• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who do you prefer?

Who do you prefer?

• Beethoven

• Bach

• Mozart

• Brahms

• Wagner

Results are only viewable after voting.
Very cool thanks! I love churches, concert halls and architecture in general.
Don't tell anyone but I go to church every Sunday as an atheist because it's such a great environment. Music, art, the pageantry, costumes, smells (incents) statues.
I often will drive an hour or more to see a church I have yet to attend.

Hey, more power to you. You don't have to be a believer to enjoy great music, history, and architecture. I wasn't religious when I visited Aachen Cathedral more than forty years ago, but I still sensed the spiritual power and reverence in a place that was one of UNESCO's original twelve World Heritage sites and, since the year 814, the place of interment for Charlemagne. That was where I first heard Bach the way he was supposed to be heard--in a church on a pipe organ. Honestly, that's probably when I first came to appreciate Baroque-era religious music written for the organ. It takes a hard heart not to feel anything from it in that environment.

Click me!

Hey, more power to you. You don't have to be a believer to enjoy great music, history, and architecture. I wasn't religious when I visited Aachen Cathedral more than forty years ago, but I still sensed the spiritual power and reverence in a place that was one of UNESCO's original twelve World Heritage sites and, since the year 814, the place of interment for Charlemagne. That was where I first heard Bach the way he was supposed to be heard--in a church on a pipe organ. Honestly, that's probably when I first came to appreciate Baroque-era religious music written for the organ. It takes a hard heart not to feel anything from it in that environment.

Click me!

Very cool but I always thought the 1st 12 Heritage sites a bit baffling.
I am currently taking a course in great world churches.

And for anyone who thinks Bach just wrote music for old religious fogies...

Very cool but I always thought the 1st 12 Heritage sites a bit baffling.
I am currently taking a course in great world churches.

No doubt there is a subjective nature to these sorts of selections and there are many great sites that could have been included, but, yeah, I have to scratch my head when it comes to elevating a Polish salt mine above, say, the Great Pyramids of Giza. As far as churches, Europe is hard to beat for the history (royal coronations, weddings, burials, and such), breadth, grandeur, and size of its churches, but there are many worthwhile places to visit in even some of the most unexpected places, such as the historic colonial Spanish Catholic churches in the Philippines. And anyone who visits Japan should make a point of getting to Kyoto.

Generally regarded as the 5 top composers of all time:
  • Ludwig van Beethoven (1770–1827)
  • Johann Sebastian Bach (1685–1750)
  • Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756–91)
  • Johannes Brahms (1833–97)
  • Richard Wagner (1813–83)
Who do you prefer?

From the list, my preference would be for the works of Beethoven. His piano sonatas are simply beautiful and I find the more sensitive side of his music to be quite moving.

No doubt there is a subjective nature to these sorts of selections and there are many great sites that could have been included, but, yeah, I have to scratch my head when it comes to elevating a Polish salt mine above, say, the Great Pyramids of Giza. As far as churches, Europe is hard to beat for the history (royal coronations, weddings, burials, and such), breadth, grandeur, and size of its churches, but there are many worthwhile places to visit in even some of the most unexpected places, such as the historic colonial Spanish Catholic churches in the Philippines. And anyone who visits Japan should make a point of getting to Kyoto.

Agree but the power of Hagia Sophia literally took my breath away. The most inpactful interior space of any kind I have ever been in.
The upsetting part is that for centuries music has been banned. The Muslim religion won't allow it so we can't hear the ancient music that had been played there before it was converted from Catholicism.

Erogat is thinking of making it a mosque again, it is current a museum.

A recoding a few years ago looked to duplicate the sound effects the cathedral . Measuring the reverberation of the edifice and then taking music and digitally applying the same echo.
It was well received by classical reviewers.

Back
Top Bottom