers in the party, it's golden. Any lie is acceptable, the bigger the better. It's all just red meat for the base. Keep them fired up about the libs while their leadership robs them blind.

That doesn't even start for a year.

I suspect he hopes Disney will fall into line, he can claim victory and everything can just go on like this never happened.

The one year thing gives them time to reverse it after the midterms.

I wonder how much real thought DeSantis gave to this. There was a tax official from Orange County on TV yesterday and he said there was absolutely no advance notice of this, no consultation with Orange County or Osceola county, even though they were going to be severely impacted. In fact, most Senators didn't even know this bill was going to be introduced until the night before. He said that Florida has very strict laws on what taxes can be raised and on whom. He said that under FL law there is no way that Orange County can recoup these taxes from Disney.

Orange county is solidly Blue so I don't think DeSantis cares much about November but it may backfire on him down the road. This type of bad governance will come back to haunt him Nationally even if not at the State level.
There was no thought, it's just another republican temper tantrum.

Congressional maps and the dissolving of the Special District are two different things.

DeSantis called a special session of the Legislature to deal with the Congressional redistricting and didn't want it running in the 24-hour news cycle. By throwing his Disney temper tantrum into the mix it is the Disney piece that is getting the headlines while the Legislature didn't do it's job and just passed the redistricting maps that DeSantis submitted. Disney was the smoke screen to cover the other action.

WW

Thanks. It was my understanding both the Congressional redistricting and the Disney special district bills were necessary to cut down the number of special districts so as to eliminate the Disney districts.

Thanks. It was my understanding both the Congressional redistricting and the Disney special district bills were necessary to cut down the number of special districts so as to eliminate the Disney districts.
The Congressional seat is trying to do with is in Orange Country but unrelated to the Reedy Creek issue. It is actually Val Deming's congressional seat. I hope that this is taken to court, like so many of DeSantis' bills and defeated. Doing it after the legislation passed their version makes it twice as egregious. It's blatant as hell what he is up to.

Back
Top Bottom