• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

WHO does not expect widespread coronavirus vaccines until mid-2021

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
WHO does not expect widespread coronavirus vaccines until mid-2021 | TheHill

The global health organization stressed the importance of reliable and transparent data from studies.

The World Health Organization (WHO) doesn’t expect a COVID-19 vaccine to be widely available until mid-2021, according to Reuters.

Despite dozens of vaccine candidates entering various levels of clinical trials, Margaret Harris, a spokesperson from the WHO, said that none of the vaccine hopefuls have shown a “clear signal” of efficacy by at least 50 percent, the threshold expected by the WHO.

“We are really not expecting to see widespread vaccination until the middle of next year,” Harris reportedly said during a U.N. meeting in Geneva.
==================================================================
Even greater reason for most to pass on Nov vaccine introduction here. 'Wait until next year when there is no political pressure & they have a better feel for the 50+% efficacy & safety target.'

I think all along mid 2021 was the most reasonable estimate for a vaccine. And even that is a rapid dateline given that some new vaccines have taken years in the past.

It will be interesting how Russia's Sputnik V vaccine will turn out. Although do you trust anything Russia says?

Don't take the Trump vaccine. Only the Biden vaccine is safe :roll:

WHO does not expect widespread coronavirus vaccines until mid-2021 | TheHill

The global health organization stressed the importance of reliable and transparent data from studies.

The World Health Organization (WHO) doesn’t expect a COVID-19 vaccine to be widely available until mid-2021, according to Reuters.

Despite dozens of vaccine candidates entering various levels of clinical trials, Margaret Harris, a spokesperson from the WHO, said that none of the vaccine hopefuls have shown a “clear signal” of efficacy by at least 50 percent, the threshold expected by the WHO.

“We are really not expecting to see widespread vaccination until the middle of next year,” Harris reportedly said during a U.N. meeting in Geneva.
==================================================================
Even greater reason for most to pass on Nov vaccine introduction here. 'Wait until next year when there is no political pressure & they have a better feel for the 50+% efficacy & safety target.'

I don't expect a really good vaccine for 10 years.. This is a long term project like all others of this nature...
If they put resources into curing the common cold they may be well on their way.

The Cutter Incident

The Cutter Incident: How America's First Polio Vaccine Led to a Growing Vaccine Crisis

This is what can happen when you rush into a vaccine project:

In April 1955 more than 200 000 children in five Western and mid-Western USA states received a polio vaccine in which the process of inactivating the live virus proved to be defective. Within days there were reports of paralysis and within a month the first mass vaccination programme against polio had to be abandoned. Subsequent investigations revealed that the vaccine, manufactured by the California-based family firm of Cutter Laboratories, had caused 40 000 cases of polio, leaving 200 children with varying degrees of paralysis and killing 10.

Re: The Cutter Incident

The Cutter Incident: How America's First Polio Vaccine Led to a Growing Vaccine Crisis

This is what can happen when you rush into a vaccine project:

In April 1955 more than 200 000 children in five Western and mid-Western USA states received a polio vaccine in which the process of inactivating the live virus proved to be defective. Within days there were reports of paralysis and within a month the first mass vaccination programme against polio had to be abandoned. Subsequent investigations revealed that the vaccine, manufactured by the California-based family firm of Cutter Laboratories, had caused 40 000 cases of polio, leaving 200 children with varying degrees of paralysis and killing 10.

I recall that event.

Personally, my wife and I will wait for trials to be over before allowing someone to "Try" an unproven drug. We don't go to much places anyway...although we've watched just about every show and series known to mankind. :)

nahhh, we can hope for sooner.

i always find that i can get people to shut up when i ask them to put their money where their mouth is.

easy peasy.

Back
Top Bottom