• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who do you call?

Good4Nothin

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I mentioned in another thread that whenever I have problems I can't solve, I ask the Conscious Universe and it gives me the answers. Of course, the atheists here told me what I experienced didn't happen. It's fantasy, or illusion, or delusion, or wishful thinking, hallucinations, etc. My experiences couldn't be real, because that would mean atheism isn't true. And they "know" that atheism is true.

So I wonder who the atheists here call on if they need help. If they think all gods, guiding spirits, higher selves, etc., are imaginary.

What happens when your conscious ego runs out of ideas? Is there always some kind of human expert you can count on to solve all your problems? Do the answers just come to you out of nowhere?

Who do you call? Batman?

I mentioned in another thread that whenever I have problems I can't solve, I ask the Conscious Universe and it gives me the answers. Of course, the atheists here told me what I experienced didn't happen. It's fantasy, or illusion, or delusion, or wishful thinking, hallucinations, etc. My experiences couldn't be real, because that would mean atheism isn't true. And they "know" that atheism is true.

So I wonder who the atheists here call on if they need help. If they think all gods, guiding spirits, higher selves, etc., are imaginary.

What happens when your conscious ego runs out of ideas? Is there always some kind of human expert you can count on to solve all your problems? Do the answers just come to you out of nowhere?

Who do you call? Batman?

My Dad always had great advice for me. One of them was "If you need a helping hand, the closest one to you is at the end of your arm".

OM

This is an ego problem, not an intelligence problem. Just because you want there to be someone to call on doesn't mean there is. Wishes and dreams are not reality. Far too many people think they are. They are wrong.

My Dad always had great advice for me. One of them was "If you need a helping hand, the closest one to you is at the end of your arm".

OM

My post specifically said problems you can't solve with your conscious ego.

This is an ego problem, not an intelligence problem. Just because you want there to be someone to call on doesn't mean there is. Wishes and dreams are not reality. Far too many people think they are. They are wrong.

But if you never tried, then how do you know there isn't someone to call? Just because you believe materialism, and you would never look for evidence against it?

If you are not conscious of the problems then how do you know that they are there?

But if you never tried, then how do you know there isn't someone to call? Just because you believe materialism, and you would never look for evidence against it?

Give us an example of one of your problems and tell us how the conscious universe solved it.

Who says I haven't tried? Most atheists were religious beforehand.

Give us an example of one of your problems and tell us how the conscious universe solved it.

She won't be able to. Like all theists, she will say "I asked for something, something happened, therefore <fill-in-the-blank> is real". Correlation is not causation. Wanting there to be a god or a conscious universe or whatever doesn't make it real. To be valid, you must be able to draw a direct, demonstrable causal link between a real conscious universe and the event that happened. You can't just pretend that one caused the other. But that's all she'll be able to do.

Who do you call? Batman?

There are a lot of ways to handle that.

I meditate, go for a walk or drive somewhere I've never been and a lot of other weirder things that work for me. If you do work or hobbies that require creativity you find all sorts of ways. Basically you want to trick yourself out of a rut. Sounds like you have a method.

She won't be able to. Like all theists, she will say "I asked for something, something happened, therefore <fill-in-the-blank> is real". Correlation is not causation. Wanting there to be a god or a conscious universe or whatever doesn't make it real. To be valid, you must be able to draw a direct, demonstrable causal link between a real conscious universe and the event that happened. You can't just pretend that one caused the other. But that's all she'll be able to do.

If it's good, credit god, if it's bad credit satan (or blame yourself for not having enough faith).

If it's good, credit god, if it's bad credit satan (or blame yourself for not having enough faith).

Pretty much. You can never do anything good, you can only do evil and you're a terrible person regardless. The religious have some serious mental health problems.

I mentioned in another thread that whenever I have problems I can't solve, I ask the Conscious Universe and it gives me the answers. Of course, the atheists here told me what I experienced didn't happen. It's fantasy, or illusion, or delusion, or wishful thinking, hallucinations, etc.
I prefer to think of it as highly selective memory. (We should also note that yes, lots of claims about mystical experiences are hallucinations, or delusions, and so on. Hang around with someone with delusions, and then tell us how anecdotal reports of the fantastical should be accepted uncritically....)

We should note that lots and lots and lots of people engage in intercessory prayers, which are not answered. Similarly, there are lots of people with very different religious beliefs than you, who claim their prayers are answered. E.g. during the Hundred Years War, both sides constantly and devoutly prayed for victory, and treated any defeat as an indication that they had lost the favor of God, and any victory as proof that they had the favor of God -- do these types of claims make sense to you? On a less violent note, sports teams routinely make the same request, with both sides begging for divine victory. How are those requests any different than what you're proposing? Do you believe the Conscious Universe actually cares who wins a battle or a basketball game?

Or... Can you use prayer to cure cancer? If so, and if that process was even remotely reliable, then why would we need medical treatments?

Sorry, but anecdotes that are applied without any degree of rigor or objective measurement are not valid. Better luck next time.

So I wonder who the atheists here call on if they need help.
The police, the fire department, friends, parents, neighbors, teachers, elected officials, community groups... All of which, by the way, have a better track record than deities.

What happens when your conscious ego runs out of ideas?
Like... When I can't figure out an answer for a crossword?

Is there always some kind of human expert you can count on to solve all your problems?
No.

Do the answers just come to you out of nowhere?
No. What you do is... figure **** out. Or, you don't.

Forgetting all the times when the universe did not help. How the universe could help and how it actually works still has to be explained.

Forgetting all the times when the universe did not help. How the universe could help and how it actually works still has to be explained.

Yup. Remember the hits and ignore the misses. Or, like a lot of Christians do, make up an ad hoc rationalization for why it doesn't work out for them. "God just says no". It's just ridiculous.

I prefer to think of it as highly selective memory. (We should also note that yes, lots of claims about mystical experiences are hallucinations, or delusions, and so on. Hang around with someone with delusions, and then tell us how anecdotal reports of the fantastical should be accepted uncritically....)

We should note that lots and lots and lots of people engage in intercessory prayers, which are not answered. Similarly, there are lots of people with very different religious beliefs than you, who claim their prayers are answered. E.g. during the Hundred Years War, both sides constantly and devoutly prayed for victory, and treated any defeat as an indication that they had lost the favor of God, and any victory as proof that they had the favor of God -- do these types of claims make sense to you? On a less violent note, sports teams routinely make the same request, with both sides begging for divine victory. How are those requests any different than what you're proposing? Do you believe the Conscious Universe actually cares who wins a battle or a basketball game?

Or... Can you use prayer to cure cancer? If so, and if that process was even remotely reliable, then why would we need medical treatments?

Sorry, but anecdotes that are applied without any degree of rigor or objective measurement are not valid. Better luck next time.

The police, the fire department, friends, parents, neighbors, teachers, elected officials, community groups... All of which, by the way, have a better track record than deities.

Like... When I can't figure out an answer for a crossword?

No.

No. What you do is... figure **** out. Or, you don't.

Good point. Why doesn't this helpful conscious universe eradicate cancer?

Yup. Remember the hits and ignore the misses. Or, like a lot of Christians do, make up an ad hoc rationalization for why it doesn't work out for them. "God just says no". It's just ridiculous.

Most of the universe is a long long long way away in space and time. How does this help get through?

Most of the universe is a long long long way away in space and time. How does this help get through?

Hell if I know, but it makes them feel good, therefore it has to be true.

What part of pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps doesn't involve the conscious ego?

OM

Who do you call? Batman?

At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want. -Lao Tzu

You're not "getting your answers from the conscious universe" , you're getting them from yourself. Plain and simple.

That sure would be helpful wouldn't it?

I think the OP is far more interested in trying to figure out a way to belittle and deride non-believers.
It's not working very well is it?

That sure would be helpful wouldn't it?

I think the OP is far more interested in trying to figure out a way to belittle and deride non-believers.
It's not working very well is it?

No, it is not going according to plan. The word backfired comes to mind.

Back
Top Bottom