• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who formed NASA

Robertinfremont

Photo of me taken in the Army 1963
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
I bet many democrats believe it was Kennedy. But it was Dwight D. Eisenhower.

On July 29, 1958, Eisenhower signed the National Aeronautics and Space Act, establishing NASA.

While this new federal agency would conduct all non-military space activity, the Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA) was created in February 1958 to develop space technology for military application.

NASA Created - HISTORY

Watch Apollo 17 to learn the history of our moon and our planet.

I don't read the OP, but it was created by Eisenhower, why?

On July 29, 1958, Eisenhower signed the National Aeronautics and Space Act, establishing NASA.

While this new federal agency would conduct all non-military space activity, the Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA) was created in February 1958 to develop space technology for military application.

NASA Created - HISTORY

Eisenhower did a lot of great stuff, not the least of which is the Interstate Highway System.

Eisenhower did a lot of great stuff, not the least of which is the Interstate Highway System.

Most people know the good stuff. Not as many know the horrible stuff.

Most people know the good stuff. Not as many know the horrible stuff.

Yeah we KNOW a lot of the horrible stuff, like Operation Wetback, for instance.
Doesn't change the fact that Ike just might have been the last good Republican.
Goldwater was too nuts back in the Sixties but I swear, as he aged, he became better and better.

I would love to know the purpose of this thread...was there a vast contingent of Dems insisting NASA was Kennedy's baby?
I must have missed it.
The Moon Shot was Kennedy's baby, and Johnson's, and Nixon's.

The one thing I'd like folks to take away from a thread like this is the FACT that NASA was never political, and neither was space exploration, and it was also the time period in which America can take perhaps the greatest pride for a great many things.

We went to the Moon together, as a people, without party hackery, without partisanship, without nationalism, without tribalism, without cheating.

NASA Created - HISTORY

You bet a lot of incredibly idiotic things.

We were well paid to build that freeway.
Ah, sry. Thx for the clarification. I thought you might have been a trucker. But yeah, what a great project to be involved with. It brought America together. Made the country smaller.

NASA Created - HISTORY

Yes. "I like Ike" the last decent Republican President....What happened to that party?
It also in no way diminishes JFK's pivotal role in our triumphant moon landing program. Ike started NASA but JFK MADE it.

NASA Created - HISTORY

Eisenhower's action was a technical formality because NACA had been conducting aeronautical research since 1915 as NACA. We had already been previously a spaceflight program prior to the change from NACA to NASA. Where is this claim going or is this threat just pointless rambling?

On November 21, 1957, Hugh Dryden, NACA's director, established the Special Committee on Space Technology. The committee, also called the Stever Committee after its chairman, Guyford Stever, was a special steering committee that was formed with the mandate to coordinate various branches of the federal government, private companies as well as universities within the United States with NACA's objectives and also harness their expertise in order to develop a space program.

Wernher von Braun, technical director at the US Army's Ballistic Missile Agency would have a Jupiter C rocket ready to launch a satellite in 1956, only to have it delayed, and the Soviets would launch Sputnik 1 in October 1957.
On March 5, 1958, James Killian, who chaired the President's Science Advisory Committee, wrote a memorandum to the President Dwight D. Eisenhower. Titled, "Organization for Civil Space Programs," it encouraged the President to sanction the creation of NASA. He wrote that a civil space program should be based on a "strengthened and redesignated" NACA, indicating that NACA was a "going Federal research agency" with 7,500 employees and $300 million worth of facilities, which could expand its research program "with a minimum of delay."
National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics - Wikipedia

Last edited:
The Moon Shot was Kennedy's baby, and Johnson's, and Nixon's.

Not Nixon's.

We went to the Moon together, as a people, without party hackery, without partisanship, without nationalism, without tribalism, without cheating.

There was more than a little nationalism.

Being a proud American is now considered to be nazi behavior by the left and their MSM.

Meanwhile they wait three months to denounce violent riots.

He is improving it [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

He's ignoring it. He says global warming is a Chinese hoax. NASA says different.

Not Nixon's.

We were still on top of the world too. There was nothing we could not do. It was sacrilege to say otherwise. But if the moon landing was about any President it would have to be JFK, his untimely death was such a huge blow that we felt the need to do many things in his memory.

He's ignoring it. He says global warming is a Chinese hoax. NASA says different.

Trump is the most anti-science President in modern history. His reelection will set back science for a generation. Good thing it will not happen. :lol:

Being a proud American is now considered to be nazi behavior by the left and their MSM.

Meanwhile they wait three months to denounce violent riots.

Worshiping an orange spray painted wannabe dictator is against everything that is American. We always have our allegiance to the country and the Constitution over any politician. Presidents come and go, it is our country that always remains. That's been how it's been in America since it's founding. If you are confused just wait 52 more days and you will see what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom