• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who do you prefer?

Who do you prefer?

• Beethoven

• Bach

• Mozart

• Brahms

• Wagner

Results are only viewable after voting.

noonereal

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Generally regarded as the 5 top composers of all time:
  • Ludwig van Beethoven (1770–1827)
  • Johann Sebastian Bach (1685–1750)
  • Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756–91)
  • Johannes Brahms (1833–97)
  • Richard Wagner (1813–83)
Who do you prefer?

Who do you prefer?
I listen to classical music a lot. I like them all. I don't prefer any.

Who do you prefer?
Hetfield.

Wagner in a rout.

Who do you prefer?
I'm more of a David Gilmour fan. Buy I do like:

or another version:

Who do you prefer?
None.

Who do you prefer?
I bounce between Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven. Today, Bach.

There is always someone...
Same in all polls.
Nope.

I listen to classical music on my local station on the radio when I'm driving. I don't pay attention to what the name of the piece is or, even, who is performing it. I just like the music.

Okay...okay...if I have to choose, I actually prefer a more recent composer: Tchaikovsky

Specifically, The Firebird Suite.

Last edited:
Who do you prefer?
Older classical, Stockhausen. Modern classical, Philip Glass.

Why isn't Tchaikovsky one of the choices?

Older classical, Stockhausen. Modern classical, Philip Glass.

Glass is my favorite.
2 is Bach, 3 Richter.
I wanted to limit the poll to the few all know.

Why isn't Tchaikovsky one of the choices?

Because he is not generally considered one of the top 5.
Heck, you could list 1,000.
I went to several classical sites to pick the top 5 . I did not pull them out of the air or because they are mine.

Led Zeppelin !!

Bach for the quality and breadth of his work, although I love them all. Nothing compares to listening to a Bach fugue in a church or cathedral.

(I’ve been to this church. Actually sat at that organ. The recording doesn’t do it justice.)

Bach for the quality and breadth of his work, although I love them all. Nothing compares to listening to a Bach fugue in a church or cathedral.

(I’ve been to this church. Actually sat at that organ. The recording doesn’t do it justice.)

I see this is from the Netherlands but it does not say which church. Having been there, can you tell me? Thanks
My church is located in the heart of the theater district in NYC. The concerts there are fantastic. Not just for organ but for atmosphere. The musicians and singers are all professionals from the area so it's not a local church concert like I get at my country place church.

I see this is from the Netherlands but it does not say which church. Having been there, can you tell me? Thanks

Sure. This is St. Bavo's Church (Grote Kirk, not the cathedral) in Haarlem near Amsterdam. Both the church and the organ have interesting histories:

The church, built in the Gothic style, is an important landmark for the city of Haarlem and has dominated the city skyline for centuries. The very first St. Bavo Church was mentioned in 1245 and was already considered prominent, among other things because of its belfry. The first part that was constructed of the new church was the choir. It was built from 1370 until 1400, and the transept was built from 1445 to 1455. The nave was finished in 1478.

The main eye-catcher in the Great Church is the impressive Müller organ dating from 1738, which is the most depicted instrument in the world.

It covers the whole west wall of the church and measures almost 30 metres from the ground. In the towering middle part the ‘werken’ (Rugwerk, Hoofdwerk en Bovenwerk), placed above each other, are clearly distinguishable; they are flanked on both sides with two enormous “pedal towers” in which pipes of almost 11 metres (32 feet) are placed.

Sure. This is St. Bavo's Church (Grote Kirk, not the cathedral) in Haarlem near Amsterdam. Both the church and the organ have interesting histories:

Very cool thanks! I love churches, concert halls and architecture in general.
Don't tell anyone but I go to church every Sunday as an atheist because it's such a great environment. Music, art, the pageantry, costumes, smells (incents) statues.
I often will drive an hour or more to see a church I have yet to attend.

Back
Top Bottom